[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>literally thousands of articles analyzing every frame, picking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: star wars.jpg (154 KB, 527x609) Image search: [Google]
star wars.jpg
154 KB, 527x609
>literally thousands of articles analyzing every frame, picking apart every minor detail, nitpicking the most insignificant plot points, speculating about every character relationship

JJ could have made a modern masterpiece and people would still be complaining and talking about how they would have done things differently. I can't think of a more thankless job.
>>
The internet is slowly ruining movies. A decade from now they'll be online polls for who should direct Star Wars Episode XII
>>
>>64656748
and we will rig them
>>
File: image.png (353 KB, 778x497) Image search: [Google]
image.png
353 KB, 778x497
>>
>>64657147
This is actually true. Any patrician will tell you that plot is just an excuse for character interaction, which is why so many classic novels and films barely even have plots.
>>
>>64656535
It's the Star Wars effect, there's a reason Wookipedia has thousands of articles that start with "unidentified"
>>
>>64657253
This. Characters are the core. This is why most of the new Hollywood movies feel hollow. They're too plot-driven for their own good. The characters feel like blank slates from some 3rd person shooter.
>>
File: 1349899641673.jpg (78 KB, 450x334) Image search: [Google]
1349899641673.jpg
78 KB, 450x334
>>64656535

That's the problem when you're dealing with a nerd audience. They are so fucking hard to please.

It's no surprise that Universal dropped Pacific Rim 2 and replaced its release date with Pitch Perfect 3. If i were a studio boss i'd rather make an easy-to-produce musical film which girls will go see with their moms and then tell their friends how great it was than a highly technical Mecha movie which the nerds will disect and complain about from Day 1, giving it bad word-of-mouth.
>>
>>64657443
The first PP was pretty good. The second one wasn't. But it made money. PR2 is a higher risk when it comes to cost/gross.

I saw PR about 2 weeks ago. It was good, but idk... too long and the best fight was mid-movie. The plot holes (or what people call plt holes these days) didn't bother me. I just thought that it crashed down in the 3rd act.
>>
At the end of the day it's a fucking Star Wars flick, why is anyone obsessing over it to this extent?
>>
>>64657631
Are you like 12? This happens every fucking time they release one
>>
>>64657631
Because "muh modern myth!!"

People genuinely compare it to Homer
>>
>>64656535
>Domestically, and in some other countries, the biggest movie of all time.
>Enough to have a pool of money.

Yeah it must suck being Jar Jar Abrams.
>>
File: 1435433545435.jpg (85 KB, 1200x824) Image search: [Google]
1435433545435.jpg
85 KB, 1200x824
>>64656535
americans live only through their entertainment industry, because americans do not have a culture, since they only have one constitution and a few markets created to fulfil the hedonism of his people full of boredom.
>>
>>64657443
Also Pitch Perfect is a better movie than Pacific Rim
>>
>>64657689
>no culture
>modern Western culture is literally just American culture
Most modern music is American, most major literary styles have American roots, cinema itself is Americanized. It looks like America has no culture because our culture got adopted by the world.
>>
I'm not really a nitpicker and don't care about star wars but heres what i noticed, a lot of this shit is TDKR tier

the thing that triggers our leading man is seeing one of his fellow stormtroopers get killed. iirc they even have an emotional moment as he dies. leading man decides he doesn't want to be in this war and kill people but he ends up slaughtering his fellow stormtroopers left and right without a care in the world.

he's supposed to have been in brainwashing with all these guys his entire life and as evidenced by his first scene he's friends with at least some of them, why the fuck is he killing them all indiscriminately? you COULD argue self defence but it still doesn't explain why he's so casual about it

both him and kylo by all reasoning should have got their asses completely handed to them by kylo. lead guy actually manages to fend him off for a good minute or so, no fucking way

then rey gets reminded of the force by kylo and magically beats him. what makes this even more retarded is she's in the middle of desperately pushing kylos saber away from her face but when she channels the force she looks like she's sleeping

that's really scratching the surface too and look how much i typed fuck this movie was awful I actually fell asleep for a quick minute towards the end
>>
>>64657718
True. But PP2 was shit. It lacked everything that made the first one good.
>>
>>64657759
>Modern western culture is American culture, because people doing big productions to add to culture go to America for the resources.

There's a difference between culture and pop culture. Pop culture will always draw from everywhere else into a single pot. America is that pot.
>>
>>64657820
>he doesn't want to be in this war and kill people but he ends up slaughtering his fellow stormtroopers left and right without a care in the world.
This is a complete misinterpretation of his character. First, it's not just the killing itself that has a negative affect on him, it's who they're killing. Second, the first half of the film addresses this. It's him running away, and the people he kills he kills out of pure self-defense. And third, this a 2 hour adventure film, not a television series where arcs can be stretched out for 5-6 hours over the course of a season. We understand Finn and his motivation for joining the resistance, and that's enough.

>both him and kylo by all reasoning should have got their asses completely handed to them by kylo.
Finn does get his ass kicked by Finn. Kylo Ren was also injured by a weapon that was established as being particularly powerful.
>>
>>64657931
>There's a difference between culture and pop culture.
There's literally no difference. "Pop" is just a quantity difference. Shakespeare dealt in the pop culture of his time.
>>
>>64657820
Finn's character was all over the place. I think that making him serious would have made it work. Guy had a traumatic past, tries to get away from it and end up doing the shit he was running away from just to survive. It's the funny man/quiping that felt out of place.

If they had made Rey the funny one, it would have worked better. She could have influenced Finn to be more lighthearted, and her becoming more serious in the final act would have been a cool twist.
>>
>>64657820
>then rey gets reminded of the force by kylo and magically beats him.
As opposed to Luke, who was reminded of the force and uses it to fire a missile into a minuscule target without the aid of targeting computers as he's moving at super sonic speeds? Rey beat an injured guy in a fight. Big fucking deal.
>>
>>64658012
Kylo, we already had this conversation: stop whiteknighting Rey, she's just not that into you. Let it go. You have no chance.
>>
>>64657987
>muh neo-neo-realism
Nolan, please leave. Star Wars is a 30s serial space adventure, not a meditation on the effects of war. We don't need a depressed Finn.
>>
>>64657689
>muh culture
European architecture was built on the backs of the poor. Democratizing culture is a good thing.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.