[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good 'Nam flicks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: apocalypse-now2.jpg (210 KB, 1200x899) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse-now2.jpg
210 KB, 1200x899
What are some good 'Nam flicks?
>>
all of them
>>
The holy trinity:

>Apocalypse Now
Ethos

>Platoon
Pathos

>Full Metal Jacket
Logos

Fuck Platoon though.
>>
>>64604900
these
Jacob's Ladder
The Deer Hunter if you dont mind being bored for most of the movie

Documentaries:
First Kill
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Vietnam in HD
>>
>>64605072
The Deer Hunter is great but heart-breaking

Jacob's Ladder is just unpleasant
>>
>>64604900
>Fuck Platoon though.
pleb noguns opinion.

apocalypse now is better as a film, i will give you that. full metal jacket is kubrick jackassery and the actual vietnam scenes were shit.

actual soldiers like platoon. because platoon gets to the heart of what war really is like on a personal level. actual combat guys spend almost the whole time in their platoon. a group of about 40 guys. it is the interactions between these guys that define your experience.

but to answer OP, my favorite vietnam flick is thin red line
>>
Does First Blood count? It's an arthouse film that people don't understand
>>
>>64605473

>but to answer OP, my favorite vietnam flick is thin red line

i agree
>>
>>
>>64604862
the first Rambo but only a couple years after you're done with vietnam movies
>>
>>64604862
"Senator's Son"(1976) was pretty good
>>
The Senator's Son
>>
>Apocalypse Now
>Full Metal Jacket
>The Deer Hunter
>First Blood
>We Were Soldiers
>Forrest Gump
>Good Morning Vietnam

Really as long as its not fucking Platoon you're good.
>>
File: Barnes.jpg (34 KB, 385x477) Image search: [Google]
Barnes.jpg
34 KB, 385x477
>>64605473

Barnes makes that movie what it is. Still have a hard time finding someone like that in most war films. Can't explain what I like about him. Maybe it's just the tired, fatigued worn-down soldier that's prepared to do whatever is necessary to end the war being cast in such a role so close to the MC.

Apocalypse Now has Kurz be revealed throughout the whole film but he's really only interacting with the main character directly in a few parts. Maybe it was me reading Heart of Darkness far prior to the film that spoiled so much of it.
>>
>>64605915
We Were Soldiers is not a better movie than Platoon
>>
>>64604862
le It le Ain't le Me le
>>
File: mark.jpg (3 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
mark.jpg
3 KB, 299x168
>FUCKIN SHITS
>>
>>64606155
tired meme
>>
File: ;____;.jpg (58 KB, 287x370) Image search: [Google]
;____;.jpg
58 KB, 287x370
>>64605949

>all the times John C McGinley breaks down

All real too, apparently. The stress of filming the movie was getting to him.
>>
>>64606012
Platoon had better acting and cinematography, but it also had an awfully hamfisted political message and pretends that how it portrays Veitnam is how it actually was. It's edgy and as idiotic as The Green Berets was. We Were Soldiers is popcorn, sure, but at least its entertaining.
>>
>>64606012
It is a better Nam movie however.
>>
>>64606285
>and pretends that how it portrays Veitnam is how it actually was

...Are you saying the Vietnam War wasn't a shit time for Marines/soldiers in the jungle?
>>
>>64606468
Oh it certainly was. But trying to act like the Vietnam War was soldiers moving into towns, raping and burning everything, then shooting each other is ridiculous.
>>
>>64605473
>but to answer OP, my favorite vietnam flick is thin red line

/tv/ retard
>inbf I was just joking hurr durrr.
>>
>>64605473
but isn't oliver stone a noguns guy

also
>TTRL
>vietnam flick
>>
Missing In Action
Missing In Action II
Missing In Action III
>>
>>64605473
>>64605625
Is this a meme I'm missing or something?

Thin Red Line is a WW2 flick.
>>
File: The Odd Angry Shot.jpg (378 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
The Odd Angry Shot.jpg
378 KB, 800x1200
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.