[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to think people that said this were shitposters but The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10
I used to think people that said this were shitposters but

The Phantom Menace is a better movie than The Force Awakens
>>
>>64600013
Oh
>>
>>64600013
They are, and so are you.

/thread
>>
5 > 4 > 6 > 3 > 7 > 2 = 1
>>
>>64600013

The Phantom Menace is a better Star Wars movie than TFA, and more original overall.

However, The Force Awakens has better pacing, and panders well to nostalgiafags.
>>
>>64600013

now people are starting to realize that TFA isnt a real Star Wars movie
>>
>>64600013

I wouldn't say -better- but it's gonna be more memorable than TFA in the long run.
People are already having a hard time remembering what even happened in the movie and in the future whenever people talk about Star Wars the things that still will pop into their heads are the OT (which everyone remembers as THE Star Wars movies), the prequels which everyone will remember as (The movies we always make references to, but actually were worse than the OT) and the sequel at best maybe remember as "Oh right, they exist, too, don't they?"
>>
The Phantom Menace anti-cheese edit is a better movie than TFA.
>>
File: 1450300234839.jpg (916 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
1450300234839.jpg
916 KB, 1333x2000
5>4>6>1>3>2>7
>>
>>64600484

Switch 3 and 1
>>
>>64600013
>used to

That term cannot be used to describe something that only began 3 weeks ago.

It's like saying, "I used to chew when I ate my dinner last week."
>>
File: 1452199285297.gif (606 KB, 540x230) Image search: [Google]
1452199285297.gif
606 KB, 540x230
>>64600517
Nope, pic related.
>>
>>64600013
Me too
>>
>>64600577

Nope, video related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
stop this fucking faggotry
>>
>>64600621
The fight on mustafar is far too long.
At least TPM had something a bit different in it's final fight.
>>
>>64600517
wrong
>>
>>64600621
holy shit lol.

tpm still a better movie
>>
>>64600621
>nitpicking

>>>/tgwtg/
>>
>>64600013
I totally get that the prequels overall were more original than the TFA, and they are closer to art than the TFA because on some level they were a director's vision instead of a product.

But TPM is a stars wars / rotj mash up just the same as TFA. If you're going to respect originality over quality, at least cite AOTC or ROTS. Those actually deviate from from the formula.
>>
>>64600750

How? Even anyone who agres ethat TPM is a good movie says that the Darth Maul fight is the only good part about it and it's actually shit
>>
>>64600085
>Mary sue (naturally gifted in mechanics, pilotry, the force) protagonist comes from desert planet
>much of the plot centers of saving a female heroine
>space battle at the end focuses on destroying an essential command station to neutralize the enemy forces
>old mentor character is killed

Which movie am I describing?
Now I don't want you spouting that bullshit that TPM was in any way more original again.
>>
>>64600621
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Wow you are a sad man for thinking this makes a fight bad.
>>
No it's not. Let's try and remember:
- A terrible plot driven by politics that doesn't make any sense
- Underdeveloped bad guys with no motivation whatsoever
- Bland, uninteresting main characters with no arc
- Jar Jar Binks
- Terrible child actor
- "Darth Maul," the character that undid everything cool about Darth Vader
- The Sith are just evil Jedi (this is terrible fucking writing with no spark of creativity that squanders its potential)
- Awful, drawn-out, overly choreographed fight scenes
- Dreadful special effects used excessively

Ignoring plot holes, Phantom Menace doesn't work as a movie on the most elementary levels. Throw them in too and you have a diabolically bad movie. I put forward that to like this movie, you either had to watch it as a kid, or you're the sort of person who hardly watches movies and gave the OT a miss
>>
Lemme go beat for beat

>movie starts with jedi peacekeepers tasked with preventing war on trading planet on the behest of the Republic
At the beginning, we get our heroes, we know who they are, where they are from, and what the main plot is. Deeper characterizations come later.
>interact and team up with the diverse local lifeforms - delegates from specific socities, all going out on an planet-hopping adventure in the name of peace
Overarching themes of pursuining unity and understanding across societal divides are introduced alongside a divere supporting cast that all have clear cut reasons for being present.
>as the conflict builds, they are forced to abandon the main planet and seek help from the Republic
Here, the inhabitants of the planet are being given their own heroes journey alongside the jedi by forcing them to go on the road from their home. As the jedi and the inhabitants interact further, they emphasize more and become invested in the conflict beyond it being only a mission.
>on the way, they encounter a young hero who serves as the outsider character to which the mysterious inner workings of the jedi order are explained to.
Backstories are shown implicitly. The jedi are characterized by their questioning of their upbringing and the jedi order, with Obi Wan being hesistant to train Anakin and Qui Gon being reluctant to heeding their commands - giving them unique personas within a greater scale.
>The jedi heroes unite different societies behind their delegates and win the day through their moral righteousness and preserverance
The throughline theme is carried out to a satisfying conclusions.
>The young hero displays unnatural aptitude and is crucial to their victory,
This teases future heroic developments and begin
>along the way a secretive sith lord is pulling the strings behind the scenes of the movies conflict
Efectively teasing the future installments without it bleeding in too deeply into the movie's singular plotline

This is a Star Wars movie
>>
>>64601095
>- A terrible plot driven by politics that doesn't make any sense
that's how wars start though

>- Underdeveloped bad guys with no motivation whatsoever
the reason is that sheev wants to bring the galaxy together under his command

>- Bland, uninteresting main characters with no arc
You have to judge them in the trilogy

>- Jar Jar Binks
eh can't argue with that, I doubt the sith thing was in lucas' mind back then, but I love that he becomes a senator lel

>- Terrible child actor
yeah he wasn't that good, daisy isn't exactly a great actress though

>- "Darth Maul," the character that undid everything cool about Darth Vader
if we're talking about coolness Maul was a lot cooler than vader

>- The Sith are just evil Jedi (this is terrible fucking writing with no spark of creativity that squanders its potential)
that's what the Jedi say

>- Awful, drawn-out, overly choreographed fight scenes
Definitely not awful (in episode I at least) think of it like this: the OT was inspired by old samurai movie, this one was inspired by modern martial arts films, maybe this might make it more bearable for you for some reason

>- Dreadful special effects used excessively
true
>>
>>64600621
>this just in! if you slow down a movie fight you will see that they aren't actually fighting
who knew?
>>
File: 1411166342687.jpg (8 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1411166342687.jpg
8 KB, 192x256
>>64601420

>if we're talking about coolness Maul was a lot cooler than vader

0/10, it's like you're not even trying.
>>
>>64601334
I tried to write a companion post about TFA but I couldnt finish it.

The Force Awakens is such a hodgepodge of random characters encountering each other by complete chance, rallying around the pursuit of a macguffin that is never established as being important in any other context besides in general, and along the way being riddled with unoriginal ideas and imagery as this group singlehandedly saves the universe.
>>
>>64600013
Objectively false

2/10, here's your (you)
>>
>>64600052
5>4>7>6>3>1>2
>>
>>64600915
>Which movie am I describing?
Obviously, TFA since none of the other movies have a Mary Sue in them.
>>
>>64601503
Darth Maul is the coolest looking sith of the whole series senpai, it doesn't make TPM a masterpiece but you know it's true
>>
>>64601436

It's not slowed down
>>
>>64601568
reddit has arrived
>>
You guys almost got me. I really actually started to believe that people started liking it now, but seeing this thread I realized it's just another forced meme I guess from IRC?

Not this time!
>>
>>64600089
What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>64601568
5>1=4>7>3>6>2
>>
>>64601622
Luke is absolutely a Mary Sue. Oh, he's some random farmer who is pretty good it flying his atmospheric ship. Let's give him a fighter, because he somehow naturally knows spaceflight and combat maneuvers. And he can use the force to one-shot the Deathstar after having used it once previously. Not to mention the fact that he learns to force pull his lightsaber without any training (remember the wampa cave in ep. V?).

The only thing that makes Anakin not a typical Mary Sue is the downfall we all know is coming. He certainly is in The Phantom Menace. He's a prodigious pilot, a technological genius, and has midicholorians up the wazoo.
>>
>>64601568
>>64601742
Your reddit is showing it's:
2>1>3>6>4>5>7
>>
>>64601791

You don't know what a Mary Sue is
>>
File: qanda_yawn.jpg (19 KB, 490x299) Image search: [Google]
qanda_yawn.jpg
19 KB, 490x299
>>64600013
>The Phantom Menace is a better movie than The Force Awakens
You people are not even trying anymore
>>
>>64601420
>that's how wars start though
That doesn't mean it needs screen time. Much less screen time as valuable as the opening scene of a movie.

>the reason is that sheev wants to bring the galaxy together under his command
Oh, how deep: the bad guy's motivation is that he wants to rule everything.

>You have to judge them in the trilogy
No you don't. Each film should still be its own story with a clear arc.
>>
>>64601891
A character who's inexplicably and effortlessly talented? Yes, I do.

I sure hope you don't think it means an author insert.
>>
>>64600085
The Phantom Menace doesn't even have a protagonist you contranian dumbass.
>>
>>64601898
hello reddit!
>>
>>64600484
Switch 1 and 7 ;^). No hivemind, just patrician opinions.
>>
>>64601946

Nope. That's not what a Mary Sue is. You just proved me right that you don't know
>>
>>64601622
>Mary sue just a dumb kid living on a desert planet
>becomes the best fighter pilot on very first flight
>learns ways of the force with no training
>becomes legendary Jedi warrior
>>
>>64600621
When the two fighters aim at the other's weapons rather than their opponent is one of my pet peeves. It unfortunately happens in a lot of moves.
>>
reminder that liking the prequels is a meme
>>
File: 1444759605530.jpg (1 MB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
1444759605530.jpg
1 MB, 3192x2124
>>64601953
>ironically defending TPM just for the sake of counter-culture
>>
>>64601742
>>64601816
>People actually believe this
>you interact with these people daily
>>
>>64602031
Wrong
wrong
After going through THREE movies of character development. A character that has development is not a Mary Sue
>>
>>64601791
>a technological genius
Why did this never go anywhere?

This kid spends his entire childhood working a scrap yard building a droid and a pod racer, working with electrical components.

Then he becomes a Jedi and never touches a circuitboard again.
>>
>>64602089
Fuck off disney shill, no one likes you piece of shit movie
>>
>>64600750
Well memed.
>>
>>64601946
It's actually both. Arguably both Rey and Luke fall into the destinction. Along with nearly every protagonist in literally anything ever.

It's a stale criticism of the film but it's the only one critics seem to have
>>
>>64602170
maximum edge
>>
>>64602191

Hint: If you think "Main character" and "Mary Sue" is the same thing, you don't know what a Mary Sue is.
>>
You should fucking kill yourself, dude.
>>
I would defend Jar Jar for hours before I defended Maz Kanata.
>>
>>64602191
>It's actually both.
Not necessarily.
>>
>>64600013
Why is the whole podracing scen in there? Its not important
>>
>>64602263
What made people hate her so much? I didn't feel anything toward her at all, positive or negative.

Jar Jar makes me cringe in ep 1 but he gets better later if that matters.
>>
>>64602289
Tech demo
>>
>>64602289
to prove that he is a very good pilot, and they even explain why he is such a good pilot

does this appen for rey? Nope
>>
>>64602330
why do we need to waste half an hour establishing that rey is a good pilot? she tells finn she's flown ships before but never left the planet. that's all you need to know
>>
>>64602292
Because she is shoehorned into the movie
>Han knows this 1000 year old alien that runs her own cantina and is implied to be force sensitive
It makes no sense
>>
File: muh normies.jpg (227 KB, 781x624) Image search: [Google]
muh normies.jpg
227 KB, 781x624
I swear, there is no more hipster place on this planet or any other than here.
>>
>>64602380
>why do we need to waste half an hour establishing that rey is a good pilot?

that's how movies work, it was a pretty cool scene and you get to understand how much his mother cares about him, the podrace is also an essential part of the plot because of the bet
>>
>>64600052
5 > 3 > 4 > 7 > 6 > 2 > 1
>>
>>64602491
>that's how movies work
if you think TPM is a good example of "how movies work" you're either memeing or a retard
>>
>>64602560
4>5>7>6=3>1>2
>>
>>64602477

>ad populum
>>
>>64602477

RT was objective once, it's garbage now

93% just doesn't make any sense for TFA, it's viral marketing
>>
>>64602563
in this case it is a good example compared to TFA though

I don't even dislike TFA btw
>>
>>64602477

http://www.filmaffinity.com/es/reviews/1/569795.html

Average score is 7.2

Most voted user reviews are all 4-6

Though if you actually read them they just want to give it a 0, but they don't because it's Star Wars
>>
>>64602477
>wahhh why wont you guys give endless praise to this mediocre movie!!
if you want to circlejerk to back to reddit
>>
File: 1450372226781.jpg (143 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450372226781.jpg
143 KB, 640x480
>>64602594
>prequels in the bottom
Everything back to normal.
>>
>>64602663
not really. podracing isn't like piloting a ship, it fails to establish Anakin as a pilot. a small child who says things like "i'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" and accidentally blows up a Trade Federation capital ship is retarded.

that Rey can pilot a ship is a trivial detail, she's obviously worked in them her whole life and it's plausible she's flown before and mentions that she has. the point is they get in the Falcon and leave Jakku.

i do think some characters deserved more background like Finn but i highly disagree that Anakin podracing somehow was a valuable use of time in TPM, a movie where the villain has 2 lines of dialogue and is promptly killed.
>>
>>64602728
>scrubs reaction image
>hates prequels

Hola Redditos!
>>
File: tumblr_mu10oab7yI1qce37oo1_500.jpg (37 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mu10oab7yI1qce37oo1_500.jpg
37 KB, 500x448
>>64602289
>>64602301
>>64602330

How in the hell is the podrace not important to the story?

It's literally Anakin battling selflessly to help these strangers he's never met - while, unknowingly, fighting for his own freedom. But, all the while, there's troubling subtext:

Fate chose his mother to be saved, but Quigon changed the outcome. Anakin's triumph unwittingly dooms his mother.
Several people die in the race, and nobody cares because they're aliens.
The protagonists' emphasis is on defeating the low-level thug Sebulba while the actual villain who runs the death races - Jabba - is ignored.
This is one of several prequel scenes in which emphasis is placed on an audience being distracted by spectacle.
Sandpeople take potshots from the margins, underlining that issue.
>>
>>64602862
>likes prequels
>talking about reddit
Hey reddit!
>>
>>64602852
this anon gave you another reason why >>64602881

I'm so angry for Finn, he could have been a great character, I have great hopes for him for the next film tbf
>>
>>64602637
The common fallacies with the ad populum argument are that the majority referred to isnt actual majority, and that said majority doesnt have full knowledge of subject matter. Neither are applicable here. If majority likes something, maybe that something is actually good.
>>64602646
>I dont agree, therefore its viral marketing
>>64602669
Still higher than TPM on that site
>>64602677
>waahh why wont you disagree with general opinion and be special and edgy like me
>>
>>64602170
I think a lot of people like this so called 'shit' movie.
>>
>>64600052
III>V>IV>VI>I>II
>>
>>64602939

>Still higher than TPM on that site

It's on pair with RotS, though. And you have to take in mind that these scores go down in time. Scores are way higher on just released movies than what they end up being for obvious reasons.

It'll probably end up below a 6.5 or even a 6.
>>
>>64603105
>It'll probably end up below a 6.5 or even a 6.

To be fair this really depends on how good the sequels are going to be, it's too soon to say
>>
>>64602937
it's cute fanfiction but it's really reaching and giving George too much credit. it was done for the spectacle and all subtext was diminished. none of this was clearly communicated in the movie and nobody cared.
>>
>>64603236
Of course the spectacle was a huge part of it, as george said, but it didn't feel like an unnecessary scene, unlike the romance in Episode II
>>
>>64603359
well there's no mistake AOTC is easily the worst of all 7 films and had the most missed potential
>>
>>64600621
nice clips of the dark knight rises fights, lady.
>>
all reddit scum must die
>>
>>64601420
>Actually defending the Phantom Menace
You can't get plebber then this if you try
>>
>>64600013
I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE DAY 1, but none of you listened. Why didn't you listen?
>>
>>64602031
>Mary sue just a dumb kid living on a desert planet

Anakin needed two movies minimum for this (and only because of a time jump between the two).

Luke needed three (and not even that admittingly).

Rey did all of this in one movie, with two on the way. Now who is and isn't supposed to be the Mary Sue again?
>>
>>64605104
The nature of the Force changed, JJ said himself in an interview. This is what they meant by awakening.
>>
>>64600013
yes
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.