[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is HP so shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: harry.png (55 KB, 149x170) Image search: [Google]
harry.png
55 KB, 149x170
>be me
>from 6 to 16
>watch all the HP movies and love the fuck out of them
>ffw 20 years old
>watch all again
>suddenly realize they are all overrated pieces of garbage

Why did Harry Potter get so popular despite the movies only mediocre at best?
>>
>>64678653
Because the books were extremely popular
>>
First and second were great. Good director, captured the magic of the books perfectly. Costume design and spells were all perfect. Few key scenes missed out, only Peeves was missed.

By the third film we got a new edgy grimdark director who put them all in muggle clothes for some reason, took away musical scores from scenes and just ruined it film by film

He also did this in the fourth film, a tune that you will never be able to get out of your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4V6ZoNK7E
>>
>>64678653
>be me
Hi Leddit
>>
>>64678653
They're mediocre, but that still makes them dramatically better than almost anything else aimed at their demographic. For the entire run of HP, you have a couple of Pixar movies and maybe something like Pirates of the Carribian, maybe. Plus some obscure cinema like Coraline for the more discerning audience. That was it, in a sea of terrible garbage like Shrek. With pickings that slim, the HP movies were easily able to stand out at the time.
>>
>>64678817
>Shrek
Shrek was best
>>
Same reason why MCU and Game of Thrones is popular now
tasteless IQlets trying to be "part" of something.
>>
>mfw i was playing the harry potter drinking game last night
>mfw I only made it halfway through the movie and I passed out, woke up and threw up and almost pissed myself (had to do a crazy clench move in my dick before it spurted out, was halfway in a dream and thought I was a dog pissing on a tree)
>mfw you reminded me I didnt finish the movie so i have to go back right now and finish the game

you guys wanna know how to play?

you will get so drunk you'll actually like the movies, i promise
>>
>>64678653
Anyone else remember those HP video games where you explored around the castle collecting beans?
>>
mostly because you read the novels and understood the pretext of why retarded things happened
>>
>>64678731
Columbus = 1,2
Cuaron = 3
Newell = 4
Yates = 5,6,7,8
>>
>>64678653
>not realizing they were shit as a kid

faggot
>>
>>64678817
>terrible garbage like Shrek
>>
File: 1349550889230.jpg (36 KB, 480x765) Image search: [Google]
1349550889230.jpg
36 KB, 480x765
>why is a children's book so shit
>>
>>64678653
I genuinely enjoyed the movies until the Half Blood Prince were NOTHING happened until the end, in fact I disliked it so much I don't think I've sat through both of the Deathly Hallows movies
>>
>tfw you post in a Potter thread before the obligatory pasta gets posted
>>
third movie was fun, everything else was boring.
>>
>>64678653
>>be me
be dead
>>
Because you grew up OP, get over it.
>>
File: 1417691202787-edit.jpg (376 KB, 979x1268) Image search: [Google]
1417691202787-edit.jpg
376 KB, 979x1268
BECAUSE THEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYRE SHIEET
>>
>>64678653
They're books and movies for children with a simple yet fun mythology.
It amazes me when people turn on things they enjoyed when they were younger because they think they're better than that now.
>>
>>64679721
>drinking till you pass out doing a game
You're so 15 it hurts.
>>
>>64678653
>>be me
No shit?
>>
>>64680743
>confirmed for never having friends
>>
>>64678653
Half Blood Prince was near cinema
The rest were shit
>>
>>64678653
They're still great.

It's just you've reached that edgy, contrarian phase in your life and are a plebhead.
>>
File: books ranking.jpg (1 MB, 1635x2855) Image search: [Google]
books ranking.jpg
1 MB, 1635x2855
I don't have any clue, really. Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>be me
>ffw
Hello Reddit!
>>
File: 13-327.jpg (536 KB, 1694x1860) Image search: [Google]
13-327.jpg
536 KB, 1694x1860
>>64678653
Yfw when the real reason why wizards hid from muggles was to protect themselves from real humans and the reason why Voldemort was so hated was because he was getting ready to break the Masquerade and bring the muggles wrath upon them all. Magic is nothing compared to the power of science and technology. Why care about a shitty killing curse when a trained sniper can kill a wizard from a mile away?
>>
Because they got a lot of kids hooked in the story and they watched the sequels to see how the story unfold, considering that the movies are competent it is not that hard to imagine why they were popular
>>
>>64678731
This T B H I love 1 and 2 but the rest are eh.
>>
>>64679721
>Harry Potter drinking game

How does it play out?
>>
There is only one overrated HP and it's PoA. The rest are rated correctly.
>>
>>64682531
You end up going on tumblr and pretending harry potter is good
>>
>>64679770
Yes
Those were kinda good games though, up to the third game movie adoption

The rest was fucking garbage

2nd was best

They should just have made Harry Potter as a game
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.