[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if the Star Wars prequels were actually good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: sw.png (212 KB, 634x355) Image search: [Google]
sw.png
212 KB, 634x355
>What if the star wars prequels were good?

Thoughts on these? Are his ideas good or just reddit? Why is his delivery so grating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKqH6vlGHU
>>
>implying they are not already good
>>
Thing is that prequels created the universe.
>>
>you will never stop seeing this faggot in your sidebar

Almost as bad as "Racist Mario."
>>
>>64614352

His ideas are worse than what we actually got, especially Revenge of the Sith.

In fact, a lot of the story and plot elements he steals from the actual movies anyway. Waste a time if you ask me.
>>
>>64614352

>The prequels were bad

You need to go back.
>>
>>64614352
This was a Tumblr-tier shitty fanfiction that sidelined Dooku in favor of fucking Owen Lars
>>
>>64614352
What if? Who gives a shit
>>
>>64614434
This anon fucking gets it
>>
>>64614504
To be fair, Dooku was the worst villain in the history of Star Wars.
>>
>>64614591

Pleb
>>
>>64614504
Just finished the TPM one and moving Obi Wan to the forefront is a great idea. He's literally an extra for 95% of the movie while it focuses on Qui Gon who turns out to be quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
>>
>>64614591
He had the potential to be much better than Maul. All Maul had going for him was that he looked like the devil and fought in a cool way, he had no motivations, no dialogue, no growth, nothing. He was the Boba Fett of the PT
>>
>>64614638
So, are these videos literally just a regurgitation of Plinkett's criticisms?
>>
File: obi-wan.jpg (103 KB, 665x814) Image search: [Google]
obi-wan.jpg
103 KB, 665x814
>>64614352
Oh he made a third one.

Eh. He relies too heavily upon the notion that the prequels, as brought to us, could be saved.

I would have scrapped every bit and purely based the prequels on what we knew from the OT about Obi-Wan and Anakin's time together.
>>64614504
I don't recall that but I haven't seen the first two in a while and still haven't seen the third.

But Owen really should have had a bigger part. It's clear he resented Obi-Wan for what happened. If not Anakin's brother, he should have been Padme's brother, but still had known Anakin from before he ran off with Obi-Wan to have adventures and be awesome and ultimately kill everybody.
>>
Like, why even make these videos?
>>
>>64614352
What a bunch of cliches and shitty writing.
>>
>>64614747

Well his concept is that he's a head exec at FOX and he has to rework what the movies already were so that's why he doesn't start from scrap.

He obviously did it for views and you can read millions totally original ideas for the PT so he just amended movies everyone already knew so they'd watch
>>
>>64615129
The ad revenue.
>>
What's with millennials and trying to hide their baby faces behind beards?
>>
His Ep I and II ideas are quite alright, however it all becomes a huge mess at III. The most obvious flaw I see there is that his story does not result in the creation of the Empire. In the prequels, Palpatine is granted emergency powers because everyone is scared of the separatist and need a strong chancellor, in this version, he's just some liaison between the Senate and the Council and later he gives up that role for Anakin and it's Anakin who plans and spearheads the decisive battle, Palpatine had little to do with it. And even if he somehow emerged as a war hero in public consciousness, there is no reason for the Republic to increase his power. There is peace, everything is fine, no one needs an Empire for a safe and more secure society.

Another thing is that it takes a lot away from Palpatine and his schemes. In the prequels, almost everything that happens does so because of his design and eliminating the Jedi was just another step on his way to power. Here, he just gets lucky that Anakin becomes overly emotional and throws all the Jedi to the frontline.

While Obi Wan's and Anakin's characters are handled better than in the prequels, their falling out is retarded. Anakin wants to become a master, Windu says that'll probably never happen, Obi Wan defends Anakin and that turns into Anakin getting mad at Obi Wan.
>>
>>64615726
>Here, he just gets lucky that Anakin becomes overly emotional
But that's exactly what happens in Lucas' version of the movie, too.
>>
>>64614352
hopefully this guy doesn't get into the film industry
>>
File: l6adcBh.png (308 KB, 856x389) Image search: [Google]
l6adcBh.png
308 KB, 856x389
The first one was okay with giving ways to improve upon what we got, but the second one really jumped off the deep end into AU fanfic territory by just making up a completely different story. Didn't bother watching the third because it'll obviously be an extension of said fanfic.
>>
>>64615774
I meant in relation to the Jedi getting exterminated. In the prequels it was always part of the plan, ever since he ordered the Clone Army with Order 66 in place sometime after TPM. In this version, the Jedi would be alive and well but Anakin gets pissed at a comment Windu made. If Windu stays quiet, the Jedi Order would be almost intact, that was pure coincidence. In fact, we see Palpatine relinquish control by letting Anakin take his position, if he stayed, he would've controlled the war effort and thus could send the Jedi to the slaughter, instead he chose to appease Anakin and hoped for a coincidence falling into his favour. Very unsheevlike
>>
>>64614440
Did you watch the video? He litterally says using the ideas that were already presented in the films. that's the point of this video.
>>
>1986
>still liking star wars
lads no
>>
>>64614352
While his ideas to improve The Phantom Menace were pretty good, the rest of the series lost its way. His TPM video felt like he was genuinely working with a rough script provided by George Lucas and crafting it into a good film that still followed the basic plot of what we got in real life - much like a real screenwriter or director would when working with an idea guy (George). The rest of the series eschewed this model to stray completely from the real story presented in the prequels and write fanfic that had nothing to do with the story as we know it, an exercise that is nowhere near as interesting to watch and frankly completely autistic.

Basically what >>64615866 said. He beat me to it.

>>64614426
This notion is often thrown around and really, it has plenty of merit. One of my favourite things about the prequels is the way they explore the lore of the Jedi and elegance of the Republic era. Even the commonly criticized aspects of this lore such as midi-chlorians and the much-maligned Jedi robes have their place when considered in context as ideas that were fashionable during a certain time period and spread by a religious order which, below its surface, was deeply flawed.

It just goes to show that George Lucas really is a fairly good idea guy and, if he had actually had a decent screenwriter and director to convey his storylines and ideas for him, the prequels could have been something great. For better or for worse, Michael from Belatedmedia is definitely not the right person for this job.

>>64614434
I know this feel.
>>
THE GAME'S PLAYING ITSELF JON
>>
All these people defending Lucas.

This guys ideas are way better although not perfect. I don't think in this sense that it broadening on "fan fic" territory is a bad thing like everyone here suggests. It's kinda the point.

I actually like the inclusion of the Owen character. In the PT everyones a fucking jedi or a senator or a princess or someshit. Owen in this is just a normal dude that wants to help. It seems like a genuine fit, Maul as a main antagonist/boba fett type character is way better as well.

Obi Wan and Anikans fallout is easily the weakest point. I get the bringing back up Qui Gon initially wanting to train him and Obi not liking the idea as a means to start separating them but it needs to worsen beyond that point to make sense but it doesn't. So they kind of fight for no reason.There definitely needs to be more of a pull with the dark side of the force from sheev at the end of the 3rd one and not just Anakin's dark thoughts/ unfair life. Like we begin to see that with them not letting him be a jedi master so he'll be a sith master instead but it's not really explored.

All in all tho pretty good.
>>
>>64614352
9/10 just needs to be longer
>>
Want to improve the prequels story? Here's how I'd do it:

>The Phantom Menace stays the same except that Qui Gon Jinn separates from the main group briefly but comes back for the big battle at the end. We don't see what he was up to, he just alludes that it was related to the investigation into the Sith he fought on Tatooine
>In Attack of the Clones, Obi Wan Kenobi finds out that Qui Gonn left to order the Clone Army for the Republic, but was killed by Darth Maul before he could tell Kenobi about the army
>Count Dooku is not a Sith, but like Qui Gon, his padawan, he had sensed Palpatine's presence in the Republic and was taking steps to prevent Palpatine's influence from growing, thus the Separatist movement he spearheaded
>The Trade Federation, join the Separatists because they were manipulated and betrayed by Palpatine
>Jedis don't sense that Dooku's right so fight on the wrong side of the war leading to their ironic destruction
>Revenge of the Sith mostly plays out the same

The only things that would be necessary to change the plot this way would be to do like two new small scenes with Liam Neeson for The Phantom Menace(maybe shoot him as a force ghost for one scene in ROTS as well), overdub the Sifo-Dyas lines on AOTC to say Qui Gon Jinn, cut out Dooku meeting with Palpatine at the end of AOTC.
>>
File: Anakin3.jpg (16 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Anakin3.jpg
16 KB, 400x225
>>64615314
>>64615314
Yeah, and I think that's where he went wrong. Prequels were shit immediately from conception.

Anakin should have been the shadow of Luke. Not a slave who turned whiny brat, but a decent farmboy who sought adventure and just wanted to do good. But where Luke learned from his mistakes and his rash impulses, Anakin would have merely drove himself deeper to the Dark Side. His eagerness should have become ambition, which became a powerlust.

>>64616153
Maul was shit though, he barely did anything except show up, be menacing, and kill Qui-Gon. What we should have had was a younger and better named Dooku, or a more competent Grievous. Or maybe combining them.
>>
>>64614378
>>64614458
Is defending those shit prequels the meme of 2016?
>>
>>64616431
Cant say i agree. All you need is some comments about how maul was a jedi hopeful when he was taken by the dark side due to his over eagerness and how he founded easier to shortcut his way. Having Dooku be a jedi turned to the darkside lessens the impact of anakin's turn, cause then we've already seen that idea before anikan does it. This dudes ideas about Dooku are actually way more interesting.
>>
>>64616342
Dooku's motivations don't make much sense. He wants to prevent Palpatine's influence in the Republic from growing so he forms the Separatist movement to shatter the Republic? That's like amputating your finger because you got a paper cut.

I honestly feel like people focus too much on fixing the story when the true focus should be on fixing the characters, their relations and the dialogue.

The only change I'd make to the story is scrap TPM and replace it with a simple movie about Anakin's (we meet him as a young Jedi, not an annoying kid) and Obi Wan's space adventure that culminates in them discovering that the Sith have returned and give them one overarching Sith villain (preferably Dooku). This sets up Anakin's and Obi Wan's friendship and with Padme and Palpatine in the background we can start developing the love story to make it more believable in AotC and Palpatine's schemes. With better set up, fixed dialogue and better characterisation AotC and RotS would instantly look much better
>>
>plaid shirt

Fucking why do people wear these?
>>
File: MIBees.png (556 KB, 1280x775) Image search: [Google]
MIBees.png
556 KB, 1280x775
>>64616682
Getting into the important discussions I see
>>
>>64616638
>Dooku's motivations don't make much sense. He wants to prevent Palpatine's influence in the Republic from growing so he forms the Separatist movement to shatter the Republic?
The Trade Federation knows Palpatine is the Sith and told Dooku. He has to fight the Republic because Palpatine controls the Republic.

The current plot makes zero sense. Palpatine ordered a clone army to destroy the Jedi but if he hadn't ordered the Clone army the Separatist army would've destroyed all the Jedi in the arena.
>>
>>64616638

This. The story is fine actually. I think lucas did a great job coming up with an interesting story. He just can't direct for shit. He shouldn't have directed the movies
>>
>>64616638
>>64616733
was bout to type out exactly this explanation but this guy gets it
>>
>tfw george asked directors to come on board
>no one did
>>
>>64616733
>Palpatine ordered a clone army to destroy the Jedi but if he hadn't ordered the Clone army the Separatist army would've destroyed all the Jedi in the arena.
And what's next? Destroying the Jedi is a step, not the goal, the goal is the creation of an Empire with Palpatine as an absolute ruler. In your no Clone Army version, the Republic becomes defenceless when the Jedi are exterminated, the war is over before it even starts, the separatists leave the Republic and Palpatine is left as a chancellor of a much weaker state with no perspective of creating his Empire
>>
>>64616826
The fuck. The Jedi litterally only stood in his way. They get eliminated, the republic freaks out, Sheev says don't worry fagts I know what we do and proves his capabilities in taking out the separatists because he also controls them and now he has full power.
>>
>>64614352
You mean if Disney goes back and redoes them?
>>
>>64616826
My version has a clone army, I'm just saying in the current version the clone army makes no sense, since the ultimate goal of the clone army was to destroy the Jedi(as it's programmed into them all along).

In the current movies he has BOTH armies. He creates the Clone army to fight his other army. He could've had the Separatists kill all the Jedi then take over the Republic and make him Emperor. They worked for him.
>>
File: DarthMaul.jpg (55 KB, 952x1024) Image search: [Google]
DarthMaul.jpg
55 KB, 952x1024
>>64616631
>Having Dooku be a jedi turned to the darkside lessens the impact of anakin's turn
Well, that's not exactly what I meant.

What I meant was that he'd be like Dooku in the sense that he's a sort of figurehead/leader of the bad guys. Dooku and Grievous both serve as sort of overseers of their militia.

Who in my treatment would have been the clones themselves, because come on. How the fuck would the JEDI KNIGHTS be okay with breeding living things just to die in battle? They'd probably be uncomfortable enough with actual citizens being enlisted into the militia, but at least then everyone else would treat them as something other than disposable merchandise.

While I like the notion of Maul being trained from youth as a sort of Dark Side acolyte, I don't like his characterization or application in the story. He's just sort of there. He's more of a bounty hunter or assassin than an imposing leader of anything.
>>
>>64616883
Do you not understand something as basic as motivation? He controls the Separatists because he promised them what they want - separation from the Republic, they're not his fucking servants, they're not going to just say "alright, we're ready to go back now" because he tells them to. Even Dooku is convinced until his very death that Sidious wants to help them
>>
>>64614352
They're decent re-writes overall. Better than the prequels we got but not as good as the prequels could have been if Lucas had followed through with his original storyline.
>>
>>64616901
That would've been the other option, though, wouldn't it? He was playing both sides.
>>
>>64616950
He wouldn't say aight ya'll have to die now he would continue misleading them until they were beaten.
Whats that got to do with his motovation? He wants to rule.
>>
>>64616901
He has both armies because he needs both armies. He has to manufacture a war and he needs the Republic to win this war decisively. The Separatists can not succeed for his plan to work, that's why the Clone Army is essential
>>
>>64614352
Great. I really wish to see his version of movies. Of course, he only took original script and addressed common critique, but still.

I especially love switching Naboo for Alderaan, more friendship building between Obi-Wan and Anakin and adding Maul as nemesis for Obi-Wan.
>>
>>64616992
But they lose the incentive to follow his orders once they kill the Jedi and are free to leave the Republic, he has nothing to offer them once that happens.

And if the Clones still exist then what's the harm in safeguarding yourself against the Jedi by having the possibility of exterminating them with your new army?
>>
the point of the separatists was to raise fear and give sheev more power within the system. he strung them by their own dreams for his own goals. how hard is this to understand
>>
His ideas are bad but people eat it up because the prequels are worse. The fact is that if the audience feels like they could fix your movie, your movie probably can't be fixed. A good writer should keep the screenplay a few steps ahead of the general audience at all times.
>>
File: 1432956962913.webm (1 MB, 624x576) Image search: [Google]
1432956962913.webm
1 MB, 624x576
>>64614352
What if he didn't jump cut every 7 seconds?
>>
>>64616998
Well, that's what happens in the movie, but I disagree that he *needs* both. The only thing standing in his way were the Jedi, everyone else he can bribe or kill or force suggest into agreeing.
>>
>>64616960
>>64616992
That's what was good about BM's ideas:
Dooku was clearly showhorned in to a void left by Jar Jar when Jar Jar was demoted from being the main antagonist, and he (BM) circumnavigates that dilemma by having Darth Maul remain the main antagonist for the bulk of the prequels instead, leaving Dooku as the side character he was presumably supposed to have been the whole time.
>>
>>64617030
>>64617031
This. If they eliminate them, they don't achieve anything other than become enemy number one.
>>
I like how he says the prequels suck but he pretty much keeps the same premise that lucas spent years developing, and tweaked a few things. If lucas made his tweaked film, some other plaid wearing manchild will dissect it and come up with his own autistic version. Nothing is ever going to be perfect and lucas did a decent job with the plot he just failed at direction.
>>
Anakins turn is still retarded sudden. Hell, it might be even too sudden is his version. I'm supposed to infer that the chip on his shoulder from being a slave was enough to make him evil? How do I even know that's his motivation.

Some of his ideas are fine. They're all better than the prequels. But the hubris of the title of these videos continues to annoy me. Like what has he ever written? Pretty pretentious to call your own writing good. But I guess it's a click bait title.
>>
>>64617047
So, the only thing standing in his way are the Jedi. So he promises Separatists freedom from the Republic, they form an army, they kill the Jedi and they get their freedom. Now he has no way of controlling the Separatists, they have what they wanted and they have an army while Palpatine does not. He can't take them on by himself, he needs to have an army himself. Without the Clone Army the Separatists succeed and that can not happen for his plan to work. The presence of the Clone Army and the Droid Army is absolutely essential for his plan to work.

Palpatine needs that carrot on a stick to control the Separatists and the moment Separatists win they get the carrot. So he has to drag the conflict out until he's ready to assume full power and then he just abandons the Separatists. He can not drag the conflict out without a Clone Army
>>
George really just needed another writer to bounce ideas off of. The Phantom Menace isn't a bad space adventure movie at all. The problem was that Lucas had 100% control over every aspect of the movie and the narrative suffered. I think writing a script by yourself with production underway is sure to be pretty damn hard
>>
>>64617109
Well i mean he says he's intentionally keeping the premises similar as he is refining Gorge's vision but yeah I agree. It's so cringey at the start where he claims his vision is really really good and its only good throughout/not that great in places. But like you said, clickbait for views. Which i suppose i understand, the title "I rewrote star wars!" wouldn't get as many views
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.