[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one's better, Manhunter or Red Dragon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
File: ss+(2016-01-08+at+02.21.30).jpg (60 KB, 383x458) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-08+at+02.21.30).jpg
60 KB, 383x458
Which one's better, Manhunter or Red Dragon?
>>
>Michael Mann vs. Brett Ratner

That's a tough one
>>
>>64636223
The cast of Red Dragon is more talented, but Brett Ratner is a garbage director. Mann's directing and cinematography puts Manhunter far above Red Dragon.
>>
Red Dragon gets more hate than it deserves.
Manhunter is so 80's tho... i love it
>>
>>64636301

Red Dragon is better, but people are biased because they don't think a shitty director can make a better movie than Michael Mann. They're not being objective in their opinions.
>>
Manhunter >> Hannibal Season 3 >>>>>>>>>> dog shit >>>>>>>>>> Brett Ratner's existence
>>
>>64636223
Fiennes wins it for red dragon.
>>
>>64636767
This.
Red Dragon's casting is excellent, but Ratner's direction is as by the numbers as it gets. Mann elevates the material.
>>
>>64636906
Manhunter was original at least

Red Dragon was just Silence of Lambs: The Prequel. Ratner took the formula from a successful movie and applied to another.
>>
>>64636223

Manhunter, duh.
>>
Manhunter is more atmospheric and unique but Red Dragon had better performances.

Isn't Manhunter the only one that actually has Hannibal showing off his sixth digit as well?
>>
File: when will they learn.jpg (8 KB, 451x192) Image search: [Google]
when will they learn.jpg
8 KB, 451x192
Rape Fines was really good in Red Dragon
>>
>>64636982
How? Explain certain instances. You mean the interaction between Lector and Graham speed talking in Manhunter? They talk fast because they're both smart, get it? It's fucking dumb.

>>64636995
And it worked.
>>
the hannibal tv show of course
>>
File: brett ratner.png (307 KB, 856x477) Image search: [Google]
brett ratner.png
307 KB, 856x477
Good question
>>
>>64637048
I liked that the Lecter/Graham stuff was almost a side story in Manhuter, like it is in the book. RD was the studios trying to capitalize of Silence of the Lambs' success.
>>
>>64637157
That's why they waited until after Hannibal to capitalize on Silence of the Lambs' popularity? It was also a sub plot in Red Dragon, you dolt.
>>
File: manhunter.jpg (82 KB, 974x413) Image search: [Google]
manhunter.jpg
82 KB, 974x413
>>64637048
>You mean the interaction between Lector and Graham speed talking in Manhunter?
Well, for starters the setting of the first scene between the two is shot in a way that the bars are always between the camera and the speaker. There presents and idea that both Hannibal and Will are trapped in different ways. You can take a lot of elements from that scene and analyze them.

Compared to Red Dragon, Hannibal's cell is just the cell from SoTL, but with the lighting and filters cranked up to take it from realistic to spooky haunted dungeon.

Then you have other things, like the parallels between how Graham and Dollarhyde interact with Lounds. Lounds takes advantage of them at their lowest, Will when he is hospitalized, and Dollarhyde by insulting his manhood. Both respond with violence, Will by throwing him into a car, Dollarhyde by killing him.

Then you have shots like pic related. Dollarhyde is dead and his pose and blood making him resemble the red dragon he worshiped. But instead of being all powerful he is weak and at the mercy of Will. Also, Will's head is cut off in the shot which plays into the theme of him losing himself and his humanity in the pursuit of dollarhyde.

Those are just three examples I can think of off the top of my head. There is a lot of depth to manhunter and Mann's near autistic level of attention to detail is what makes it such a great film.
>>
>>64637732
tl;dr
>>
>>64636223
I liked Red Dragon more, but I enjoyed both.
>>
>>64637768
:^)
>>
>>64636223
Red Dragon the novel
>>
>>64637820
The only person itt with the right answer.
>>
>>64636223
Red Dragon had a great opening scene with Lector, but overall the film felt kind of... safe.
>>
>>64637043
>Red Dragon had better performances.

It had good performances, but I don't think they were better. Norton's Will Graham is a bland FBI agent, Peterson is insane and terrified of who he is. The supporting characters are roughly the same. I guess you could argue that Fiennes did a better job than Noonan, but Dolarhyde is used differently in each movie. Fiennes had the chance to play a more complete character, but Noonan played the scary, menacing mystery that Manhunter was going for.

>>64637048
>They talk fast because they're both smart, get it?
They talk fast because they hate each other. Graham is trying to get the experience over with as soon as possible, and Lector is fucking with the person who put him in jail. In the book, the two weren't friends. Will Graham literally went insane trying to get into Lector's head during the investigation, and when he finally caught him, he almost died. To Graham, Lector is a representation of everything he hates about himself, and he doesn't want to be around him. And Lector hates Graham fro catching him based on luck and a hunch, and confining him to a metal hospital; don't forget that he tries to have him killed. It's a conversation between two people that hate each other, and Manhunter shows that well.
>>
>>64638232
>>64637732

All conjecture. You trying to give deep meaning to your favorite and discredit the other because hurr Ratner
>>
File: 124557gs3.png (314 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
124557gs3.png
314 KB, 720x304
Emily Watson was a better Reba in Red Dragon.
>>
>>64636223
I related more to Red Dragon. Manhunter bored me to be honest.
>>
>>64636223

>I like the silence of the lambs series

You'd be more comfortable here

>>>/r/movies
>>
>>64638270
>try to discuss the film
>you just dont like ratner
way to sidestep
>>
>>64638424
That's the crux of your argument. You're applying meaning to things where it does not exist. It's Film Theory 101. It's not real.
>>
Manhunter. No contest.
>>
>>64636910
>It's a Bryan Fuller copies Red Dragon scene by scene episode
>>
Manhunt
>STRONG AS I AM
>>
Brian Cox best Lector
>>
>>64636767
But Ed Norton literally was worse than William Petersen. And you can tell Anthony Hopkins completely phoned it in.

Maybe they hired more famous and renowned actors, but I think there was better acting in Manhunter.
>>
>>64638270
Those are posts by two different people man. I'm the second one. And I don't give a shit about Ratner. Red Dragon is a perfectly good movie, and a good adaptation of the book that Ratner actually did a fine job handling. I just think Manhunter did a better job.

And the character information isn't made up. Read the book, Graham and Lector really don't like each other, and Graham is scared shitless and losing his mind again. The movie also makes this clear by having Graham lose it after the interview, and talk about his past with his son.
>>
>>64638571

my associate of black lineage
>>
Red Dragon was "Hey, Hopkins is super famous as Hannibal Lecter lets make another movie". They basically make Hannibal into the main character of the movie for this exact reason.
>>
>>64638571
>>64638714
I'm with you guys, too my melanin enriched brothers.

Cox does a great job of portraying Lector as he is in Red Dragon. He's not the suave supervillain pop culture made him into, he's just a pissed off, manipulative psychopath with a superiority complex and a grudge against Will Graham.
>>
>>64638473
So you are completely discrediting Mann's decisions and effort in an attempt to make Red Dragon seem better? Tell me why you think Red Dragon is actually good.
>>
>>64638736
You're right. It had absolutely nothing to do with there being a series of books that the movies were adapted from. No one cared about Manhunter. Silence of the Lambs was a huge hit, Hannibal does well, and a modern day prequel was just a cash grab.
>>
>Manhunter
>Scenes showing hours upon hours of dedicated viewing of evidence and the video tape. Reflection on the material. You feel the frustration of William Graham, that aha moment when he finally notices something and all of the pieces come together.

>Red Dragon
>Wait Lector said that one thing, let's look at the tape, oh that's what he means let's go get him!

It worked in Silence of the Lambs. It was horribly forced and stupid in Red Dragon.
>>
>>64638837
It worked in Silence of the Lambs because Clarice was a trainee who didn't do very much right, and only managed to catch the killer by accident. Will Graham is supposed to be such a good investigator that the the FBI had to ask him back from retirement and risk him losing his mind again.
>>
>>64639381
And because Lector knew who Buffalo Bill was the entire time. He was basically fucking with Clarice the entire time and dropping obscure hints on purpose. He had no idea who the Tooth Fairy was.
>>
>>64637044
Manhunter is the better movie. Finnes is the better toothfairy.
>>
I loved this scene on Hannibal S3
>>
File: 1438731203743.png (342 KB, 725x483) Image search: [Google]
1438731203743.png
342 KB, 725x483
>>64638232
>Peterson is insane and terrified of who he is
This. Peterson is fucking amazing in this.

"Haven't you, my man?"
>>
both shit
>>
>>64641158
acceptable point of view
>>
>>64636223
>Which one's better, Manhunter or Red Dragon?

Hannibal Season 3.
>>
Red Dragon

The acting was much better in Red Dragon; Manhunter only has its visuals for people to drool over.
>>
>>64641315
The thing about Manhunter was that the plot was a vehicle for the visuals. The degeneracy and bleakness of judicial perception. A wake up call to our world and what is in it.
>>
Manhunter. It much better captures the fever-dream atmosphere of the novel.
>>
>>64638329
Muh
>>
File: nervous pepe.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
nervous pepe.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>YFW this starts playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCkHanF4v1w
>>
>>64636995
>Red Dragon was just Silence of Lambs: The Prequel.

That's why it was better.
>>
File: Francis_Dolarhyde_(Manhunter).jpg (181 KB, 548x516) Image search: [Google]
Francis_Dolarhyde_(Manhunter).jpg
181 KB, 548x516
Tom Noonan is underrated
>>
>>64641805
Noonan...had days like this?
>>
>>64641777
The problem is Brett let pop culture influence the film. Hannibal is supposed to be a small part of a bigger picture but because The Silence of the Lambs was such a huge hit Hannibal gets a ton of unnecessary screentime. Another big problem is Brett Ratner is a fucking awful director. Michael Mann's beautiful, atmospheric style elevated the material. Brett tried and failed to copy what Jonathan Demme did on The Silence of the Lambs.
>>
>>64641777
>I like a soulless rehash more than a bold and well shot Michael Mann film

You're retarded, and belong on reddit.com.
>>
>>64636223
Definitely Manhunter. Michael Mann is an auteur that made an incredible thriller that's full of style. Brett Ratner is a hack that doesn't have a vision or an ounce of style.
>>
>>64636223
>Well...Here I....Am
>>
>>64636223
Manhunter has better cinematography and a better soundtrack.
Red Dragon has a better screenplay and cast.

Watch and enjoy both.
>>
Everything about Manhunter was superior, except for the climax. Really awkward fucking editing, gives it a really dated and cheesy vibe in contrast to the rest of the film which came off as reserved for the most part.

Especially odd considering that Michael Mann has directed some of the best action movie climaxes ever. It's literally his thing
>>
>>64636223
Manhunter. That is an indisputable fact.
>>
>>64638329
T I G E R C O C K
>>
>>64640132
looks like meme shit
>>
Haven't seen Red Dragon, but the answer is Manhunter.
>>
>>64643340

Apparently when they were shooting the climax they'd ran out of money and Michael Mann actually had to shoot it himself while holding the camera. I can respect it just for that bit of knowledge.
>>
>>64636223
The cell p good kino fám
>>
>>64643635
I haven't seen either of them but I know people say that Michael Mann is a better director than Brett Ratner so I'll choose whatever one Mann directed.
>>
manhunter is fucking cool which is why its better than bland-ass red dragon

red dragon has good performances in the sense that you're never distracted by bad or clumsy acting (aside from hopkins' typical cheese) but there are no stand-outs either so who gives a fuck?
>>
>>64636906
>Brett
>shitty

Rush hour was good
>>
>>64641212
this
>>
>>64643798
One good movie doesn't redeem a director that has made tons and tons of shit. Plus Rush Hour isn't anything special. It's an enjoyable action comedy but anyone could've directed that movie, Brett adds nothing to it.
>>
>>64643798

Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker are the reason Rush Hour is entertaining.
>>
>>64641132

Petersen gets Graham just right. Norton is too bland and Dancy is almost playing a mini-Hopkins.

>Best Graham
Petersen

>Best Crawford
Glenn

>Best Lector
Mads
>>
>>64636906
you dumb fuck
>>
>>64636767
I disagree, Norton was not a good Will and Hopkins didn't have his heart in it and looked old and fat compared to his silence of the lambs lector.

Fiennes was GOAT though and carries the movie.
>>
>>64643995
Talkin' into the mirror again, Randolf? LOL
>>
>>64643852
Brett>JJ Abrams
>>
>>64643741
Michael Mann did Manhunter.
Watch it, it's amazing.
>>
>>64636958
>Mandy is a fool, ride with me
>will never get to ride with Ralph or Joseph Fiennes
Why even have an ass?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>64643771
He's catching on
>>
>>64641805
he's shit for the toothfairy looks wise. dolarhyde is supposed to be handsome, he only thinks he is hideous because of abuse and his childhood being deformed. he still believed he was ugly even after his palate was fixed.

turning him into a bald, grey haired creep is just.... i dont understand the decision to do it when they make a point in a book to talk about how good looking he is and how all the women he works with think he's hot and mysterious.
>>
>>64641655
pretty fucking good desu
>>
>>64644041
Nah. Jew Jew is extremely overrated but he's good at directing fast paced action scenes. Most of his movies have major script issues but the action is always enjoyable. Brett is completely talentless.
>>
Have you ever seen blood in the moonlight Will? It appears quite black
>>
>>64644562
>It's just you and me now, sport.
>>
>>64641655
my mann!
>>
>>64641655
what did dollarhyde mean by this?
>>
>>64643960
I can get behind this, but I still like Dancy a lot. Norton just seemed like he didn't give a fuck about the role beyond the paycheck. or maybe it's because Ratner is a mediocre director and cant get more out of his actors
>>
>>64636223
STRONG AS I AM
>>
File: manhunter dolarhyde.jpg (26 KB, 854x479) Image search: [Google]
manhunter dolarhyde.jpg
26 KB, 854x479
>>64645037
THERES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS THING THAT SCARES ME
>>
File: Manhunter.jpg (73 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Manhunter.jpg
73 KB, 1440x1080
SOME TIMES I
SOME TIMES I
SOME TIMES I
UNDERSTAND IT VERY CLEARLY
>>
File: Big Hush.jpg (59 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Big Hush.jpg
59 KB, 1600x900
>>64645096
Desire
The ashes and the fire
Turning this night inside
And the light from you
>>
>>64636223
Manhunter > Silence of the Lambs > Hannibal Rising > Dogshit > Red Dragon > Hannibal series
>>
>>64636223
Red Dragon, sadly

Mahunter was just dated shit
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.