[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Joy unironically the best film of the year? The revenant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
Is Joy unironically the best film of the year?

The revenant was shit, sicario was alright , anomalisa was trash, creed was good, mad max was great, the hateful eight was okay

I know it's hard for you memers to have your own opinion, but this is the truth

How is Carol, The Big Short, etc.?

Joy just looked like background generic crap until I actually watched it, is the big short the same or is it legitimately a turd?
>>
>>64633233
Carol is best of the year in my opinion. /tv/ plebs don't understand who Todd Haynes is though and will trash it
>>
>>64633233
Just stop with this meme. It's never gonna catch on.
>>
>>64633299
>don't understand who Todd Haynes is though
>>
>>64633421
What meme?

This is the first time I've posted a thread in over a year, not my fault you have stagnant shit taste
>>
I really really liked Joy, I've seen it twice, but both times I thought the first 30 minutes was a bit of a mess. It only kicks in when Joy starts the company.
>>
I can't watch her after seeing her butthole
>>
DAVID O RUSSEL REHASHED THE SAME MOVIE THREE TIMES IN A ROW NOW

WILL THIS HACK DO SOMETHING WORTH A SHIT OR WILL IT BE THIS SAME MOVIE EVERY OTHER YEAR TILL HE DIES

ALSO JLAW IS ANNOYING, THIS MOVIE FLOPPED BECAUSE IT WAS THE JLAW SHOW AND PEOPLE ARE DONE WITH HER

QUITE SIMPLY: ITS OVER JLAW IS FINISHED :^)
>>
>>64633299
Carol is definitely MOTY. Although The Duke of Burgundy is kind of on its lesbian art film corner.

>>64633233
I question your critical faculties if you liked Joy at all. The Big Short is a failed mashup of Moneyball/The Wolf of Wall Street/A video essay about the financial crisis. Also unwatchable in my opinion.
>>
>>64634394
Why didn't you like Joy?

I thought it was a refreshing capitalistic movie, I usually hate JLaw but she gave a pretty good performance, if you can block out the memes

It had a nice capitalistic spirit is what I mean, and is refreshing in that most movies don't portray it in an honest sense, inspiring entrepreneurally with the maker/builder spirit being the driving force for Joy, and for not villainizing her for wanting to live in a nice house with nice things

A bit cheesy yeah, with stuff like Joy walking off near the end like a badass, yeahhhh, it's not perfect, but it's better than everything else I listed
Unless you talk about some of the more technical aspects of film
>>
>>64633233
You gotta be fucking me right in the boypussy
>>
Joy was the film of 2015, no competition at all. David O Russell is the ultimate pleb filter.
>>
>>64633233
Joy was such a poorly developed movie.
So many times I was taken out of the film because of the exposition and abysmal editing.

Also Jlaw is shit
>>
File: Fs9b8.jpg (146 KB, 1280x824) Image search: [Google]
Fs9b8.jpg
146 KB, 1280x824
>>64633233
It's about a fucking mop.

I can imagine hollywood executives sitting at a table, theory crafting what kind of movie they need to invest 50 million dollars in and then it comes to them out of all of the original sci-fi and romance scripts they could choose from they pick to fund a movie about a woman that makes a fucking mop.
>>
>>64633421
>>64634233
>>64634258
>>64634394
>>64634839
>>64634873
>>64635009

Hello reddit!
>>
>>64635042

what does that mean?
>>
>>64633233
anyone who likes david o russel unironically is a pure pleb and should be shot in sake of cinema.
>>
>>64635067
Not edgy enough for you?
>>
>>64634790
I actually think a movie about the miracle mop is a good idea, but this is the most hacky version of it.

Her entire family being borderline retarded dead weight, the really reductive arc of the QVC portion, Joy 'winning' with that deus ex machina at the end. The whole thing was just not interesting. DOR needs to learn that material can't be saved just by setting it to classic rock in montage.

Other issues: sleepwalking performances from the David O'Russel players, Joy's stock-villain sister, the cringey desperation haircut, Chekov's wine, the go-nowhere soap opera stuff, and worst of all, the scene where Joy's exploitation of illegal aliens plays as some kind of capitalist #disruption.

All in all, a pretty lifeless, uninteresting, unnuanced examination of business. I preferred Steve Jobs.
>>
>>64635067
holy shit this

cant believe this thread lasted so long without anyone saying it. he's an awful director who focuses on making the most generic movies possible. he's as close to a perfect example of why hollywood films are so fucking awful today, everybody just makes the same rehashed shit nowadays.

the only good movie he made was three kings (on an entertainment level) and it was from a script he stole and called his own.
>>
>>64635067
Amen.

Based cloondog beat him up on the set of Three Kings, so at least there's that.
>>
>>64635067
When you get out of your 20s you'll understand
>>
>>64635276
The fighter was good.
>>
>>64633299
Holy shit, Todd Haynes directed Carol?
>>
>>64635246
The dead weight family was a big point I think, speaks truth to some. Being told by her Grandma the things she was capable of despite her indifferent was a nice demonstration of leaving the cyclical nature of complacency
The montages are kinda meh, yeah

I think the intruding sister was good because of her summation that anybody can do it, but her own actions would have destroyed the company. A more cut throat attitude being necessary "would you shoot your competition?"
It shows some of the harsh nature of capitalism unapologetically, whereas Steve Jobs probably shows Jobs as some sort of unlikeable douche with issues in a more pessimistic sense (haven't seen yet, not that this is exactly a bad thing, but this is a much more tired trope of Oscar bait, the social network, whiplash, foxcatcher whatever other Jew propaganda)

With all the liberal movies cynically showing us nothing but "bad" people, I think this is something more positive and relatable

Not some fallacious "intelligent dialogue" pseudomovie, haven't seen jobs though so I may be wrong
>>
>>64636230
Your take is incoherent.

Random /pol/-tier nonsense and criticizing a movie you haven't seen doesn't help.
>>
File: 44.jpg (49 KB, 385x405) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
49 KB, 385x405
how could someone even think this

Joy was a fucking trainwreck, just like every other David O Russell film since Three Kings

let it go
>>
File: 1426617744079.jpg (56 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1426617744079.jpg
56 KB, 342x342
>david o russell
>jennifer lawrence
>oscar bait
>>
>>64638079
incoherent yeah

random /pol/-tier nonsense? na
>>
>>64638474
>'Jew propaganda'
>normal discourse

choose one, slick
>>
>>64638665
okay fine "Liberal propaganda"
better?
>>
you should see Room
>>
>>64633233
I couldn't watch past the black plumber cuckery
>>
>>64635361
Get outta here! Really?
>>
>>64640012

[on working with David O. Russell on Three Kings (1999)] He'd throw off his headset and scream, "Today the sound department fucked me!" For me, it came to a head a couple of times. Once, he went after a camera-car driver who I knew from high school. I had nothing to do with his getting his job, but David began yelling and screaming at him and embarrassing him in front of everybody. I told him, "You can yell and scream and even fire him, but what you can't do is humiliate him in front of people. Not on my set, if I have any say about it". Another time, he screamed at the script supervisor and made her cry. I wrote him a letter and said, "Look, I don't know why you do this. You've written a brilliant script, and I think you're a good director. Let's not have a set like this. I don't like it and I don't work well like this". I'm not one of those actors who likes things in disarray. He read the letter and we started all over again.
>>
>>64640012
>>64640514
But later, we were three weeks behind schedule, which puts some pressure on you, and he was in a bad mood. These army kids, who were working as extras, were supposed to tackle us. There were three helicopters in the air and 300 extras on the set. It was a tense time, and a little dangerous, too. David wanted one of the extras to grab me and throw me down. This kid was a little nervous about it, and David walked up to him and grabbed him. He pushed him onto the ground. He kicked him and screamed, "Do you want to be in this fucking movie? Then throw him to the fucking ground!" The second assistant director came up and said, "You don't do that, David. You want them to do something, you tell me". David grabbed his walkie-talkie and threw it on the ground. He screamed, "Shut the fuck up! Fuck you", and the AD goes, "Fuck you! I quit". He walked off. It was a dangerous time. I'd sent him this letter. I was trying to make things work, so I went over and put my arm around him. I said, "David, it's a big day. But you can't shove, push or humiliate people who aren't allowed to defend themselves". He turned on me and said, "Why don't you just worry about your fucked-up act? You're being a dick. You want to hit me? You want to hit me? Come on, pussy, hit me". I'm looking at him like he's out of his mind. Then, he started banging me on the head with his head. He goes, "Hit me, you pussy. Hit me". Then, he got me by the throat and I went nuts. Waldo, my buddy, one of the boys, grabbed me by the waist to get me to let go of him. I had him by the throat. I was going to kill him. Kill him. Finally, he apologized, but I walked away. By then, the Warner Bros. guys were freaking out. David sort of pouted through the rest of the shoot and we finished the movie, but it was truly, without exception, the worst experience of my life.
>>
>>64633233
>I know it's hard for you memers to have your own opinion, but this is the truth
>The truth is in fact MY opinion
I liked Joy but holy shit, you sanctimonious twat, kill yourself.
>>
>>64635067
Spanking the Monkey to I Heart Huckabees is a better run than most directors can every hope for.
>>
>>64633233
>mad max was great
Confirmed for shit taste. Mad Max was literally tumblr the movie, and had no content to speak of besides Billy Corgan wannabes shooting silver food spray into their cake holes. Boring as fuck.

Carol was ok for a lesbian movie. The Big Short looks like shit. Joy had good trailers but I heard it sucks donkey dick.
>>
Fuck this movie.

Steve Jobs was superior 2015 middlebrow hagiography corporate propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZo_wFBlP-s
>>
>>64633233
oooooooh shit
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.