[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost Highway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: mystery man.jpg (27 KB, 1022x436) Image search: [Google]
mystery man.jpg
27 KB, 1022x436
Who is he, /tv/?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig
>>
>>64601288
Fred's ego.

The "lost highway" is the limbo experienced by Fred in jail where he imagines himself as Pete as a form of escapism to cope with his murder of his own wife. The Mystery Man resides at the end of this conceptual "highway" to snap Fred back to reality, where he is no longer Pete, tragic hero who happened upon a life of evil, but Fred, the evil murderer who killed his wife.
>>
>>64601288
> "Would you be willing to shave your eyebrows for this role, Robert"
> "Okay, but shouldn't a barber do it"
>>
>>64601288
I always thought he was "the truth"
>>
>>64602306
what

why
>>
>>64601288
this movie is legitimately one of my all-time favorites, not just of Lynch's movies

It's just so fucking complex, and I'm saddened that it doesn't get talked about so much.
>>
File: mystery_man-1024x431.jpg (29 KB, 1024x431) Image search: [Google]
mystery_man-1024x431.jpg
29 KB, 1024x431
>>64601288
The personification of jealousy or a supernatural entity.
Probably both.
>>
>>64602030
AKSHUALLY, Robert showed up on set with shaved eyebrows and whatever haircut he had. Lynch never asked him to look like that, he just came to set looking that way.
>>
>>64603133
It starts off solid but then it becomes really abstract, to the point of being really hard to follow. Good, but not what everyone wanted.
>>
>>64604440
Lel.
Well Lynch almost always improvises his work, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.
>>
>>64601288
He is a part of your mind. He is the way you remember things.

The main character says he dislikes cameras because he "prefers to remember things his own way". However, cameras, of course, are an excellent way to remember things YOUR way and change "the truth" to how you see fit. (this is a theme Lynch also explores in Mulholland Drive, particularly the sequence in the theater).
>>
>>64601534
so are the tapes repressed memories of the murder of his wife.

my favorite scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I7lXV9b88
>>
>>64604960
Is that why he uses a video camera?
>>
>>64601288
Hes spooky as fuck tbqh
>>
>>64605190
Yes, that's why the Mystery Man uses a video camera. Notice how the tape of Fred "killing" his wife does not actually feature him killing; only him sitting near her corpse.

The footage can both be interpreted as him post-murder as him finding his wife's body and lamenting her death. That's the power of the camera (and the editing that comes with film), and also the power of the mind (the way we remember things).
>>
>>64603133
this desu, it's always been my fav lynch film, but everyone would rather talk about mulholland drive.
>>
>>64601288
The scene where he sees shadows moving in his house from the outside was pretty spoopy
>>
>>64604699
True, but it's weird that Mulholland Drive got a much more positive response considering they both have a similar approach to narrative structure. It was probably the lesbo shit.
>>
>>64606222
I don't really care for Mulholland Drive, but MD is a bit more of a fun movie to watch and it's quite a bit more refined; LH is sort of messy and has this ugliness over it that MD doesn't have. LH is also painfully 90s, which was already apparent back then.
>>
>>64601534
whats so good is that its presented literally

so if you want you could totally see it as an art piece or a spookfest

personally I liked Mulholland Drive better as an twilight zone esque movie with a mystery forever locked away by a strange blue box that alters reality to fit terrible implications
>>
mystery bump
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.