[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do people in game of thrones tell north from south? i dont
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1000x892) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1000x892
how do people in game of thrones tell north from south? i dont remember anyone mentioning their knowledge of their planet's magnetic field yet they seem so sure that the north is in the north. the land of always winter could very easily be originating from the south pole, no?
>>
>>64601921
No, no
No one is this retarded
this is bait
>>
And how does human civilization survive in temperate areas on a planet where winters last for multiple years at a time?

And how is it possible that the seasons have various and ever-changing lengths in the first place?
>>
who gives a fuck, it's a soap opera for 16 year old boys, anyway
>>
Actually, there is no north/south. It's just another human invention.
>>
>>64602010

its very plausible that it doesnt take place on a planet at all. maybe its on a big space dtation or something
>>
Am I the only one who cant read/watch GoT because that world makes 0 sense from a geological perspective?

Whomever drew that map is fucking retarded.
and dont even get me started on the whole "seasons last for months becouse lol" shit.
>>
>>64602010
How do they not all starve?
>>
>>64601921
>how do people in game of thrones tell north from south?

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here.

They use stars for navigation, like people did on Earth

>>64602010
>And how does human civilization survive in temperate areas on a planet where winters last for multiple years at a time?

They stock huge amounts of food when they know it's coming, send the old out to die, and stay huddled up at home.

>And how is it possible that the seasons have various and ever-changing lengths in the first place?

It's magic!

Either that, or some weird double star system, somebody actually came up with a physical way it could work, it's pretty cool
>>
>>64602141
>Am I the only one who cant read/watch GoT because that world makes 0 sense from a geological perspective?

It REALLY bothers you that much?

Technically they're maps created by the maesters, and Westeros is a technologically stagnant world ruled by religion and superstition. The maps are inaccurate
>>
>>64602141
>world in which magic and dragons exist
>it needs to have the same geological patterns as earth

really?
>>
>>64601983
You'd be surprised. I saw a guy on here that couldn't understand why Santa Claus' workshop would have a wrapping department once.
>>
>>64602141
>Am I the only one who cant read/watch GoT because that world makes 0 sense from a geological perspective
I actually think so. Sorry, Anon. Autism is a bitch.
>>
File: a wizard did it.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
a wizard did it.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
>>64601921
>>64602010
>>64602141
A wizard did it.
>>
>>64602141
yeah, the fun of fantasy is that everything is just like in reality, right
>>
more importantly, why does everyone in westeros speak english? immersion fucking broken
>>
>>64602424
>>64602206
>>64602209
The rectangle shaped continents just look dumb
>>
>>64602141
>because that world makes 0 sense from a geological perspective

It's literally the Balkans and Anatolia
>>
File: 1431567090786.png (965 KB, 720x729) Image search: [Google]
1431567090786.png
965 KB, 720x729
>>64602556
It's just a flipped and slightly edited UK, and Essos is similar to: >>64602576

As I said in other post, they're in universe maps created by sketchy reports and info
>>
>>64602576
neat
never recognized this
>>
File: ImQtfDY.jpg (208 KB, 1205x1220) Image search: [Google]
ImQtfDY.jpg
208 KB, 1205x1220
>>64602576
I thought it's Britain and upside down Ireland.
>>
>>64601921
from the stars you fucking muggle,

or maybe the fucking sun?it rises in the fucking east you fucking nigger and sets in the west

kill yourself
>>
Why would humans even exist in another world?
>>
>>64602897
They're Andals
>>
>>64602713

its a good thing any of the westerosi have knowledge of astronomy and have created means to measure their cycles. oh wait.

>it rises in the east and sets in the west

how do you know the westerosi sun does that? it could just as easily rise in the west and set in the east you know.
>>
>>64601921
in addition to what everybody else said:
geographic and magnetic poles are two completely different things
>>
Because people started drawing maps a certain way, and people came up with the term "north" to signify things towards the top.
>>
>>64602950
>how do you know the westerosi sun does that? it could just as easily rise in the west and set in the east you know.

Quathe's prophecy to Dany says she will be fertile again "when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east", it's meant to mean "never"
>>
>>64602010
GRRM said it's gonna get explained, if he finishes the books. Varying season lengths are due to magic
>>
File: what the fuck is this.png (91 KB, 255x229) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck is this.png
91 KB, 255x229
>>64602141
>seasons last for months becouse lol
Seasons do last for months.
>>
>>64603068

yes i know their orientation is the same as earths but i dont know why or how they know that
>>
>>64603374
>yes i know their orientation is the same as earths

shall i repeat what you previously typed?

>how do you know the westerosi sun does that? it could just as easily rise in the west and set in the east you know.
>>
>>64603374
It's just a convention. Are you autistic?
>>
>>64603374
then you dont know, how we tell that on earth, do you?
>>
Well, they face the sunrise, and then real sudden like turn left.
>>
How do we know that our north is actually north?
>>
>>64604097
It's just the conventional name relative to the magnetic field
>>
how can we know anything if all we "know" is defined by electrical signals interpreted by our brain and very easily manipulated

there is literally no way for you to prove youre a unique individual and not some computer program or cloned intelligence etc. things derive meaning from their context and we dont really know humankind's
>>
>>64604237
>babbys first philosophy lecture
>>
>>64604237
That's too metaphysical for this board
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.