[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, was hoping to get some recommendations from you. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: serveimage.jpg (2 MB, 3333x5000) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
2 MB, 3333x5000
Hey guys, was hoping to get some recommendations from you. I really liked the movie Drive, to a lesser extend the movie It Follows, and the game Hotline Miami. What do these all have in common? They have dat 80s feel. Flashy neon lights, long stretches of dark road in a fast car. Drive in particular, and Hotline Miami's cut scenes had it. It's this particular feel and I want movies like it. I love the 80s, but it isn't strictly necessary, I suppose.

Hell, I don't know if It Follows was in the 80s, or the 90s, or maybe even modern, but it had that feel I'm looking for. Is it a focus on quiet moments with the scenery passing by? Who knows, thanks in advance bros.
>>
>>64685107
Only God Forgives
Then watch the documentary my life directed by Nicholas Winding Refn
>>
>>64685107
You're Next and The Guest.

Also watch John Carpenter films. He's the guy that inspired all these throwback movies.
>>
>>64685107
It follows was more 70s I believe , it had a strong John Carpenter vibe going on
>>
Thief
Body Double
American Gigolo
>>
>>64685107
>extend
>>
File: neonbed.jpg (939 KB, 960x800) Image search: [Google]
neonbed.jpg
939 KB, 960x800
Look up "Neon Noir"
>>
>>64685126
I started to watch Only God Forgives, but was turned off (by cheesiness?) Will give it another shot. Will look into the doc.

>>64685152
>>64685156
John carpenter, gotcha. I've seen Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, and Big Trouble In Little China. Anything in particular, or just ALL John Carpenter?

>>64685218
What?
>>
>>64685418
Watch Escape from New York , They Live , Prince of Darkness , he had a whole bunch of cool 80s films
>>
>>64685152
The guest is great for dat 80s synth score that feels very inspired by Carpenter
>>
>>64685780

>The Guest

I was on the fence on this one. Trailer looked like it could go either way.Going to check it out now.

Also, OP, I've been feeling that 80s nostalgia pull too (Hotline Miami movie when?) Good job starting this thread.

If I could add one, I thought House of the Devil capture that 80s horror feel really well.
>>
>>64685922
The Guest is terrible.
It's only redeeming quality is Dan Stevens acting.
Everyone else is soap opera tier and the music just sounds like it's the directors friends bands.
>>
File: ho.jpg (65 KB, 1600x301) Image search: [Google]
ho.jpg
65 KB, 1600x301
>>64685984

Well fuck.

... a couple more recommendations for you though OP, Hobo with a Shotgun and season two of Danger 5 are both balls deep in 80s nostalgia.
>>
File: 20110821-065708.jpg (312 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20110821-065708.jpg
312 KB, 1920x1080
blade runner is worth a shot
>>
>>64686083
Counterpoint. The Guest is one of the most entertaining movies from the last few years and the soundtrack is excellent.

Most of the actors are bad but it doesn't detract from the movie too much since the entire thing is going for the feeling of straight to video garbage in the first place.
>>
>>64685758
Carpenter is my next objective, then.

>>64686083
Can I skip the 1st season?
>>
File: mbcity.jpg (40 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
mbcity.jpg
40 KB, 640x358
>>64686268

>Can I skip the 1st season?

Sure can. First season was modeled after 60s and the general storyline makes about as much sense as an Adult Swim show.

Last recommendation though. Every frame of Moonbeam City looks like the cover of Duran Duran's Rio, so that's about as 80s as it gets. Pretty sure I don't like the show, but it looks pretty.
>>
Also. Op, Watch No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJUk_6hN-s
>>
OP i feel you, I love this style. It Follows was great, as was Hotline Miami. Tbh didn't love Drive, but I'm gonna give another Refn movie a chance. Is Only God Forgives supposed to be his best?
>>
>>64686436
>>64686268
>Skip danger 5 season 1
its the superior season you pissant
>>
>>64685418
Try Cobra with Sylvester Stallone.
>>
>>64686245
I fucking loved The Guest.

The original Terminator has a great 80's vibe. Probably because it was made in the 80's.
>>
>>64685285
Thanks for giving a name to the genre, I've wanted to watch more like this.

Not OP, btw
>>
>>64687150

... um sure. But neither are what I'd call even good. Incoherent LOL random XD plots and all tied together by a joke that's stale after the first episode, "we've got to kill Hitler."

I hope no one is watching Danger 5 for anything other than the cool-looking visuals, of which only season two's are relevant to this discussion.
>>
>>64687438
I thought it was funny as fuck. What didn't you like?

The Hitler jumping through the window gag was fantastic, as was the Colonel's absolute hatred of Claire.

>CLOSE. YOUR. MOUTH.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.