[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gattaca thread Trying to remeber what eugene says to vincent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 51vllLzIHaL.jpg (43 KB, 348x500) Image search: [Google]
51vllLzIHaL.jpg
43 KB, 348x500
Gattaca thread

Trying to remeber what eugene says to vincent before he kills himself. Cant find it anywhere.

Post favorite lines and such.
>>
>>64588061
>"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back."
>>
>>64588061
>I don't know how to thank you.
>No, no. I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body - you lent me your dream.
>>
>>64588061
fav song? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQ5WE3mUOA
>>
>>64588353
https://youtu.be/3WpGhk8ifK4

Not sure if embeding will work on phone. It's Departure. I should really watch this movie today.
>>
>>64588115
best line
>>
JEROME JEROME THE METRONOME
>>
File: ethan.jpg (208 KB, 1027x1222) Image search: [Google]
ethan.jpg
208 KB, 1027x1222
>>64588061
Simply one of the best films ever made. Ethan Hawke is amazing as usual.
>>
>>64588688
this was before he started taking it up the rectum hey?
>>
OP here. Pretty sure it was something like
V "Where are you going?"
E "On a trip"
Then sadness and despair ensues.

Was that it or was it something else?
>>
File: janitorgattaca.jpg (81 KB, 911x795) Image search: [Google]
janitorgattaca.jpg
81 KB, 911x795
I have a great deal of admiration for this thoughtful sci-fi flick. The de-gene-erate Vincent originally worked as a janitor. But against such great odds; contrary to the beliefs held by all those he knew and loved that he would never amount to anything of worth, he fooled them all into thinking he was a valid, elite, genetically superior member of society.

Of course, what makes Vincent’s feat such a remarkable one is that we as viewers understand that those who end up working in menial, janitorial positions, are generally mental and physical degenerates with little purpose in life; quietly and sullenly going about their empty days cleaning up after others; lacking the intellect and the strength of will to change their fate; condemned to a life without meaning, without joy, without hope, without love.
>>
>>64589191
Way to miss the whole point of the movie.

It's a cautionary tale about a dystopian future.
>>
>>64589320
>literally every time i make this post, within 5 minutes there are various responces, always similarly worded, about how i missed the point of the movie, or how wrong i am.

seriously jani, you need to fucking kill yourself. you are literally a disgrace to your family, and furthermore, to the entirety of human existence.
>>
File: janitor for free.jpg (67 KB, 600x893) Image search: [Google]
janitor for free.jpg
67 KB, 600x893
>>64589191
>who end up working in menial, janitorial positions, are generally mental and physical degenerates with little purpose in life; quietly and sullenly going about their empty days cleaning up after others; lacking the intellect and the strength of will to change their fate; condemned to a life without meaning, without joy, without hope, without love.
You just perfectly described someone does it for free
>>
File: 1450229966199.png (39 KB, 559x607) Image search: [Google]
1450229966199.png
39 KB, 559x607
Friendly reminder that Rand Paul plagiarized the Wikipedia article for Gattaca:
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/nov/01/rachel-maddow/rachel-maddow-says-rand-pauls-gattaca-speech-was-t/
>>
https://youtu.be/pqdfmvFlnng
>>
>>64589422
>why is everyone telling me I missed the point?

Maybe because you did, it's hardly as simplistic as that nor is that even a point in the movie.
>>
>>64590031
please continue janicuck, it's fucking hilarious
>>
This is a great flick
>>
>>64588061
I feel it would have worked better if they hadn't picked one of the few careers where health and genetic testing makes sense. Of course NASA only wants to send healthy people to space, if they die they just wasted billions.
It should have been a career where it shouldn't matter, in order to showcase how stupid the discrimation is.
>>
>>64589533
At least he writes his own speeches unlike libshits
>>
>>64590920
anon i'm also watching this but why did you post it in this thread
>>
>>64590492
No politician writes their own speeches, it's a bipartisan thing
>>
>>64590458
My English is terrible, sorry.

The outer space is an environment where mankind shouldn't be, because we can't naturally survive there. Vincent destination, Titan, isn't friendly either.
Vincent should have died like 5 years before he joined Gattaca, but he lived, against all odds. Gattaca was to Vincent what the outer space is to mankind.
>>
>>64590944
Could have sworn I was in the thread. At least glad to see someone else likes this great movie.
>>
holding your dick with your non dominant hand isn't weird right?
>>
>>64590458
This. Even in today's non-genetic ubermensh super-babies world, they wouldn't let someone with a heart condition that can kill you at any moment on a spaceship.
I get the "follow your dreams" message, but surely he could have a different dream. Like he wanted to join the Army, or be a firefighter or something
>>
good underrated movie
>>
>>64588925
>Everything you need to last you two lifetimes.
>Why have you done all this?
>So Jerome will always be here when you need him.
>Where are you going?
>I'm travelling too
>I don't know how to thank you
>No, no. I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body, you lent me your dream.
>>
>>64588061
any other films with a similar futurist aesthetic?
>>
>>64588061
>Cant find it anywhere
You should try WATCHING THE FUCKING MOVIE YOU GOD DAMN IDIOT!
>>
>>64591578
Blade Runner
>>
>>64591652
Not at all alike
>>
>>64590960
this
>>
>>64590458
>>64591127
Gattaca without space motifs? No thanks.

>>64591578
Blade Runner
Brazil
Children of Men
Dark City (sort of)
>>
>>64591652
>>64591762
I mean the look of the film. Gattaca is clearly heavily influenced by 1920's/30's futurism
>>
>>64591848
Another anon here. I got you, senpai.
There is a movie called "In Time" and it's shit, but has the same aesthetic.
>>
>>64591848
So? Blade Runner and all of the movies I've mentioned (except Children of Men) also follow a somewhat retro-futuristic aesthetic, it is as close as you can get to it.
>>
>>64591963
I feel the same. The world was built pretty well but everything else is pretty campy. Still pretty watchable t.b.q.h.
>>
>>64591522
Thanks friend
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.