[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What percentage do you give the Universal Monster shared universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
What percentage do you give the Universal Monster shared universe of being a big hit?
>>
1% at best. There's way too much working against such an idea.
>>
>>64607488
I thought they were already rethinking it after Dracula Untold.
>>
It worked before for low budget crap but for major studio films its fucked
>>
In recent years they did Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman movies that all bombed

The lasting appeal of the Universal movies is because they're old. They're lame and hokey and not scary but have great ideas and that makes them last over the decades. Frankenstein and The Invisible Man aren't scary or cool no matter how hard they try
>>
>>64607488
Would have worked out better if they stuck to their roots instead of doing generic capeshit rip-off.
Seriously, what's the point in directly competing with Marvel and DC?
>>
File: scouts honor.jpg (24 KB, 550x336) Image search: [Google]
scouts honor.jpg
24 KB, 550x336
It would be an eye sore like Van Helsing. Practical effects are the heart of horror films. You can't live without your heart.
>>
File: 543778.jpg (30 KB, 383x550) Image search: [Google]
543778.jpg
30 KB, 383x550
>We don’t have any capes [in our film library]. But what we do have is an incredible legacy and history with the monster characters. We’ve tried over the years to make monster movies — unsuccessfully, actually. So, we took a good, hard look at it, and we settled upon an idea, which is to take it out of the horror genre, put it more in the action-adventure genre and make it present day, bringing these incredibly rich and complex characters into present day and reimagine them and reintroduce them to a contemporary audience.
>>
>>64608099
Frankenstein is great, but it's been ruined for modern day palates by zombie virus shit like 28 Days Later. The stories have been done. They're beating a dead horse at this point. Originality does not exist.
>>
>>64608233
Sounds like a terrible idea.
>>
>>64608279
Oh I'm not saying they're bad movies, but the fact that they were made in the 30s-40s and are so "outdated" is a huge part of the appeal. Redoing them as modern action-adventure-horror movies goes against why Frankenstein is so enduring
>>
>>64608233
Seriously this is the opposite of what they should be doing. They should be making old school, black and white, true to their form remakes of these characters. I would watch that shit.
>>
>>64608342
Well, you're right there. They even began to fall apart when Universal was milking them with constant sequels.

I think the right person could come up with a fair modern day take on Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, or Creature from the Black Lagoon, though. Everything else has been done as well as we'll see it. There are endless possibilities with vampires. The Creature character is underrated, and there are a ton of directions you could go with the Phantom. The problem is that it would be for a niche market. There wouldn't be much money in any of them. It's a risk that studios don't take anymore.
>>
>>64608420

Being original / creative takes balls. it's much easier to just copy a success and pass the blame when it massively tanks
>>
>>64607488
MAKE
MONSTERS
GREAT
AGAIN
>>
File: hm.jpg (202 KB, 1600x1572) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
202 KB, 1600x1572
>>64608233
>>We don’t have any capes [in our film library]
excuse me universal wtf ru talking about
>>
Why don't they just do something like Monster Squad or the Goosebump movie? Turn it into kiddie shit, that should be easy enough and it would probably make more than a serious Dracula and friends super slick action movie.
>>
>>64607488

When they end up with the inevitable Avengers style team up movie if it isn't called The Monster Mash I'm going to burn their whole studio down.
>>
>>64610573
Monster Squad wouldn't be made today. Too triggering. It's a movie starring kids that was for kids and adults. That kind of movie doesn't exist today. The parents aren't mature enough.
>>
>>64610296
>I don't drink.....wine ;););)
>>
>>64610599

I'll join you in burning it down.
>>
File: 326.jpg (30 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
326.jpg
30 KB, 500x322
>>64611294

Got me just because
>>
Can we be honest for a second and admit that all of these monsters are fucking stupid?

Yeah OK some corporation has some dusty IP they control and want to make the most of it and everyone knows about it but still, this shit sucks. Dracula sucks. Frankenstein's monster sucks. The mummy sucks. It's all stupid garbage.
>>
>>64613467
The Wolf Man was great. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man was great. The Del Toro Wolf Man was shit. The original Dracula movies were trash, but there have been decent Dracula movies. The Universal Frankenstein movies were enjoyable but that character died in the 30's. Hasn't been a decent Frankenstein based movie since. Frankenhooker was dope, though. The Mummy is probably the worst out of all of them.
>>
>>64613652

Too bad this is going to be based on that new shitty Dracula Untold movie.
>>
>>64613467
Hey, reddit!
>>
>Tom Cruise leading it

Its gonna be great famu
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.