[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ screenwriting general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: swg.jpg (3 KB, 206x213) Image search: [Google]
swg.jpg
3 KB, 206x213
Got a new idea that's going to blow yours cocks off.

Not going to tell you though.

Post your ideas and screenplays! Let's work together to make it.
>>
I suffer from a lack of getting started.

I always get hung up on
>Setting
>Genre

I just don't know what the fuck to write about. Everything I try to come up with on my own, is just a fucking rip off of something else...

Then I start fucking even harder by contemplating "history reworked into a fiction".

:(

Fuck man, it's so hard.

When I was a younger man, I could just take a walk outside and ideas would flood my brian, now I can't create anything that isn't a self-serving narcissistic self-insert where the main character is this rapey handsome protagonist whom women can't resist to resist.
>>
>>64686422
Alright then, let's get this shit moving since no one likes /fmg/ anymore.

Coming back to a silent action script I left unfinished a while ago. Gonna try and work out the bugs so I can actually shoot a short for once.
>>
>>64686515
Put those ideas out on paper and have a bonfire with them. Then get a little drunk and try to come up with something.
>>
File: 1433551555573.jpg (184 KB, 680x962) Image search: [Google]
1433551555573.jpg
184 KB, 680x962
>>64686515
>now I can't create anything that isn't a self-serving narcissistic self-insert where the main character is this rapey handsome protagonist whom women can't resist to resist.
>>
>>64686515
Rip off something, then just change the genre and switch the MC's sex. That'll be enough to get your own footing.
>>
>>64686515
the great artists steal

>>64686422

planning to make a short 10 min film

want it to do something with coming to age

the protagonist comes from a religious family who hates god

takes place during the grunge movement so early 90's
>>
>>64686633
>silent action
Just don't fucko.
>>
The worst part of screenwriting is trying as hard as you can not to sound like Terence Malick dialogue.

He set a good bar for wankery, something everyone needs to avoid when writing.
>>
File: The-Office-Email-Survelliance.jpg (51 KB, 540x306) Image search: [Google]
The-Office-Email-Survelliance.jpg
51 KB, 540x306
Ok guys, since i like ya I'll let you in on some of my "theories" to script writing.

Guns.

How many times do you notice that movies often feature guns as the single most important object that brings about climaxes, deaths, thrills, etc.

Guns are almost always a thing in every movie out there--it just werks.

Everytime I try thinking up a screenplay with a gun, it turns into bourne identity or badlands (both great movies, but they've been done to death already).
>>
A group of Scream/The Strangers/You're Next-tier home invaders accidentally attack an alien sleeper cell disguised as a human family. The aliens misinterpret the attack as a government uncovering them and attempt to call in a mass invasion from their home world. It's up to our anti-heroes to stop them.
>>
>>64686733
Why not?
>>
Here's a script idea for anyone bold enough to go with it.
Oscar bait out the ass.

>The Hidden
>MC is a little Arabic girl around 12 or 13
>Living normal life with her family
>Doesn't have to wear a Hijab since her family is a little more progressive
>ISIS-esque group begins gaining power
>Takes shit down
>The MC's family goes into hiding from the group
>Spend a year or two in hiding
>Family shit
>They're fucking found
>ISIS-esque kills everyone except for the little girl and her older sister
>They're kept to be sex slaves
>Cut to 8 months later
>The girls look like shit
>End up dying from dehydration

tl;dr
>Anne Frank in the Middle East.
>>
>>64686821
Watch some other movies.

John Woo's The Killer is pretty good, if over-the-top.
>>
>>64686842
Sounds exactly like this kinda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxLybfGNC4
>>
>>64686961
How does his plot sound in any way like The 5th Wave

More Attack The Block than anything.
>>
File: reactionface.png (34 KB, 603x557) Image search: [Google]
reactionface.png
34 KB, 603x557
lol guys, let's meet up in a tinychat please?
>>
>>64686983
The aliens in the 5th wave also control humans and use their bodies as hosts.
>>
guys, go to tiny chat dot come slash lit

live chatroom for u on this fine saturday night.
>>
Alright, it's like Fly Boys. But in the UK
>>
File: 1370711185060.jpg (98 KB, 499x621) Image search: [Google]
1370711185060.jpg
98 KB, 499x621
>>64687093
HOLY SHIT THERE IS A GRILL HERE!?!
>>
>>64687093
>>64687129
Oh come on! Someone joined for one second then left!
>>
What if Terrence Malick made a horror movie? My idea.

A young man in the early 60s robs a few dive bars with an ex-hooker, then she knocks him out cold and leaves him for a truck driver. Think True Romance/Badlands

He washes up in a town looking for her, and starts drinking paint thinner mixed with gasoline, and sells it as high proof alcohol. The strange local gang/cult takes notice and and he begins working with them. Think the Master

He starts to take part in their rituals involving psychedelic drugs and fire, praying to the sun and dancing under the stars, as well as extreme violence and human sacrifice. By this point he can barely even remember his girlfriend, just the rage she left in him. It's suggested she might be in charge of all of the chaos his cult has committed, that she is secretly a transvestite, but really that she is secretly an alien.

And then it ends with him watching one of his fellow gang members having a Viking funeral. As he watches the boat burn on the ocean, he hallucinates the future. He sees the Vietnam War, and recognizes his inevitable future of burning civilians to death with napalm. It ends with him laughing maniacally into the ocean sunrise.

I think I'm gonna call it "the Long Slow Burn".
>>
>>64687382
>He sees the Vietnam War
This reminds me of The Jar
>>
>>64686821
I'm thinking of throwing a gun in my third act, but it seems cliche.
>>
>>64687767
Something like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0
>>
>>64687382
That escalated beyond expectation...
>>
Why the fuck did Spillshit think he could get away with a "catch-phrase" in "Bridge of Spies" (aka "would it help?")

Yuck.
>>
>>64687382
dibs
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (102 KB, 1024x955) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
102 KB, 1024x955
>>64687382
what the fuck
>>
Do movies that don't have a target audience in mind ever get made?

Like you know what I mean right?

There are so many gay marketing strategies that go into movies now, it almost always ruins them.
>>
>>64686515

PUT IDEAS IN A BLENDER

my last screenplay was Taxi Driver + Maniac + LSD Trip thrown in a Blender

right now im working on a Western
>>
>>64686422
Deadpool Kills the Marvel universe
We get to see every Capeshit faggot die.
>>
>>64688104
It actually happened.
>>
File: bush.jpg (15 KB, 202x279) Image search: [Google]
bush.jpg
15 KB, 202x279
what's the last show/movie that inspired you a lot?
>>
>>64688482
I found myself rewatching A History of Violence....

I didn't even know it was directed by Cronenberg, but damn it's good.

It has an OST that brings you back to those super well produced 90s films that made you feel nostalgia by the end of the film...
>>
I know literally NOTHING about writing and story telling, how should i begin?
>>
>>64686422
Currently going through some character design. Creating inward and outward opposition for my character. Chomping at the bit, to get into some writing, but really fighting it as i'm under prepared.
>>
>>64688567
Hmmm....

Whenever I'm writing something I struggle like fuck for the characters and setting, but the character part isn't super hard for me...but maybe that's perhaps I never gotten as far as developing a complicated character...
>>
>>64688646
genre and setting*
>>
>>64688560
The best part is, you DO know a lot about writing because you've seen many films before.

You know you got a main character, a bad guy, a beginning, middle, end, and around the 70-90% part of the film, you have your most exciting moment.

I suggest you write something just knowing that before learning any theory. Write a total fuckign piece of shit, have people tell you it's shit, then start to learn theory and techniques and why they work so well.

If you mean, exact formatting and how a screenplay even looks, then you learn by 1) reading screenplays, 2) using software which automatically shows you and 3) reading books or google to format.
>>
>>64688681
Don't listen to this guy--"film theory" kills films by making them formulaic.

what you gotta do is watch the films you love and reverse engineer why you think they are so great--what is is about the specifically that make you go back and watch them again and again.

The pacing, the audio, the cinematography, etc.
>>
>>64688681
thanks fampai

I think I should write shit and fix it every time following a screenplay format
>>
>>64688773
I'll keep this in mind too
>>
>>64687986
In a good way?
>>
>>64687382
I don't see a lot money here.
>>
>>64686880
What's the story here? Is it mostly about hiding and avoiding detection? Where is the drama? I sense it is in "Family shit," but that seems like the whole movie and you don't explain any of it.
>>
>>64688560
The basics of storytelling aren't all that difficult to grap. Create a character (whose story is it?), introduce a change in that character's life that gives reason for the plot of the story to exist, and then create adversities/obstacles which the character must overcome in order to reach his or her goal, and thus complete his or her character arc. It really is that simple.

The biggest problem young writers face, and the reason why a lot of them get stuck, give up and fail, is because they have poor knowledge about the subject matter they are writing. Their characters end up being carbon copies of cliches they've seen on tv/movies, and the stories are equally as dull and devoid of personality.

The best advice I can give to someone who, as you put it, knows "literally NOTHING about writing and story telling", is to begin with a character and story that you personally know a lot about, and if you don't know much about anything than begin to research about things that interest you personally. You should intimately get to know the subject matter you plan to write about.
>>
File: 1445028142818.jpg (16 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1445028142818.jpg
16 KB, 225x225
>>64687382
stolen
>>
>>64688997
>The biggest problem young writers face, and the reason why a lot of them get stuck, give up and fail, is because they have poor knowledge about the subject matter they are writing. Their characters end up being carbon copies of cliches they've seen on tv/movies, and the stories are equally as dull and devoid of personality.

Are you kidding? Have you ever seen spielberg's movies? All his characters are exactly what you described.
>>
>>64688166
I doubt it could get produced in the US, but movies like "The Witch" give me hope. Essentially it would have to be advertised as something it's not. There's a lot more dark comedy than I put in the summary, the trailers could make it seem much lighter, but still dark and violent, again, like Badlands and True Romance.
>>
What even is there to write about anymore--that's low budget? Like fucken think about it.

Society is so dead and there isn't really anything to draw from the real world...

What do people even make movies about anymore? Wallstreet slime balls? Silicon valley dip shits? "Le secret narcho cia bad cop"?

Blech! Why did movies used to be so much better, and how come we have less cool shit to draw from?
>>
>>64689233
What do you mean less to draw from? We live in an age of terrorist paranoia, ISIS, woman finally standing up for themselves, trannies finally standing up for themselves, babies born with smart phones, fucking everyting.
>>
>>64689369
you forgot baneposting
>>
>>64688984
Read Anne Frank's diary, anon.
I'm not actually going to write a whole movie for you.
Be creative.
>>
>>64689423
Oh no, I only meant to help you develop the idea, but it seems you got it. Why aren't you writing it?
>>
I keep seeing every plot I think of and break it down to its most cliche basic form whilst thinking of similar movies. This, in turn, puts me off on all my actual plot ideas... I love brainstorming characters, settings, and basic premises.
>>
>>64689499
Oh, thanks.
I might but I figure there would be issues appropriating that story.
Don't forget, technically her diary is owned by Jews.

Besides, I've got other things going on.

That's why I decided to throw it out there.
>>
>>64689566
I had an ancient history teacher tell me that the ancient greeks figured out that there are practically only 5 different types of stories or some shit like that...

Wish she explained it when she mentioned it.

But archetypes are a thing though.
>>
>>64689655
There's only one type of story, anon.
"Who am I?">>64689655
>>
File: 1412533499199.png (41 KB, 197x204) Image search: [Google]
1412533499199.png
41 KB, 197x204
>>64689684
>>
bump fr screnplay
>>
So I see a lot of ideas, but no writing.

Do you guys realize writing often is how you get better? No such thing as a golden idea.
>>
>>64692029
writing often won't necessarily get anyone anywhere. developing an idea and reaching a goal is how you get better. you could write "often", produce complete drivel, and still be no better a writer than you were when you first started. most of the improvement does not happen on the page but in your head.
>>
>>64692379
>>64692029
I think the truth lies somewhere in between here
>>
>>64689655
wHat does "to be happy in paradise" meaN
>>
>>64686842
Ignore that 5th Wave retard, this is a very clever, original, straightforward idea. Write it fast, because I'm about to steal it.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.