[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /tv/ think of this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: sicario.jpg (971 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
sicario.jpg
971 KB, 1000x1500
what does /tv/ think of this movie?
>>
Mediocre to outright bad movie.
>>
>>64656924

It's mediocre. It doesn't have any big flaws but doesn't have any redeeming qualities either.
>>
Every time I see the thumbnail, I keep thinking that's a silhouette of Jet Li
>>
>>64656924
Despite what others in this thread have said giving a high probability of my being called a pleb, or told I have terrible taste or called reddit it was honestly my MTOY fuck haters I enjoyed it and am entitled to an opinion.
>>
>>64657046

dw, the haters in the thread also probably think the prequels are good movies
>>
Not even Deakins could save this awful shitfest
>>
very mediocre

nice cinematography and all but very very weak plot
>>
>>64657062
Deakins became robot and is pretty meh cinematographer, its clear Villeneuve once again had no idea what to film
>>
>>64656924
Very good at establishing tension and atmosphere early on but has a weak climax imho
Pretty decent film all round though despite memelords itt
>>
Loved the entire bit from when they set out in the convoy in Mexico to the point where they arrive in the Embassy or whatever that was. The sound of the automatics in the background, the aerial shots showing the shithole, the quiet, bassy percussion and the feeling that shit could go haywire at any minute was GOAT.

I kinda wanted the whole movie to be set in Juarez so that tension would be maintained until the end. Bit of a letdown that they cut away to migrant interrogations, bar dances and a finale that was as hard to see and follow as Zero Dark Thirty.
>>
>>64657112
I loved this movie but I can see where you are coming from, I can defiantly understand why you would think that. I like the climax (actually sort of 2 of them one between del toro and the cartel guy and him and Kate) between Alejandro and Cartel guy, although when it swaps to being about him and Kate disappears it is quite jarring in terms of the flow of the film so I can understand you even if I don't agree with you. Also glad to have a genuine opinion in the film that I can talk about with compared to the other retards ITT so, thank you.
>>
>>64657231
Again good to have an actual discussion compared to some of others ITT. I agree if more of it were set in Juarez it would be more interesting plot wise but maybe not more interesting character wise.
>>
>>64656924

It's a flick not a movie
>>
>>64656924
I loved it, I also loved Emily Blunt as a character. not because she was interesting but I went with a group of friends 3 of them girls and 1 other guy and the girls thought she was gunna be bad ass and tough but she basically get beaten into submission the whole movie and they were so upset by it, which was great.
>>
>>64657112
>>64656924
Shouldn't have had that cringy scene explaining Alejandro's motivation. It would have come across in the final scene anyway.
>>
>>64657968
how insightful, now that you've contributed to the threat and educated us all and saved have the day you can probably leave now knowing that you have finished a job well done. We all salute you and your work...
>>
>>64657999
fucking checked..
Also which scene, the one where Brolin tells Blunt about them hacking off his wife's head and throwing his kid in acid or earlier when they hint at it? Just wondering because i don't remember a cringy part. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, if that's how you feel, just wondering which scene you mean.
>>
>>64658055
Dude chill. It's okay to like shit flicka, just don't go around saying it's the greatest thing ever and calling people who see it for what it is a contrarian.
>>
>>64656924

Great flick
Mediocre movie
Decent film
Awful cinema
Shit kino
>>
>>64658133
The scene where Brolin says stuff like, "he works for anyone who'll point him towards the people who created him." It just didn't need to be said, the cartel guy saying sorry about your wife, and him saying don't forget my little girl, would have been enough.
>>
>>64657990
THIS IS LITERALLY THE BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT OF SICARIO, AND ITS BALLSIEST MOVIE

SUBVERTING THE STRONK WOMYN MEME

YOU SEE A GIRL WITH A GUN ON THE POSTER AND IN THE MARKETING, EVERYONE GOES IN EXPECTING YET ANOTHER RIDICULOUS MARYSUE >2015 GIRLPOWER STRONK WOMYN MOVIE

BUT IT LITERALLY NEVER HAPPENS, SO THE >2015 STRONK WOMYN CONDITIONED AUDIENCE GETS MAD AS FUCK, ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS DRIVEN HOME AS THE TAKEWAY OF THE MOVIE WITH THAT LAST BULLYING SCENE SO THERE'S NO AMBIGUITY ABOUT IT AT ALL, THEY CAN'T PRETEND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

BASED VILLENEUVE, DESTROYER OF THE RIDICULOUS UNREALISTIC STRONK WOMYN MEME

THE HERO CINEMÁ NEEDS
>>
movie is fucking scat tier
>>
>>64657954
It had barebones character and few of them were just telling the plot to the viewer or Nolan type exposition.

The writing was bad, there are barely any characters and the main character Kate's character is inconsistent to prove one narrative of the movie.

Directing was overall pretty bad, Villeneuve doesn't seem to have any originality on how to point and shoot things and this is where Deakins tries to save this mess of a movie. But the cinematographer can only do so much and the cinematography itself didn't present the writing or narratives

>Wants to be anti-drug war.
>Doesn't have one ugly shot of anything, everything is prettily framed and staged according to Deakins' rules (I dont think Villeneuve did shit except cut the movie together at this point)
>Glorifies war and revenge with making romantic imagery of soldiers and filming the murders over the border in the most polite and pretty way it could.
>Drops the half established character for a non-character Exposition Machine doing some sort of epic one man army battle and succeeding in it again nothing ugly is shown by the camera, every picture and scene is focused on looking pretty as possible

I'd rather it drag us to the mud with Exposition Machine 1 in that scene with the family instead of stage it so carefully and safe. I feel like instead of taking us to an uncomfortable place it pretty much just says in the most annoying way possible 'how awful is that'

There's no rhyme or reason to the movie. Nobody communicated with anyone when they made this. It's like they stitched the effort of random individuals together. It also tries to paint a 'big reveal' about its narrative conclusion which comes off as cheesy due to writing and acting.

Villeneuve as a director is terrible and deserves about none of the praise he gets.

Blackhat from same year absolutely fucking demolishes this mess, and document Cartel Land is far better than Sicario too.
>>
>>64656924

I really liked it, Del Taco and Brolin were awesome, and I liked Emily Blunt's character. I didn't mind them not turning her into another action chick and making her mostly not know what the fuck is going on until nearly the end.
>>
>>64657073
this. how fucking hard is it to write a passable story? jesus.
>>
File: cartoon dude.jpg (31 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
cartoon dude.jpg
31 KB, 150x150
>>64658231
>Fury Road
>Sicario
>female Ghostbusters
>pretending there's a wage gap in Hollywood
>The Force Awakens
>Joy
>J Law still having a career
Women completely ruined cinema 2015
>>
File: le hacker meme.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
le hacker meme.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>64658350
>Doesn't have one ugly shot of anything, everything is prettily framed and staged

SO YOU'RE DESCRIBING BLACKHAT THEN?

YOUR CRITICISMS ARE PARTICULARLY STUPID WHEN HOLDING UP BLACKHAT AS MOTY, WHICH IT WAS NOT

BLACKHAT HAD FAR MORE RIDICULOUS SHIT IN IT THAN SICARIO

TAKE A GANDER AT THIS CLICHE GARBAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXNC_rCLEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH4VZqkI6Qk
>>
>>64658524
Stay with Villeneuve if actual efforts by actual directors are too much for you to grasp. It's your loss for vouching for this garbage anyway.
>>
>>64658763
BLACKHAT HAD A VERY GENERIC SAFE AND PREDICTABLE STRUCTURE, EVEN TO THE POINT OF HAMFISTING A LOVE STORY INTO A MOVIE WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG

WHILE SICARIO SUBVERTED THE BIGGEST BULLSHIT CHARACTER MEME OF ITS TIME BY BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF THE PERCEIVED STRONK WOMYN LEAD

VILLENEUVE HAS MUCH MORE ARTISTIC BACKBONE THAN 2015 MANN, MANN'S OLD AND PHONING IT IN, YOU REALLY DON'T SEE IT?
>>
>>64658881
What the fuck does 'predictable structure' even mean?

Sure Sicario gets comedy value for turning into Steven Seagal movie and dropping its only half established narrative thread for something that goes against everything shown (what little was shown) and you are supposed to just take it at face value.

Like I said, Sicario is a mess.

Go back to /v/ or /sp/ with your caps lock cruising.
>>
>>64658231
I can't tell if you are being mocking of >>64657990
or not
>>
Super contrived plot that strains credulity that's full of desperate tropes designed to elicit identification with a lead that shouldn't exist in the first place. The writer thinks he's being clever or subversive by having Blunt be so inept, like it's some great sly comment on the culture or on the US government's drug war failure, but the problem is you can't pull off a movie like that without that character having some basis in fact. The whole story just wouldn't happen that way to begin with. It's the CIA. They do whatever the fuck they want. You think the CIA didn't know where El Chapo was all the way up until this week? Negro please.
>>
>>64658943
>comedy value for turning into Steven Seagal movie

yeh I don't think anyone had the slightest smirk on their face while watching. When I was in theater it was full, but if I was blind I would think I was alone how silent everyone was.
Villeneuve is a master in creating tension, every movie he makes has that spine tingling tension in the air.

I would actually love to see him try to dwelve into horror, to pull the genre back from utter dogshit
>>
>>64659192
It was awful how it turned out in the third. I thought Prisoners was bad but this was far worse. Can't see how you could take it as a pro for the movie.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.