[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best fantasy movies besides LOTR trilogy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
What are the best fantasy movies besides LOTR trilogy?
>>
A superb Christian Bale kino:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1jtGWdIuA
>>
>>64594118
The Hobbit trilogy
>>
>>64594118
why is every movie about why humans suck?
>>
>>64594118
From my point of view, the Star Wars movies are best.
>>
>>64594118
Star Wars
>>
chronicles of narnia
>>
>>64594755
>>64594762

YOU ARE LOST
>>
>>64594118

Tolkien ruined modern fantasy, fucking copy cats imitating him.

Gormenghast was a good book and it had a decent adaptation, based Christopher Lee was in it too.
>>
>elves are perfect
>dwarves are pretty cool guys too btw
>oh but humans suck
>>
>>64594721
I can never grasp this either. We humans make movies, why always be at the bottom? You really must hate yourself that much? LOTR is not a good example because the best characters they had were human,but EVERY single alien movie is about some imaginary retard raping your own kind and we re supposed to enjoy this. That's some cuck level bullshit.
>>
File: Fire and Ice.jpg (242 KB, 1007x1500) Image search: [Google]
Fire and Ice.jpg
242 KB, 1007x1500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if4WhCzQzyU

based ralph bakshi
>>
>>64594118
princess mononoke or other studio ghibli
>>
>>64594721
Men are weak.
>>
>>64594721
Isn't it about showing that humans are still full of bad stuff and they should aspire to perfection?
>>
>>64594118
Star Wars
Hellboy II
Labyrinth
Legend
The Neverending Story
Excalibur
Conan
>>
>>64594836

The dwarves fucked themselves, too. Look what happened to Durin and Moria.

And men sucked when Isildur took the ring, but they prove themselves in the War of the Rinf. It's kind of the arc. The strength of men failed in Isildur, but was proven by Gondor and Rohan.
>>
arent the magic wizards human.
>>
>>64595147

They are not.
>>
>>64594836
>>64594721
did you even watch the movies

elves were assholes

and least humans tried, and succeeded
>>
>>64594721

Because humans IRL suck and fantasy races are essentially representations of human ideals or downfalls taken to extremes.

It also plays into the themes of human mortality and perseverance, because even in the presence of "superior" races humans still fight. It's supposed to shown the indominability of the human spirit, which is kind of a core theme in most epics. It makes humans inherently more flawed then other races, which means they have more compelling story arcs and character development for the audience to identify with.
>>
What do the Great Rings do?
Are they a low level "The one Ring"?
>>
>>64595782
>Seven rings he gave to the Dwarves; but to Men he gave nine, for Men proved in this matter as in others the readiest to his will. And all those rings that he governed he perverted, the more easily since he had a part in their making, and they were accursed, and they betrayed in the end all those that used them. The Dwarves indeed proved tough and hard to tame; they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows. They used their rings only for the getting of wealth; but wrath and an overmastering greed of gold were kindled in their hearts, of which evil enough after came to the profit of Sauron. It is said that the foundation of each of the Seven Hoards of the Dwarf-kings of old was a golden ring; but all those hoards long ago were plundered and the Dragons devoured them, and of the Seven Rings some were consumed in fire and some Sauron recovered.
>Men proved easier to ensnare. Those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old. They obtained glory and great wealth, yet it turned to their undoing.
>>
>>64595847

Why would they just straight up take gifts from the lord of evil? We're they not suspicious at all or did they just want power that badly? Or is this before they knew Sauron was a bad dude?
>>
>>64595925

It was before, mostly. They were just gifts, nobody expected them to be magical. Their main magical purpose was to be linked to the One Ring - as the Nine Men were enslaved and became Nazgul, so were the others intended. But the Elves took off the rings and didn't use them before Sauron could corrupt them, and the dwarven rings didn't link to Sauron's properly. I think Sauron recovered a few of the dwarven rings, but some were destroyed by dragon fire.
>>
>>64595925
Because he was handsome, I shit you not.
Same with the elves, they gobbled all his shit because he looked good.
>>
>>64594118
Stardust, Pan's Labyrinth, Pirates of the Caribbean, Conan, studio Ghibli anime shit, Sword of the Stranger (animu) kind of counts I guess, Harry Potter, Hellboy 2, Star Wars (literally samurai wizards in space), The Wizard of Oz, and that's it.

For such a well known genre, there aren't many good movies. I'd love to see a proper Witcher, or other low fantasy movie that isn't a Tolkien rip.
>>
>>64594118
Excalibur
>>
>>64596191
>Sword of the Stranger
hardly any fantasy elements in this. great stylish chanbara though.
>>
File: krull-1983-original.jpg (414 KB, 1047x1600) Image search: [Google]
krull-1983-original.jpg
414 KB, 1047x1600
>>64596210
>Not krull
>>
What's the difference between low fantasy and high fantasy?
>>
>>64596254
basically how common magic is. technically LotR is a low fantasy setting, though thematically it's all high fantasy
>>
>>64596225
Well it was all for an immortality potion, everyone had implausible sword skills but yeah.
>>
>>64596254
Low fantasy is basically medieval or other shit which would be plausible in the real world.

High fantasy be elves and dwarves and shit.

Is Conan high or low?
>>
>>64596302
conan a shit!
>>
>>64594721
It's not about humans sucking, it's about human weakness, ie arrogance. A human is the lead fucking hero in the film asshat.
>>
File: 1421245319614.jpg (308 KB, 680x798) Image search: [Google]
1421245319614.jpg
308 KB, 680x798
>>64594721
>>
>>64596302
not exactly. you can have elves and dwarves and still be a low fantasy setting. they generally won't be as idealized as they are in, say, LotR though.
>>
>>64596337
I'll give you the 2011 version, it was horrible.
>>
>>64596301
there's no evidence that the immortality potion is real, though. all you know is that the emperor and his adviser believe it is. been a while since i've seen it but if i'm remembering properly multiple characters dismiss it as superstition, too.
>>
>>64596254

Everyone will have a different answer, but low fantasy typically takes place in a "realistic" world where fantasy elements exist but are unexpected, out of place, or don't fit into the ordinary parts of the world. A lot of horror movies operate this way, since the characters don't expect or understand what happens (ghosts, for example).

High fantasy is where those fantasy elements are inherent to the setting. That there are elves, dwarves, dragons, and wizards in LOTR is not a foreign concept to the people of Middle-Earth, even if they've never seen one.

Basically, don't confuse low fantasy with low magic. A Song of Ice and Fire has thus far been fairly low magic, but it's high fantasy.
>>
>>64594118
kin-dza-dza is really good
>>
File: 1439170344767.jpg (4 KB, 204x59) Image search: [Google]
1439170344767.jpg
4 KB, 204x59
>>64596352

>hobbits are human
>>
>>64594721
Nah, either humans suck or they are the best race ever
>>
Guys, is GOG any good? I'm a fan of Lena Headey.
>>
>>64594118
Dragonslayer and Ladyhawke were pretty good
>>
>>64596254
High fantasy:
>Good vs evil
>chaotic evil races
>basically a Tolkien rip
>powerful magic
>grandiose castles, battles, and settings
>all manner of magical creatures that are extremely powerful

Low fantasy:
>magic is evil, Lovecraftian even
>magic is also usually petty
>gray morality
>magical creatures act more like typical predators, not really that magic at all
>crapsack world
>futile wars between equally evil empires
>typical Europoor setting
>>
>>64596489
I hope we can all agree that elves are always the worst shits.
>>
>>64596534
i wish Legolas fucked my boipussy :/
>>
>>64596432
I agree. That's why I said it might kind of fit in, even though it doesn't really. Good movie though.
>>
>>64596254
I generally thouggt low fantasy refers to dirty morally ambiguous worlds like in Game of thrones where as high fantasy has clear good and evil
>>
>>64595925
He was disguised as someone else
>>
>>64596534
No
>>
>>64594836
Dwarves are greedy and Elves are vain.
Plus it was meaning the nine nazgul, not humans in general.
>>
>>64594836
feanor was a shithead
>>
>>64596632
But weren't the "current" humans like a watered down inbred version of some form of MASTERRACE humans that played ball with the elves and stuff?
>>
>>64596487
They actually are in LOTR lore
>>
>>64596674

Yes; the Númenóreans. Aragon is one, which is why he's like 80 during the trilogy. A few characters in the trilogy accuse men of being a shit because the blood's watered down, but they pull through anyway.
>>
File: Hugh_Watt.jpg (12 KB, 175x247) Image search: [Google]
Hugh_Watt.jpg
12 KB, 175x247
?
>>
>>64595925
He wasn't always seen as evil, he called himself Annatar or "lord of gifts". At the time I believe only Galadriel was suspicious of him. When Sauron put the One ring on the elves immediately sensed his corruption and removed them, the dwarves were too far to be controlled and also didn't succumb to its control and the humans became the Nazgul.
>>
>>64596782
uh, you don't get to bring friends
>>
What happened to the Dwarven rings? What could they do?
>>
>>64596813
I never understood it, why were Númenóreans so god tier? Just because they were allowed to live close to Valinor?

Atleast the kings got the excuse that they were descendants from elves and even a Maia, but most Númenóreans were just regular joes that fought against Melkor
>>
>>64596782

They're considered related, but they're not precisely human. Still, they're the only race that remains in the world other than Men, though they're secretive and private, so we don't see them. Elves all left and the Dwarves are buggering off under the ground I guess.
>>
File: 1395710893603.jpg (107 KB, 564x590) Image search: [Google]
1395710893603.jpg
107 KB, 564x590
Fuck elves.
>>
>>64596674
You're thinking of the elves. The only actual elves are Galadriel and some of her pals. Elrond and Legolas are just as human as Aragorn, they just live the elf lifestyle that somehow (I can't remember how) grants them immortality. That's why Arwen turns mortal when she chooses the human lifestyle.
>>
>>64596894

They didn't attune to the One Ring for whatever reason, so they weren't enslaved. But the dwarves didn't need Sauron's help to fuck themselves, so several ended up in Sauron's possession and several were destroyed by dragon fire.

I believe they enhanced the bearer's avarice.

>>64596918

I haven't read the Silmarillion myself, but it's probably one of those "ancient people lived longer and were closer to God" things. Look at how long the Bible says people like Adam and such lived.
>>
>>64596838
The dwarves rings did work, they just made them greedy for wealth instead of power.
>>
>>64597016
But they were greedy already.
Did they ring make them go double jew or something?
>>
File: Last_unicorn.jpg (95 KB, 300x452) Image search: [Google]
Last_unicorn.jpg
95 KB, 300x452
>>
>>64596945

Elrond was a mulatto of sorts, but he was allowed to choose between being an elf or man, and he chose the former.
>>
>>64597033

Well, yes. Hence: Moria awakening a fucking Balrog.
>>
>>64597033
Men were power hungry already. So basically yeah.
>>
>>64594827
>tolkien ruined fantasy because people copied him
Wouldn't that mean the people that copied him ruined it?
>>
>>64597075
Tried to watch this....it's so shit.
>>
>>64594827
People stopped copying him long time ago. Now everything is gritty and political
>>
>>64597317
Elves are still fags though, without exception.
>>
>>64594118
Warcraft
>>
File: dl.jpg (27 KB, 496x180) Image search: [Google]
dl.jpg
27 KB, 496x180
I really wish there was an expensive film adaptation of the Dragonlance saga. The shitty animated shitfest was shit.
>>
>>64595147
They're basically angels but they look like grandpas instead of winged faggots. And they have gender.
>>
>>64597033
The rings corrupt you but exploit your already existing flaws. This is why Boromir is the first to fall before the One as he was the one with more intense (though justified) flaws in the Fellowship.
>>
Berserk
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.