[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about how shitty the space physics are in Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: tai-x-wing[1].jpg (1004 KB, 1920x900) Image search: [Google]
tai-x-wing[1].jpg
1004 KB, 1920x900
Can we talk about how shitty the space physics are in Star Wars
>Without thrust, the ships decelerate
>Ships can tilt, bank, and yaw without retrograde thrust
>There's sound in the vacuum of space
>Fire can exist in the vacuum of space for prolonged periods of time
>Just about all the planets they go on have a breathable atmosphere, same specific heat as earth, and the exact same gravity, not to mention any possible radiation damage on planets with no atmosphere

Is this what normies think space is like?
>>
>>64584781
Its a long time ago in a galaxy far far away
Mayb things were different back then u dont know
>>
Its a galaxy far far away. You have no clue how physics work there. Besides, space samurai tapping into magic powers is plausible but fire in space isn't? Ok.
>>
File: tismo.jpg (2 KB, 125x54) Image search: [Google]
tismo.jpg
2 KB, 125x54
>>64584781

its a fun fantasy movie
>>
>>64584834
>>64584843
In a galaxy far far away implies that it's the same dimension/universe. The laws of physics are stable across all of the universe

>>64584865
>le autism meme
I'm not saying it's not a fun fantasy movie, I'm just saying the physics are shite
>>
>>64584781
>Is this what normies think space is like?
No. Star Wars never was physically accurate. In fact it's basically early 20th century technology set in space and everybody knows it.
>>
>>64584885
>The laws of physics are stable across all of the universe
Physicists are discovering this to be far from the truth.
>>
Welcome to the world of fiction.
>>
It's a fairy tale about space wizards for kids and manchildren, all of this happens for the same reason animals talk in other flicks
>>
Maybe they can breath on all the planets that they go on because they dont go on the ones that they cant breath on.
>>
Next thing you tell me there aren't actually medichlorines that enable some people to push stuff around without touching it?
>>
>>64584781
>Fire can exist in the vacuum of space for prolonged periods of time

Someones never heard of the Sun
>>
>>64585007
Yeah but the sun has lots of oxygen in it. Have you seen how big it is?
>>
ITT kuck OP confuses space opera genre with sci-fi genre
>>
>>64584905
Elaborate

>>64585007
The sun is plasma
>>
Maybe Star Wars doesnt take place in space, but on a really big planet, big enough to have planets and suns in it and lots of air.
>>
>>64585044

it's a movie
>>
>>64584781

In case you don't know guns don't work like in action movies either.
>>
>>64585158
And?
Neither do cars, wounds, and everything else.
Your point being?
>>
It's alsmost as if physical accuracy was not the primary paradigm in making blockbuster series about people who fight with swords made of light.
>>
>>64585225

So why are you bitching about physics when nothing works like it should?
>>
Actually semi-accurate space battles would be pretty interesting, although if you thought if through there probably wouldn't be an small cruisers or bombers or even human pilots, and the battleships wouldn't even get into much visibile contact.

Nevertheless, you could do neat things like the small fighters rotating around while still going the same direction and shooting backwards.
>>
>>64584905
>Physicists are discovering this to be far from the truth.
Really would want a source on that one.
>>
>>64585363
This
also you'd think if they'd have the technology to achieve faster-than-light travel they'd have turrets with lock-on and AI programming instead of having a human man the turret, missing all the damn time

Fuck you Lucas you HACK
>>
Star Trek - SciFi

Star Wars - Fantasy

thats how it is possible OP
>>
>>64584781
If they wanted realistic space battles the normies wouldn't be satisfied.

>"PROJECTOR I HAVE A PROBLEM! PROJECTOR I HAVE A PROBLEM! PROJECTOR I HAVE A PROBLEM, THE AUDIO CUT OUT DURING THE X-WING SPACE BATTLE!"
>>
>>64584920
most well thought out reply ITT TBQH
>>
>>64584920
Planets we can breathe on with the same gravity and heat are literally 1:1000000000000
They would have to travel thousands of light years to get to the closest one stastically
>>
>>64584905
>Physicists

Oh? All of them? No specializations? Just general physicists? Citations? No?

Stop trying to add credibility to a franchise that is made for the masses.
>>
>>64585612
maybe it has something to do with the force making more planets habitable, maybe the SW galaxy is just luckier than ours, or maybe the fact that there have been spacefaring civilizations for millions of years in their galaxy meant that at least one of them got really good at terraforming
>>
>>64584897
>early 20th century tech

What the fuck are you on about?

Oh wait, I forgot about all those laser weapons and space battles in WW1.
>>
>>64584781
>Stormtrooper helmets filter smoke not poisons

why not both
>>
>>64584905
Yeah, there's General Relativity, and then there's Special Relativity for your mother's fat ass.
>>
>>64585751
but some of the planets are specifically unihabited
>>
>>64585770
>What the fuck are you on about?
>Oh wait, I forgot about all those laser weapons and space battles in WW1

Guns are pretty much guns but with laser
Dogfights are _literally_ carbon copies of WW2 footage
Starships are pretty much pre-missile warships
Light Sabres are a romantic throwback to chivalry in the middle ages

Cmon this isn't hard. Pretty much all action in the OT is a throwback to the not-so-distant world wars. It's not coincidence that the storm troopers are called _storm troopers_ and basically are space Nazis.
>>
>>64584916
Fair enough. But most fantasy elements are still explained or given a reason for their existence. Star Wars explains the force as this spiritual power that pervades through everything, giving rise to the special abilities the 'force sensitive' utilize. Everything else is suppose to be explained by standard physics because it takes place in our universe (galaxy far far away, so still the same physics). But because Lucas wasn't much for researching and more into scifi, we ended up with unrealistic crap.
>>
>>64585908
Lucas awas probably very well aware that his movies crassly breach physical reaslim, he just didn't give a crap. The reason is that the focus is on the hero's journey while keeping a certain aesthetic, not on depicting reality as it is.
>>
File: Isv.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Isv.jpg
379 KB, 1920x1080
You know which movie had a fucking realistic spaceship? Avatar. For all the shit that movie gets for its simple story one must admit that underneath all the visuals is a fair deal of hard sci-fi.
>>
>>64585989
Yeah, if only they made a watchable movie on top of that.
>>
>>64585893
That still isn't "early 20th century technology". The word your looking for is allegory. That is, Star Wars is an allegory for early 20th century politics and war.
>>
>>64584781
>Just about all the planets they go on have a breathable atmosphere
It's almost like the planets were populated for precisely that reason.
The planets we've seen in the movies aren't the only planets in the galaxy.
>same specific heat as earth, and the exact same gravity
[citation needed]
>>
>>64585007
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(palmface)
>>
>>64586055
>That still isn't "early 20th century technology"
That's why I said "early 20th century technology set in space" You goddamn autist.. And it's definitely not an allegory because it's merely an aesthetic choice.
>>
its a fairytale you autists
>>
File: wat.gif (617 KB, 490x324) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
617 KB, 490x324
>>64585051
>>
>>64585363
>neat things like the small fighters rotating around while still going the same direction and shooting backwards

Just watch BSG. They have really good space battles in that.
>>
>>64585953
That and his poetry. He really likes his poetry.
>>
>>64585989
Cameron does Sci-fi well. He researches and actually tries to include potential future technology, not just fantasy. He is probably the best director out there for true Sci-fi. Just ignore all of the blue people crap.
>>
>>64586115
Autist? Projecting some inward turmoil?

>"early 20th century technology set in space"
This still implies that the technology is 'similar', not an allegory. You see the difference there. Learn how to us English grammar correctly.
>>
>>64586332
>Best for true sci-fi
Hahah dude what, are you retarded, I'll admit that I like based Jim but in no way is he based in reality.

>Retard blue natives are attacking
>Kool lets actually fight them cos we're bored
>Aiite turns out we lost lets just bomb em from space
>>
>>64586389
>This still implies that the technology is 'similar', not an allegory
To anyone who isn't a complete sperglord it does not, but I guess you can't expect too much from /tv/. Also, again, it isn't an allegory in the first place.
>>
>implying our galaxy is good
>>
>>64586576
I didn't say he was perfect, just the best. Who else out here does sci-fi better?
>>
>>64585796
Cause poison gas can be ingested by the skin
>>
>>64586602
>Also, again, it isn't an allegory in the first place.

Again? It is an allegory though, for the exact reasons you posted before.

>Guns are pretty much guns but with laser
>Starships are pretty much pre-missile warships
>Light Sabres are a romantic throwback to chivalry in the middle ages

There you go, from the autistic horses mouth.
>>
>>64586817
Please go luck up what an allegory is you simpleton.
>>
>>64586954
>simpleton
Wow your major douche bag. Just end your life already.

Allegory
>is a form of extended metaphor, in which objects, persons, and actions in a narrative, are equated with the meanings that lie outside the narrative itself.

So...go fuck yourself.
>>
>>64587289
And please tell me how Star Wars uses it's WW-type depiction of war to actually make a point about the actual world wars. You know, like in a metaphor?

Please consider suicide, we'd all be better wihout you.
>>
>>64584781
They aren't in space you assclown. All the dogfights in TFA are well in atmosphere. Lucas just couldnt into physics
>>
>>64584781
>Without thrust, the ships decelerate
>Ships can tilt, bank, and yaw without retrograde thrust

They have artificial gravity and strong ai. I think they can do this shit easy enough without it being a big deal.
>>
>>64587339
If you can't understand based on the definition of an allegory, then your beyond repair and should go stand in traffic wearing a turban.
>>
>>64587648
I usually wouldn't be this petty but just in case somone equally retarded as you but much less of an asshole is lurking this thread:

Making a grander point about something using integral structural elements of that something but giving it a different, more accessible setting (i.e like in a metaphor): It's an allegory.Example: Animal Farm by Orwell is an allegorical depiction of the fall of sowjet russia into dictatorship.

Taking sytlistic elements from a piece of art or epoch but NOT making a grander piont, just because you like those elements: It's not an allegory. Example: War footage in Star Wars that is based on WW2 and WW2 footages and styles.
>>
Space battles was something Star Trek definately did a lot better.
>>
File: 1451168212694.webm (3 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
1451168212694.webm
3 MB, 640x272
>>64587816
The explosions can be a bit much, I think
>>
>>64584781
>>Ships can tilt, bank, and yaw without retrograde thrust

PLS DON'T REMIND ME OF THIS

ITS TOO PAINFUL
>>
>>64587816

D E F I N I T E L Y

you're welcome
>>
File: swmap.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2346) Image search: [Google]
swmap.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2346
>>64585612

>They would have to travel thousands of light years to get to the closest one stastically

Let's ignore your one in a trillion ass pull number for a second and just remember that is exactly what they fucking do. They literally cross the galaxy in a matter of hours, days, or weeks depending on where they are starting and ending. Speed of travel in Star Wars is more hindered by different types of hyperspace interference than actual distance.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.