[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The most accurate adaptation of a 200 year old book is set hundreds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
The most accurate adaptation of a 200 year old book is set hundreds of years in the future and features blue space pirates. And it's an anime.

How the fuck did this happen?
>>
looked like shit from tales from earthsea
>>
The anime is 26 episodes long.
>>
>>64583673
Hollywood always sanitizes the Count of Monte Cristo.

The idea of a legitimately sadistic protagonist who owns a slave girl and uses drugs is just too controversial for the studio execs, so they make him more of an unambiguous hero and lose a lot of what made the character interesting.
>>
>>64584344
well another thing is that the book is long as hell and doesn't really work for a movie

i dunno why a decent budget miniseries hasn't been done for it, it's a classic
>>
It isn't fucking accurate at all
>>
>>64584369
he said most accurate
>>
`>>64584363
Who would you cast for Count of Monte Cristo in your miniseries anon?
>>
File: 1437677062135.png (425 KB, 887x532) Image search: [Google]
1437677062135.png
425 KB, 887x532
>he is dying and still orders people to kill themselves so he can have his revenge
>>
>>64584363
I think the Count of Monte Cristo could be a adapted to film, but it would run anywhere between two and a half to three and a half hours.
>>
Its fucking garbage especially the second half. hurrr glass heart
dont be tricked into watching this crap
>>
>>64584460
>I, betrayed, sacrificed, buried, have risen from my tomb, by the grace of God, to punish that man
>Sir, said he, in a solemn tone, I consider your glove thrown and will return it to you around a bullet. Now leave me, or I will summon my servants to throw you out at the door.
So many great lines in the book
>>
>>64584458
Christian Bale
>>
>>64584600
And the supporting cast?
>>
I doubt anime weebshit is better than the caviezel version.
>>
>>64583673

i just finished reading the book so i guess i will watch this.
>>
99% of anime is actually complete shit
>>
>>64584615

Paul Dano, Tom Hardy, Aidan Gillen.
Eddie Redmayne in drag to play all the women.
>>
>>64584344
Dumas is always sanitized. I have yet to see a single adaptation of the Three Musketeers where Comte de Rochefort wasn't a mustache twirling villain. Rochefort turns out to be a bro in the books.
>>
>>64583673

What's the tl;dr on this?

>>64584688

You say that as if that is a controversial opinion
>>
>>64584699
Lemme guess... Paul Dano as de Villefort, Hardy as C. de Morcerf and Aiden Gillen as Danglars?
>>
>>64584688
you watched all of it? if not then you cant have that sort opinion.i mean you can but oull be an autistic retard.
>>
>>64584688
Fucking western pleb
>>
>>64583673
Blogpost:
When I was still a little bub and wanted to move to Japan, watching animus and reading mangos this series came out. I knew about the story of Monte Christo and that it was supposed to be a literature classic that got a couple of movie adaptations including one with Richard Chamberlain, but I never bothered with it.
I somehow decided to get the book first before watching the anime.
Long story short; the book became my favourite to this day and left an impression on me like none before it. It changed the course of my life, because it helped scupting my personality and character.
After all those years I tried watching the anime in 2015 as the art style is rather unique and intriguing. I couldn't get past episode 2. Utter trash.
>>
>>64584809
>he didn't watch literally more hours of anime than he has lived so that means he can't comment on the state of anime
Anime was a mistake and you know it weeb
>>
>>64584836
Largely same reaction to the show. It's pretty to look at but a horrible adaptation. Though I like the embedded joke that the kid used to capture Albert is a boy pretending to be a girl which most people would right off as typical Japanese weirdness but is in the actual book.
>>
>>64583673
"Most accurate"
>eugenie danglars falls in love with mondego's son instead of being a lesbian
>the count of monte cristo escapes from prison with teh help of a purple space demon instead of with the help of an older inmate
>the purple space demon is the only french-speaking character on the show
>the purple space demon turns the count of monte cristo into a vampire with some degree of immortality
>After being disgraced by having his poor military conduct revealed publicly, mondego somehow invades space-paris whereas in teh novel he is dismissed from the military and commits suicide
>Mondego's son forgives the count of monte cristo for both humiliating his father and killing his best friend in a duel, whereas in the novel mondego's son hates the count simply for humiliating his father
>the show ends with a sword fight between Mondego and the count of monte cristo, followed by an mexican stand-off between Mondego with the count's concubine held hostage, the count, mondego's son and I think at least 2 other characters
>the count dies at the end whereas in the novel he sails away with his concubine after arranging a happy union between the soldier and the young noblewoman who was abused by her stepmom

It's horse shit.
>>
>>64584344
he doesn't own a slave girl.

After mondego betrays and kills the sultan father of Haydee and ravages her kingdom, she has no where to live so he offers her sanctuary (I think having been a friend of her father?) .

She isn't required to do chores other than perhaps accompany him to some functions (although I don't rememebr if she did appear in public with him) and they only have sex after the story ends when she asks for it and explicitly tells him that she has fallen in love with him
>>
>>64585174
He buys her.
>>
File: aotd.png (570 KB, 1305x373) Image search: [Google]
aotd.png
570 KB, 1305x373
>>64583673

Agreed.
>>
>>64585100
>eugenie danglars falls in love with mondego's son instead of being a lesbian

I remember one of the trailers had her with longer hair, leaning in to kiss another girl. Not sure why they changed it.

I think the show's pretty fantastic though, aside from wonky CG and a subpar ending. I'm sure a big part of it was because of the visuals and music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-sWaSCI5A
>>
>>64583673
I was discussing the same with some friends the other day. This Count of Montecristo is a space ghost-alien-super pirate possessing the body of a man in a galactic prison. It really shouldnt be the best adaptation...but it is.

Also, Im not sure if Im a fan of how literally every ending for every character was changed. Some were changed for the better, while some others were changed for worse.
>>
>>64584615
Christian Bale. Is like an Eddie Murphy movie but with bale.
>>
>>64585100
All endings were changed. The rest is pretty good and accurate for a sci-fi adaptation.

Mondego's son has more relevance here because he is replacing Max as son figure.
>>
File: 1450588205551.png (947 KB, 1052x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450588205551.png
947 KB, 1052x1200
>>64587482
A more objective AotD list as far as influential series that had the most immense impact on a largely altering aspect of the medium would be:

60s - Speed Racer(Brought anime worldwide)
70s - Battleship Yamato(Popularized sci-fi)
80s - Urusei Yatsura(Pretty much birthed otaku culture)
90s - Neon Genesis Evangelion(Popularized psychological/experimental)
00s - K-On!(Popularized CGDCT)

You just gotta separate your personal opinions on stuff like AotD lists.

Don't pay attention to me I'm a weeb.
>>
>>64584824
fucking Western hating westerner adopting a foreign culture to make themselves feel like a victimised outsider, trapped by an evil partiarchal culture.
Oh if only I was Japanese, I'd be so cool and everyone would love me!
I could have a 12yo girlfriend and buy spoiled panties too!
O! Western World! You do not understand the spirituality and superiority of Eastern culture!
I must cut myself repeatedly until I am recognised as a guru!
>>
File: char nods respectully.png (709 KB, 640x958) Image search: [Google]
char nods respectully.png
709 KB, 640x958
>>64583673

I don't remember any blue people in Gundam.
>>
>>64588684
>You just gotta separate your personal opinions on stuff like AotD lists.
Then where is Dragon Ball you faggot?
>>
>>64583673
Started really good, but ended as just another fucking anime. Should have kept the Count closer to book.
On somewhat related note link related is my favorite Monte Cristo movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCVwB7u2Dc
>>
File: 1443024134899.jpg (180 KB, 708x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443024134899.jpg
180 KB, 708x1000
>>64588727
Replace it with Yatsura if you want. I sortof thought of the birth of Ota culture as a larger event than "lots of people watch this", and it didn't exactly introduce or popularize shounen.

Dragon Ball for 70s would be like putting Naruto for 00s. Not really a bad thing or wrong but they didn't exactly change much about the medium. Lots of people just watch them.

I'm off to work now, good luck with the thread.
>>
Why is your IQ so low, Quentin?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.