[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do they ever air old classics in modern theaters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: R5after_0011800[1].jpg (204 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
R5after_0011800[1].jpg
204 KB, 1920x1080
Is there such a thing as theaters airing old films that are beautifully shot and best viewed in cinemas
>>
Yeah

http://www.100yearsofmovies.net/p/theaters-showing-classic-films.html
>>
stepping into a larger world, anon.
http://in70mm.com
>>
>>64640533
why are new threads 404ing so quickly?
>>
>>64640533
Lots of cities have non-chain theaters that'll occasionally show classic films, or else classic films might be shown as part of the city's film festival.

I saw Nosferatu for the first time in a theater that had a pit orchestra there to do the music.
>>
File: 1449385798483.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1449385798483.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
>>64640533
I have a theater near me called "The Guild" which airs old/independent/foreign movies all the time

>TFW watched Zombie there on Halloween.
>>
Yep, one of my local theaters does this once a week. They also serve hot food, beer, and cocktails.

Before the new Star Wars movie, they showed all these old commercials for Star Wars and toys from the 70s and 80s. And old interviews with the actors from the OT in the early 80s.

I love theaters that do stuff like this. It makes me go to them more often and I feel I get my money's worth.
>>
You should find the nearest Museums or Cinemas that exhibit 70mm film festivals. in70mm.com has a calendar. This festival was in NYC: http://www.movingimage.us/films/2015/08/07/detail/see-it-big-70mm/
>>
yeah, we have here every monday all type of classics (old and modern) for $1.

ive watched recently persona, pulp fiction, irreversible, delicatessen, among others.
>>
>>64640664
nice!
>>
There's a theatre in Tucson call The Loft that does this pretty much every day.
Got to see The Star Wars Holiday Special there a couple weeks back... complete with original commercials.
>>
>>64640533
We have entire cinema dedicated just for this.
I've seen so many good films there.
>>
>>64640533

Just try to look for local cinemas, OP, your city should have at least one. They usually have a website with the detailed program and they typically show one classic movie every week (or every two weeks), sometimes with extra activities (orchestra doing the music for silent films, double features, etc.).
>>
>>64640652
Because if they're not about Star Wars they're not worth a damn.
>>
>>64640533
Aero Theater
Santa Monica
Lawrence of Arabia
70mm
January 23
>>
in melbourne, the Astor does
>>
I don't live there now but Rochester NY has the Eastman Museum Dryden Theatre that shows a lot of older films as well as contemporary pop classics and documentaries.

I just looked and upcoming is the Hitchcock/Truffaut doc, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and The Wizard of Oz
>>
We have a cinema like that, plus ticket prices are only 2,40€ for students (it's subsidised and run by the government, like a museum). At least once a week there's some nice classic I'd love to see. The few times I've been there were barely any other people in it. Too bad I don't really have any friends to go with.

One time they actually showed The Devil in Miss Jones...
>>
The Prince Charles Cinema in London is pretty good for stuff like that. I've only been a handful of times (To watch an Alien marathon and Escape from New York) but they play a lot of old stuff. Mainly cult classics, as opposed to just straight up classic cinema, but I'm sure they must still play stuff like that.
>>
Penn Cinemas is PA/DE do once a week for a few months a year. I saw Citizen Kane that way.

The practice seems to be becoming more common.
>>
>>64640533
Yeah literally any city will have an independent movie theater or an art school that has a "cinematheque" or even BOTH
>>
In Toronto we have the Lightbox.
Based Lightbox.
>>
File: c.png (887 KB, 917x708) Image search: [Google]
c.png
887 KB, 917x708
>>64640533
Cinemark theaters have their "Classic Series" where they play different old movies throughout the year.

Pic related is their current line up.
>>
>>64640889

>Aero

My nigga. Going to see Dark City/Matrix on Sunday.
>>
>>64640856
Have you been to any of their all night horror movie marathons? I remember they screened Suspiria & Deep Red in 35mm last year but I missed it.
>>
>>64640664
even some chains do, i think larger cinemarks have a few showings a month of non new movies
>>
>>64640533
When I was a teenager I was part of a group that went and viewed old classics at the private dolby screening labs with discussion after. I think they still do it.
>>
>>64641881
>Sierra Madre

I'd really like to see that on the big screen
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>64640533
Woa, I'm halfway through this right now (buffering)
And I was gonna start the same exact thread after I finished, like same exact OP
>>
>>64641017
Mah nigga, fellow melbfag
>>
One of the bigger theaters near me is hosting a classics week, think their showing Blade Runner though not sure which version
>>
File: fdsfdsfsd.jpg (492 KB, 665x924) Image search: [Google]
fdsfdsfsd.jpg
492 KB, 665x924
>>64641881
>http://www.cinemark.com.br/classicos-cinemark
>>
>>64642076
If you ever get the opportunity do it
>>
In Maryland there is the AFI silver which always has some great rotation going.

Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm
2001 in 70mm
Princess Mononoke
Possession
Rosemary's Baby
The Conformist (with the DP giving a talk after)

Great theater. You can buy beer and wine there too.
>>
>>64640533
Yes, in Seattle the Cinerama does all the time
>>
>>64640533
I don't know if this is "beautifully-shot" but the family-owned theater here showed 16 Candles back in 2013
>>
OP, even my local franchise mega-cineplex plays old movies.
>>
>>64640533
Yeah, some smaller theaters do, I saw The Birds in one
>>
>>64640533
There's a local theater that has some shit called "Turnback Tuesdays" where every Tuesday they show random classics for only $1 per admission. Last week I went and saw Caddyshack for $1.
>>
Yeah senpai I've seen the Blade Runner final cut on 35 mm twice

Also Akira and Ghost in the Shell on 35 mm
>>
>>64641881
Holy shit, I had no idea they're showing Blade Runner. Thanks for the info!
>>
>>64640533
My local theater plays cult classics every Thursday.

Pretty sweet deal as they do double features for just $10.
>>
>>64641881
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a great flick. Recommend it to anyone. Really funny and great ending.
>>
File: 2016_01_Cult.png (911 KB, 1444x1882) Image search: [Google]
2016_01_Cult.png
911 KB, 1444x1882
>>64643758
Pic related
>>
>>64643789
wow that would be really cool to see the warriors on the big screen, you should do it for me
>>
Yeah. they're usually locally owned independent theaters. There used to be one i went to that would track down the old prints of grindhouse movies and play them. It did a bunch of classic type movies too, like 2001 A Space Odyssey.
>>
>>64643809
I will anon. Last one I went to was Fight Club which was great.
>>
You Californians are lucky. I live in CT, only a small handful of theaters in this state regularly play classic movies.
>>
>>64641881
>Closest one is in Boca Raton

It sucks living in Miami. The local theatres (Cobb and AMC) only show the latest blockbusters.
>>
>>64643956
Yeah, but our state is filled with smelly foreigners and politicians that think money grows on trees. It's give and take. The weather is mostly nice though.
>>
File: shot.png (1 MB, 709x889) Image search: [Google]
shot.png
1 MB, 709x889
thank you based castro theatre
>>
File: 1437547270083.jpg (88 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1437547270083.jpg
88 KB, 854x859
My local theatre still shows movies on the giant traditional film reels because they're too cheap to move to digital.
On the bright side, the tickets are cheap as fuck ($6 if you go before 6pm)
...but they're super family friendly and refuse to show any movies rated over pg-13, which is hell because the closest theatre that does is 50+ miles away
>>
>>64640533
Check your country's international film festival
>>
>>64640533
You def get a selection of classics in London. The Prince Charles Cinema off Leicester Square shows more recent and pop cinema, and the BFI on the South Bank shows a whole buttload of classics on an ongoing basis.
>>
>>64644031
>plays blade runner
>and its the final cut version
oh fuck time to move to america
>>
>>64644758
Where do you live?
>>
>>64644031
Impressive lineup. Which did you already see and which do you plan on seeing?
>>
I was in Nebraska with a friend and went to see The Shining for the first time at a local cinema.

Fantastic movie, have seen it twice since then. So glad I got to see it in theaters, beautiful movie.
>>
If you live in LA, there are like 10 revival theatres to choose from. The New Beverly is owned by Quentin Tarantuala, and double features are like $6. Most major cities have a revival theatre, and cinemark theatres show older movies sometimes
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.