[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's get autistic about the Skywalker lightsaber in Th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: lightsaber.png (162 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
lightsaber.png
162 KB, 819x460
Let's get autistic about the Skywalker lightsaber in The Force Awakens.

This is supposed to be the same lightsaber that Anakin made and Luke got from Obi-wan, but J.J seems to have gotten how to turn the lightsaber on wrong. In the OT, you can see Luke igniting it by using the big switch on the side of the lightsaber (the red arrow in the pic). You can see it in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw

I don't remember if they showed the lightsaber igniting differently in any of the other movies, but it's pretty clear there. And the visuals dictionaries and lightsabers used that as the power switch, too. But in TFA, there's a clear shot of Finn using a button near the top to turn it on (the white arrow in the picture). It's a tiny detail, and it doesn't matter at all, but it's sill kind of a funny mistake. I'm actually kind of surprised that I haven't seen the wookiepedia-type turboautists complaining about it here with all the recent backlash.
>>
how does a lifesaver even work? shouldnt the blade keep going forever?
>>
is the handle made of windshield wipers?
>>
FINALLY someone else noticed this! After the first screening this was what bothered me most with MaryRey Sues force powers.
>>
>>64706398
Both buttons are need. It's a failsafe. That's a good trick.
>>
>>64706428
I'm no wookipedia autist, but I always thought of them as basically flamethrowers spewing something like plasma. The 'flame' can only project so far so it doesn't go on forever or just fire off the blade like a projectile. And the 'flame' has something like magnetism so that they can make contact with each other or deflect blaster pulses.
>>
File: ls2.jpg (19 KB, 400x257) Image search: [Google]
ls2.jpg
19 KB, 400x257
Lightsaber is actually camera flashlight stick

Lucas is such a hack
>>
>>64706398
You know what really annoys me?

In the OT back when they hand painted the lightsabers, they gave them a blade shape. If you pay attention when he's twisting the lightsaber, you'll see that it has tapered edges.

In the prequels and TFA, lightsabers are tubed shaped.
>>
>>64706398
I wonder how they managed to get it back from Bespin.
>>
>>64706981
Apparently, J.J. went through the trouble of finding the original flash units to make props for TFA, which makes this mistake kind of weird. Why would he care about reproducing the original that much and then get the switch wrong?

>>64706990
I think that's only in ANH. In that movie, the original idea for the lightsaber effect was using reflective rotating sticks, and they made the blades in a triangular shape that had edges. The effect sucked, so they rotoscoped over them, but the edges probably stayed there. A different effect was used for ESB and ROTJ, and I'm pretty sure they look like tubes in those movies, too.
>>
What with space travel and all, isn't it possible that it can be activated with more than one switch, or that a safety was added/removed?
>>
>>64706398
I never noticed how easy it was to see the cut between the light saber without the fake blade and the one with the fake blade.
>>
>>64707144
>Apparently, J.J. went through the trouble of finding the original flash units to make props for TFA, which makes this mistake kind of weird. Why would he care about reproducing the original that much and then get the switch wrong?

There's no way they didn't have the original props from the PT and the OT.
>>
>>64707756

>For Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, genuine Graflex flash units were used to make the lightsaber props. They were based on a hybrid of the A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back versions, as they feature the "glass eye" and "beer tab" top half parts from A New Hope, and circuit boards and 'T' tracks attached via screws bottom half from The Empire Strikes Back. To hide the Graflex logo, a "wrap" was created that covers most of the flash unit's clamp. The clamp appears more golden colored in The Force Awakens.

The originals are probably all in private collections or museum exhibits.
>>
>>64707756
>Props
>From a 70s movie

They don't build these things to last, mang. There's no "props bin" they return them to when they're done with the movie.
>>
>>64708503
>props
>from a series of movies literally 15 years ago
>>
>>64706398
>>64706398
JJ is a hack, what do you expect.
>>
File: tree.png (551 KB, 806x592) Image search: [Google]
tree.png
551 KB, 806x592
>>64706398

Didn't he loose that saber on Bespin so he built a new one with a green blade?
>>
>>64708948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks
>>
>>64706398
Yeah that's a pretty weird thing to mess up. Rey and Finn use it either properly or ambiguously enough to not be able to tell they did it wrong at the end of the movie. How do you fuck up a close up like that?
>>
>>64706398
I noticed this my secound viewing. If i recall correctly it wasn't the one pictured in OP but the one on the otherside because I remember thinking that was backwards too.

Awell it was only enough for me to muse what a fucking permavirgin nerd I am.

The only non autistic thing I noticed that was worth pointing out is that the ring piece that that makes contact with the base of the blade is subtly different to sell lightsaber props. It's split with rounded edges rather than a full ring like the old ones.

Much like the jagged studs of the ROTS version. All the same saber all slightly different.
>>
>>64706428
Think of it as a plasma chainsaw. It's a white hot burst of energy that's contained within a magnetic field, constantly cycling in on itself.
>>
>>64706398
How about the fact that lightsaber fell the to center of the gas planet cloud city was on, and yet shows up in TFA
>>
>>64710629
The force, bro.

The same thing happened in the EU, except it was the emperor who pulled it out, and it was so he could clone Luke from his hand.
>>
>>64710629
>lightsaber fell into bespin
>fact
>>
>>64710629
It fell somewhere into Cloud City, that's about all you can really know. Luke ended up in a garbage chute and was dumped for some reason (weigh limits?). The lightsaber could have ended up somewhere else in the garbage system, we didn't see it get dumped onto the planet with him.
>>
>>64710629
Technically we're not certain if the saber fell into the planet. When Luke dropped off that little platform he got sucked into some ducts in the innards of Cloud City. The same thing could have theoretically happened to his light saber...

but yeah, having that lightsaber come back for obvious nostalgia points is pretty fucking dumb.
>>
just another thing that was only used at a superficial level to induce nostalgia and validate the claim that they were respectful of the material, but in reality didnt take the time to understand
>>
>>64706428
The Lightsaver works by energy, normally sugar, and amazing flavors™
>>
No wonder /tv/ hates this movie so much, everyone here is autistic.
>>
>>64706398
I noticed this and got all autistic my first viewing of the film. I believe Luke's second lightsaber worked the same way with a switch more in the middle of the hilt. Every time i see finn hit that button near the top i get a little tingle in my peepee that lets me know when something is off
>>
>>64706398
those nobs are to control the length and width of the blade
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.