[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just got back from The Revenant. I really, really enjoyed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 23
File: the-revenant-trailer.jpg (40 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
the-revenant-trailer.jpg
40 KB, 690x460
So I just got back from The Revenant. I really, really enjoyed it. Certain scenes actually made me wince and recoil in my seat at the theatre. Every fight and display of pain had a realistic weight to it.

I got out over an hour ago and my heart is still racing.

Thoughts?

Leo was great, Hardy was maybe a slight bit better. Who else could even really come close to beating Leo this year though?
>>
>>64678628
Glass' story is epic and the telling was very well done. The bear moved way too fast to be taken seriously and was completely unrealistic, but Leo's performance was great in spite of that. The fights were tremendous. No memeing, this was the best film I saw in 2015 and I even saw The Force Awakens, Bone Tomahawk, and The Hateful Eight.
>>
the cinematography was great, the scenes in their entirety were nothing short of brilliant, the acting is definitely the best of this year but the plot was very underwhelming.

It also bordered on self parody at times with the final scene of his wife in the snow. Only scene i'd actually describe as cringe-worthy.

8/10 my fourth favorite movie of the year.
>>
>>64678716
I agree with pretty much all of this. The fights felt real, because you could tell the characters were in pain. Which is a testament to the acting.

Maybe I didn't see enough good movies recently, but this has to be the best one in the last 12 months. For me, at least.
>>
Only plebs like this shit. You faggots fucked up and didn't read the superior book.
>>
Go back to reddit with this flick
>>
>>64678628
My favorite theater going experience in a long time. I could've watched that mid-section of Leo grunting through breathtaking landscapes for hours
>>
>>64679061
Yeah, I can't imagine watching this at home will be nearly as powerful as sitting in the theatre. If you could look away and play with your phone you wouldn't be sucked in like in the theatre.
>>
Leonardo DiCaprio reaches for his brutally ravaged throat. He wheezes ever so softly I need water and an Oscar, please.

Notice: I didn't say Hugh Glass.
>>
>>64679158
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>64678628

that bear scene was fucking perfect. the way it would leave him alone for awhile and sniff and slobber all over him before going back to tearing him up.

it was a slow movie so i'm sure people here will shit on it, but damn the highs were high
>>
God damnit can't you faggots ever talk about movies without throwing the word reddit around? What the fuck does that even mean

anyway I liked it a lot, brutal
>>
File: revenant.jpg (33 KB, 490x177) Image search: [Google]
revenant.jpg
33 KB, 490x177
The true patrician has spoken.
>>
His son was a shitty addition to the story and his screen time was not enjoyable. I'm glad they killed him early on. Jim Bridger had no reason to say behind and bury Hugh Glass while at the same time giving up his share of the money. Also, Jim Bridger's actor was unenjoyable to watch as well.

Making Hugh Glass a native-american lover and taking revenge out of his hands and giving it to the Arikara was laughable. It seemed like they were making Hugh Glass to be Jesus or some shit.

Cinematography was good but they were to generous with those nature shots. At times they didn't match the brutality of what was going on with Hugh Glass.

It was good, I'd give it a 7/10.
>>
>>64678716
>The bear moved way too fast
Isn't that the big "oh shit" thing about bears? That they are fucking fast for their size?
>>
>>64679581
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>64679265
New Yorker sucks NYBook's dick on a weekly basis though: http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/01/07/bearman-inarritu-the-revenant/
>>
>>64678716
>The bear moved way too fast to be taken seriously

A grizzly bear in a charge can move at 25-30mph. Just because they're big doesn't mean they can't move when they need to. Most animals can produce downright frightening bursts of speed when on the attack.
>>
>>64679533
To add on to this there were many opportunities to give Hugh Glass a more realistic survival story. His struggle for food in the book was crucial and heart wrenching. The movie does not do a good job on keeping up with his recovery. It's too fast.

One scene specifically that the missed out on was the buffalo scene. The one where there are about 100 buffalo around and there are five wolves feasting on a kill. The book had Hugh Glass fend off the wolves with fire. This would have added a better dynamic to Hugh Glass' survival, but no. It was used as some insignificant shot to show how much the director loves nature.
>>
When he clips Hardy's fingers with the hatchet, 2real4me.
>>
>>64678716
this bear moving to fast thing has to be a meme, that many people cant be that unaware of how fast those animals are
>>
>>64679592
There are to many memes.
>>
>>64678628
Hardy can fucking act! Jesus he is good!
I felt the same way OP. Just about every fucking scene made me feel like I was there. The cinematography was beautiful.
>>
Excellent film. Loved every second of it. Beautiful camera work.
>>
>>64679265
That doesnt even make sense. 93% of the film was shot on location.
>>
>>64679640
New Yorker is more Freud
NYRB is more Jung

I prefer Freud.
>>
I did not like this movie. Well shot, well acted, well directed but it was too boring.

Some idiot fur trader crawling around in the snow for a month doesn't make for a good story to me, but I get why others liked it. Women and men alone have been succumbing to Leo DiCaprio's wincing since his "muh alcoholic father" on Growing Pains.

The Hateful Eight was a better and more enjoyable movie with a more creative story and even better cinematography.
>>
>>64680032
>same difference

That means that there wouldn't be a difference if they had shot it either way.
>>
>>64679756
You do realize that it wasnt supposed to be an adaption though right? It was just inspired by the book/story. I liked the addition of the son and the changes to the buffalo scene. It added another dynamic to the film with the Indian/ frontierman relationship dynamic.

The dream sequences were excellent too. I thought it added to both the remoteness (hed had little human contact with anyone outside his dreams for a long time)and the sense of Glass' broken psyche. He was literally focused completly on surviving and it felt lime the dream sequences were his sub concious breaking through.
>>
>>64680101
Oh ok. That's blatantly wrong but whatever.
>>
>>64680099
>The Hateful Eight was a better and more enjoyable movie with a more creative story and even better cinematography.

You didn't just compare these two movies, did you? Jesus... I can tell just by what you typed the kind of low brow human being you are.
>>
>>64680233
I realized that in the first five minutes. However, there are aspects of the book they should have adapted or took inspiration from to keep the movie a bit more grounded it enjoyable.
>>
>>64680099
>too boring
Spoken like a true millenial.
>>
>>64680233
"Muh book"
This isn't about the book, it's about the movie. I agree with you.

Except about the dream sequences. I liked everything about the movie except for those.
>>
File: medium-mcmathict10-mattheww.png (58 KB, 520x754) Image search: [Google]
medium-mcmathict10-mattheww.png
58 KB, 520x754
>>64680280
>low brow human being
>>
>>64680304
Fair enough. I disagree though.
>>
>>64680280
>>64680326

H8ful 8 should win all the Oscars, but it won't because Tarantino is basically a nigger-lover, which will be out of style this at the Academy.
>>
>>64680326
>muh they must be younger than me!
>>
>>64680099
Quentin, pls.
>>
>>64680421
*this year
>>
>>64679265
>the new yorker
these people also take lena dunham seriously
>>
>>64680101
>tweet about green screen
>93% of movie filmed on location
>"same difference"
Literally pleb
>>
>>64680421
I liked Hateful 8. You're still retarded if you use "too boring" as a form of critisism.
>>
>>64680584
It was boring though. I pirated it of course, and watched it at home. Some scenes were so boring I fast-forwarded through them, especially after the bear attack. criticism is not invalid because you don't like it.
>>
>>64680703
When you don't even fucking watch the whole movie, your criticism is invalid. Why didn't you just shut it off?

Pirated it, watched it at home, and fast forwarded through scenes? You can't possibly imagine that your criticism is more informed that the people who sat and watched the whole thing in a theatre.

This is one of the first movies in a long time that I've been pleased with my decision to pay $9 for and watch in the theatre. I agree with you on only one point = I bet the movie would be boring at home, without paying proper attention to it.
>>
>>64680703
>fast forwarding

Kek. Yeah you're opinion definitely doesnt matter.

Its not valid. Saying something is boring isnt a critisism. Saying why something is boring is but simply saying something is boring isnt. Anyway you're opinion is objectively wrong so it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>64678628
Same here. Loved it.

It's been a long long time that a movie has such an affec ton me. For about an hour afterwards I was kind of in a daze. The movie really makes you forget that you're sitting in a theatre.
>>
>>64678628
>Who else could even really come close to beating Leo this year though?
Everyone else nominated. Leo will never win a real Best Actor Oscar. He will get an Academy Honorary Award at the end of his career.
>>
>>64680946
Holy fuck couldn't make it through your boring response
>>
>>64680927
>You can't possibly imagine that your criticism is more informed that the people who sat and watched the whole thing in a theatre.

I regret to inform you that it is. I wasn't there for the entirety of my own wedding but I still get the tax break.

>>64680946
>Saying why something is boring is but simply saying something is boring isnt.

But how do two boring as to what orange?
>>
Felt like it kind of dropped off during the final act but other than that i enjoyed it.
>>
>>64679265
Richard Brody unironically thinks Star wars 2 was the best of the seven movies.
>>
>>64681104
God damnit I hate you.
>>
>>64678791
>plot was very underwhelming
well, it is a survival flick

>>64678716
>The bear moved way too fast to be taken
bears can get up to 30 mpg you idiot

>>64679533
>At times they didn't match the brutality of what was going on with Hugh Glass
the juxtaposition was the whole point

>>64679785
i loved how the whole theatre kind of let out a gasp (and up to that point the audience had been totally silent for the whole movie) . I also would like to add that no one in the movie theatre laughed at the corny jokes in the trailer before the movie. Usually I end up in theatre were half the audience is roaring with laughter over stupid jokes in movie trailers.

>>64679899
that look in his eyes when he talks about killing and eating that man and how the camera just focuses on his eyes while he just stares for about 7 seconds was great.

>>64679963
same here.

>>64680421
but this moving had tree niggers
>>
>fell off a 50 foot cliff, which exploded his horse's neck instantly killing it

>he survives with no injuries
>>
>>64681810
horse is weight a lot more

leo landed in tree branches and then in pile of snow you dumb fuck
>>
>>64681810
The branches broke his fall
>>
>>64681936
>>64681959

>be already half-starved, body exhausted, literally torn up and half-paralyzed
>fall off a cliff. chill out in a horse corpse for a while. totally fine
>lol duh because he also hit a tree on the way down! that helped!

Oy. Just say suspension of disbelief and move on. May as well try to logically explain the bullshit magic plotholes in harry potter.
>>
File: leo d.jpg (189 KB, 738x440) Image search: [Google]
leo d.jpg
189 KB, 738x440
>Leo dethrones TFA
>Momentum building toward Oscar win

It's happening.
>>
>>64678628
I loved it too senpai
>>
Just saw it in theatres.

Pros
>bear scene
>the movie is pretty

Cons
>Glass being a treenigger-lover
>heavy handed commentary about white europeans being evil genocidal monsters
>feminist propaganda about how rape is bad when the native girl cuts off the french guy's balls (even though she was traded for horses in a legitimate business deal)

I enjoyed the movie but it was preachy at times and some stupid moments like how Leo is spared because he saved the girl from rape.
>>
I don't know what to think. The movie was extremely beautiful. It was worth a watch even as a wildlife documentary with Leo as a guide.

The story had way too many details that are impossible to believe but I guess it's surrealism. Not sure I entirely got the point but I was not bored.
>>
>disarmed by beauty

I...I guess it was okay...
>>
>>64682180
>Glass being a treenigger-lover

plenty of trappers and mountain men fucked and married native gals out in the wild, it was either that, or their hands, or their buddies

>heavy handed commentary

everyone is portrayed to be equally shitty, I thought. there was no cut and dry good and bad. The indians were butchering everyone they could find trying to find the princess.

>even though she was traded for horses

what are you talking about the frenchmen stole her and where ripping off her father practically robbing him blind, fueling the entire conflict in the movie, providing the natives with cause to run roughshod over everyone and funnel stolen pelts to the french, funding their cause of revenge.

Leo was spared because he happened to do the right thing in that moment.
>>
>>64682180
>ust saw it in theatres.
>Pros
>>bear scene
>>the movie is pretty
>Cons
>>Glass being a treenigger-lover
>>heavy handed commentary about white europeans being evil genocidal monsters
>>feminist propaganda about how rape is bad when the native girl cuts off the french guy's balls (even though she was traded for horses in a legitimate business deal)
>I enjoyed the movie but it was preachy at times and some stupid moments like how Leo is spared because he saved the girl from rape.

they have honor; just like the japs
>>
Its garbage
>>
>>64682180
>Pros
>>bear scene
Moved way too fast to be realistic but otherwise the movie was fine.
>>
>>64682338
>white men were the BBC to the natives, literally cucked them out of existence

wew
>>
File: -2.jpg (103 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
-2.jpg
103 KB, 680x478
>>64679714
>A grizzly bear in a charge can move at 25-30mph. Just because they're big doesn't mean they can't move when they need to. Most animals can produce downright frightening bursts of speed when on the attack.

Agreed. I can't believe anyone would even THINK that the bear moved too fast/slow. The VFX team blocked that shot very carefully. Whist researching the story of Hugh Glass, I came across an incident where American Baiters threw a leopard into an arena with a Grizzly bear and they were all stunned when the bear dispatched and killed the leopard in a matter of just a few seconds. My wife has Grizzlies on her property that cut through it on the summer. She's just half an hour from a major city in Canada.

The knife/hatchet fight in the film was quite accurately portrayed. The method of fighting at the time during the Frontier days was to chop and hack and occasionally stab your opponent until one was weakened by blood loss and died. Most of the knife fights during the Mexican Revolutionary War were similar to this one but a little faster since the two characters in The Revenant were over-exhausted.

The film doesn't cover this so there's no spoiler in saying this: The real Hugh Glass was in real-life captured by that same tribe of Indians... then killed and scalped quite a while after the events in The Revenant took place. This wasn't shown in the film and the movie's ending [no spoilers here] was based on another factor that was added to make the story more engaging.
>>
What was the meaning behind him hallucinating about his wife, and her levitating in the field?
>>
>>64682520
>The knife/hatchet fight

just me, or was that one of the most brutal 1v1 engagements in film? I loved it. Was so enthralled by the brutal, gritty combat in this movie, especially the opening scene. Thought all the scenes around bonfires in camps out in the wilderness where great too, like the second Frenchmen scene where they're drinking and singing, or the scenes back at Fort Kiowa.
>>
>>64682520
Quite a mature response.
>>
>>64682520
That knife/hatchet fight was fucking amazingly well-portrayed, accurate down to the last detail. The bear moved way too fast to be seen as realistic and the facts of nature prove it, but the native tribe depictions, fights, and setting were absolutely perfect.
>>
Where were the white women in the movie?
>>
>>64682839
i'd fuck seqowa or whatver that bitches name was
>>
>>64682180
I can imagine your anger as dorito dust flew from your mouth/ Damn treeniggers!! I love /pol/
>>
All the scenes with Fitzgerald were the most compelling. Tom Hardy really stole the show.

I had no lasting interest in the plight of the should-be-dead Leo ranger. Should have been shot in the head the moment they found his dying body next to the bear.
And the captain had no realism to him, if you're going to have someone go to such length caring about a person, there needs to be a scene like Glass saving the captain's family or whatever.
>>
File: tough-guy.png (461 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
tough-guy.png
461 KB, 640x430
>>64682804
>The bear moved way too fast to be seen as realistic and the facts of nature prove it

The bear was actually a man in a chromakey suit (which is how Hugh Glass was dragged about in the scene without wires), And since we know a charging grizzly moves faster than an Olympic sprinter, I think it's high time people stopped perpetuating this bullshit about "the bear moving too fast". The film VERY accurately portrays the speed and repetitive attack by a bear just as it would occur in real life. If you are not prepared to accept the reality of this, then you are an ignorant person and your opinions are based on ignorance rather than factual knowledge.

Just watch the first few SECONDS of this video you dumb fuck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1YtA0cJ_5A

I can't even imagine how people who know nothing about bears suddenly become experts in their behavior after watching a season of Yogi bear.
>>
>bear beats the shit out of Leo for five more minutes even after he shoots it

I can't be the only one who found that funny.
>>
>>64683170
For real that guy's retarded.
Bears can hoof it up a tree in a couple seconds, they charge extremely quickly, and they shake shit until it's dead.
They are not unnimble creatures.
>>
>>64679265
Agreed, apparently tired of making fun of superheroes Iñárritu decides to make another Serious Movie. As usual, it's a lifeless, uninspired slough, this time featuring corny-as-shit dialogue, hammy acting (didja hear that Tom Hardy can do accents? DIDJA?), an inane/offensive noble savage narrative, and a general lack of directorial purpose. Even strong cinematography doesn't make bad movies good.
>>
>>64683384
nice copy pasta faggot
>>
It was unrealistic how shitty muskets from the 18th century could be so accurate. And apparently everyone is a sniper with amazing accuracy.
>>
>>64683170
>chromakey
a what?
>>
>>64683513
when tom hardy shot at leonardo, I thought tha tleo fell off the horse to trick hardy into thinking that he was actually shot
>>
The bear mauling was the greatest shit i've seen in theaters in a long while man, great film.
>>
>>64682180
>le women are property and should be traded and raped meme XD

Fucking edge-fag I don't like feminists more than the next guy, but women are still people. I view people without thought to their preferences etc.

How would you feel if you were treated like property and raped for kicks? You would bitch about it as much as anyone else. No one deserves that shit, not based on sex, race, gender or any of that shit. Live and let live. Fuck off with that "le RED PILL RIGHT GUISE?!?!" meme, go back to /pol/ or reddit or something filthy edge-fag.
>>
>>64683312
I think that fucking bear wouldn't have actually died from Leo's shooting and stabbing. Motherfuckers are killing machines who eat berries and fish.
>>
>>64683615
Except women are conditioned to be subservient to men in the past. It wouldn't make sense for a woman to fight back, she'd just think she deserves it because she is a woman.
>>
>>64683312
you realize the gun back then is not nearly as strong as hunting rifles of today, right>? you stupid fucking tree nigger
>>
>>64683513
Trappers had been using rifled muskets since before the American Revolution. Nice try.
>>
File: 1271060238048.jpg (68 KB, 500x408) Image search: [Google]
1271060238048.jpg
68 KB, 500x408
>>64683312
>>bear beats the shit out of Leo for five more minutes even after he shoots it
>I can't be the only one who found that funny.

The block-powder musket balls are round which gives it very little penetration. The black-powder itself is "Low Explosive" which means it doesn't ignite anywhere near as quickly as the powder used in ammunition today. One thing that professional hunters will consistently tell you is that bears can take repeat shots to the head with a high-caliber rifle and still keep charging. A bear's ability to attack after sustaining incredible damage from powerful weapons is why many hunters and even explorers up North carry very large caliber handguns like the .500 S&W or the .454 Casull. They can be fired with either hand and a failure in the ammunition in a revolver means you only need to squeeze the trigger again to get another round in place.

Many hunters have shot charging bears with high powered rifles, only to have the bears maul them to death after sustaining a number of well placed shots. But even the British hunters that explored Africa in the days of the British Empire during the late 1800s and early 1900s learned to carry a revolver for closeup defense with lions, leopards and bears.
>>
>>64683684
What sounds more appealing as someone working on a movie - a potential shitstorm from SJWs because of one inconsequential rape scene being accurate or a potential shitstorm from whomever would really give a shit that an inconsequential rape scene was inaccurate? Everyone knows SJWs would freak out over something that small. Sure, she could have been freed without the chopping off of any balls, but the movie was a revenge movie - they're going for shock - a native woman getting raped by a french settled/pelter and continuing to be freed by some other dude and chopping the french guy's balls off sounds better than a native woman getting rape, start to finish and then stealthily freed with no pay off of revenge for her.
>>
File: 1452353282298.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2554) Image search: [Google]
1452353282298.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2554
>>64683556
>>chromakey
>a what?

When shooting visual effects where a character is to be replaced with a digital character (in this case, a bear), we tend to shoot an actor wearing either a red, blue or green one-piece costume which is then digitally extracted and the digital character replaces him. This also enables for interaction with other characters on set as well as allowing for weight transference, shadow placement and the movement on soil and plants.
>>
>>64683002
typical reddit response

heya reddit
>>
File: -1.jpg (129 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
-1.jpg
129 KB, 680x478
The real Hugh Glass wrote that his "brains were exposed" by the bear attack. I'm thinking that what he meant to say was that his skull was exposed. Anyone else think that's the likely explanation because I can't imagine him surviving with exposed brain-tissue.

Something else the real character said he did was he used his knowledge of insects and pulled open a rotten tree stump filled with maggots - But since he couldn't reach the wounds on his back, he sat with his back to the tree stump until the maggots climbed aboard and ate away the decaying flesh.

The director of The Revenant said there were flies everywhere but they couldn't find any maggots during filming. The Revenant was filmed in Chronological order so they never bothered to film the maggots later and edit it back in. Leo agreed that it wasn't necessary to the story so they left that part out.

The decision to film every shot in Chronological order meant adding an additional $7M to the cost of production.
>>
>>64684208
The only shot that gave weight to how wounded Glass was was when he tried drinking water and it seeped through the open wound in his neck. I was expecting to see how fucked his back was and the rest of his body. They spent a bit too much time on him grunting and crawling and not enough on the triage Glass did on himself to stay alive. Still a 8.5/10 though, pretty incredible story. (Minus the muh son and revenge added)
>>
>>64678628
How was the bear rape scene? Tastefully done?
>>
>>64684355
bear rape? or bare rape? i am confused
>>
>>64684325
They had to make some compromises. I would have loved for those parts to be in there, but with how many retards are already talking about how "slow" and "not much happens" in the movie, if they did more with Glass by himself I think our ADD audiences would fall asleep.
>>
Why does Tom Hardy think that inaudible grunts and anxious mannerisms equate to decent acting and character building?
I like Tom Hardy or at least I should say that I did. I like him less and less in everything that I see him in because it is the same dumbfuck character now
>>
>>64678716
I thought it was a good use of CGi
>>
>>64684449
Not those parts added, but replaced with Glass doing triage. Or maybe just less of him crawling around and more time added to the end. The movie takes off like a fucking space ship once Glass is found.
>>
>>64684325
Its the most visceral film Hollywood has made in a while , didnt to anything to stand out as a classic but it sure was harsh
>>
>>64684531
>visceral

bzzz word
>>
>>64683513
For starters they're all carrying rifles, not muskets stupid.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Revenant,_The_%282015%29

Since this is mid 19th century it's likely the pistols are rifled as well. Really only dueling pistols were kept smooth bore because rifled one's weren't considered sporting for the purpose of dueling.
>>
>>64684531
Dredd 3D was a much more visceral film.

But when the action takes off in the Revenant you fucking felt like you were there. The Indian attack in the begging was amazing, Glass infiltrating that French camp was tense as shit, and Glass escaping the tribe was incredible. But I would have like to have seen Glass's ability to keep himself alive, rather than kinda of aimlessly crawling everywhere.
>>
>>64684600
Whats going on with reddit , dear god
>>
>>64684665
wouldnt call Dredd 3d visceral , all that slow mo didnt help but it was strangely mesmerising
>>
Hugh Glass's story was published in 1939 as one of the incredible Frontier Stories of "The Oregon Trail".

Attacked and mauled by a bear and then left for dead in the snow, he is later forced to seek refuge in the body of a recently dead Horse to survive an impending snowstorm after receiving hallucinatory messages from his dead wife telling him to go on.

George Lucas was obsessed with The Oregon Trail. He borrowed key elements from it when making The Empire Strikes Back:

Attacked and mauled by a Wampa and then left for dead in the snow, Luke is later forced to seek refuge in the body of a recently dead Tauntaun to survive an impending snowstorm after receiving hallucinatory messages from his dead Mentor (Ben) telling him to go on.
>>
>>64684737
I think watching people getting blown apart by small arms fire invokes a large emotion. The slow motion in Dredd added to the scene rather than becoming the scene. Revenant is in no way a bad film to me, everyone was great in it. It was shot very very well, the music was fantastic, and the action scenes were something I want to see more of. I want to see more movies shot like this in this time frame. Imagine a 110 minute movie about the last stand of Custer with Revenant style cinematography.
>>
File: Hugh Glass Art 001.jpg (279 KB, 800x999) Image search: [Google]
Hugh Glass Art 001.jpg
279 KB, 800x999
What the fur-trapper Hugh Glass looked like prior to his gruesome death.
>>
>all these people complaining that it's unrealistic
go google magical realism you uneducated fucks, have none of you taken a proper literature or film history class?
>>
>>64684895
>he wore a coat made from the bear who mauled and maimed him
>he wore a necklace of its claws

they just don't make men like that anymore, do they?
>>
>>64684874
Agreed , maybe a film like that could be made somewhere down the line , for what its worth Dredd 3d used the 3d thing effectively
>>
>>64684874
Imagine if the Revenant was actually just 2 hours of natives rampaging throughout the wilderness, Frenchmen up to dirty tricks, and Fitzgerald and Glass just trying to hold on to their pelts. And the entire time their hunting party is whittled down from like 100 to just the two of them, over the course of the film.

Basically if the opening shot never ended and it was just one long wild battle back to Kiowa.
>>
Were frogs really backstabbing cunts like the movie made them out to be?
>>
>>64685131
My dick couldnt handle 2 hours of constant ejaculation that would happen if that's what the Revenant turned out to be. Maybe have Glass get injured, but the party is much bigger like 100 men. So you have the struggle of Glass versus the wilderness and the struggle of the trapper party versus the tribes. In the real life story Glass just forgave Fitzgerald for leaving him because he was young and made a bad decision.

One could dream, still enjoyed the movie though.
>>
>>64685254
Actually the reason Fitzgerald lived was because by the time Glass found him, Fitzgerald had joined the army and killing a soldier was a death sentence. That and all he had done IRL was take his rifle, knife and other shit. He didn't have a son that was knifed by Fitzgerald, he just wanted his shit back. I think he got it too.
>>
>>64685333
I asked my friend who knew the real story of Glass, that would it had been better telling the actual true story rather than the son aspect. He said for a movie the son added more. Guess the true story doesn't have the ending Hollywood wants.
>>
>>64683170
wrong

""We looked at bears, but they were all so fat. These trained bears in captivity that you see on TV shows, they don't look like a wild grizzly bear from the 1800s."

According to Fisk, the scene was rehearsed with the stunt department for months before they even got on set in Squamish, British Columbia. Then on the day, he dressed the area where the attack took place with 25-foot rubber trees so when DiCaprio smashed into them, he wouldn't get injured. The actor was then strapped to harnesses attached to cables the stunt team used to yank him around. The grizzly was then added digitally in postproduction."
http://www.businessinsider.de/the-revenant-filming-secrets-2015-12?op=1
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 446x362
>The scene where he tries to drink water
>>
>>64685449
Yeah I don't have a problem with the standard Hollywoodizations. I followed the production for quite some time and did some research into the real life Glass, so I knew right off the bat that his son was a Hollywood fabrication. Not really bothered by that stuff.

Made for a more clear motivation for revenge beyond "muh stuff" and the climactic showdown gave it a more defined ending beyond:

>oh, your a soldier, so i cant kill you
>yeah, well here's your stuff
>*Glass is killed by Arikawa indians 10 years later*
>>
I'm not gullible enough to assume the story was true.
>>
>>64680099
>liking Tarantino shit

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>64685610
The extent of his wounds probably were exaggerated.
>>
>>64678628

You now cannot unsee the whole movie post-bear attack as the cerebral palsy part from Wolf of Wall Street in 2 hours.
>>
>>64684303

Not OP, but I can't for the life of me tell what it is you're complaining about.
>>
>Ree Indians
I kept smiling when they said this
>>
>>64679261
This. I've browsed all kinds of other boards, but probably half the posts on this board consist of "reddit."

/fit/ is more accepting of manlets, and /x/ is more accepting of CIA/illuminati shills than this board is of reddit (which can be literally anything at anytime, depending on how anon feels).
>>
>>64679533
The guy that played Bridger is like super british, so that may be part of it. I was pretty disappointed myself. I agree he shouldn't have given up his share, they painted him in too good of a light.

Also, his son was just put in there for hollywood bullshit. It was tragic, but pretty unnecessary. It's enough that they took all his shit and left him for dead AFTER he took on a grizzly 1v1. I'd be pissed, too.

Not sure about the native-american lover bit. I do know that it's pretty accepted he killed that lieutenant, but I'm not sure why.

>>64679756
>The movie does not do a good job on keeping up with his recovery. It's too fast.
Agreed. I'll give them that they did a good job at progressively having him move more freely with less pain.

All-in-all I'm glad his story was at least told, at all. I've always been pretty disheartened when I bring Ultimate-Badass-Glass up and no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 668x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 668x960
>>64684977
No sir, they do not.
>>
>>64679899
I was very pleased with his character. I always kinda felt like he overacted in his previous roles, but this time his delivery was spot on.

>>64681214
>i loved how the whole theatre kind of let out a gasp (and up to that point the audience had been totally silent for the whole movie)
I was pretty surprised by the audience reaction. I definitely heard many gasps during the bear scene, and then the fingers scene. Usually we either get total silence or 'Murrika clapping (aside from the odd obnoxious faggot).
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 394x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 394x458
>>64686045
Fucking normie Indians.
>>
>>64680099
Trolling or b8?

I've been enamored with the Glass story probably since before you were born, you fucking twat. DiCaprio's got nothing to do with it.

>takes bear on 1v1 and basically wins
>robbed and left for dead by faggoty faggots
>crawls/limps like 200 miles foraging n shit
Bad fucking ass. I'll take it over whatever hogwash Harry Potter bullshit you like any day.
>>
>>64680362
Agree 100%. Those dream sequences were more unnecessary than his son plug. They were really the ONLY time in the whole movie that I wasn't totally involved in the story.
>>
Why did his son cry when they were at the abandoned church?
>>
I couldn't watch the whole thing.
Got to the part where they couldn't kill oscarman and fucking stopped watching.

I'm not saying it's not good, I just can't commit myself to something so fucking pretentious.
I know you'll think I'm baiting but I just don't like what I've seen.
>>
>>64682131
I did suspend belief slightly, but still we have no idea how long he was passed out there from the fall (would've froze overnight, so assuming a few hours). So he was passed out, from the fall. Happy?
>>
>>64682180
>(even though she was traded for horses in a legitimate business deal)
Umm... what?
>>
>>64682257
>The story had way too many details that are impossible to believe
That's why Glass's story is so fucking cool. They did add quite a bit, but his base story is still pretty unbelievable yet widely accepted as truth.
>>
>>64682804
>>64682712
It definitely did a good job of portraying the exhaustion, desperation, and pain. It was like a manly cat fight where there are no rules, which is how I'd imagine it going.

If you've never seen a cat fight, they claw and scratch and pull at anything vital/vulnerable they can and give no fucks.
>>
File: 1452326649998.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1452326649998.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1200
Anybody else surprised that the ending wasn't Glass bleeding out, propped up against a tree, staring up at the branches while that theme played again or his dead wife spoke again?

That would have been better than the ending they did put in. Fitzgerald has that line during his death "you came all this way for your revenge, but it won't bring your boy back", and then there's just no closure on him saying that to Glass.

I didn't like the ending they chose.
>>
Felt like Tarantino x Malick
>>
>>64683712
That guy is dumb, because although that bear WAS dying at that point, it basically didn't know it was dead yet and was just still fighting. However, muskets are fucking brutal compared to say, .9mm or .22. They create a hugefuck cavity that causes massive trauma pretty much separate from the actual wound. Look it up.
>>
>>64683513
>>64683591
This is one of the only things I really disagreed with.

Hardy shot him from pretty far out, and at that time muskets were probably only accurate at less than 100yds. At that rate, personally I wouldn't have risked a shot anywhere beyond 50 because Fitz was desperate to get shit over with.
>>
Ok. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>the french were the evil masterminds behind it all along
fugging plot twists
>>
>>64684766
That's amazing
>>
Anybody else rooting for Hardy the whole time? He felt like a genuine guy just trying to survive out in the wilderness, especially at the beginning. Decapro barely spoke at all during this movie, really kind of put me off. He should of died multiple times but "muh revenge story" gave him plot armor. Decapro should have live and let live and realized that everybody hates Indians for a good reason.
>>
>>64685036
It's one of the few I know of that actually filmed with 3D equipment.

It's probably the best 3D I've ever seen. I feel bad for my dad, he dropped like $1,500 on a 3Dtv and this is the only movie that ever really justified it. Most movies don't even release in 3D anymore, it's fucking sad.
>>
>>64686689
>Got to the part where they couldn't kill oscarman and fucking stopped watching.
wut? It's a real story, and Glass didn't die throughout the whole ordeal. What are you going on about?
>>
>>64687209
>muh plot armor
Glass never died during the story, IRL. Why do you guys keep going on about this? Anyone who actually knew the story knew he was never gonna die.
>>
>>64682180
>rape is protrayed in a negative light
>FUCKING FEMINIST PROPOGANDA
I'm going to have to go to the hospital from getting cut from all this edge.
>>
I didn't understand how he killed an (enraged) bear with a couple of stabs. Even if he hit an artery, it would take a few more seconds for it to die, possibly more since it was so hyped up.
If his leg was broken by the bear, he wouldn't have been able to walk on it, period. Even though it shows him limping at first, it wouldn't have healed to the point where he could pressure on it without it re-snapping.

Nitpicking aside, it was an incredible movie, one of the best I've seen in a while.

Did he (the movie Glass, I know the real one lived) die after the last fight? I know it was ambiguous but the hallucinations of his wife along with the serious leg wound (near the femoral artery, there was clearly a lot of blood) and the fact that he's now stranded seemed to suggest that he did.
>>
>>64687659
Yeah, I interpreted it as him dying. He may not have died in the real story, but the movie took liberties anyway.

The fade to black and then his breathing really made me think that way.

Anyway, I really liked the movie.
>>
>>64678716
This bear speed meme is getting out of hand.

Bears are fast, really fucking fast. Horrifyingly so.
>>
>>64687659
>>64687975
I saw it as the first moment where he's deciding whether to get up and live or to finally die and let go.
>>
>>64688127
Also a good interpretation.

I personally am viewing it as death, because it makes me feel good to know he's achieving peace after all this bullshit he's gone through. He even says at the Fort "I'm not afraid to die anymore. I've done it before"
>>
Was everyone in the 18th century really hard cunts like that?
>>
>>64684766
>Attacked and mauled by a bear and then left for dead in the snow
The bear attack took place in summer. Not too many bear cubs born in the winter. Hollywood vs. History.
>>
>>64686686
His dead son wanted Dad to give up and come on over to the spirit world, but revenge took precedence.
>>
File: 1452356364187.jpg (30 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1452356364187.jpg
30 KB, 318x318
>>64686945
>Anybody else surprised that the ending wasn't Glass bleeding out, propped up against a tree, staring up at the branches while that theme played again or his dead wife spoke again?

In real life, after seeking revenge but deciding to let Fitzgerald go, Hugh Glass joined another trapper group seeking animal pelts and furs. He was eventually shot dead by the Indian tribe and scalped. His prized rifle was last seen in the hands of one of the Indians by another fur party.
>>
>>64678628
I just got back from watching this. I thought it was OK. Good sound editing.

I'm on a diet, and the part when they are eating the buffalo guts literally made me hungry. That shit seriously looked delicious.
>>
>>64688024
aren't they afraid of water?
>>
File: homesman-2.jpg (44 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
homesman-2.jpg
44 KB, 639x426
>>64688227
>Was everyone in the 18th century really hard cunts like that?

You have NO IDEA. There's over a hundred historical accounts on the following webpage that relate to the finer details of knife fighting in the Frontier.... but the article I've linked to is about a woman's description of a Frontiersman in the 1850s.

http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/western-man-as-observed-by-lady.html

Another interesting article on hand-to-hand combat in the 1800s Americas can be found here:

http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2001/jmanlyart_gorn_0401.htm
>>
>>64686945
that would have been a great ending

10/10

or if he threw himself into the river
>>
>>64678716
>this was the best film I saw in 2015 and I even saw The Force Awakens

kill thyself
>>
>>64681214
>30 mpg

now that's fucking fuel efficient for an organic life form, bear cars when?
>>
>>64682132
>Alvin & the Chipmunks
>$1,100,000
>$71,208,339

why
>>
>>64682180
lel did you even watch the film you dumbfuck, or did you get the synopsis off of a kid with downs syndrome?
>>
>>64682712
The only thing that irked me was that I saw that Leo had a prop hand and I immediately knew that he was going to get a knife through it like 2 seconds before Fitzgerald stabbed it into the ice
>>
Not even trolling
Imagine how much better the movie would have been with a real drama actor instead of Leo
I was drawn into the love story and the overall hopelessness but I ultimately felt no connection with Leo at all
I didn't even care if he got revenge or not
Imagine an actor that could actually portray sadness with their face
>>
Was Fitzgerald wrong in his decision?
>>
Saw it last night and loved it. When he cut Fitzgerald's fingers off with the hatchet suddenly, the audience in the theater gasped.
>>
Thought it was fantastic

I grew up pretty much in the woods and this is the only film was able to successfully capture the beauty of the american wilderness
>>
>>64678628
your a fucking faggot op an hero
>>
>>64690239
>Expected people to laugh like retards when Fitzgerald said "yeeeeah, I don't like the sound of that" or whatever
>They didn't
I'm proud of them desu
>>
>>64688702
>Was everyone in the 18th century really hard cunts like that?

It seems these people were the dregs of society
She described the modern hillbilly eventhough there's more than 100 years between the two. They literally never evolved, which explains /pol/ really
>>
>>64680101
Did you watch the movie or are you just assuming at this point to save your ass
>>
>hear a ton of stuff about how this movie is an instant classic
>watch it with a bunch of friends
>it's a boring piece of shit

I knew /tv/ was contrarian as fuck but you think they'd actually hate on shit when they see it. You could have cut an entire hour from this movie and lost nothing. Writing was bad, acting was alright as long as nobody was talking (worked well for Leo) and everything besides the bear scene and maybe two others lacked impact. Cinematography choices were all over the place, too, like the scene where Leo breaths and fogs up the camera lens. No clue at all why you'd decide to do that in a film that's so clearly trying (key word, trying) to be immersive.
>>
>>64690887
People went to the frontier to make their own place. The Eastern coastal cities were pretty filled up and if you had a job you would be working for some one else. City folk don't understand, so they try to take everyone's guns away and let men marry each other.
>>
>>64691456
/tv/ never likes anything of high quality
>>
>>64688666
bears swim you dipshit. they go out to rivers and catch fish
>>
>>64683611
this
>>
>>64691625
But you do see the correlation with today's rednecks don't you? There's absolutely none, they're exactly the same. They haven't changed

But I agree with you though, I just think the whole gun legislation thing has do with their backwards/backwoods nature creeping into the more uppity sectors of society. It's not pointless gun grabbing for the sake of rattling cages, I'm not siding with either group btw. Back then the west was a limitless frontier, the edge of civilization, now the world of these two classes are overlapping
>>
File: 0444 - DqlUHdN.png (344 KB, 467x453) Image search: [Google]
0444 - DqlUHdN.png
344 KB, 467x453
I liked the movie a lot.

But did I enjoy watching it? Fuck no. Why? I'll tell you fucking why.

I had this fucking Indian couple seated to the right of me who wouldn't stop talking to each other, and at conversation level too. And then the husband takes out his fucking phone, which the brightness on it is on the fucking max, and plays around with it for a few minutes while the fucking movie was playing.

And as for the wife, who was seated in the next chair to me, she wouldn't stop making noises every time the tiniest bit of gore or action was on screen. I can't even fucking type out what the sounds could be. And you know what else he fucking does? He takes off his fucking button up shirt and covers it over himself like a blanket, and all he was wearing underneath was a sleeveless shirt. It's like he thought he was at fucking home.

Like, a "sssss" or something. I don't know if it's fear or disgust or whatever the fuck, but it annoyed the fuck out of me. It was happening constantly. I wanted to tell this stupid bitch to shut the fuck up but I didn't want to start any shit and ruin the movie for anyone else.

Stupid fucking Indians, fuck them. They ruined the fucking movie for me.
>>
>>64691987
but did they poo in the loo?
>>
>>64692052
They probably fucking did the stupid cunts.

I fucking hate Indians, we blew them the fuck out on 4chan, let's fucking do it in real life.
>>
>>64691987
>Indians at the movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ho3Bcl9fI
>>
>>64692079
That is fucking maddening.
>>
>>64691987
I bet you're a leftist and not even a racist who thinks all niggers (brown, black, yellow, red) don't belong among whites. So you probably deserve it.
>>
File: chart.png (17 KB, 480x400) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
17 KB, 480x400
>>64692143
I'm disgusted that you even think of me like that.
>>
>>64692162
Not right enough. You're still in cuc k territory
>>
>>64692191
You can say cuck, you know.
>>
>>64692229

Hardy is getting the oscar. Who is the cuck now?
>>
File: 1447712220514.jpg (50 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1447712220514.jpg
50 KB, 408x439
>>64692079
Jesus fuck
>>
>>64692263
No he's not, don't say that kind of stuff please.
>>
File: original.jpg (55 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
55 KB, 500x334
>>64692297
Can you imagine how easy it must be to rape someone in there, it helps that it's India too.
>>
shilling going in full effect for a bunch of literally who movies over the last year. why?
>>
>>64688666
I hope to God it's sarcasm
>>
Why did Leo marry a native girl instead of a white woman?
>>
>>64692520
Maybe because he was attracted to her you fucking idiot.
>>
>>64692546
She literally looked like a man with a manjaw. Also shitskin.
>>
>>64692520
He browsed a moheecan cartoon forum too much
>>
>>64692546

But seriously. Why?
>>
>>64692649
No seriously, he was attracted to her, and she was attracted to him. They had illegal sex and had a child.
>>
>>64692576
RED FEVER
E
D
F
E
V
E
R
>>
File: 1447504948448.png (71 KB, 761x734) Image search: [Google]
1447504948448.png
71 KB, 761x734
>>64681214
>>64681214
>bears can get up to 30 mpg
It's 1:30 and you made me cry in laughter.
>>
>>64692568
>>64692649
First of all people's attraction doesn't always bounds to appearences.
Secondly, he lived in a place where your options were: native women, your hands or your buddies (most of whom would kill you for even offering anything of the sort btw).
His wife seemed like a very nice, quite and thoughtful person which would suit Glass's personality (at least with how he portrayed in the movie). So attraction+compatibility lead to creating a family.
>>
this piece of shit just tried to ripoff dead man

inarritu is a fucking hack

if you like this flick your a pleb fuck who can't comprehend real art
>>
>>64683015
Glass saved his life. And the lives of all the survivors.
>>
>>64679135
y'know you have the option to like idk not look at your phone when you watch stuff at home dude
>>
File: 438.png (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
438.png
62 KB, 600x600
>>64692792
>>
>>64684766
Han is the one who did it. It's always fucking described with Luke. Why?
>>
>>64692342
Why would anyone rape an indian girl?
Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.