[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: War_of_the_Worlds_2005_poster.jpg (20 KB, 236x350) Image search: [Google]
War_of_the_Worlds_2005_poster.jpg
20 KB, 236x350
What went wrong?
>>
Children were included.
>>
Nothing :)
>>
I give it 4/6, I wasn't expecting anything of this movie therefore I was happily surprised. it's entertaining, it's doing exactly what it has to, Spielberg is always good, Cruise is ok, Fanning and Chatwin are great (much much better than Cruise), and there's my Aewin ^^ . there are a few things that don't work or seem weird (the teenager survives, Boston is untouchable, in the scene of the car attack there's only 2 guys with guns?come on!), etc...
but still, it's very entertaining and well done.
>>
WotW was a dissappointment for me too, it seemed that it conc on tom C too much and didnt show enough of how they won, just voiced over it, also i'm not sure how one character made it. i prefered the other recent remake of the book, independence day
>>
i did love the special effects, although the aliens didnt look that scary, but i'm just dissapointed that we didnt see much of the defeat
>>
for me this movie was not good ... i did gave a 5/10 because of the special effects were pretty cool ... but for me the story was bad ... if i had to make this movie i would have done it a lot better :roll:
>>
>>64704634
They didn't make it a period piece. Late 1800's like the original would have been way better. And the guy following in the wake of destruction instead of being in the middle of it would have helped. Really just keeping kind of the suspenseful atmosphere and making it more horror than action would have improved things as well.

I just want one good adaptation of the book, just one.
>>
>>64705068
As in the book, the aliens are defeated by a virus while all human weaponry has prooved to be unefficient against them.

It IS the spirit of the movie. I prefer this to the risible attack made by humans in ID-4.

War of The World is a much much more pessimistic as the humans are totally weak against their opponent with no way to survive.

In the 1953 movie we see scientists also investigating a bio-chemical way of counter-attack but with no success (their work though makes a huge step thanks to the tentacle cut by the hero in the basement which gives them their first cellular sample).

For me, if aliens were able to cross space in a goal to exterminate us. We won't have much chance to defend ourselves. I like this total human inefficency regarding the events in the movie.

As always in popular movies, it ends well but ... with a defeat taste nevertheless as humans are absolutely not responsible for their victory.
>>
>>64705127
i dont mind the fact that they were killed by a virus that we didnt have anything to do with, its just the way its narrated away and you dont see the world wide collapse of the aliens you just see TC glance at them in passing, and as he's one of the only characters, they cant really bring in someone new to show them being defeated properly on screen like a scientist, but saying all this, i didnt feel cheated when i left the cinema like some of my time was taken away fom me, and if it was on sky movies or normal tv, i wouldnt say no to watching it
>>
Technically and visually it's really huge, awesome, violent, speedy, nervous, powerful, but the plot sucks, the dialogues suck, the end sucks, the whole story suck. We don't believe one second Cruise being this retard and changing unreasonably fast. And the son coming back is so cheap, we don't have any explanation, how could he possibly survive. When Cruise is getting caught by the machines, everybody helps, but when it's a godamn stranger nobody gives a care.

Overall we don't get bored, but it's just not possible, everything about the story is 2 cheap (the biggest thing being the death of aliens settled in 20 sec)

4/10 anyway.
>>
this movie sucked... fell alseep almost 3 times....cruise is horrible like alwasy

gave it a 0

you couldnt pay me to watch it again
>>
I was surprised at how much I liked the movie. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise's acting, but I have to admit that he manages to get roles in good movies. I was glued to the movie until the very end.
>>
I was interested in how the setting was completely different (Martians rise from ground) in the movie to the book (Martians arrive from space in tubes), and found this well-written short story which provides a link between the two settings, as well as an interesting view of the invasion; written from the martians' perspective. Some sophisticated narration techniques that you'll have to get your head around, but after that it provides a good link between the book and movie.

http://www.writen4u.com/title.asp?id=560

Appropriation of War of the Worlds, "Mastery of Vesania"
>>
delete this
>>
>>64705121
Never ever gonna happen sadly

They just HAVE to change it to fill their movie mold
>>
It was fucking all over the shop
>>
>>64705481
Nobody is gonna read your shit retard
>>
6/10 Nice effects
>tfw no pic related
>>
Honestly this is one of my top 50 movies for a highly realistic portrayal of a divorced father. It was his weekend for the kids: when that Monday rolled around, Cruise will do whatever is takes to get those kids back to their mother. He may be a louse, but he will not let the end of the world fuck up his joint custody.
>>
>>64705159
THATS THE FUCKING POINT RETARD

the movie is about one family trying to survive, it's not a grand scale thing like independence day where the President and all his generals are discussing what's going on
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.