[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly did the Dent Act do and how did it virtually eliminate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: Dent.jpg (121 KB, 648x488) Image search: [Google]
Dent.jpg
121 KB, 648x488
What exactly did the Dent Act do and how did it virtually eliminate crime in Gotham in 8 years and basically make Batman useless?
If passing laws was all it took to stop crime, we'd have won the War on Drugs by now.
>>
I haven't watched it in a while but didn't it allow the police and the courts to completely violate suspects' constitutional laws if they were suspected of being a part of organised crime?

It's still a big reach but at least makes some sense
>>
it made crime illegal
>>
No lawyer, no witnesses? What kind of due process is this?
>>
>>64631911
there wasn't a dent in his reputation
>>
Didn't he drop acid?
>>
>>64631975
>didn't it allow the police and the courts to completely violate suspects' constitutional laws if they were suspected of being a part of organised crime?
That's impossible. The Dent Act was a local law, not even a state law, that means it can't deny constitutional rights. The federal government wouldn't take kindly to cities suddenly ignoring parts of the constitution when they feel like it since it would set a dangerous precedent. The Supreme Court would have declared it unconstitutional in less than a year by a rare 9-0 decision.
>>
File: bearcia.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bearcia.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
He appointed CIA.

That's why the crime started again and Batman came back, when CIA had died.
>>
File: 1424715715486.jpg (37 KB, 245x353) Image search: [Google]
1424715715486.jpg
37 KB, 245x353
>>64632129
It's bullshit that a comic book universe would have crazy laws like this.
>>
>>64632129
It's a comic book you nerd
>>
File: 1449715290141.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449715290141.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>64632129
Yeah except it's capeshit from Nolan and not real life so that's a moot point, expecting it to be realistic and putting Nolan in charge of knowing criminal law is a fool's errand.

The way I interpreted it was them calling the real life RICO Act the Dent Act and used it to make it look like Dent had some sort of lasting legacy in Gotham.
>>
I think the Dent Act was a beefier RICO act which removed statutes of limitation, increased sentence length and had more provisions for charging accomplices/people who technically had their hands clean but were totally involved.
>>
>The law, in part, allowed for gender separation in prisons to cease as well as create stricter penalties. Its main feature denied parole to the men Dent's prosecution locked up. Thus, all the 549 mobsters Dent locked up would be off the streets for good, along with any criminal that tries to restart the organized crime machine.
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Dent_Act

tl;dr
because comic books
the ''realism'' of Nolan's trilogy is just watered down comic books concepts, not literally realer than real
>>
>>64632706
>gender seperation in prisons to cease

What.
>>
>>64631911
>The legislation... will bolster the city's campaign against organized crime. One of the main features of the Act is the creation of stricter penalties, including the denial of parole, for those who commit any crime deemed as a part or function of a larger criminal enterprise. This will close the loophole that existed in the previous laws that hampered the city's ability to stamp out organized crime.

I don't see how elimiting parole would do anything to stop crime. It can take many years to get a chance of parole, and someone involved in organized crime would be unlikely to get a good evaluation from the board.
Stricter penalties wouldn't really mean much either, since most of the penalties associated with organized crime are high to begin with.
Also, I don't think Nolan knows what a loophole is, because parole isn't a loophole.
>>
>>64632706
>The law, in part, allowed for gender separation in prisons to cease

So wait, women and men would be housed in the same blocks? I get that there are female villains like Poison Ivy and Harley, but that sounds like it'd be a recipe for increasing rape by at least a billion times.
>>
>>64632706
>allowed for gender separation in prisons to cease
What the fuck? Why? Why would anyone think this is a good idea? How does this help stop organized crime?
All you're doing is giving rapists in prison someone they can rape.
>>
>>64632294
he was a big guy for us =[
>>
File: The Master.png (217 KB, 1000x1503) Image search: [Google]
The Master.png
217 KB, 1000x1503
Don't question me.
>>
>>64632129
It's Gotham, fucking anything goes.
>>
>>64632800
>>64632773
>>64632744
That will sure as hell stop all women from doing crime so statistically that's already a 50% drop in crime
>>
>>64632706
>allowed for gender separation in prisons to cease
All this because Nolan wanted an excuse to put Catwoman in Blackgate for no reason?
>>
>>64631911
Basically Nuremberg Laws
>>
>>64632814
FORGET IT JAKE
>>
It was Nolan's way of letting you know the paths America is on. A future where we've given up our freedom for safety.

Quite a bold statement by Nolan. The man had balls taking on the left as he did in tdkr.

I'm assuming Batman helped police in giving who was who and things like that. Imagine the patriot act on steriods and arkham is guantanomo
>>
>>64632129
>America
>caring about Gotham
Why you think that city went to hell. No one cared about Gotham
>>
>>64633397
Which is weird given how rich they are
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.