[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this film actually good or is it a mess saved by a great Daniel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Gangs_of_New_York_Poster.jpg (61 KB, 300x442) Image search: [Google]
Gangs_of_New_York_Poster.jpg
61 KB, 300x442
Is this film actually good or is it a mess saved by a great Daniel Day-Lewis performance?
>>
more like a good movie brought down by Diaz
>>
Both Díaz and DiCaprio were horribly miscasted; it's painful to watch either of them and when they're together it's FF-button inducing.

Day-Lewis is quite good in it.

No comment on the plot.
>>
>>64587474
Should have focused more on Day-Lewis/Neeson than it did on Day-Lewis/DiCaprio or DiCaprio/Diaz

Also using racism to distinguish the heroes from the villains rather than their actual actions is hokey as fuck
>>
>>64587495
This, I still don't know who thought Cameron Diaz would be a good idea.
>>
Day Lewis saves most of it, aswell as the other actors who are quite good.

DiCaprio is miscast but Diaz is the biggest problem with it. Complete shit whenever she is onscreen
>>
It's a pretty good movie, but like >>64587495 said, Cameron Diaz was completely unnecessary. I think DiCaprio was pretty good. The action scenes are raw and good to look at. New York also really came to live, what a shithole.
>>
YOU SEE THIS KNIFE?! IM GOING TO TEACH YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH WITH THIS FUCKING KNIFE
>>
>>64587474
Its a mess saved by DDL.
Honestly, its so weird. Its like that Good the Bad and the Ugly that Japan made.
>>
>>64587588
This. Its one of Scorsese's weakest movies
>>
>>64587474
I thought it was an interesting concept but it was a bit of a mess.
Daniel Day-Lewis definitely improved the film with a great performance.
Cameron Diaz and the love story was pretty bad.
>>
>>64587588

pretty much this

it's a misfire but one with seeds of genius and ambition

Diaz is abysmal and drags it down, Leo wasn't right for it. The period stuff is interesting, DDL is great. Worth watching but deeply flawed.
>>
Leo had a shitload of opportunities to kill the butcher but because plot he just didn't for like another hour and thirty minutes
>>
>>64587474
DDL was only good part of this movie. At least compared to Cameron and Leo.
>>
>>64587686
That was when he lost his accent and I realized that it was DDL
>>
CUE THE U2

Also Leos Irish accent is an embarrassment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIyuJOh3T-Q
>>
>>64587789
WHAT'LL IT BE THEN!? LAMB OR SHANK? LOIN OR CHOP!?
>>
Best song incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjJoNqFCwY
>>
>>64587474

I liked it quite a bit. Not Scorsese's best, but definitely not disappointing or bad.
>>
>Martin Scorsese recreated 19th-century New York on the lot of Cinecitta studios in Rome. When George Lucas visited the massive set, he reportedly turned to Scorsese and said, "Sets like that can be done with computers now."

Just to make sure this thread is SW related
>>
>>64587910

Did this really happen? Jesus Christ, George.
>>
>>64587910
>citation
>>
So who would've been better than Leo?
>>
>>64587983
Doesn't matter /tv/ will say he's shit anyway
>>
>>64587983
Young Robert De Niro
>>
>>64587699
Still better than Kundun.
>>
>>64587474
Well fuck you nerds, I really liked it.
>>
>>64587983
Scrawny mode Christian Bale.
>>
>>64587910

"Hey Marty why dont u skip all the set details and use cheap cgi like me" - George Lucas
>>
ITT: fiddlin bens
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.