[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rank them from best to worst.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 13
File: 4658.jpg (128 KB, 642x634) Image search: [Google]
4658.jpg
128 KB, 642x634
Rank them from best to worst.
>>
>>64700320
Cameron
---power gap---
tarantino
totoro
hackson
abrams
nolan
>>
Tarantino, jim, nolan, taco, jackson, jar jar
>>
>Cameron
>Tarantino
>Del Toro
>Jackson
>Nolan
>Abrams

A lot depends on how you gauge Jackson's career because he did make one masterpiece.
>>
1. Christopher Nolan
2. Guillermo Del Toro
3. Quentin Tarantino
4. J.J. Abrams
5. Peter Jackson
6. James Cameron
>>
Cameron > Jackson > Del Toro > Tarantino > Nolan > Abrams
>>
>>64700320
Nolan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shit > the rest
>>
Tarantino > Cameron > Nolan > Peter Jackson > power gap > Del Toro > massive power gap > Jew Jew
>>
>>64700440
>A lot depends on how you gauge Jackson's career because he did make one masterpiece.
¨
I hope you're talking about Braindead
>>
>>64700440

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring?
>>
>>64700320
Jackson > del Toro > Tarantino > Cameron = J.J > Nolan
>>
>>64700320
to be honest, most of them are kind of mediocre. Altho Nolan's movies are mostly meme factories at this point.
>>
Cameron >>>> Tarantino >> del Toro

The rest is irrelevant.
>>
>>64700511
Yeah. Of course.
>>
based on ratio of movies I've enjoyed to movies I've hated by each:

wow no that's too much work actually

>GDT/Tarantino
>Cameron/Nolan
>JJ/Jackson
>>
Bad Taste is better than anything the others have made

Abrams isn't a filmmaker he's a businessman
>>
>>64700450
Do you actually think that all of those people are better directors than Cameron?
>>
>>64700467
I'd put Cameron over tarentino, otherwise correct
>>
>>64700320
Nolan>>>>>>>>.Fat Luke>>The Big Lebowski>Jew Jew>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Meme=Cuck
>>
Good:
Decent: Tarantino
Okay:
Mediocre: Jackson, Del Toro (in order of mediocre to worse)
Bad: Nolan, Cameron, Abrams (in order of bad to worse)
>>
>>64700320

Nolan
Tarantino
Cameron
Del Toro = JJ
Jackson
>>
>>64700320
Cameron > Del Toro > Jackson > Tarantino > Nolan > JJ
>>
>>64700320
Del Taco
Cameron
Nolan
JJ
Tarantino
Jackson
>>
Nolan
Tortellini
Cameron
Jackson
Del Toro
Abrams
>>
Cameron > Del Toro > Nolan=Jackson=Tarantino > JJ
>>
>>64700320
Ranking after the shit they pump out today. And not because of some cult classic from the 80's.

Taco (the only one I actually like)
Tarantino
Abrams
Cameron
Nolan
Jackson
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 693x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 693x315
>>64700320
Tarantino
Cameron / Nolan
Taco
Jackson
Michael Bay
Abrams
>>
>>64700320
>tarantino
>jackson
>cameron
>nolan
>del torro
>jj
>>
Tagliatelle seems to be far more popular than I expected.
>>
Easy pleb filter

1. Cameron
2. Tarantino
3. Del Taco
4. Jackson (would rank 3 if not for the shit hobbit movies)
5. Nolan
6. The jew who destroyed star wars and star trek
>>
>>64700440
perfect.
>>
>yfw /tv/ actually likes nolan unironically
>>
>>64700320
Jackson>Tarantino>Nolan>Cameron>Del Toro>JJ
It's actually hard. The only thing sure is that JJ is the least talented. Del Toro's last film was very weak that's why I ranked him so low.
>>
Cameron>> tarantino>> del toro>>>>>>>>jackson (hobbit was shit)>>>> nolan and jj are both hacks
>>
>>64700320
Ranking them in terms of atractiveness

Abrams
Nolan
Cameron
Hackson
Tarantino
Guillermo
>>
Nolan > Del Toro > Cameron > Jackson > Tarantino > J.J
>>
>>64700320
BASED JIM
TARANTINO
NOLAN

*GAP*

HACKSON
DEL TACO

*BIGGER GAP*

JAR JAR
>>
>>64701926
he's not bad and his movies definitely have an identity, I just hate how he forces some of his movies to become shit. interstellar had so much potential if he could have for once made a normal movie without a forced twist. the docking scene served great as climax, everything that came after shits the bed. he did make memento though maybe he can write something great again some time
>>
the only good thing nolan's done is memento. the rest of his stuff is action, his best being inception. interstellar was way too flawed for how ambitious it tried being and exposed many of his shortcomings since making batman for years
>>
James Cameron, The Terminator
Guillermo del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth
Quentin Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs
Peter Jackson, Dead Alive
Christopher Nolan, Memento
JJ Abrams, Joy Ride (co-writer)
>>
>>64700320
>Tarantino
>Del Toro
>Peter Jackson
>Who?
>Jew jew
>James cameron
>>
Tarantino
Jackson
Cameron
Nolan
del Toro
Abrams
>>
It amazes me that anyone can seriously think Cameron is a mediocre film maker.

He's made some of the best spectacle movies ever: Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2. Even Titanic, which does have some obvious problems is one of the greatest examples ever of practice effects and devotion from a director for a project. With Avatar he used a technology that no one else has used better since.

Cameron would be the first to say that his movies aren't terribly complicated, but what he does, he does very well. He's also one of the most ambitious guys working today.

A director like Nolan, who presents his movies with an ultra-serious tone and talks of one of his (superhero!) films as being a love letter to A Tale of Two Cities, has convinced his fanbase that his films are far more than they are because he says things like this and always wears a suit and always looks glum. But when it comes to showing not telling and emotion and technical filmmaking, he can be terrible at times.
>>
Based Noland>Cameron>Jackson>Tarantula>>Del Toro>>>>JJ
>>
______
______
______
______
______
JewJew "the hack" Abrams
>>
>>64701926
Quite amazing actually.
>>
>>64700511
>>64700492
Solaris.
>>
>>64700320
Cameron
Tarentino
Nolan
Jackson
Del Toro
Abrams
>>
JJ is a piece of shit.

I doubt any respectable Director would think it appropriate to take on Star Wars after having mixed results with 2 Star Trek films; another old, beloved sci-fi series with a legacy beyond some tv director.

Hell, most of the top-tier directors in hollywood would turn Lucas down, insisting it was "his vision".
>>
For me personal (I order them in how much their movies, that I watched, entertained me).

Jackson
Nolan
Tarantino
Cameron
Del Toro
JJ
>>
Cameron
Jackson - Im giving him extra credit for LOTR and Dead Alive
Tarantino
Nolan - could be higher without forced plots
Del Toro
Abrams
>>
>>64700320
Cameron
Del Taco
Trantino
Nolan
Peter Hackson
JWJW Hackams.
>>
>>64702392
What?
>>
>>64702110
THIS FUCKING THIS!!!!
>>
>>64702392
the remake? that was Soderbergh.
>>
>>64702051
idk man it was an alright deus ex machina just thrown in there felt almost anime-like
>>
>>64700320
Del Toro
Nolan
Jackson
Cameron
Tarantino
======
??????
JJ
>>
>>64700320
Cameron
gap
Del Toro
Jackson
Nolan
gap
Tarantino
major gap
JJ
>>
>>64701926
He has usually a good eye for casting, cinematography has always been at least pleasant to see, his stories haven't always been coherent but he has tried to stand out with some films like Memento.
>>
Tarantino
early Jackson
Del Toro
Cameron
Nolan
current Jackson
Abrams
>>
>>64703712
well i did not like that at all
>>
>>64702257
All of Cameron movies are unofficial remakes, all of them, on a technical level he is great, but he never made anything that was original, what he does is basically shamelessly rip off shot by shot obscure movies and apply amazing special effects.

You criticize Nolan for making ultra serious movies, so what, he's doing things his way, he's not the best director in the fucking world but he is above average and average nowadays is pretty mediocre.
>>
>>64702257
>>64700666
if you guys could chill with the cameron circle jerk that'd be great. He's not that incredible. I'd consider Tarantino to be way more talented stylistically and writing wise
>>
File: 1347962682305.png (61 KB, 212x218) Image search: [Google]
1347962682305.png
61 KB, 212x218
You guys are all a bunch of newfags, a real /tv/friend would never praise Cameron.
>>
>>64704205
We're talking about directing not writing. How is Cameron not a great director?
>>
>>64700320
Cameron
Del Toro
Nolan
Jackson
Abrams
Tarantino
>>
All Cameron "flicks" are overlong, True Lies being the worst offender.
>>
>>64700320
>no Malick

dropped
>>
>>64700320
1. Meme
2. Meme
3. Meme
4. Meme
5. Meme
6. Meme
>>
>>64704541
the first two terminators are fine
>>
>>64704562
Malick is a cinematographer who edits very long documentaries, this thread is for cinema not nature docs.
>>
>So many people not ranking Tarantino as the worst

Cuckolds the lot of you
>>
>>64704105
>"average nowadays is pretty mediocre"

What are you trying to say here? Do you know what mediocre means?

Most films are derivative or pastiche. Nolan usually has very good concepts, but in technical filmmaking, he's not even close to people like Cameron or Spielberg or Fincher. He's actually really lazy at times. It's easy to compare Cameron and Nolan as well because they are both directors of spectacle rather than character. Cameron just does it much better with his greater attention to detail, ambition and quest for perfection.
>>
>>64704637
But muh beautiful grass...
>>
File: 1286732333149.jpg (40 KB, 614x713) Image search: [Google]
1286732333149.jpg
40 KB, 614x713
>>64704562
>Malick
>>
Tarantino
Nolan
Del toro
Jackson
Cameron
Jj
>>
Jim
Peter
Nolan
Del Toro
Tarantino
JJ
>>
>>64702257
I agree with everything you wrote about Cameron but not the Nolan blurb. Every time a Nolan film ends I wind up saying to myself that's one of the best films I've ever seen and it has nothing to do with him wearing suits or saying his films are deep.
>>
>>64700320
>Del Toro
>Nolan = Pre-Hobbit Jackson
>Cameron = Pre-Django Tarantino = Current Jackson
>
>
>
>Modern Tarantino
>Arbrams
>>
>>64704689
You are basically bringing director like Nolan and Cameron to your preconception of what directing a movie should be, a director is an artist and is up to him to choose how to present their work.

I know what mediocre means, I didn't express myself correctly, what I'm trying to say is that, what is considered decent is actually shit.
>>
>>64704360
It's a post-ABATARP /tv/.
>>
>>64705283
his work*
>>
File: 1442836962814.png (180 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1442836962814.png
180 KB, 400x388
>>64705328
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
File: 1361489684935.png (75 KB, 851x871) Image search: [Google]
1361489684935.png
75 KB, 851x871
Jackson
Nolan
Cameron
Del Toro
Tarantulatino
Jew Jew

Peter Jackson could make literally nothing but bad, awful, sickeningly bad movies for the rest of his career. He could ruin a dozen different beloved franchises and murder anywhere up to seven people and it still wouldn't completely undo the sheer amount of good will that he has earned from me for directing LOTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqT5_AAPgo
>>
>>64700320
Tarantino
Cameron
Del Toro
Nolan
Jackson
Abrams
>>
>>64705627
Jackson made great movies before lord of the rings.
>>
>>64705777
Trips of truth
>>
>>64705023
>Every time a Nolan film ends I wind up saying to myself that's one of the best films I've ever seen

Are you serious anon?
>>
>>64700320
whoever is best, Jew Judas is the biggest, most overrated by his own kikeship meme director of the past 70-100 years.
>>
Cameron
Tarantino = Nolan
Del Toro
Jackson
Abrams

What puts Jewjew at the bottom is his refusal to bring anything new to the game. He just regurgitates safe forgettable shit.
>>
Jackson (for LotR) = Nolan (for opening scene of TDKR)

Power gap

Cameron (for printing money)
Del Toro (for making creative weird shit)
Tarantula (some of his older films are entertaining)

power gap

Jew Jew binks
>>
Cameron
Jackson
Tarantino
Totoro
Nolan
Uwe Boll
Judenschwein Judas Abrams
>>
>>64700320
Nolan
Jim
Tarantula
Totoro
Kekson
JJ
>>
>>64706317
>Del Toro (for making creative weird shit)
Isn't that what cinema should be about?
>>
File: 1448018538939.jpg (214 KB, 345x336) Image search: [Google]
1448018538939.jpg
214 KB, 345x336
>>64706357
>Totoro
>>
>>64700320
Jackson
Cameron
Del Taco
Tarantino
Nolan
Abrams
>>
>>64700359
Switch hackson and Nolan
>>
File: 1450197229026.jpg (100 KB, 548x702) Image search: [Google]
1450197229026.jpg
100 KB, 548x702
>>64700320
Based Jim
Uno Farto
Totoro
Hackson
JewJew
EagleBrow
>>
>>64700320
too easy

1. Cameron
2. Del Toro
3. Tarantino
4. Jackson
5. Nolan
6. Abrams
>>
>>64706317
Pleb.
>>
>>64704541
You mean Tarantino.
Jesus Christ, The H8ful Ei8ht M8s was at least 60 minutes too long, with the second last chapter and its shitty exposition completely unnecessary.
The only Cameron film one could consider too long would be the DC of Abyss and even then you would have to be some serious autist with ADHD syndrome as those scenes enrich the film and make it less illogical.

Out of all the directors in OP's pic it is Cameron who paces his movies best.
>>
File: IMG_7649.jpg (240 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7649.jpg
240 KB, 1280x720
>>64704360
>>
>Tarantino
>Nolan
>Jackson
>Cameron
>JJ
>Del Toro
>>
Why does /tv/ have such shit taste?

>JJ Abrams
Why the fuck would you watch JJ Abrams films? What the fuck has he even done? I've only seen TFA, and it was ok, but why would you want to rank his directorial skill? Mission Impossible III? Star Trek? Why the fuck would anyone who is into cinema watch these movies?

>Cameron
Great at making successful entertaining movies, which are usually lacking in depth.

>Del Toro
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was pretty nice. Only other film I've seen is Pacific Rim and it was just a robot fighting film (which is great if the sole idea of robots fighting excites you, but it doesn't really have that much value outside of that). Never seen Hellboy, don't really know much about the rest. Once again, why is this guy being talked about.

>Jackson
Brilliantly adapted the LOTR books. Nothing else he's ever done is worth talking about.

>Nolan
Has actually made some good films, and has some great ideas, but ultimately he has some limitations that will forever bar him from ever being considered a great director.

>Tarantino
Has made some great films in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Clearly the most skilled of the group. Can be overly self indulgent, increasingly throughout his career.
>>
>>64700320
Nolan
Del Toro
Tarantino
Jackson
Cameron
Abrams
>>
File: 3471987891.png (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
3471987891.png
85 KB, 500x500
Cameron
Tarantino
Nolan = Jackson
Del Totoro

POWER GAP

Jar Jar
>>
>>64707522
We're ranking directing ability, not writing. Pleb
>>
I dont like Jim but he is objectively the best director here
Cameron
Jackson
Tarantino
Del Toro
Nolan
JJ
>>
1. cameron
2. del toro
3. jackson
4. tarantino
5. nolan
6. jj
>>
>>64707759
But a director has final say on what goes in and what doesn't go in a film. If he constantly works on shit screenplays that's just as much his fault as a director.
>>
>there are people on /tv/ right now that actually think Christopher Nolan is a good director
>>
File: cliche.png (215 KB, 506x312) Image search: [Google]
cliche.png
215 KB, 506x312
>>64707895
Yeah but based on Titanic alone, Cameron is better than tarantula as a director. You really slob Tarantino's knob too much for being clever.
>>
>>64700320
Tarantula
Nolan
Jackson
Cameron
Guillermo
Jew Jew
>>
>>64708042
I disagree, simply because Titanic is nowhere near as great a film as Pulp Fiction.
>>
>>64702110
Yeah
>>
>>64707270
Clearly you don't belong here, infesting /tv/ with your putrid reddit memes, get out.
>>
>>64707759
>I cannot imagine making a film based on a screenplay I didn't write. A director who makes a film entirely based on somebody else's screenplay necessarily becomes an illustrator [...].

>So given a very good and "cinematic" screenplay another director assigned to it would have nothing to do. And if a screenplay is presented in the form of a work of literature the director will be forced to start everything anew.

>Whenever a director begins working on a screenplay it invariably begins to change, no matter how deep or detailed the screenplay is. The director will never produce a film which is an exact, literal translation, a mirror image of the screenplay. There will always occur certain deformations. That's why cooperation between a director and a screenwriter turns as a rule into a battle and a search for compromises. It is not impossible to make good films this way even if during the preparatory work the original ideas break down and the director and the screenwriter build a new conception based on the old "ruins."

>Nevertheless, the most natural variant in film making would be when the ideas do not have to break down and deform but instead develop organically as in the case where the director writes the screenplay himself, or another variant — the author of the screenplay decided to make the film himself [...].

>In short, I think the only good screenwriter for a director is a good writer.
>>
>>64707522
Pleb.
>>
>>64708203
ALL ME
L
L

M
E
>>
File: 1428362661782.gif (2 MB, 232x174) Image search: [Google]
1428362661782.gif
2 MB, 232x174
Rather than rate them, I'll rate my favorite movie from each.

The Terminator > The Two Towers > Pan's Labyrinth > Four Rooms > Memento > Mission Impossible III

And a nice .gif so people will find my stop to read my opinion while scrolling.
>>
>>64708429
>Four Rooms
I've never seen this tarantula movie. Mostly read it was a total trainwreck that Tarantino himself distanced himself from.
Is it actually any good?
>>
>>64708557
Robert Rodriguez segment was the best one in the whole movie, everything else was boring filler.
>>
>>64708098
Pulp Fiction is highly overrated.
>>
>>64700320
1.Cameron
2.Jackson
3.Tarantino
4.Del Toro
5.Nolan
6.Abrams
>>
>>64708702
It's still very good ≥8/10
>>
>>64700450
Dude, you wrote it backwards
>>
>>64708557
The different segments are really hit and miss, but if you go into it purely with the mindset that you're there to watch Tim Roth, it becomes fan-fucking-tastic.

Each segment / room is progressively better though, so stick with it.
>>
>>64700359
this except abrams is a bigger hack than nolan
>>
>Tarantino
>Jackson
>Del Toro
>Cameron
>Nolan
>Abrams
>>
>>64708557
Tarantino and Rodriguez segments are okay. The rest is shit. Tim Roth is incredibly annoying in trying to be funny.
>>
Jim Cameron>Guillermo Del Taco>Quintin Tarantino>Peter Jackson>Christopher Brolan> Jar Jar Abrams

Best Movies
Cameron: Aliens
Del Toro: Pan's Labyrinth
Tarantino: Reservoir Dogs
Jackson: King Kong
Nolan: Memento
Abrams: Super 8
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.