[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
J.J. Abrams Responds to "Rip-Off" Criticism About 'Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: jj-abrams.jpg (212 KB, 600x772) Image search: [Google]
jj-abrams.jpg
212 KB, 600x772
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jj-abrams-responds-rip-criticism-853352

>"I can understand that someone might say, 'Oh, it's a complete rip-off!' " he says, adding, "What was important for me was introducing brand new characters using relationships that were embracing the history that we know to tell a story that is new — to go backwards to go forwards."

IT'S LIKE POETRY, THEY RHYME
EVERY STANZA RHYMES WITH THE LAST ONE

He's right though, while the plot points were borrowed the characters were new as was how they reacted to the plot. Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second, so disregarding the movie because it had another death star is literally autism and completely missing the point of star wars
>>
How about having some dimension to your character ya cuck.
>>
Oh look another sw thread
>>
>>64645521
>Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second

No its character drama first and story telling second. Rehash is a betrayal to story telling.

You're the director at the helm of a billion+ dollar tent pole, and you can't write your own fairy tail. Even after hiring kasdan, who has intimate knowledge and experience about that process.
>>
>>64645521
That's just safe speak for:

>"I was afraid of losing my directorial career so I copied the first movie in the franchise, that way I wouldn't be able to fuck it up. Also Disney threatened to kill my family and everyone I'd ever known or loved if the movie was anything but a box office hit."
>>
I'm sorry, but carbon copy rip offs of the Empire as your new enemy, the Rebellion as your new protagonist, rip offs of the Emperor presence and a Vader protege, man this isn't just a harkening back to the OT, it's the same thing

a big reason why I can't feel invested in this is because I don't feel anything about the "new" villains and heroes, they're just in mirror world

He went way too hard in playing it safe, they know better than that
>>
>>64645784

don't worry everything will be explained in the next one
the characters, the setting, plot points, everything really
>>
>>64645521
no it's not that faggot. Not in a series.
>>
>director defending integrity of new movie

oh yeah, we got a real test of time masterpiece here
>>
File: haha.jpg (63 KB, 678x597) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
63 KB, 678x597
I hope he kills himself
>>
>>64645521
>implying that the characters were so jnteresting it completely negated the fact the plot was completely ripped off.
>>
Fucking hack, fucking manchildren that are supporting this fairy tale, fucking everything
>>
Told to direct a Star Wars movie ends up making Space Balls 2 the Search For More Money.
>>
>>64646030
Please tell me this is a joke.

Who does he think he's kidding?
>>
>>64646070
Wow reddit your back again?
>>
>>64645521
Actually, to be fair

If he had done something original, and the whole movie was as bad as the space gangster tentacle monster scene or the luke reunion scene, it would have been a complete disaster. Maybe he knew his limits, and disney killed this movie by ruling out directors and directions that weren't "marketable".
>>
File: 1429796235977.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1429796235977.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
>TFAfags will defend this.
The same rehashed plot,same settings with only new characters.

Truly this has become the CoD of movies.
>>
Save us Rian.
>>
>>64646103

Never left bro
>>
>>64646183
Rian can't save us, not from Abrams anyway.
>>
File: 1371678871304.png (561 KB, 1440x800) Image search: [Google]
1371678871304.png
561 KB, 1440x800
>>64645521
>He's right though, while the plot points were borrowed the characters were new as was how they reacted to the plot. Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second, so disregarding the movie because it had another death star is literally autism and completely missing the point of star wars

>>borrowed
>>not 'ripped off'
>>
>>64646030
You just can't reconcile what JJ says and what is actually in his movies

Even when directors are telling the truth, you find out it's what they aren't saying, what they are clueless about, that fucks the movie
>>
>>64645521
that sounds like bullshit

just admit that disney pressured you to do it
>>
>>64645521

"sure it's a complete ripoff of ANH, but look - i added a girl and a nigger! that's what's important!" - JeffREY Jacob Abrams
>>
>>64645521
I wished episode seven was more original but I can see why he did it this way and I accept it even though I am not alright with it. If episode eight and nine feel this way though I will be furious and raging with the rest of the fanboys out there.
>>
>>64646229
fuckin hell young fella
>>
>>64646095
JJ is some mid-tier TV director/writer who through networking, graft, bullshit and sheer Jewishness has conned his way to the top of the Hollywood pile. TFA was his attempt at dethroning Cameron as king of the box office, now he's namechecking Malick in the hopes of inveigling his way to an Academy Award or three.
>>
>>64645521

"WE GO BACKWARDS IN SOME WAYS TO GO FORWARDS IN THE IMPORTANT WAYS."

Can this be a meme now?
>>
>>64646350
I know all that, but my god to actually hear it...can one man be this delusional?

The art of cinema is truly is on life support, isn't it?
>>
Honestly, the forced diversity didn't bother me. I only hated the Nigerian sounding glasses lady's voice.
>>
>>64646030
Tbh, there were some pretty shots in the new Star Wars
>>
File: wio50hd.gif (255 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
wio50hd.gif
255 KB, 700x700
“But what the thing looks like, we all have a skeleton that looks somewhat similar, but none of us look the same..."
>>
I thought it was playing off the fact that Lucas borrowed from the monomyth, making a statement about how Star Wars itself had morphed into a modern day myth/legend?

Like, to call it a rip off is pretty dumb. The movie is very aware that it is drawing connections to the original.
>>
I seriously wish I could beat the shit out of every shittalker in this thread with a lead pipe.

Holy fuck, get off your high horse, take off your fedora, and step out once in a while.
>>
>>64646715

I'm sure you'd like to turn some more brains off, wouldn't you motherfucker
>>
>>64646715
Hi JJ. You enjoying your time hanging around 4chan?
>>
>>64646520
>I only hated the Nigerian sounding glasses lady's voice.

Wait I'm not the only one?

For some reason it just didn't fit. Like it was too bright of a voice for what the character looked like, my brain kept telling me something was wrong. They should've picked someone with a darker voice.
>>
>>64646715
>he's a manchild
>on the internet
>he takes star wars very seriously
>he gets very upset when people criticize his precious franchise
>>
File: 1451442854298.jpg (24 KB, 384x395) Image search: [Google]
1451442854298.jpg
24 KB, 384x395
>>64646030
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

watch this and try to spot all the similarities to The Force Awakens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDZaWRAvo
>>
>>64646715
>REEEEEEE STOP TALKING BAD ABOUT MY MOVIE!
>>
>>64646715

Hey there, Bob Iger. Ready to go beat your wife?
>>
>>64646644

Jesus christ anon
>>
>>64646715
How very unsocial justice of you...
>>
>>64646767

I got a strong Disney cartoon vibe from that scene

like, Grandmother Willow from Pocahontas or some shit

and then

>I love that Wookie *knowing wink and emphasis on Wookie*

come on
>>
>>64645521
>i had to ripoff star wars because people were mean to george lucas after he tried to do something new with phantom menace
take it to reddit kiddo
>>
>>64646767
really? it sounded like emma thompson to me.
>>
>>64646835

To be fair, we all want to be forcefully taken by Chewbacca
>>
>>64645521
can you ripp-off your own franchise?

although i did think it was lame that it basically wasnt a new movie
>>
This would be a legitimate defense IF the characters weren't shit and they reacted to the events with any realism whatsoever. Instead we get a giant baby with a lightsaber and Mary Sue, with the only interesting relationship the homolust twins.
>>
>>64645521
>plot was crap b-b-but that wasn't important because there are new characters!
JJ and OP are autistic faggots
>>
>>64645521
Star Wars is suppose to rhyme, but this shit is like rhyming stanzas with the same words. It's technically rhyming but people can see you put little creative effort and should be called out as shit.
>>
>>64645521
too bad all the new characters are pretty aweful and even the old cast felt like cameos from the actors considering how out of character all of them were.
>>
>>64646715
HELLOOOOOOOOO REDDIT
>>
So then tell me, how do the characters "react to the plot". As far as I can see this whole juvenile starkiller base retread is introduced half into the film and is just a boring takeaway from the previously introduced plot of finding Skywalker. Which of the 2 awful plots is the one they were reacting to
>>
>>64645521

where JJ gets his work ethic

https://youtu.be/hS6xDZxQ1jo
>>
>it's ok when tarantino does it
>>
File: jj-abrams-star-wars-Episode-71.jpg (94 KB, 620x428) Image search: [Google]
jj-abrams-star-wars-Episode-71.jpg
94 KB, 620x428
>>64645521
>He's right though

No he's not, the new movie is like a fucking commercial for a movie, it's nothing more then a series of preview clips strung together with the same story from the first movie.

It's the definition of "hack".
>>
>>64647275
Fuck Tarantino too and all, but what are you referring to?
>>
File: 1320035699052.jpg (32 KB, 615x456) Image search: [Google]
1320035699052.jpg
32 KB, 615x456
>>64647283
ie he flipping us off? FUCK YOU TOO FAGGOT!
>>
>>64647304
he copies other movies all the time and everyone is ok with it, but when jar jar does it everyone is pissed?
>>
>>64645969
That's just the interim trilogy to undue the damage inflicted by Lucas. The real trilogy will be ep 10-12. Luckily we only have to wait 4 years to get there.
>>
>>64647275

Lmao, I know right?

Or when the Coen bros shamelessly steal everything from the 30s, it's a "thoughtful and intellectual homage". At least JJ made new characters.
>>
>>64646350
>inveigling

thanks for the new word, anon
>>
>>64646030
So that's where the inspiration for those goofy close-ups and constant movement in static scenarios came from? Lmao. Terry must be cringing
>>
>>64646708

>the movie is aware that it's a ripoff, that means it isn't a ripoff
>>
>>64645521
It's like poetry
>>
Sequelbait: The Movie

Back in A New Hope, talk of the clone wars or jedi order either became motivators for heroes like Luke or just ignored. But now the history of the universe is vital information to all the characters - "what happened to luke? Who is snoke? Who is Rey? Whered the first order coe from?" etc. Nothing is left to the imagination. Theres no magic or wonderment. They literally come out and tell you to get your wallets ready for the sequels
>>
>>64647805
He probably hasn't seen TFA or heard the statement
>>
>>64647708

>buh buh buh but when the coens create a thoughtful and intellectual homage people call it that, but when jar jar creates a lazy ripoff of episode 4 of star trek and calls it episode 7 people call it that!1!1!!!1!
>>
>>64647362
>>64647275

do you generally have difficulty distinguishing between things that are obviously different from each other?

do you often need people to explain to you why tennis balls aren't oranges, even though they're both round?
>>
>>64646090
Don't insult Mel Brooks you filthy Druidian
>>
>yfw JJ says he borrowed elements of Malick in TFA
>>
>>64646715

*Teleport, katana, etc*
>>
It's no different to how every pop song rips off of others. JJ is a "top 40" director so that's all he knows.
>>
>>64646030
Wait you mean people actually care about Malick? I didn't even know about him before seeing him posted jere on /v/. I tought he was just like Cameron, a director you guys like to be contrarian
>>
>>64647955
What's funny is Mel Brooks was more like Lucas in that he borrowed from multiple sources for Spaceballs. He understood Star Wars better than JJ.
>>
>>64648039
the average /tv/ poster, everyone
>>
>>64648039
2/10, apply yourself
>>
>>64646030
>Influenced by Malick
>literally no beautiful grass shots

Nice try Jew Jew
>>
>>64648097
>He got the upside, I got the downside
Mel Brooks predicted the highground in the Force
>>
>>64645521
still a shit childrens movie

>but it made a lot of money

only because of nerds. avatar made a lot of money and no one remembers it.
>>
Can't rip off what you own.

So it's not a ripoff, it's just a legal copy.
>>
What I found interesting was that the original trilogy or prequels were not on TV when TFA premiered. Ever notice there's usually a marvel movie marathon on tv when a new marvel movie comes out? Marvel wants people to see their movies on tv, get excited about the new story, and go see the new film.

After seeing TFA and reading that article. It makes sense! Disney knew they were remaking ANH and didn't want people to be discouraged from going to see TFA if they thought it was a reboot.
>>
>>64646782

wow it's fucking identical
>>
question: the "sun" sucking death star, that was ripped from KOTOR, right?
>>
>>64646030
>influenced by Terrace Malick
Lol Training Day was shit wtf even is this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

What went wrong?
>>
>>64648716
Every two new concepts were either stolen from the previous films or from the EU.
>>
>>64648716
Heavily based on the Star Forge, yes.

I will also bet you any amount of money that Rey's trilogy character arc is a ripoff of Revan's. Everybody already suspects her memories are false.
>>
File: 0%_accuracy.webm (894 KB, 470x360) Image search: [Google]
0%_accuracy.webm
894 KB, 470x360
>>64645521
>character drama first and space battles second

It's a good thing this movie had so much character development and so few action scenes, then, or you'd sound awfully retarded, anon
>>
>>64648879

star forge - that's right. thx, couldn't remember it off the top of my head.

kek'd pretty good when FN calls it the "sun"
>>
>>64648716
>>64648879
What do the Star Forge and the Starkiller base have to do with each other at all?

>Star Forge: ship factory fueled by the dark side that is used to make infinite ships for Revan's fleet
>Starkiller base: planet based superweapon that shoots a laser powered by the sun through space to blow up every planet in a system

did I miss something?
>>
>>64648975
>kek'd pretty good when FN calls it the "sun"
Sun is a pretty widely used general term for any given solar system's star.
>>
>>64646030
>lessons in stillness
>neither of them can hold the camera still for 5 seconds
>>
File: Star_Forge_wapen.png (1 MB, 1536x826) Image search: [Google]
Star_Forge_wapen.png
1 MB, 1536x826
>>64649039
Star Forge sucks up the sun as well.
>>
>>64649045
lol, ok

The Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System and is by far the most important source of energy for life on Earth

taken from wikipedia you fucking neckbeard autist
>>
>>64647283
>>64647304
>>64647362
>>64647952
Tarantino's problem isn't that he copies other people's work, it's that he copies his own work

His movies all follow the same format and are never surprising. I get that he's trying to be campy and edgy but the schtick has worn thin for me.

His movies all kind of blend together, as though we're just watching revisions or location changes of the same fucking plot outline
>>
>>64649207

the casting for his characters is always fire though and keeps me coming back even if it's a just a different time/place/setting
>>
>>64646030
Christ, I hate what's happening to Malick. He doesn't deserve to become a meme like he has since Tree of Life. Now even TMZ wants to find him. I blame it on his insistence on working with FOTM actors, those walking, talking memes can't not create cults of personality for everything. Guys like Bateman or Brian Dennehy probably respect him enough to not, but he takes anyone that wants to get a Malick bump.
>>
I think Finn's character was original on paper, a stormtrooper who went rogue and became a good guy is an original concept.

Shame Finn is nearly useless in this movie. He's just used to show how Rey can do everything better. She's even better at running than him, better at combat than him, nevermind the fact the guy is a fucking soldier which presumes he had training, while she is a mechanical junk scavenger.

Finn's entire point in the movie is to prop her up, "hey now Rey has to save le clueless black man", "now she's going to do what he could not, and beat Kylo Ren", "she's also a better mechanic than Finn, despite the fact she deals with destroyed stuff while Finn lived near battle ready machines all day". Fuck off, just kill him already.
>>
>>64646314
No wonder he goes by JJ. who respects a man named Jeffrey?
>>
>>64646030
remember when malick did that digital zoom effect?

pure art
>>
>>64645828
Just make a>>64645828
general thread and be done with it.
>>
>>64646030
D-do you think the helicopter scene was his "Malick Moment(tm)?"
>>
>>64649567
Training isn't much to fall back on without combat experience, Jakku was probably his first taste.

Rey could have had to fight all manner of competitors and pussy sellers.
>>
>>64649207
>His movies all follow the same format
>pulp fiction and inglorious bastards follow the same pattern

I'm not saying I love the guy, but that literally isn't true.
>>
>>64649567
Right? FN "Big Deal" 2187 was the only mostly original character in the whole flick. I honestly would've liked the movie a lot more if he was the protagonist and the soon-to-be jedi, and Rey was just some scavenger who found him in the desert, saved him, and got stuck with him. But they can't do that, cause the main character has to have a vagina or else they're sexist or something.
>>
Who would have been a better person to direct these flicks?
>>
>>64645521

>>64648723
>>
>>64649726

mufucka worked in sanitation.

why the fuck was he posted up with the death squad?
>>
>>64649262
>fire

You need to die immediately

neo-wiggers pls go
>>
>>64649201
Sun (noun)

a self-luminous heavenly body; star.

Taken from the dictionary, brah.
>>
>>64645521
>Star wars is a character drama first

Then why was there absolutely no character development?
Why were the characters shallow and 1 dimensional?
Why ONCE AGAIN there an overabundance of cgi?
Jesus even Jakku and Maz's planet were unoriginal.
>>
>>64649993

Kylo Ren is a completely original character for a star wars movie
He's the only dark side user with some real depth to his character in his first movie
>>
>>64650192

try harder with the 3rd mention, faggot

noun
1.(often initial capital letter) the star that is the central body of the solar system, around which the planets revolve and from which they receive light and heat: its mean distance from the earth is about 93 million miles (150 million km), its diameter about 864,000 miles (1.4 million km), and its mass about 330,000 times that of the earth; its period of surface rotation is about 26 days at its equator but longer at higher latitudes.
2.the sun considered with reference to its position in the sky, its visibility, the season of the year, the time at which or the place where it is seen, etc.
3.a self-luminous heavenly body; star.
>>
File: bren.jpg (92 KB, 358x350) Image search: [Google]
bren.jpg
92 KB, 358x350
>>64645521
>space battles are not an important part of star wars
JUST
>>
>>64650103
Storm Troopers are hard to tell apart.
>>
>>64650237
>counting to 3 is hard
>>
>>64649704

No it was his Christopher Nolan "The Dark Knight Rises" moment
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>64645521

>Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second

Are manchildren truly this delusional?
>>
>>64646103

Reddit loves this piece of garbage and Jew jew, wtf you on about?
>>
File: come out.png (401 KB, 450x380) Image search: [Google]
come out.png
401 KB, 450x380
it makes no sense the potato adores vader, luke definitely told him he was actually a good guy and even beacme a force ghost. they fucking burnt his corpse because he was a good guy, everyone knew it at this point.

he has absolutely no motivations and reasons to join the dark side so far and it's doubtful this will change. meanwhile anakin had great reasons to join the dark side.

it makes no sense rey is suddenly this good. 30 minutes earlier ren easily wrecked her. then he can't beat her anymore and she goes from not knowing what the force is to as strong as Luke in VI.

it's makes no sense how deformed vader's helmet is. wood fire doesn't do this.

it's retarded ren freezes plasma shots. they are supposed to be deflected with the sword, this was lucas' vision. if jedi can easily freeze them, there is no reason for not just using regular bullets which are faster and more leathal anyway. now the only reason would be "but plasma looks cooler" which of course is a terrible reason from a world building perspective.

killing off the only charismatic actor.
>>
>>64649055
How about you go learn what the fuck you think you're talking about, which you clearly don't. Star with watching anything pre-Tree of Life.
>>
>>64650312
It's literally what George Lucas says about Star Wars.
>>
>>64646317

I am not even a fan of Star Wars but I respect Rian a million times more than JJ as a director (actually I don't respect JJ at all) and kinda feel like Ep 8 will be decent.

Also I looked it up and Rian and George Lucas is doing the screenplay. So either it'll be pretty damn interesting or a load of crap.
>>
>>64645521
Holy shit why doesn't he wear a belt.

Why the fuck do some people tuck their shirt in but not wear a belt?
>>
https://youtu.be/a_fqWxhTCmo?t=8m2s
Look what else he copied.
>>
>>64646708
This right here.

But /tv/ as a whole is too stupid to view it from this obvious perspective.
>>
>>64646030
Even Lucas is closer to Malick than this hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiuUlEIZoA4
>>
Since JJ confirmed he ripped off the old star wars, are they going to cut off Rey's hand, as per the tradition?
>>
>>64647809
Star Wars is not original in it's barebones, the ones being used here. It's taking from the Hero's Journey to tell a new story.

This is an extension from that first story with new characters in an old format.

There's literally nothing wrong with that since they never claimed they didn't do that.
This article proves that.

So I'm calling the ball on /tv/ being BTFO on this one.
>>
>>64650465
Shell cut her hair short and then finally get serious about her dad dying.
>>
>>64645521
>sacrificing the plot for characters
But the characters were flat!
>>
>>64650465

JJ has nothing to do with star wars 8 or 9, Disney literally just hired him to make a safe movie that would restore people's interest in the franchise
>>
File: 1421708193678.jpg (23 KB, 371x358) Image search: [Google]
1421708193678.jpg
23 KB, 371x358
>>64650237
>3.a self-luminous heavenly body; star.
>>
hey JJ added plenty of new things like helicopter shots and interracial relationships
>>
>>64646715
>Holy fuck, get off your high horse, take off your fedora, and step out once in a while.

No get off YOUR high horse faggot. People here don't like your shitty beloved film. Deal with it. Want to even try to get near me motherfucker? Then try it.
>>
File: professional homosexual.jpg (36 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
professional homosexual.jpg
36 KB, 500x750
>>64650440
>
>>
>>64650312
Wait what? No no no no, don't get it twisted.
You are the manchild if you can't actually see the best parts of Star Wars remembered for ages being emotional moments between characters in relation to the space battles.

>Obi Wan sacrifices himself while Luke, Han and Leia escape the Death Star
>Darth Vader tells Luke he's his father while Han, Leia and Chewbacca escape Bespin
>Darth Vader redeems himself as a battle goes on
>>
>>64647708

Wow you are a fucking idiot
>>
>>64648249

Are we seriously equating box office records and how much money made with actual quality? Fuck what is wrong with society
>>
>>64650514
No they weren't. People keep saying that here because they've been memed into believing so.

Rey was the best part of the film and had actual insecurities mixed with an implied, mysterious upbringing by Luke that seemingly only /tv/ is super oblivious to, hence "MARY SUE"

Kylo is a conflicted Sith wannabe torn between the hate of his absent parents and his grandfather's legacy. He's the anti-thesis of Darth Maul and ANH Vader.

Finn is a defect Stormtrooper. That's that, but even that is a great jumping off point and the film utilizes that so well, as silly a character he's used at times.
>>
>>64650034
Andrew Stanton. Even Kerry Conran.
>>
>>64650724

Yes they were
>>
>>64650775
>No they weren't
>actual opinions and arguments being expressed

>Yes they were

So you're a drooling parrot on /tv/ who can not back himself up

Glad we solved this.
>>
>>64645521
>the characters are new
Every fucking movie has new characters. That doesn't mean they are well written or worth following.
>>
>>64650814

no, they just were flat and I've already done the song and dance with the likes of you 100 times on here

just because you say a character isn't flat and then give their rote character description as a justification for it doesn't make it so

yeah, we're all aware they have a general depiction as shown in the movie, flat is criticism of quality

you're a fucktard who conflates explanation for proper qualification
>>
>>64650814
>rey was the best part of the film and had actual insecurities
>he thinks this is true
>he thinks this implies she's not a mary sue
>he thinks this claim is an argument
>>
>>64650867
You're very right. In this case, yes they are.
see
>>64650724

Considering this is part 1 of 3, this film offers more than enough depth to get behind.
>>
>>64650385
I could hold a glass of water riding on a flatbed on a dusty trail stiller than those films, while fasting.
>>
all these threads make me want to pay to see it again for the 4th time
>>
>>64645521
i don't see what the problem with this is. he admits that they did go back and borrow from the OT.

all Lucas ever did was get defensive and whine that not everyone loved his prequels.

at least JJ is willing to take criticism. he's demonstrated it before with his abuse of Lens flare in Star Trek.
>>
>>64650991

Creative criticism doesn't faze a creative hack who bases no pride on it

He's made his money
>>
>>64651012

Spot on.. If he was seriously passionate about this movie the criticisms would hit him hard. After all he probably worked a long time on it. He doesn't give a flying fuck because it was a hugely successful hit movie either way.

Even if you like the characters, the whole thing just stinks of utter cash grab to me and it's just disgusting. I refuse to even try to care about this film. I'm saying this as a non-Star Wars fan
>>
>>64650890
>no they just were flat
>I don't have to back myself up on anything
>discussing the terms of argument is just as good as an actual argument

You're dodging what makes these characters flat, anon.
Meanwhile, I can contest this groundless claim. All 3 characters in question change from their initial role at some point in the film.

>Finn defects, later stays to fight the battle instead of running away from the First Order.

>Rey changes in her refusal of the Lightsaber out of fear, being propelled by the death of Han to give up on finding her parents to go train with Luke and follow the Force

>Kylo Ren is thwarted and scarred by a child related somehow to his former master Luke

Ball is still in your court if you want to discuss things like a real adult.
>>
>>64645521
The characters aren't new they're just new to this particular franchise.

They're archetypes in a copied story in a used setting there's nothing original and he's talking out of his ass in an attempt to gain points with the partially retarded that are stupid enough to believe him and smart enough to read about something being up.

I'd rather he address Rey being a giant mary sue.
>>
>>64651079
what do you want him to do have a mental breakdown? any creator can't take all criticism too much to heart or you just spend all your time focusing on the negative. he's smart enough to know he can't please everyone and there will be people who hate his work.

not all criticism is valid, either. this particular one is, but not all.
>>
>>64650919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEIeH7ymwA

Also, you're fucking terrible at being a witty writer.
>>
>>64651121
>what do you want him to do have a mental breakdown?

Not him but yes, I legitimately wish bodily harm on him. I want him to have a mental breakdown and then just die.
>>
>>64651121

That's a good point I guess. I don't care for JJ at all but I'll admit that I guess everyone takes criticism differently, sometimes its noble to not give a shit about criticism, it just seems that the criticism is very valid here and also his prior comments that make it seem like he shoehorned certain things in there on purpose just makes it really contrived.

The criticisms seem understandable and JJ just doesn't seem to be willing to be totally forthcoming on much of the criticisms at all. Comes across as smug
>>
>>64651207
>Comes across as smug

JJ?!?! SMUG?!?!?

Pssshhhh, nah.
>>
>>64650890
I'm coming back to you to share this.

I googled flat characters.
First result:

>"Flat characters are two-dimensional in that they are relatively uncomplicated and do not change throughout the course of a work. By contrast, round characters are complex and undergo development, sometimes sufficiently to surprise the reader."

You are fucking embarrassing. Below me.
Best.
>>
>>64651088
>You're dodging what makes these characters flat, anon.

Rey literally doesn't have a rack.
>>
>>64651205
how pathetic

>>64651207
idk, ever since that interview with him where he admitted he fucked up with lens flares and some misdirection with Into Darkness it seems he has a lot more capacity to recognize his own mistakes and try to improve, instead of ridiculing people who criticize his work and thinking he's above it.

compare him to a guy like Lucas who became a lazy auteur and reacted to all the prequel backlash with a sarcastic contempt for his audience.
>>
>>64646595
the opening shot was an homage / rip off of a new hope and that last shot didn't even feel like star wars because it was shot from a helicopter upabove hovering around the characters in the distance, to showcase what? two people on the most bland starwars planet ever? The best shots were all focused on the empire but even then JJ was just rehashing. the introduction sequence of TR 8R was cool tho
>>
>>64651292
She a cute tho
>>
>>64645521
What a fucking hack.
He thinks he can shut the criticism down by saying 'I feel you bro, but look at these COOL new characters' and then cooking up some edgy paradoxical phrase 'muh backwards to go forwards' to sate his kindred pseudo-intellectuals and other assorted mouth-breathers.
He fails to address any real point because he knows that the people complaining are absolutely right.
>>
>>64651317
>how pathetic
Oh hey, I'm the the guy NOT judging you based on anonymous posts, how you doing?

I want a director to die and have a horrible fate because I don't agree with Disney owning a franchise I liked.

Is that really so horrible anon? Is it?

I didn't think so, how about a hug?
>>
>tfw you haven't seen one thread with "BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY" as the text

Who /2013memes/ here
>>
>>64645521
I don't see why people were so surprised VII was so similar to the original trilogy. After the prequels what most Star Wars fans desperately needed was a comforting pat on the head and someone to whisper in their ear, "Shhh, no, we're not gonna do that anymore. Look, you recognize this, right? Yeah, this is the stuff you like."

Why would they risk alienating people even further from Star Wars after the prequels? Nostalgia wank was the safest bet, they're just lucky the new characters they brought in were well-received.
>>
>>64645837
This should have been thread but this is /TV/ where no one understands the importance of originality with respect to the source material.

Idk what I expect, this is the birthplace of all things meme...
>>
>>64651348
Billboard brow and constantly looks constipated and/or confused.
>>
File: 1449235306450.jpg (58 KB, 228x226) Image search: [Google]
1449235306450.jpg
58 KB, 228x226
>Star Wars 8
>AN EVEN BIGGER death star that borrows from the original movies but shuffles them around
>Its ok Its about the characters
-retards
>Star Wars 9
>AN EVEN BIGGERER death star that borrows from the original movies but shuffles them around
>Its ok Its about the characters
You do understand how this basically not an argument at all right?
>>
>>64650202
>Why ONCE AGAIN there an overabundance of cgi?
There wasn't. When it's practical effects there can never be an overabundance of them.
>>
>>64651088
Mary Sues are flat characters, she was always flawless there's no room for improvement.
>>
>>64651386
>Is that really so horrible anon? Is it?

yes.
>>
>>64645521
>to go backwards to go forwards

Jesus Christ these hacks will come out with any old bullshit
>>
>>64651538
No it isn't anon.

Stop being so melodramatic.
>>
>>64651561
>being this sociopathic
>>
>>64650488

>This is an extension from that first story with new characters in an old format.
>There's literally nothing wrong with that since they never claimed they didn't do that.
>This article proves that.
>making a statement about how Star Wars itself had morphed into a modern day myth/legend?

This is a whole new level of stupid.

Making a fucking movie to state that you are a legend by coping the old one. I guess TFA internet defense force is getting desperate.

We already knew star wars was a legend, we were waiting for that legend TO CONTINUE not take a bunch of shit from the EU then shit all over it while copying episode 4. Was that the whole reason to Un-canonize the EU? I think so.
>>
Is OP going to deny that reddit is where he found this garbage that no one cares about?
>>
>>64651599
What's so bad about wanting a director to die because he made the first film in a franchise under new ownership that I don't agree with?

What's so horrible about going to the range for the last 7 months and target shooting pictures of JJ Abrams at 200 yards until I have 2 inch groupings?

You fags thought I was kidding didn't you?

That nigga has a death sentence mark my fucking words.
>>
Finn was the only good character
>is a puss
>try's to leave
>has a chance to get away from the order
>grows some balls
>fights basically embodiment of The First Order
>gets fucked up, but proves he's not just a little bitch
>>
>>64651371
spot on man
>>
>>64651671
>Finn was the only good character
Hate the movie but I actually agree with this, Finn was GOAT
>>
>>64650444
My god, this game is truly awful.
>>
>>64651664
it's a movie, anon. get some friends/fresh air/help
>>
>>64645521
>He's right though, while the plot points were borrowed the characters were new as was how they reacted to the plot. Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second, so disregarding the movie because it had another death star is literally autism and completely missing the point of star wars

except he's also reused or trashed character archetypes from the previous movies such as

>random wise old sage
>Han Solo tough character that works for themselves at first (Finn)
>literal broken mary sue of a main character that makes no sense
>wise old man that will be a mentor (Luke)
>literal actual Darth Vader clone that misses the point of the character in every way and fails miserably (Kylo Ren)
>also completely disregards previous concrete character developments such as the unbreakable friendship between Lea, Luke, and Han since they act like long lost relatives in this movie or some shit and Luke turns into a traveling autist
>meme droids
>dark evil dude literally in shadows talking and plotting with other bad guys (lel)

that's really just the tip of the iceburg of bad this movie is off that top of my head, really that shiny Storm Trooper bitch is the only original thing in the whole movie, no wait she might end up being a Boba Fett ripoff
>>
>>64651718
no
>>
>>64648249
Inflation added, this movie is apparently in spot 21.
>>
>>64651718
>it's a movie
TO YOU

TO YOU IT'S A MOVIE

FOR SOME OF US IT WAS OUR LIFE
>>
>>64651723
>literal actual Darth Vader clone that misses the point of the character in every way and fails miserably (Kylo Ren)
As much as I dislike the movie, I think that was kinda the point.
>>
>>64651396
I feel like "storytelling" is as much a meme as "practical effects".
>>
This fucking guy makes me sad, like I currently have a bad morning because of his autism and cancer mind.
I wish he gets killed in a car accident
>>
>>64651769
not jj's fault :^)
>>
>>64651778
And this ladies and gentlemen is what nu-Hollywood has brought us to.
>>
>>64645521
>Star wars is a character drama first
correct. hitting the same dramatic beats with a near identical dramatic structure is pretty much a rip-off as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>64651793
He's still going to pay.
>>
>>64651811
well, it's lost it's meaning, no? it doesn't mean being clever and emotionally manipulative, it means "there are superstar writers/producers involved"
>>
>>64651772
The character is inconsistent and just dumb tbqh.
>>
File: 1452323388871.jpg (8 KB, 236x132) Image search: [Google]
1452323388871.jpg
8 KB, 236x132
>>64651671

Nah.. Should have just replaced the actor that played Finn with this guy
>>
>>64650034
Terry Gilliam. Anyone who disagrees is a massive candy-ass
>>
File: 1447526540969-1.jpg (115 KB, 534x807) Image search: [Google]
1447526540969-1.jpg
115 KB, 534x807
>>64651830
Damn right he is going to PAY
>>
>>64647884
Zoolander is one of his favorite movies
>>
>>64651778
>I feel like "storytelling" is as much a meme as "practical effects".
Even more of a meme because the word is used in a more nebulous fashion.
>>
>>64650217
>CRAAAAAAWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN
>character depth
>>
>>64651838

These hacks think storytelling means to shoehorn a bunch of cliches and obvious subtext in there and tie it all together with a bunch of faux "twists", kill off a character or two, end with a cliffhanger and there ya go.

Except storytelling means much more than a bunch of tactics to "woo" the audience.
>>
>>64650034
>>64650749
>>64651848
What about this one: Who should have directed/co-wrote TPM instead of Lucas to make it literal perfection?

My vote:
George Miller, for maximum may may
>>
>>64650217
Being a cutter is no substitute for depth.
>>
>>64651502
>no room for improvement
>whole film meant to set up VIII
>IX comes afterwards as well

What about the Monomyth don't you understand?
>>
>>64651902

I would have liked to see a Star Wars done Tim Burton style circa late 80s/early 90s. Too bad that will never be a possibility though since Burton is a hack now.
>>
>>64645521
>Star wars is a character drama first and space battles second, so disregarding the movie because it had another death star is literally autism and completely missing the point of star wars

The main character succeeds at everything based on a background and development to which the audience is not remotely privy.

Sounds like J.J. failed hard.
>>
File: 400px-Issue_11_Cover.jpg (147 KB, 400x520) Image search: [Google]
400px-Issue_11_Cover.jpg
147 KB, 400x520
>>64645521
>He's right though, while the plot points were borrowed the characters were new as was how they reacted to the plot.

>"I'll make my own OCs and drop them into the first Star Wars movie and see how they react. They get to meet Han Solo, Leia, Luke Skywalker, everybody! And blow up the Death Star!"

>"Next I'll drop my OCs into Breaking Bad and see what happens XD They get to meet Heisenberg and go on crazy adventures with him!"

>"Ok now they meet Sonic the Hedgehog and help him fight Eggman!"
>>
>>64651671
Everybody talks about what a coward he is, but I think this is way overselling things. It's understandable to freak out after your buddy gets shot down beside you. And then the entire village gets stone cold executed and you're thinking "this isn't what I signed up for". Now, your comrades believe in this Nazi shit, and it's what keeps them going, but what about you? Somebody throws me in the middle of a war zone where people are getting blown up around me and I'm gonna be shitting my pants. And my motivation to overcome my fears is going to be pretty weak if I'm fighting for space-Hitler.
>>
>>64651642
Do any of you know what the fucking monomyth is? All TFA wanted to do was carry it on again in order to flip the expectations of what happens after the first entry on it's head.
>>
>>64651915
Shes just going to keep being perfect and knowing how to do everything and beating everyone up
>>
>>64651976
Are you that retarded to assume that? That is THE dumbest stance to hold to.

Fucking /tv/ man. This fucking delusional.
>>
>>64651902
That's easy. Terry Gilliam.
>>
>>64651997
you know I'm right faggot
>>
>>64651968
>>64651997
>>64651915
>muh monomyth

Guess you took a writing class in nightschool or something, amirite?
>>
>>64651997

Pffft, anon. I think Rey can handle herself, ok? She's a kickass heroine.

thanks
>>
Let's be honest here. As much of a talentless hack JJ is, I actually think he COULD've done better. (Lol, yeah, I know, I know.) The thing is though, this movie was a very calculated, let's play it safe (in fact let's play it reeeeal safe) move for Disney to make money off of the brand. And this shouldn't be unsurprising to anyone. Disney is all about dosh. They invested 4 billion dollars into acquiring this PRODUCT BRAND, and they're gonna be spitting these out for decades to come. They want the brand and the merchandising to do the real work. Playing it safe was always on the agenda.

But playing itself is also what's causing the backlash, they played it too self, made the movie too dependent on what came before it.

I think we can all agree that movies can be art, be all product or a bit of both.

The original story I think is good art, even though its space adventure story for children. The prequel trilogy was also art, albeit in mine and most everyone's opinion, really bad art. TFA is a nearly 100% product. A play it safe product to not turn people off of the bad art of the prequel trilogy.

tl dr, the movie was always gonna be a product, it was always gonna play it super safe.
>>
>>64652087
desu JJ was a great choice to open the trilogy with, by all means he is a fairly "safe" and bankable director.

ep 8 is in more capable hands anyway.
>>
>>64651502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbFKuEY5jk
>>64651976
>>64652014
>>
>>64652087
>hurr they played it safe

How many action blockbusters that are made for raking in the money have FEMALE MAIN CHARACTERS HEROES?

None?

Oh yeah, real "safe", fucking

/sarcasm
/pwnage
/told
>>
>>64652131

>by all means he is a fairly "safe" and bankable director.

That's not a good thing
>>
File: gitgud.jpg (30 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.jpg
30 KB, 460x288
>>64651848
the monty python guy?
never would have guessed...

>>64652000
trips confirm I guess
>>
>>64652166
>That's not a good thing
not according to the film's reception and BO numbers
>>
>>64652170

You never saw Brazil?
>>
>>64652145
>I disagree with you
>rather than deal with it I think I'll just mock you

Well ok anon, that's fair I guess.
>>
File: theMANtheLEGEND.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
theMANtheLEGEND.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>64652199
not yet, mum says it's dangerous there.
>>
>>64652165
The female mary sue protagonist is super safe in todays media narrative. Movie gets universal feminist praise does it not?
>>
>>64652263
>all this misogyny

Stop whining about women you fucking pansy.
>>
>>64651501
tfw Star Trek The Motion Picture is a better looking film than TFA.
>>
>>64652165
Literally one that had the title "Star Wars" in it.
>>
>>64652165
>>64652263
>>64652295
>"Having female main characters isn't playing it safe!!!"
>"Actually it is"
>"S-stop whining!"
>>
so, we all agree that it sucks and only tasteless sheeple and single issue viewers liked it, right?
>>
>>64652319
hmm, while it does seem the production art much like the score was unenthused, do you actually mean the cinematography by Mindel?
>>
>>64652352
Leia wasn't the main character, Luke was.
>>
>>64652052
You got me. Guess I know what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to George Lucas' initial influences?
I'm analyzing what made the first film and this film similar. It's the same format.

It's also what TFA is going for directly. This is what JJ is saying in this response.

To pretend this film and JJ Abrams and Lasdan claimed it's doing something more than that is beyond stupid.
>>
File: 1452277124947.jpg (42 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
1452277124947.jpg
42 KB, 541x498
>>64645784
>Kylo Ren was one dimensional

Prequel apologist detected.
>>
>>64652399
what a qt, sauce?
>>
>>64650464
lucas went to film school
did JJ?
>>
>>64652421
JJ is jewish and thus naturally gifted in all things except athletic ability
>>
>>64652379
Not what I meant. The fact the film was titled "Star Wars" was safe enough for them to add whoever they wanted for the lead.
>>
>>64652399
He's about as one dimensional as Anakin. Fuck, most of TFA's problems are the same as the prequels but yet only the prequels get called out on it.

Fuck off, Kylo is about as much as a walking Linkin Park catalog as Anakin.
>>
ANOTHER
DEATH
STAR
!
I almost walked out at that point, but decided to stay and HOPE
I made the wrong choice
>>
>>64645521
STAR WARS IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A SHITTY STORY SO IF YOU CRITICIZE IT FOR HAVING A SHITTY STORY YOU ARE AUTISTIC SINCE THE POINT OF STAR WARS IS TO HAVE A SHITTY STORY

Kill yourself.
>>
>>64652455
Calling out TFA on anything would be misogynist and maybe a little racist.

In fact this whole thread triggers me.
>>
>>64645521
Thank you JJ
I enjoyed your Mary Sue version of Luke!
>>
>>64652438
oh yeah? then what are Adam Sandler's biographical films, "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" and "The Ridiculous 6" about then, familia?
>>
>>64652477
It's not so much that the story is shitty it's that it's the same shitty story again
>>
>>64646859

*kanjiclub
>>
>>64652502
Sandler is clearly lying about being jewish.
>>
>>64645521
could have done all that without death star number 3
>>
>>64652550
should have just made the Eclipse canon tbhlad
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.