[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Empire Strikes back has the best ending of the OT and maybe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
Empire Strikes back has the best ending of the OT and maybe the PT . The music and the feeling of despair and loss but knowing there's a light of hope, makes everything okay...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KESpT_DHKyM [Embed]

Though I really wish they didn't shoehorn the credits theme in like that. you can tell it was forced and williams said "fuck I need to get up 2 keys in 10 seconds"
>>
>>64634899
>Empire Strikes back has the best ending of the OT and maybe the PT
I thought this wasn't even debatable desu
>>
>>64634899
I like the subtly ominous atmosphere in TPM, but this one is probably the best. It's cool how they're actually outside the galaxy.
>>
>>64634899
>you can tell it was forced and williams said "fuck I need to get up 2 keys in 10 seconds"

No you fucking retard, if he didn't want the modulation there he would've just transposed the theme, or written the first part in the same key. Modulation is something true composers don't even have to think about to use, it's not hard to do, and you use it intuitively the same way you use a typical cadence. It's there because that's how it came out of him.
>>
>>64635163
>transposed the credits theme

Lucas would never let that happen.
>>
>>64634899
worst part though is Lando saying "when we find Han and that bounty hunter" like they all know he's going to Jabba, what's to find?
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 600x1066) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 600x1066
>>64634899
Then music needed to speed up at the end because it's the slowest Star Wars entry. It reminded you of the higher stakes involved at the end.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
>Heinrich Schiitz died in 1672, Carissimi in 1674, and Purcell in 1695 - the last great masters of the Cantata, who had played around image-themes with infinite variety of vocal and instrumental colour and had painted veritable pictures of fine landscape and grand legend-scene. With Lully (1687) the heart of the heroic Baroque opera of Monteverde ceased to beat. It was the same with the old •.classical" sonata for orchestra, organ and string
trio, which was a development of image-themes in the fugal style. There- after, the forms become those of final maturity, the concerto grosso, the suite, and the three-part sonata for solo instruments. Music frees itself from the relics of bodiliness inherent in the human voice and becomes absolute. The theme is no longer an image but a pregnant function, existent only in and by its own evolution, for the fugal style as Bach practised it can only be regarded as a ceaseless process of differentiation and integration.

Spengler, 'Decline...'
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 541x559
My second favourite Star Wars piece by Williams, first being the End Credits to RoTS
>>
>>64636092
Yub Nub?
>>
>>64636260
RoTS- Revenge of the Sith
>>
>>64634899
Nice despecialized edition OP
>>
>>64634899
If they're inside the galaxy, then how the fuck are they looking at the galaxy?
>>
Return of the Jedi with victory celebration instead of yub nub is the GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04E2GEJG8

>Empire has been dealt a serious defeat
>Anakin redeemed himself and became a jedi once again
>Everyone is safe and happy
>Cozy as fuck setting and music

Seriously, only edit Lucas did that is 100% positive
>>
>>64636786
In particular how Williams slides the force theme in there for extra comfort
>>
>>64636786
This. I tried to like Yubby but it's not a good finale song. The edit song was GOAT
>>
>>64634899
ESB is my favorite by far of the original trilogy but my favorite ending was the original Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6a1iYQ0GA

* 00:18 The awards ceremony with the columns of light, swiped from Leni Riefenstahl.
* The awesome music during that scene.
* 01:40 And finally, when all of the main characters face the audience to receive their applause, the music transitions beautifully to the main Star Wars theme while the credits start showing.

Even from a story perspective, as far as endings, I like ANH better because it's a complete story. ESB doesn't tie up loose ends.

Again, I think the overall story and film of ESB is stronger than ANH. But if we're only talking about endings, ANH is just flawless.
>>
>>64635871
Hope this isn't 'muh baroque: the post'
>>
>>64635541
Who else wants Han besides Jaba?
Han keeps saying "I have to go to pay to jaba" the entire movie.
>>
>>64635541
>>64637272

I was under the impression Jabba was a traveling slug. What are the odds Jabba was on Tatooine the entire time and Luke never know? Lando had to track him down and see when he would be on the move again
>>
Did anyone else really love the ending theme in TFA? It was probably the most solid out of the entire soundtrack with Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance closely behind.
>>
>>64635541
Intercept him before he gets to Jabba obviously
>>
>>64635541
...nobody knew who jabba the hutt was, what he looked like or where he lived in 1980 you knucklehead.

except lucas...who thought he was a fat guy wearing a bunch of furs.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>64637259
>not listening to the classics while you post
You jelly?

https://youtu.be/L213nRju-hg
>>
>>64637575
I kinda felt that TFA had a relatively mediocre soundtrack, for some reason. Maybe I was focusing a bit too hard on the story, cinematography and everything else to truly notice the music, but I don't know.

But overall, I just don't feel that there was any new, truly great theme. Nothing that quite compares with Darth Vader's theme, Duel of the Fates, Leia's theme, etc.
>>
>>64638428
I really liked the music (especially ren's. rey's was nice too) while watching the movie but then I was noticing it so maybe that's a mark against it.
>>
>>64638619
>>64638428
I didn't really get to enjoy the music until my second watch.
It's not bold, and I feel like that's the point. The soundtrack has a curious feeling to it. It's good as introductory material to the franchise.
>>
>>64638324
Baroque is fine but elitism is stupid.
>>
>>64636786
0:15
Trolololo guy
>>
>>64639310
>lucas secretly trolled eveyone 20 years ago
>>
>>64637174
Except Chewbacca getting snubbed for a medal.
>>
>>64639232
Elitism?
>>
>>64634899
I really love 'Empire' it's a classic along side the original but I'm really getting tired of it getting positioned 'best' here at /tv/ Enough.
>>
>>64640111
Whats the best chuck?
>>
>ESB closing shot goes on a bit too long
>it works
>TFA closing shot goes on a bit too long
>its awful
I cant even explain JJs hackyness
>>
>>64640124
it just might be the one that picked up ten Oscar nominations.
>>
>>64638428
I thought that as well but in retrospect I don't think the movie really demanded such grand music, it was fine as it is if you don't keep comparing it to the other films
>>
File: PX6T4.jpg (101 KB, 1247x509) Image search: [Google]
PX6T4.jpg
101 KB, 1247x509
RotS ending is a light in the darkness that is the prequel trilogy. Almost as good as the one in Empire. I think it's the reason why Lucas wanted to make the films in the first place.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 620x349
http://youtu.be/L7r6bK8RJUg
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 800x450
http://youtu.be/Nxr9U5aPlxM
>>
>>64639993
Wookies don't like medals.
>>
File: ROTJ-ending.jpg (234 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
ROTJ-ending.jpg
234 KB, 1920x816
>>64636786
>tfw the well deserved comfy ending of ROTJ is completely shit on by TFA
>nobody in this picture managed to avoid getting fucked over
>Han has a child with Leia who ruins everything, and regresses in the character development established in the OT, dying pointlessly.
>Chewie loses his other half, Leia won't even give him a hug, and he doesn't even get to captain the Falcon since Rey inserted herself
>Leia leads an ineffective resistance with like 12 people in it for 30 years, and went senile, making Han promise to confront their son who has been evil for years, sentencing him to death
>Luke fails at being a Jedi and only ends up training a sith. He then runs away and abandons all of his friends and responsibilities for years, indirectly leading to Han's death
>R2 has been replaced, nobody even cared enough about him to try to wake him up

I really wish they set this shit like 100 years after ROTJ instead of 30 or something, and didn't shit all over the original cast.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.