[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prequels appreciation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: Yfw le cgi is a myth.jpg (89 KB, 635x428) Image search: [Google]
Yfw le cgi is a myth.jpg
89 KB, 635x428
Reminder that disliking the prequels is literally only done because "omg they were so bad! Jar Jar!! xDD".

>Try and prove they are shit movies without using Jar Jar, muh CGI, or "sand is so coarse!"
>You can't

Lucas tried to flesh out the universe and actually put shit to film that hadn't yet been done in that scale. He might not be the best director, but at least you knew what the fuck was going on in the prequels. And before somebody posts the webm/jpg of him sitting infront of a green screen, please see pic related. The majority of the sets were practical with CGI enhancements.

>They clearly explain what the Republic is
>Clearly explain what role the Jedi have and their numbers
>Clearly explain layout of the galaxy, and where the power lies
>Clearly shows who the enemy is, why they are the enemy, and has varied bad guys like Maul, Grievous and Dooku
>Actually show and give personality to aliens, and do't just focus on muh stronk female and black lead because PROGRESS
>Coruscant is literally the most impressive thing ever put to film. Rewatch the prequels and look at just how much effort they actually put into it, from the panning shots, locations, and the street chase
>TFA shows their version of Coruscant for literally 8 seconds until it is destroyed. That's some impressive lack of world building right there!

TLDR: the prequels can be appreciated as their own movies, while to understand even the most minute details of TFA you have to delve into comics and novels to even be explained what the First Order or New Republic even is, and how strong they are.
>>
>/tv/ is so contrarian that they now legitimately defend the prequels

poetry
>>
>>64605320
Nice try reddit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD-6B1S3qA
>>
>>64605369
it's like if you leave your girlfriend because all your pleb friends told you she was bad for you. Then you get a pretty new gf, but you realise she's a boring normie with no personality, you want your old gf back, with all her goofy flaws.
>>
>implying jarjar and pod racing wasn't cool as fuck when you were growing up
>>
>>64605466
>/tv/ contrarions
>having gfs

May need another comparison there.
>>
File: metropolis.jpg (383 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
metropolis.jpg
383 KB, 2000x1500
>>64605320
>Coruscant is literally the most impressive thing ever put to film.
It was when Fritz Lang did it almost 90 years ago.
>>
>>64605320
You must be 18 to post on 4chan.
>>
RotS > TPM > TFA > AotC
>>
>>64605541
Just rewatched this the other day
Fucking phenomenal
>>
File: 1447635247601.jpg (74 KB, 700x665) Image search: [Google]
1447635247601.jpg
74 KB, 700x665
OT took inspiration from:
>Campbell's monomyth
>Kurosawa
>Dune
>Flash Gordon
>The Dam Busters

Prequels took inspiration from
>Christianity
>Eastern religions
>fall of the Roman Empire
>Ben-Hur
>Lawrence of Arabia
>the Vietnam War
>Battleship Potemkin
>The Godfather

TFA took inspiration from:
>A New Hope
>A New Hope
>OT
>A New Hope
>>
>>64605705
*Roman Republic
>>
>Hayden Christensen
>Those unbearable scenes with anakin and padme
>That unbearable verbal diarrhea about politics (and, even worse, jedi politics)
>that unnecessarily convoluted plot full of holes (why the fuck did he kill the hitman and not obi wan or anakin DERP)
>dat CGI overuse, and it wasn't even that good
>JAR JAR

the prequels are shit. deal with it. TFA being shit doesn't make the prequels better.
>>
Why do people complain about the CGI?

It was amazing at the time. Blew my goddamn mind at the cinema. Even now, Jar Jar looks great. A whole character made through a computer? Holy shit, it was incredible.

Yes, CGI has improved, but it doesn't mean the films aged badly. Stop motion and puppets improved. Harryhausen's skeletons look like shit to compared to a lot of later stop motion. They're still charming and mindblowing for the time.
>>
What if Episode 1 was written by Lawrence Kasdan and had a competent director...and had a much better casting for Anakin.

I think it could have been great.
>>
File: Muh flawless mary sue.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Muh flawless mary sue.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>64605541
That's nothing compared to Coruscant. It's like comparing the jungle from King Kong to the jungle in Avatar. One of them is some shitty little "ebin set piece!" and the other is a literal planet.
>>
>>64605834
>TFA being shit doesn't make the prequels better.
Don't bother. Shitposters can't comprehend anything unless its ranked in a list, or they can invent some kind of false equivalence.
>>
>>64605951
1/10. Made me reply.

But seriously, stop posting for 2 hours
https://youtu.be/Q0NzALRJifI
>>
File: 1304390271900.jpg (22 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1304390271900.jpg
22 KB, 600x400
I enjoyed shitting on the prequel CGI until I watched The Fellowship Of The Ring last month

Holy fuck, now THERE is some CG that's aged like milk.

>tfw the prequels would've been great films with just a couple roles recast, and a rewrite on a few bits of dialogue
>tfw we'll never get another Star Wars movie that tries to be interesting and try something different

we space capeshit now
>>
>>64605834
>the prequels are shit. deal with it. TFA being shit doesn't make the prequels better.
Prequels are fundamentally flawed movies that have a certain authentic charm to them and seeing a soulless, Marvel like cash grab straight out of Disney's mass production line makes it easier to appreciate that charm
>>
>>64606040
oh shit pretend I posted the right link:
https://youtu.be/E1kxfiY_1DA
>>
>>64605320
It's overexplained and gets boring as fuck, also there was no need to explain what the republic was, in the prequels it's an obvious allegory for a progressive society coming under the yoke of the empire.

thereby killing the mystery that ought to surround the jedi, which is what made them so awesome in the OT in the first place

which doesn't add shit to the understanding of the story.

>Clearly shows who the enemy is, why they are the enemy, and has varied bad guys like Maul, Grievous and Dooku
Yeah, I totally didn't know who the enemy was in the OT, not like they were essentially space nazis OH WAIT

>Actually show and give personality to aliens, and do't just focus on muh stronk female and black lead because PROGRESS
We have the cowardly french stereotype, we have the jew stereotype, we have the ayy lmaos with no personality... so much character depth

>Coruscant is literally the most impressive thing ever put to film. Rewatch the prequels and look at just how much effort they actually put into it, from the panning shots, locations, and the street chase
dis
>>64605541

>TFA shows their version of Coruscant for literally 8 seconds until it is destroyed. That's some impressive lack of world building right there!
I love how the only argument to defend the prequels is that "herp derp it's better than TFA". So if I offer you a plate of shit and one of diarrhea you'll eat shit because it's less gross than diarrhea?

TL;DR prequels are shit, stop trying to make them look better by comparing them to TFA. Get on OT level, or gtfo
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 1156x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 1156x650
https://youtu.be/v0LhC7N3mNI
>>
>>64606064

This. We were spoiled children when it came to Star Wars, and unfortunately now we're getting what we wanted.
>>
>>64606064
>implying the prequels weren't a soulless cash grab targeted at manchildren
my sides
>>
>>64605951
You're not very good at this young padawan.
>>
>>64605320
>The Prequels are good if you ignore their look, writing, direction and characters
Ok
>>
>>64606057
>LOTR CG has aged like milk
bull fucking shit. Gollum has aged a little, and it's the only element that's seriously aged. all other cg looks glorious.
>>
File: 1450687686103.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
1450687686103.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>64606040
>Tfw watched 6 minutes of it and turned it off because of how pretentious it is
>>
>>64606107
>in the prequels it's an obvious allegory for a progressive society coming under the yoke of the empire.
meant to say
>in the OT it's an obvious allegory
>>
File: 1304642712812.jpg (13 KB, 376x270) Image search: [Google]
1304642712812.jpg
13 KB, 376x270
>>64606178
>all other cg looks glorious.

Go watch Fellowship of the Ring right now and remove the nostalgia goggles before you hit play.

CG has come a long long way, these last 15 years
>>
>>64606140
Lucas had genuine vision when creating them, whether that vision was good or bad is largely debatable but you can't deny that he had a clear idea of what he wanted the prequels to be and wasn't afraid to try and introduce new concept to the universe
>>
>>64606249
I didn't even watch it in the cinema back in the day, I saw it many years later so no nostalgia goggles. The CG in fellowship holds up gloriously, give me one example of shitty cg in fellowship
>>
Reminder that disliking the prequels is literally only done because "omg they were so bad! Jar Jar!! xDD".

>Try and prove they are shit movies without using Jar Jar, muh CGI, or "sand is so coarse!"
>You can't

Lucas tried to flesh out the universe and actually put shit to film that hadn't yet been done in that scale. He might not be the best director, but at least you knew what the fuck was going on in the prequels. And before somebody posts the webm/jpg of him sitting infront of a green screen, please see pic related. The majority of the sets were practical with CGI enhancements.

TLDR: the prequels can be appreciated as their own movies, while to understand even the most minute details of TFA you have to delve into comics and novels to even be explained what the First Order or New Republic even is, and how strong they are.

>>d 01/07/16(Thu)18:35:17 No.64605369▶>>64605466 d
>>
LUCAS REDEMPTION 2016
>>
>>64606260
>Do or do no. There is no try.

Lucas did not.
>>
File: harrison-ford.jpg (51 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
harrison-ford.jpg
51 KB, 1000x666
>>64606249
Not even that other guy, and I gotta say you're full of shit. The CGI in Fellowship is done extremely well.

>Nearly 3 hour movie
>Heavy on CGI enhancement and effects
>Probably 4 seconds of shitty looking CGI

Wow, it aged so badly!!!

>If you want to see CGI that really aged like milk, watch Mortal Kombat
>Even Avatar looks shit by today's standards
>>
File: 1450917735729.gif (1 MB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
1450917735729.gif
1 MB, 392x400
>>64605435
holy shit
>>
>>64605320

It wasn't Coruscant, if was some made up planet because Jar Jar Arbams is such a cuck
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 1154x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 1154x616
https://youtu.be/iQgDL1uTfp0
>>
>>64605541
could literally say the same thing about LA in blade runner, or really any futuristic city depicted in film
>>
>>64606341
Yoda's philosophy doesn't always apply to the real world. Lucas tried and mostly failed but Disney did not try at all and gave us a polished turd
>>
>>64606127
>getting what we wanted.
I wanted no more star wars ever again.

When the fuck do I get what I want?
>>
>>64606064
I can relate to this.
>>
>>64606504
as I said, TFA being shit doesn't make the prequels less shit. If TFA is 1/10 and the prequels are 2/10 you'd still be sucking a 2/10 movies dick and that's just pathetic and sad.
>>
>>64606636
I never said prequels are good movies
>>
>>64606249

Fuck you
>>
>>64606636
Alright, at least we can agree that the prequels are better than TFA, fair enough.
>>
>>64605320
>Prequels appreciation thread
There's one on the first page too, OP
>>
>>64605526
I am a girl
>>
>>64605951
>Thinking CG rendered sets are an entire planet
>>
the minature sets were built for the sake of giving the CGI guys reference material from which to do CGI. They never appeared in the film.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.