[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This shit is worse than the SW prequels in every way, but doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
This shit is worse than the SW prequels in every way, but doesn't get a fraction of prequels' hate.

Why is that?
>>
>>64705578
Because while the star wars prequels had memorability due to their shitness, the hobbit films were genuinely just horrific garbage.
>>
File: 1419969125917.gif (3 MB, 400x230) Image search: [Google]
1419969125917.gif
3 MB, 400x230
they're godawful but not as bad as the prequels. the prequels are "this movie is shit and has destroyed the franchse, i will rip these movies apart for the rest of my life" bad. the hobbit is "these movies are shit, but lotr isn't ruined and tolkein's work remains unaltereed. i'm going to never watch these again and forget about them" bad.
>>
Because star wars's primary canon is the movies, so the movies matter.

LOTR's primary canon is the books, so the movies don't matter.
>>
>>64705733
>they're godawful but not as bad as the prequels.
No, they're worse than the star wars prequels because there already was good material in the book.

The prequels have loads of space to move around since it wasnt a novel-series or an adaptation of whatever to begin with.
>>
>>64705733
What's this about?
>>
>>64705578
The prequels were hugely anticipated and were a major letdown. Nobody was dying to see the Hobbit and most people were expecting it to be lousy once they knew it was going to be split up among three movies.

The prequels also just had a lousy story overall. Unless you completely reboot it or whatever, there's no way to "fix" E1-3. The Hobbit, however, is a fine story and somebody could still try re-adapting it properly.
>>
File: 1524623738.jpg (8 KB, 220x276) Image search: [Google]
1524623738.jpg
8 KB, 220x276
>>64705578
I'm guessing because the hardcore fans of the Lord of the Rings have never been hardcore fans of The Hobbit and the fans of The Hobbit are not as cancerous as the Star Wars fandom.

The SW prequels had a lot of people trying to like them real hard and pretending to do so, but everyone that likes The Hobbit generally agrees that The Hobbit movies are a missed opportunity and overall shit.

When I heard Peter Jackson was gonna do The Hobbit as 2 movies, I thought "that sounds about right". Never been a fan of LoTR books but I love TH so I was hyped. Then they said 3 movies and I immediately knew it was gonna be shit. Anyone who read the book knew it couldn't be spread throughout 3 movies, so there's no disappointment factor like with SW prequels either.

I'm honestly more angry at the blown opportunity of having 1 or 2 good hobbit movies by a director that proved before that he can do it rather than this shitshow, but I will never get Plinkett levels of angry at it.
>>
>>64705578

OP is retarded

The worst things about the prequels:

>The obvious green/blue screen backdrops
>The visual effects
>The acting
>The characters
>The writing

The Hobbit did every one of those better.
>>
>>64705578
They were so rushed and so dragged out that it's honestly remarkable that they weren't worse.
Def not prequel tier, but I'll cut pete some slack because he literally just winged it.
>>
File: Monty Python.webm (1 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
Monty Python.webm
1 MB, 960x400
>>64705578

>he hasn't seen the extended edition
>>
>>64705791
Well, that also makes it not as bad, because you can always go back to the book.

The prequels are just shit and ruined SW for a lot of people. The only thing The Hobbit movies are going to ruin is the chance to have a movie adaptation that doesn't suck.
>>
File: 8UqXUCc.jpg (20 KB, 465x350) Image search: [Google]
8UqXUCc.jpg
20 KB, 465x350
>>64705967
>The Hobbit did every one of those better.
come on
>>
>>64705578

Because it's not even shitty enough to bother with.

I love the LotR movies and I love the Hobbit book. I never felt the need to bother with this shit after the first movie.

If I want to watch the Hobbit I will watch the old animated film.
>>
>>64706005
What the hell is that shit
>>
File: wBRjouh.jpg (450 KB, 1280x5000) Image search: [Google]
wBRjouh.jpg
450 KB, 1280x5000
>the hobbit 1
decent
>the hobbit 2
decent
>the hobbit 3
awful

>star wars episode 1
awful
>star wars episode 2
beyond awful
>star wars episode 3
decent
>>
No memes
>>
>>64705846
How old are you? People were losing their shit for the Hobbit. There were anons who travelled to New Zealand to see it and 'I'd kill today but I'm waiting for The Hobbit' where regular threads since at the latest 2009.
>>
>>64705578
Couple of reasons, in no particular order:

1) The Star Wars prequels, while awful, were really, really memorable; the endless memes on /tv/ prove that they're all burned in our brains forever. The Hobbit movies were just bland and forgettable, and it's hard to recall individual scenes.

2) The cinematic Middle Earth universe is an adaptation and not the original, so fans aren't as reliant on the quality of the films to "carry" the fanbase because they're always secondary. The Hobbit movies being garbage doesn't in any way taint the overall quality of Middle Earth because Middle Earth is literary first and foremost.

3) Middle Earth fans are less central to contemporary internet pop culture than Star Wars fans, so their gripes don't get blasted around as much.
>>
>>64706101
Man, that makes me so sad, specially knowing how good the process for that very same shot was in the LOTR movies.
>>
>>64706122
How old are you? People went absolutely nuts in the time building up to the release of the prequels. Sure some people were excited to see The Hobbit, but it pales in comparison to the fervor over Episode 1.
>>
>>64705578
because everyone expected to be mediocre

Maybe if the starwars prequels never existed expectations would have been higher for the hobbit
>>
>>64706122
I know that the majority of people that had read The Hobbit had bad expectations after hearing it would be 3 long ass movies, even knowing that Jackson did what he did with LOTR.
>>
>>64706101
What the hell is that floating face?
>>
>>64706283
An indicator of where Bilbo is, so Ian McKellen can act accordingly.
>>
>LOTR movies are seen as icing on the cake to a timeless book series
>Hobbit is a story that's easy to get into already so need for movies
>dozens of wiki's helped bring Middle Earth lore to the fore front of peoples minds before the hobbit films
>all the problems jackson had through production help us better understand why the movies were so awful, doesn't stop them from being awful though.

>The prequels were new original ideas in this awesome series from the man himself
>the prequels are made completely from stuff that didnt make the originals so great
>every character big or small in the originals are ruined forever because of their shitty origins
>vader ruined being the worst of all
>nothing is real
>not good movies let alone star wars movies
>>
>>64705578
Because people pretend that The Hobbit Movies were not meant so seriously and that they're just supposed to be comfy films and basically they lie to themselves so they don't need to realize what is the truth, hating the prequels is solely based on redditors opinions and manchildren.
>>
>>64706648
>>every character big or small in the originals are ruined forever because of their shitty origins
Characters who appeared in the prequels and originals
>Yoda
>Chewbacca
>Obi-Wan
>Anakin
>Sheev
>R2D2
>C3PO
The only character ruined in the prequels out of all of those is literally just 3PO.
But 3PO was always a Jar Jar tier character so nothing of value was lost.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.