[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone watches this? Anyone read the books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: last kingdom.jpg (10 KB, 565x291) Image search: [Google]
last kingdom.jpg
10 KB, 565x291
Anyone watches this?
Anyone read the books?
>>
Yes.
No.
>>
>>64665794
Well then I would recommend you read the books they are pretty fucking good senpai. How would you rate the show?
>>
>>64665845
Season was rushed too much.
I found the books quite good to be honest. Only read the first 3 though
>>
The show was good mostly because of based uhtred alfred and leofric the books are also very good the first season was based on book 1 and 2 if anyone didn't know the show got renewed for a second season and i recommend reading the books there far better then what that fat lazy fuck george rr martin will ever write heres the books if anyone wants to read them https://kat.cr/b-cornwell-saxon-stories-warrior-chronicles-1-9-zip-the-last-kingdom-series-epub-t11677773.html
>>
>>64666136
Best part is quality doesn't decline as the story progress.The final book came out in October I think still have to read that
>>64667216
You read warriors of the storm yet?
>>
>>64667256
Haven't got around to it yet
>>
the real question is, how is this guy so hot when he has an r9k hair and beard?
>>
>>64667521
I am about 20% we finally find out about finan's history
>>
For the anons who've read the books I need to ask if Uthred is as good a character in them as he was in the show

Having only read a bunch of Sharpe books my opinion on Cornwell was kinda tainted, he was such a fucking moron reading them just made me mad
>>
>>64667690
why did you not like about Sharpe? I have read both Saxon Stories and Sharpe I will tell you what you wanna know
>>
Vikings is better
>>
>>64665751
I thought it was one of the best shows that has come out in a long time. What I really respected about it is the use of restraint when it comes to music and monologues. GoT is the worst at that. So many scenes of really sad music when a character is having a really sad monologue. I cringe whenever I watch those scenes. Also a lot of the scenes in GoT are set up like a you would a scene in a play. Very static. The Last Kingdom was much more immersive. The dialogue and story are also top notch and blow GoT out of the fucking water.
>>
>>64667792
Every book he fell in love with some cunt and started thinking with his dick being half the time some white knight faggot and half the time a kinda callous pragmatist

I don't know, the whole thing just frustrated me like he couldn't quite decide what kind of a character he wanted Sharpe to be so he just shifted between a cunning pragmatist and an idiotic moralfag constantly

It's been a while since I read them and I guess I should mention I only read the India books and chronologically up to Sharpe's Rifles so maybe he was different in the older books
>>
>>64668086
I dont think you will find that kind of inconsistency in the Saxon Stories I feel like the characters are well built
>>
>>64665751
I haven't read the books, though I do have an experience with Cornwell because I think I must have read The Warlord Chronicles at least 4 times. That said, The Last Kingdom is really good. Really. It's subtle, realistic, and it does not romance the age - just as I know Cornwell does, with his descriptions of pagan priestesses pissing on enchantments to make them lose their power and the like.

The last episode though is really, really rushed. They didn't do such a good job with showing the events with the actual importance they had. All in all very recommended.
>>
>>64668194
I'll probably read them soon anyway, starting to run low on fantasy/historical books that catch my interest
>>
> I am dumbass son of dumbass, I could have gone raiding and become a rich Danish Lord but instead, I offered my ass to Wessex and got cucked by the church.
>>
>>64668386
now that I think about it why did he stay in England? He had a lot of chances why did he always stay and ended up half regretting it?

I know later its because of his oaths but what about the early years
>>
>>64668539
He wants his earldom. To do that he needs support from Wessex.
>>
>>64668539
I haven't read the books, but the only motivation he seemed to have in the show was that he wanted to get back Bebbanburg. He said that as a dane, he would never be able to be lord of Bebbanburg. Which I didn't understand at all. The danes already ruled over Northumbria. All he had to do was meet with Ragnar, gather an army and kill his uncle.
>>
>>64668386
The Danes are literally under control, first, of Ubba who fucking hates him, and then of Guthrum who also fucking hates him. The Dane ruling stuff in the north and keeping his uncle as a puppet is Kjartan, and both fucking hate him. He has no choice.
>>
>>64668707
I think early at that point he thought of Danes as raiders/temporary and not permanent settlers
>>
>>64668811
Ubba and Guthrum hating him was entirely his own fault though. So he's still a dumbass for thinking that kidnapping Ubba's seer and having Brida shove a stick up his ass was a good idea.
>>
>>64669070
How is it his fault? Before they knew he had kidnapped Story they were going to kill him.
>>
>>64668707
The only Dane who would have his back would be his brother, who was in Ireland at the time and he had no way of knowing when he would be back. And by the time his brother did come back he had made an oath.
>>
>>64665751
>BBC

are there black people in it? if so then I will not watch it.
>>
>>64669157
To begin with he went and announced his survival to fucking everyone giving Whatshisname time to spread the word it was him who betrayed Ragnar the elder

If he'd just fucking kept to himself until he got to Ubba and Guthrum ALL OF IT could have been avoided
>>
>>64669261
Nope. No black people. They are trying to be historically accurate with this show unlike The Bastard Executioner.
>>
File: harlaus.png (89 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
harlaus.png
89 KB, 1162x850
>>64665751

Yeah, it was okay.

After finishing the season I had to play Mount & Blade.
>>
File: 0GRHaBj[1].jpg (114 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
0GRHaBj[1].jpg
114 KB, 640x960
>>64669261
its a show about 9th century England, the Saxons and the Danes, so there shouldn't be, but you never know
>>
>>64669309
He's definitely an idiot, but that is part of his character. Right after he did that Brida said he was an retarded.
>>
>>64669365
>start mount&blade
>spend 100 hours riding around saving peasant women and making your ultimate Sword Sister army
>realize there's literally nothing else to do
>quit
>repeat after about a year
Can't wait for Bannerlords
>>
>>64669157
Well, for one, he practically ambushed Ubba and Guthrum while they were busy. Also, he knew Ubba was an impulsive guy, but Ubba only started to hate Uthred after he heard he had taken Story.

Even if Ubba had believed Uthred, he'd still see the kidnapping of his seer as a direct insult towards him and would have wanted to kill Uthred for that, so his plan was always really dumb.
>>
>>64669448
Have you played the crpg mod? It makes it an online multiplayer game. Increases the replay-ability quite a bit.
>>
I've read all of the books, more entertaining than the GOT ones tbhonest
>>
>>64669526
Nope, sounds good though

I've been having a blast with the Napoleonic mp lately though
>>
Will there be a second season or will Uthred's sister be raped in the butt by one-eyed Sven for all eternity?
>>
>>64669643
There is going to be a second season.
>>
>>64669563
yeah thats how I felt.In asoiaf there is always a huge end up that disappoints the readers on purpose in order to 'shock' them,picking up the Saxon Stores after finish asoiaf was really satisfying
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.