[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the audience's reaction to this kino when you watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 555x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 555x755
What was the audience's reaction to this kino when you watched it in theater?
>>
I was the only one watching by the end
>>
3/4 of it left before the movie was over
>>
I didn't see Tree of Life in the theater, but no one left the To the Wonder screening I went to.
>>
Audiences in the Czech Republic burst out laughing at the dinosaur scene.
>>
>>64596471
lol this
>>
File: mfw ok.jpg (59 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
mfw ok.jpg
59 KB, 398x500
I quiet when they went all Jurassic Park on this bitch
>>
>>64596866
quit* fuqg
>>
lotsa old couples when I went to see it
most of the audience cried
>>
>>64596397
I didn't see it, but 3/4 before the movie was over I left, and by then end I was the only one watching. I'm from the Czech Republic.
>>
>>64596397

idk but i watched it with my gf and she was like "no offense. but that movie was awful"...baka
>>
>>64596941
pearls before swine my friend
pearls before swine
>>
>>64596866
nice bait
>>
>>64596397
Somehow convinced 2 of my friends to accompany me to a showing.

One feel asleep near the end. And the other was looking at her phone almost exclusively towards the end. We were 3 out of 20 people tops.
>>
>>64596397

A quarter walked out within the first 40 minutes.
>>
>>64596557
Me and my friends were like
>wtf that dino let that other dino live
>there is a god
I never felt that before
>>
I can't wait for Knight of Cups to hit theaters
>>
Never watched this or what it's about, but I've seen posts like this and that image where the theater has a post saying the story is "non-linear"

What the fuck is it about? No memes please
>>
>>64597811
It mostly focuses on a young boy growing up with his family in Texas in the 60s. Extremely nostalgic, for me at least.
>>
>>64597811
life
space
dinosaurs
kids
chastain flying
pitt in anger
heaven
god
sean penn
elevator
life
>>
File: treeoflifeSIGN.jpg (53 KB, 370x488) Image search: [Google]
treeoflifeSIGN.jpg
53 KB, 370x488
How fucking pleb can American'ts be?
>>
A turd from Malick.

Really, what do you see in this turd? It's just awful, the narrative (esp. the altruistic dinosaur part), the directing (just one of them being classical and BRRRRM + space) and general visuals being so in your face.
>>
File: tfw funny stuff.jpg (6 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
tfw funny stuff.jpg
6 KB, 250x251
>>64597915
AY LMAO
>>
>>64597915
>Deeply philosophical
A fucking Michael Bay film that's not Transformers is deeper than Tree of Life, there's nothing 'deep' about this movie, it's so fucking in your face with everything.

Jesus Christ fuck this gay earth
>>
>>64596397
This is hardly kino. At most it could be considered cinéma.
>>
heard a man in the back audibly say, as the credits rolled, "The fuck did I just watch"
>>
>>64597959
It's not meant to be suble...its the romantization and a poetical inner reflection of a conservative family in the 50s...

The whole purpose is to sound pretentious...they are questioning their existence all the time evidenced in the voice over lines like "why am I here" and "What is my purpose" and etc...they are close-minded and basic knowledge is out of their reach....but despite that they still ask the same questions that a modern scientist asks today; questioning the meaning of existence and its origins, and no one knows for sure what is behind all of this...only death is for sure.
>>
>>64596397
Surprisingly good. There was even a group of teens in the theatre and they seemed to be overwhelmed by the beauty and flow of the pictures. I remember everybody sitting longer in their seats when the credits rolled than in general and a lot of people seemed to be lost in their own thoughts.
>>
>>64598229
Yeah okay maybe it's not supposed to be subtle but it still has truckload of other issues and it's by far the weakest Malick film I've seen so far.

Haven't seen Knight of Cups yet, nor the New World (or whatever it was with Farrel in role IIRC)
>>
>>64597915
>>64597915
only in america

im kekking so hard right now. This makes cinema showers and ketchup dispensers not that farfetched
>>
>>64596397
I thought that was Brendan F. in the thumbnail..

too soon?
>>
File: just laughing.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
just laughing.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>>64597915
>deeply philosophical
>>
>>64597915
so fucking pretentious lol
>>
>>64598059
Insecure IQlet detected
>>
>>64600055
ToL wasn't deep, sorry.
>>
>>64600241
IQlet
>>
>>64597915
Christ, it was an arthouse movie theater even.
>>
>>64600254
Really, tell me why it was so deep? Whatever philosophical subjects it touched, it was on a surface level and whatever narrative it tried to push, it tremendously failed ie. altruistic dinosaurs and birth of consciousness, that is just a scared man philosophizing.
>>
>>64600358
Theodicy and -deep- biblical references you didn't pick up on
>>
File: 1244365478658.jpg (47 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1244365478658.jpg
47 KB, 960x540
Everyone was crying by the end. Some people literally broke down and had to be hugged/comforted by people near them. It was the most human experience I have lived through. Malick showed us the truth, just for a second.
>>
I wish I seen this in theaters just to see all the fucking bumbling retards filing out.

Anyone have horrible existential depression after watching this? Every time. Such a beautifully depressing movie. Perfect in every way.

Terry makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :3
>>
>>64601290
Oh my fucking god if that is what you think suffices for deep writing and film making. It was not subtle at all about any of those.

Christ you people pretending to like Malick are pathetic.

Still excited for Knight of Cups despite not liking ToL at all.
>>
>>64597811
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3Q8c73ziA
watch this
>>
>>64601481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEIeH7ymwA

That one is shit quality. Watch this.
>>
>>64601475
I don't know how you missed clear messages of Interconnectedness of life on Earth and the experiences and implications of being a living thing and a human being.

Quite literally, a lot is being said without being said at all. The film is a true testament to the human condition and the very act of being alive in a seemingly chaotic universe on one small, beautiful canvas.
>>
File: 12332557799.gif (155 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
12332557799.gif
155 KB, 300x169
>tfw you finally get Tree of Life

Literally went to church the next day.
>>
>>64601593
Jokes on you.

This film was about as pro deism as it was atheism. There's no religion being presented in the film through anyone but characters, more about spirituality than a particular religion.
>>
>>64597811
The Book of Job
>>
>>64601577
..I mean, come back when you have reading comprehension. Apparently pretendfans of Terry can't fucking read.

>of Interconnectedness of life on Earth and the experiences and implications of being a living thing and a human being.
Altruistic dinosaurs, yeah dats where the conscious mind came to play with their frontal cortexes they didnt even have.

The writing was abysmal.
>>
>>64601688
It's literally about Job.
>>
>>64601688
are you fucking retarded
Malick is a hardcore Episcopalian
>>
I think it would have been better received if the ending wasn't so ridiculously pretentious. Walking around on the beach, then Sean Penn looking around for no reason, then a shot of an unrelated bridge. Really?
>>
>>64601475
I don't think you understand what depth is, you don't need to be the new Heidegger to showcase depth.
Your IQ is too low for this conversation, I have to ride my bicycle.
>>
>>64601829
It was cut like dog crap, the movie that is. Could've done absolutely without Sean Penn's exposition scenes at all and the retarded contrast setup that was known to everyone before they went to the movie.
>>
pretentios proto-christian turd
>>
>>64601872

I agree, it seemed like they had no idea how to end it so they just put in some random extra shots during editing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFEuLx9OIvY

Literally the greatest scene in cinema history. People around me were literally in tears when I saw it at the cinema.
>>
When discussing this film with people if they mention Dinosaurs I immediately disregard their opinion, they were what, a 2 minute segment at best and THATS what they want to discuss?

Fuck off
>>
>>64601807
>Malick is a hardcore Episcopalian

Cool.

>>64601783
How so?

The fact the story didn't even touch on one faith and particular and went the spiritual avenue I can't really see it. The Book of Job is specifically about a man undying love of God in the face of hardships.
>>
>>64601933
They weren't random at the end but it doesn't help with how the movie was cut.
>>
>>64601767
>huuurrrrr dinosaurs duuuuurrr

Kill yourself you fucking goof.
>>
>>64601979
The Altruistic Dinosaurs are essential argument for his belief in that it shows the first consciousness and birth of good will.

It's also essential to understand how his argument is flawed on literally every level withw hat we know about animals of today and past.

It's a retarded brainfart that's what it is.
>>
>>64601987
All Abrahamic religions are at odds with each other, in Judaism there is no real notion of heaven which renders the last scene in the film incompatible with this belief, in Islam portraying God in any way is not allowed in any way.
The movie depicts God in a few scenes as ethereal beams of lights.

The movie is clearly rooted in Christianity.

Spirituality =/= Theism.
>>
File: tumblr_m4uzvwk6xU1rwjvx0o1_400.jpg (11 KB, 400x252) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4uzvwk6xU1rwjvx0o1_400.jpg
11 KB, 400x252
>>64601987
>How so?
>>
>>64602047
Fuck off
>>
>>64602047
>The Altruistic Dinosaurs

Are you fucking kidding me? You took the scene of the carnivorous dinosaur leaving the herbivorous dinosaur alone as "Woah, that dinosaur thought about the situation for a second and chose not to eat him. I guess Malik is implying he's conscious." ?

You're an idiot.
>>
>>64602138
Can't you band-aid Terry's argument? Huh?

Fucking bitch.
>>
>>64601987
>How so?
The opening quote
The film's main theme of the problem of evil and the cosmic journey that is similar to how God shows Job all of creation
A priest literally talks about the Book of Job
Jack O'Brien = JOB
>>
>>64602175
I'm sure it knew the other dino was herbivore with his brilliant conscious mind

You guys are fucking funny
>>
>>64602175
The scene was supposed to show the birth of consciousness, the DoP said so himself.
>>
>>64602074
>The movie is clearly rooted in Christianity.

Didn't see it this way the numerous times I've viewed it. Clearly meant to be more spiritual and compatible with more people.

>>64602088
And you think this means the movie is based off the Book of Job?
>>
>>64602047
What if the dinosaur wasn't hungry? Do you think all predators immediately kill every living thing they encounter?
>>
>>64602047
I thought it was about grace.
>>
>>64602228
That's because you're mentally retired.
You don't have to be Christian to like the movie.
>>
File: 1450918642816.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1450918642816.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>64602208
>>64602214
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IG4kceZBWA

Woah guise, check it out. This snake is using his consciousness to chose to not eat this hamster and befriend him.

I guess you were right all along.
>>
>>64602175
>Terry 'fans' don't even know what their 'favorite' movie of his is about
You have your head as far up in your ass as Terry has his.
>>
>>64601987
>The Book of Job is specifically about a man undying love of God in the face of hardships

>[on screen, unspoken] "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" Job 38:4,7

The film starts with this quote. The parents have lost a son. They see themselves as unjustly punished. The mother literally questions god about why he did this to her in the voice-over.

Job in the bible is a good man. He is however endlessly put through suffering. He asks god why he must go through such hardships. God confronts him and literally tells him that he is just a man and cannot comprehend the universe, (the quote above with which the movie opens). The vastness of it is too much for a simple man to ever understand. This is also mirrored in the film with the 'Lacrimosa' scene. You see the vastness of the universe, and suddenly the family seems insignificant.

The ending shows the mother accepting God.

There is obviously much more going on. This is a very bare bones analysis.
>>
>>64602312
What's your point?
It's factual that the scene was supposed to show the inception of consciousness, no one is arguing that this is what canonically happened in the history of evolution.

Also it's evident that this isn't meant to be understood in a literal sense.
>>
>>64601531
i had basically this exact experience taking acid
>>
>>64602312
OK if you have so much FAITH in Terry's argument for CONSCIOUSNESS (which you didn't even understand at first as evidenced by your post >>64602175)

Then why don't you go and lie to a fucking snake pit

Do it.

Get your clothes off.

Go lie to a snake pit with venomous snakes in there.

Measure ur words kid
>>
File: 123244547.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
123244547.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>he thinks he can understand the Tree of Life without having a strong understanding of Theology and Classical Music

lad...
>>
>>64601987
>>64602228
you're retarded
>>
>>64602468
The creation scene with classical blasting was cringeworthy shit.

>animereactionimage.jpeg
Figures.
>>
>>64602360
>It's factual that the scene was supposed to show the inception of consciousness

It's also factual that animals don't have to be conscious to follow their instincts and reject a meal if they're already. I don't see how you find any of this factual.

>>64602405
I don't think he was implying the consciousness in a dinosaur at all, but whatever you each their own.

>Then why don't you go and lie to a fucking snake pit

There's a higher chance I'll get my ass bitten than those snakes "befriending' me even though "befriending" me is also possible.
>>
>>64602512
You know you are honestly destroying Terry's terrible argument even more and showing just how dumb the writing was?

You realize that?
>>
>>64602500
>creation scene

What are you talking about? There was no creation scene. There was merely a seeing the universe through the eyes of God scene.

Confirmed for not getting the film.
>>
>>64602512
Again, no one is saying this is what happened during the inception of consciousness in the canon of evolution in real life.
It is factual however that the scene within the movie was supposed to signify the moment when consciousness was developed by living beings on this planet (it's factual because people who worked on the film said this), whether you're meant to understand this to be a literal recollection of history or if it's a metaphor of some kind is up to you, it seems rather obvious that it's the latter though.
>>
Why does Reddit hate Tree of Life so much? Is it because they're all fedoras and can't accept God into their hearts?
>>
>>64602557
If he was legitimately implying consciousness in a dinosaur then yeah, the guy is absolutely wrong. I'd defending the scene the way it was shown to me, a random fuck off dinosaur not eating another dinosaur because he wasn't hungry.

>>64602608
>no one is saying this is what happened during the inception of consciousness in the canon of evolution in real life

Neither am I. All I'm saying is I look at this from a non-theological viewpoint and saw it quite literally as animals being animals.

>it's factual because people who worked on the film said this

And where can I view this? Does it have the Terry seal of approval?
>>
>>64602705
You should go and read what the director, writer and DOP meant with the movie since you are clearly fucking lost.
>>
>>64602705
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/04/12/tree_of_life_s_dinosaur_sequence_what_terrence_malick_meant_and_why_it_s_implausible.html

>Neither am I. All I'm saying is I look at this from a non-theological viewpoint and saw it quite literally as animals being animals.

Doesn't matter at all, you sound very confused.
>>
File: 123235476548.jpg (192 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
123235476548.jpg
192 KB, 1600x1066
>she will never be your mom
>>
As a scholar of Terry I'll clear some things up. The dinosaur scene's significance is that it was the first time in the universe that mercy was shown, a deeply Christian sentiment. The film is based off the book of Job, but for Malick spirituality is king. The teachings of Christ are just as important, though. He sides with Kierkegaard when concerning the crowd and Christendom.

The Tree of Life isn't some autistic abstraction about religion. It's about the characters and their flaws, sin, and the triumph of humanity as a whole. The ending is obviously about Heaven, but transcendence and the final understanding of one another is the true sentiment. God bless, and strive to be good to one another.
>>
>>64602405
That's not the same thing idiot
A better analogy would be if you're lying injured and a bear comes along. He could easily tear you up or he could also leave you alone or he could tell you that you're not getting an Oscar this year, Leo
>>
>>64602818
God bless anon.

Good to see some wisdom in this pit of wickedness.
>>
>>64602818
Too bad the writing for characters is shit, everyone but Pitt is acting like shit, and nothing was surprising or well done in regards to characters.

>>64602846
that fag got attacked by injun girl and had to lie about bear attack to
>>
this is one of the simplest and most useless movie I've ever seen.
He made, the whole time, a simple "concept+picture" association, most of the time reaching an unexpected level of mediocrity ("loneliness" is equal to "modern man in a futuristic milieu" - no kidding!)

not a single original thought in the movie outside altruistic dinosaurs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjcL9Vnl1KU

Love how terry only picked Christian music for the film.
>>
>>64602904
>is shit
>like shit
You shouldn't get so angry about things, it's not the Way of Grace.
>>
>>64602749
>>64602772
That's fine and dandy and everything, but it's still not going to change the way I look at the scene.

I'd agree with the statement that it was the "birth of compassion" more than the birth of consciousness in this dinosaur because that's how I originally viewed the scene. The birth of compassion from an unconscious and obviously uncompassionate creature.
>>
>>64603090
and its still icnredibly flawed argument made by a scared sheltered man.
>>
>>64596901
Wow, can totes see that happening
>>
Why do atheists hate Malick, /tv/?
>>
>>64603156
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say there was probably more Terry had to say about this scene then "Yeah dinosaur decides to not eat other dinosaur, birth of consciousness. Next."

Or at least I hope.
>>
>>64603398
It's a flawed scene.

If you slap more meaning to it, you lose more.

There's no win situation for Terry with this crap.

Hope he fixed his sorry head and made a good movie with KoC
>>
>>64596397
>LE KINO LE FLICK LE KINO LE FLICK LE KINO XDXDXDXDXDXD
>CINEMA CINEMA CINEMA XDXDXR
>DUDE MEMES
Stop. It's movie and movie theater.
>>
>>64603263
Atheists are people who haven't read enough literature to find God. They are uneducated, uncultured plebs. Malick does not make art for people like that.
>>
>>64603442
>It's a flawed scene

It really isn't unless you're really bothered by his original meaning of it.
>>
>>64603263
Because to be an Atheist you have to be an angst-filled teenager, or a man-child at the very least. They hate everything.
>>
>>64603521
>If the core is rotten it doesn't matter really that much
oh oh?
>>
>>64603605
Again, look at the scene from the perspective it's an animal refusing a meal because it's already eaten. There you go, an unintentional "compassionate" moment between two different creatures.
>>
>>64603693
You are fucking ridiculous.

>Take auteur
>Take away his meaning
>Insert your own
For what fucking reason are you doing this?
>>
>>64603749
>auteur

I happen to be someone that believes when you create a piece of art and present it to the world you kind of unintentionally forfeit the right to tell people what they're right and wrong about.

I think one of the main points of artistic value is the fact it doesn't have to be totally explained for two different people with two different viewpoints to enjoy it. Terry can have his (wrong) meaning, I'm quite happy with mine.
>>
>>64596397
laughing, booing, many people left

Will never ever watch a Mallick again.
>>
>>64601354
>Everyone was crying by the end.

Why do you lie on an anonymous image board?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.