[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stage / Theatre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: 1450151627.png (588 KB, 737x360) Image search: [Google]
1450151627.png
588 KB, 737x360
Fuck this. If there isn't a theatre board I guess /tv/ is the best place for this. Let's see how this goes.
Let's talk about stage! Are there more than 3 people in the entire board interested?
>>
Is opera discussion allowed in this thread?
>>
>>64604966
More than welcome!
>>
>>64604976

Nice. I'm going to see La Boheme at The Met later this month. Haven't been there in awhile. Not since Der Ring des Nibelungen was performed on The Machine there. Saw the whole cycle. Probably the best experience I ever had at the opera, short of getting flown out to La Scala one year as a surprise birthday present.
>>
>>64604928
>>64604966
>>64604976
>>64605076
Fags, both of you.
>>
>>64605135

Pleb.
>>
>>64605076
I've just recently started getting more into opera. Saw the full Ring recording conducted by Boulez one day before the guy passed away. A real shame. I've been to theatre but never to an opera production.
Have you seen La boheme before?
>>
>>64605220

Never live. Have a cast recording and saw a simulcast, but that's about it. It's a whole different ballgame when you're there live. Like watching a sporting event on TV as opposed to being in the arena. I used to love musicals and such, but lately it just seemed like there's nothing really great out there. Any suggestions on something that might have slipped under my radar?
>>
>>64605135
This.

>>64605145
Objectivley wrong.

Theater is dead, faggots.
>>
>>64605476

Theater perhaps, but opera is thriving, hence why I made the switch over.
>>
>>64604928
lez miz
phantom
sweeney todd

can you make a pleber list?
>>
>>64604928
yes, i went to see phantom in my city, it was me, my wife and a million old people. later a nigger begged me for a hamburger later, he was homeless. i bought one for him
>>
I see a lot of plays. I get Portland Center Stage seaon tickets and I see other shows around the city. I love to act and I've done a lot of longform improv.
I recently saw a production of "Our Town" that floored me. I had only heard of the play in passing but I understand why it's a classic. If you haven't read it, I suggest looking it up.
>>
>>64605327
>Any suggestions on something that might have slipped under my radar?
Well whenever I have to reccomend a musical I usually say something Sondheim, but that's pretty basic and I suppose you've seen most of it if you were into musicals.
There's also the original Phantom of the Opera by Ken Hill, which inspired the more successful Lloyd Webber one. It doesn't have an original score, instead using tracks from famous operas (The Phantom's first big song in the duet from Bizet's Pearl Fishers). Unfortunately there aren't any video recordings I know of, and you'd be lucky to ever see it live, but there's a cast recording.
>>64605529
I tried to get the most recognizeable shows. I'd agree with Les Mis and Phantom but
>Sweeney Todd
>pleb
Todd is fucking GOAT.
>>
>>64605643
>>Sweeney Todd
>>pleb
>Todd is fucking GOAT.
agreed, I actually like the music in that one too. And I kind of like les mis music also. Webber is a hack though :) My miniscule theatre knowledge affords me the justification to make that claim.
>>
>>64605812

Les Mis is great, especially when you consider the history behind it. It's just gotten so big and popular it's cool to hate, which is really par for the course around here.
>>
>>64605812
>>64605643
also my mom took me to see Phantom when i was like 7 or 8 years old. I was pretty into it at the time, wonder where she got the idea. But yeah it was pretty cool. Now I think the melodies are considered cheesy or whatever? I listen to the Sweeney one every now and then, it's good.
>>
If you guys like opera you HAVE TO SEE Le Grand Macabre
http://arthaus-musik.com/dvd/neuerscheinungen/media/details/le_grand_macabre.html
It's entirely atonal, but if you're open to it, Ligeti will take you to a different planet! I don't know if there's a torrent to the production I linked but you should look into it. I found a copy at my local library.
>>
>>64605878

Phantom was my first foray into musical theater as well. Saw it when I was 10. I had actually seen the Lon Chaney movie first, which lead me to the musical.
>>
>>64605812
>Todd is GOAT
>Webber is a hack though
I have to say I'm impressed with your taste. Patrician stuff. I like you already anon.
>>64605877
Les Mis gets better when you read the book and find out every single minor character with one line has 100 pages describing their lives, the lives of their families and friends.
>>64605878
The problem I have with Phantom is that it has like 4 melodies that are repeated for 2 and a half hours.
>>
>>64605909

Holy fucking shit I need this in my life.
>>
>>64605986
>we will never see the 22-reel version of the Chaney film instead of the cut down 10 reel version we have today.
Kill me.
>>
>>64604928
Sondheim-fag reporting in.

thanks for this OP
>>
>>64605909
images look pretty cool on gooble

how do i get into opera? i like classical music, but opera singing turns me off? Do i have to aquire the taste for the sound? I like some of the instrumental parts of opera.
>>
File: 1452105191774.jpg (109 KB, 584x643) Image search: [Google]
1452105191774.jpg
109 KB, 584x643
>>64605909
>that trailer
wtf is this degenerate trash
>>
>>64606043
>>64605999
>>64605812
Sondheim is 4chan and Webber is reddit confirmed.
>>
>>64606067
>i like classical music, but opera singing turns me off?
I used to dislike it too. I listened to it for a while and now I love it. Started liking it because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZS_L6mH1M
>>
>>64606067
Watching it with subtitles is key so you can place what's going on emotionally. Keep in mind that many operas are more interested in writing music that expresses a story instead of making cut-and-dry songs.
>>
>>64605909
dude if you like provocation opera check out Romeo Castellucci. He does theatre, performance art and installation on top of opera so stuff is pretty rare to find, but they're all nuts

This is his idea of Parsifal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-qmhNQeFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boUHkpYcsHw

>>64606119
I don't mind Phantom and some other shows but Sondheim = high art and Webber = long form pop music, basically.
>>
We should petition to add an /art/ - The Arts board. We could discuss theater, opera, artwork, etc.
>>
>>64606267
FUCKING THIS. godammit hiroyuki
>>
>people on 4chan talking about theater
>>
>>64605999
>I have to say I'm impressed with your taste. Patrician stuff. I like you already anon.
thanks m8. My stepdad is musically knowledgeable, he gave me the sweeney cd after I told him i liked the Johnny Depp one. Wow the stage actors are so talented. I really liked most of the songs almost immediately, esp that Johanna theme.
>>
>>64606267

Someone make a threat on /qa/ now. This actually doesn't seem like such a bad idea. If fucking Pokemon and My Little Pony can have their own board, if there can be a board for sports /sp/ doesn't like, we sure as hell could have /art/.
>>
>>64604928
theatre is and always has been faggy shit and flaming garbage
>>
>>64606267
This fucking this lets get this going.
This is happening.
>>
>>64606254
dem titties
That looks cool anon, I'll check it out
>>
I'm making a thread on /qa/. Gimmie a few minutes and I'll link it here.
>>
>>64605643
>Bizet's Pearl Fishers
I was just listening to songs from this! WQXR had the stars in from the latest Met Opera production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WymgC_-gZlg

This Au Fond Du Temple Saint is simply amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMFXVKMF2g
>>
>>64606078
i'm listening to it right now. Kinda getting into it, but i would potentially start laughing when they get to this part
https://youtu.be/6KbMnO-2eFI?t=8m55s

>>64606203
yeah probably if i actually watched it as a story and focused it would be cool.
>>
>>64606483
You are doing gods work anon.
>>
this seems like a open minded thread, did you ever see a ballet? I got free tickets because my friend's gf had them but he didn't want to go, so I went with her. It was the best thing I've ever seen. I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghGmjtxeak
>>
>>>/qa/404466

Haven't cross board linked in awhile. Hope I didn't fuck that up.
>>
I never saw anyone on /tv/ talk about this when it was touring, and now it's not really relevant anymore. How was it, was there Huey Lewis and business cards?
>>
>>64606649
The only ballet I've ever seen was a recording of one based on the hunchback of notre-dame, 'cause i's my favorite book. I loved it, but never have checked any others out. Gonna watch the one you posted.
>>
>>64605327
>I used to love musicals and such, but lately it just seemed like there's nothing really great out there. Any suggestions on something that might have slipped under my radar?
what was the last modern musical you like? I'll try and recommend more recent ones.
>>
>>64606838

I am really going to date myself here, but Spamalot. Yeah, it's been that long. Don't let that be your sole influence, though. I am open to pretty much anything, so long as it's quality and good.
>>
>>64606650

Also, I am regularly going to remake this thread again and again until we get our board. Hirohito can't ignore us forever.
>>
>>64606971
God bless you.
>>
>>64606901
oh then have you heard Something Rotten? it's basically Spamalot 2.0: Shakespeare Edition. super funny and jovial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1em3cNBkH8s

on top of that I would say Fun Home is the most interesting and most devastatingly human musical since Sunday in the Park With George, so definitely give that a listen. It should've won the Pulitzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOsnlygI_ko&index=3&list=PLLH-HTSjnsKNr9x7XdoEqrbmsIpicIrC-
>>
>>64606812
ok tell me if you like it. I think the partner parts are the best.
>>
>>64607091

I had not, but now I'm interested. Gonna have to hunt down a cast recording.

Thank you, OP. I needed a thread like this tonight, and I really hope this idea of /art/ takes off.
>>
Why was the Sweeney movie so shit?
>>
Who /merrily/ here?
>>
>>64608286
But it wasn't, anon. Even Sondheim loved it. Into The Woods on the other hand...

>>64608435
Heres to us. Who's like us?
>>
>>64608511
Damn few.

Thanks pal.
>>
>>64608511
>even Sondheim loved it
He never said anything like that. He said it was "faithful"or something. And I'm sure he said whatever he did only for publicity.
I liked Into the Woods much better.
>>
>>64608286
It somehow managed to suck every little bit of fun out of the story.
>>
>>64608619
Saw the 2012 London revival in a tiny basement and it was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. Went back to that same theatre to see Assassins and it was heaven.

>>64608802
I think he said it was the best adaptation and that it "worked", which is the best endorsement you can get from him. Into The Woods he threw shade on in a recent interview but in the most vague way.

I loved it too but it has its problems. I have an Anna Kendrick bias though...
>>
>>64610451
What shows have you been listening to recently?
>>
>>64610571
I've just watched the original production of Todd with Carious here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISp5sjaSnl0 and I'm converting it to audio so I can listen to it on my phone. I don't even care about the noise in the background, Cariou's performance is way better than on the recording, and the recording cut a lot of the dialogue the songs had in them, so fuck that.
That and the Der Glöckner von Notre-Dame. "Esmeralda" is the most ebin act I finale I've ever heard.
>>
>>64610729
Feelings on the Cerveris/LuPone cast recording? I love its minimalist orchestra and those voices can't be beat.
>>
>>64610821
I love the minimalist orchestra too, but I'm not a big fan of either LuPone or Cerveris in the roles. Cerveris sounds like he's trying too hard to sund booming and powerful and LuPone doesn't feel "vague-headed" like most Lovetts, she feels genuinely evil and she quite honestly annoys me with that.
The rest of the cast is GOAT though. I especially like the Kiss Me quartet.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzUB0Q4h5c
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8FoEguD7E0
>>
>>64611293
Where can I find the full video recording of this.
>>
>>64608511
>>64608619
I managed to catch the London Revival in a US movie theater and even without the live aspect it was astonishingly good. Best and favorite musical forever.
>>
>>64611388
hang on anon, the link might still be up
>>
File: 1451090449172.png (2 MB, 1026x1280) Image search: [Google]
1451090449172.png
2 MB, 1026x1280
I cant wait for this masterpiece.
>>
Why are musicals so much more popular than straight plays anymore?
>>
>>64611388
http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/watch/51rcba6j58as2xo/HOND_110814_Act_1.VOB

/watch/fzc2uhv6wyynwlv/HOND_110814_Act_2.VOB

mediafire
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.