[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who actually liked this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5
File: 135676788956745.jpg (161 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
135676788956745.jpg
161 KB, 480x640
Am I the only one who actually liked this guy?
>>
>>64583029
Describe him without mentioning any of the attributes assigned to him in the movie. YOU CAN'T! That proves he's a bad character.
>>
>>64583029

meh
>>
no, he was alright
>>
>>64583056
>Describe the character without describing the character
>>
You reckon if you were his cute young padawan that sometimes you'd be training together and he'd come up behind you and hug you from behind to show you proper lightsaber technique and you'd feel his crotch against your ass and you'd kind of grind your ass into it but act all innocent and he'd start breathing heavier and you'd grind a little harder and feel something hard against your ass and then he pulls off of you and tells you that's enough for today and leaves and you jack off thinking about the whole experience?
I think that'd be a fun little romp know what I'm saying?
>>
>>64583056
old charismatic headstrong mentor

just because some RLM autists make a video to get film obsessed shut ins to watch their videos doesnt mean their meme opinions are the end all be all of any film criticism
>>
>>64583056
Older fella with authority issues. Has his own ideas and isn't afraid to follow them through.
>>
>>64583056

Stoic
>>
>>64583130
Youre right, an anonymous post on a mongolian cartoon image board overrules hours of meticulously explained criticism
>>
>>64583056
>Describe him without mentioning any of the attributes assigned to him in the movie.
......what?
>>
>>64583188
Can't say who plays him, what he does, what he looks like, that sort of thing. Describe Qui-Gon to someone who's never even heard of Star Wars.
>>
>>64583029
Yeah as a kid i always liked him
I realise how stupid his character is now but i still hve a soft spot for the guy
>>
He was like a renegade cop who has softened up with age. I would have liked to have seen him when he was younger and even more reckless.

>You're a loose cannon, Qui Gon! Turn in your robes and lightsaber, you're off the case
>>
>>64583029
>muh midichlorians

He deserved a worse death desu
>>
>>64583056
>attributes assigned to him in the movie

what does he mean by this? attributes that other characters in the movie state he has?
>>
>>64583241
>we will never see a Punished Qui Gon HBO miniseries in the vein of True Detective S1 with a heavy sprinkling of Justified
>>
>>64583173
>an anonymous post on a mongolian cartoon image board overrules hours of meticulously explained criticism
yes, it does, stop being so buttblasted RLM-faggot
>>
>>64583056
"The Phantom Menace is the worst thing it has happened in my life since my son"
>>
>>64583128
come on now son
>>
>>64583173

Yes, having your own opinion overrules hours of meticulously explained criticism by the social retards of reddit letter media
>>
>>64583029
I liked him. Bit of a lousy protagonist - who the fuck relates to this guy? - but he was everything I imagined a Jedi in the Order would be.
Oldfag born in 1979 here.
>>
>i can't enjoy this because a faggot neckbeard on youtube doesn't like it
>>
>>64583457
What do old people masturbate to
>>
darth maul survived being sliced in half but he couldn't survive a simple stabbing
>>
>>64583029
I love him. He's a great character. He's like the total opposite of what a Jedi is supposed to be and yet he's also the best Jedi. He just doesn't give a fuck and does whatever in order to do good.

Honestly, I'd love a Qui-Gon Jinn solo movie.
>>
>>64583236
he's this anarchist guy in a world where you can get respect for it. quite competent at everything in a non-competitive way.
>>
>>64583475
black stallions mounting white women while cucks watch.
>>
>>64583457
This. He was literally the only Jedi to actually act like one. For the most part everyone else were just warriors, the strongest example being Mace
>>
>>64583236
He's a guy who you'd expect him to be conservative and old-fashioned, but he's absolutely not. Dude is completely unorthodox. He's this guy that doesn't follow the rules but rather follows "the spirit of them." He's also the sort of dude who would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. Even though he's this goodly dude, he doesn't look down on the sinners of the world and even hangs out with them if it means doing good. He's also real chill, real mellow guy. Doesn't get too stressed even when the heat is on and shit is going down all around him. He rolls with the punches. Easy-going. There should be more people like him.
>>
>>64583632
He's also a cheap fuck who will use The Force to save money
>>
>>64583702
Nah. He tries to use the Force to get Watto to take his money, not to give him the part for free or something. Then he uses the Force to make it so he wins Anakin and not his mom.
>>
I like the RLM reviews and don't care for the prequels, but I never got why they hated on him so much.

He seems like the exact type of Jedi you'd want to be learning from. Calm, collected, not a stickler for the rules but plays within them. He's a bit incompetent but he's flexible and able to adapt.
>>
>>64583762
So you're saying he's a pederast too? Jesus Christ, Qui Gon was the real Phantom Menace all along
>>
>>64583814
When we make jokes, we should try to make sure those jokes are funny. Just a thought for the future.
>>
>>64583888
g-guess i'll go back to reddit then
>>
He could have been cool is he was fleshed out. He's too one-dimensional. They should have established where he stood in the Jedi council, what his relationships were with the major players. More of his personality should have shown - he could still be "stoic," but maybe a joke or two thrown in to show he's a little more rebellious than his peers or something. Maybe more scenes establishing his relationship with Anakin or Obi Wan. We never really understand who he was or what his motivations are. If he's a main character he should have an arc of some description, but instead he just moves the plot along for vague reasons and then dies without changing.

Overall though the way the character is played conflicts with the character's actions. He's meant to be wise and heroic, but he acts on whims, has a questionable moral viewpoint and ultimately causes the destruction of the Jedi. If they swapped all his lines with Obi Wan's, who is a younger and inexperienced Jedi, it would have made a lot more sense
>>
Pederast? Nah. I would say that Qui Gon intrest in Anakin was purely force based curiosity and sense of destiny.

I like the guy a lot, especially because he got the balls to stand up against the council of Jedis. He do what he feel is the right things to do, against all odds. However his dedication to pursue the balance seeking was not matched by his lightsaber performance and in the end, he basically standalone started the confrontation between two sides of the force, when he insisted on training Anakin (especally the death wish was tricky...), who become Dark Wader....

All in all, he is a true master, how shallow characters we get todays (say Ray)...
>>
File: starwars45.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
starwars45.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
No, I liked him, I don't think anybody with any sense would say they didn't. Liam Neeson was likable, as was his character.

But I don't think he was really necessary. If they removed Qui-Gon and replaced his parts with Obi-Wan, then Obi-Wan himself would have actually had a purpose in the movie besides "tag along or stay back out of sight until Qui-Gon dies."
>>
>>64583975
>He's meant to be wise and heroic
Why is he meant to be this? Because you expect it from a mentor?

From what I've seen a lot of criticism directed at this character comes from the fact that he doesn't neatly fit into the common cliche people expect his character to be.
>>
>>64584023
I agree with this. I think the movie would have been way better if Qui Gon was replaced by Obi Wan and an older Anakin filled Obi Wan's position.

Of course that would be a completely different movie. Maybe one that doesn't suck.
>>
>>64584023
How could we have reworked the script to make both characters valid? I'm thinking perhaps Obi Wan acts a good cop, Qui Gon as bad cop, and maybe Qui Gon starts out as more of a grey Jedi but turns more light sided and sacrifices himself against Maul to let Obi Wan get the BIG KIBOSH in
>>
YOU'RE A BIG FISH
>>
Qui-Gon is great.

Qui-Gon seems like the only jedi to take his job seriously, the council just sits at Coruscant doing nothing while he discovers the literal chosen one, just because he actually travels to other planets. He lies, he cheats, he gambles with human lives and acts all smug and arrogant because he knows he's getting away with it. Qui-Gon leaves Obi-Wan to sit alone in a boring ass ship while he gets to watch podracing.
>>
>>64584023
>If they removed Qui-Gon and replaced his parts with Obi-Wan, then Obi-Wan himself would have actually had a purpose in the movie besides "tag along or stay back out of sight until Qui-Gon dies."
it sets up obi-wan's massive incompetence in the next two. "oh anakin is acting like a murderous retard? I should tell him to cut it ou- BAWBAWBAW MY MENTOR IS DEAAAAAAD OH YES ANAKIN KEEP DOING WHATEVER YES THIS IS WHAT QUIGON WOULD SAY OH FORCE I MISS HIM"
>>
>>64584030
We assume he's heroic because he does heroic things, wants to help the Princess and the Gungans.

We assume he's meant to be wise because of quotes like:

Obi-Wan: But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of the moment.

Qui-Gon Jinn: There's always a bigger fish.

Qui-Gon Jinn: Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Qui-Gon Jinn: Remember: Your focus determines your reality.

Qui-Gon Jinn: Keep your concentration here and now, where it belongs.

Etc. These lines are phrased in such a way to imply Qui-Gon knows this information from past experience, i.e. wisdom.
>>
>>64583029

I liked him, it's just a shame he stole Obi-Wan's character and purpose.
>>
>>64584162
I think all those quotes reflect Qui Gon's brash nature.
>>
>>64584162
As an interesting note, if you want a better understand of why Qui-Gon is the most boring main character in Star Wars canon, read through the list of quotes listed on IMDb. Jesus Christ he doesn't even say anything memorable
>>
>>64584216
I think it helps show that he's well in line with The Force.
>>
>>64584242
Qui-Gon is a man of action, not monologues. Yoda however talks a lot and accomplishes very little.
>>
>>64584257
You know who else was a man of action?
>>
>>64584352
Batman?
>>
File: StarWarsIV_087Pyxurz.jpg (138 KB, 1600x1202) Image search: [Google]
StarWarsIV_087Pyxurz.jpg
138 KB, 1600x1202
>>64584077
>>64584079
>>64584140
Well... I've been saying this for a while, but the way I see it...
>Anakin is older
>Obi-Wan is a freshly knighted Jedi, still thinks he's the shit
>they meet
>Anakin shows he's a kickass pilot, Obi-Wan needs a pilot because his dies or something, so they tag along for adventure
>Obi-Wan sees promise in Anakin, offers to teach him about the Force
>Anakin knew stories about the Jedi, saw them as superheroes, always wanted to be one
>Anakin's eagerness becomes an obsessive thirst for constant improvement
>that leads him to the Dark Side, believing it will unlock more power
>Palpatine feeds into it
>Anakin abandons Obi-Wan, abandons his wife, doesn't even realize she's preggers
>agrees to destroy the Jedi Order, believing them to be no longer relevant, or traitors to the new Empire

It works if we just assume Obi-Wan took Anakin under his wing because he overstepped his boundaries. He thought he could do what Yoda could do. He fucked up.

And that's why Owen didn't want Luke talking to Old Ben.
>>
>>64583029
Always liked Qui-Gon, at least design-wise.

If Lucas had actually bothered to do more than one draft of the script, this movie could have been really good.
>>
qui-gon, windu and dooku were the 3 best characters and they were all just used as plot filler or as bodies to drive certain parts of the narrative

fucking sad tbqh but it is for kids so it's not surprising that edgy grea area characters with some ambiguity (see: depth) were removed
>>
>>64583056
fuck off RLM fan boy
>>
>>64584352
bane?
>>
>>64584216
A lot of them could be interpreted that way on paper, but the way Liam Neeson plays these lines and the fact events in the movie seem to affirm his wisdom would indicate that's not how we're meant to interpret Qui-Gon's character. He gives advise to Ani who goes on to win the pod race, etc. Furthermore, because we know Obi Wan (as Ben) and we know that he will train Luke to be a Jedi master, we are left to assume he was taught well. The way the actors play this scene, with Obi Wan absorbing the advise given, implies Qui-Gon is someone we too, the audience, should listen to.
>>
>>64584391
imho Anakin needs a bit more of a reason to jump from light to dark.
>>
>>64583029
I watched TPM and realized it was utter trash because its neither kids movie nor it is a good sci-fi about those politics in it. Its not for anyone. Cute Ani actor is the only thing good about it. Imagine being hyped for the new trilogy, going to cinema and the movie opens with trade negotiations and Jar Jar and poorly designed universe.
>>
>>64584391
This is exactly how I think things should have played out, as well. The only thing I have difficulty sort of reconciling in my head is how Obi could get the Jedi council on board with his apprentice, and if he couldn't and then Anakin became Darth Vader, how would Obi Wan still have a good relationship with Yoda in the OT? Assuming you want to keep the whole idea about prophecies and balance to the Force, that is
>>
File: 1452142013621.png (1 MB, 1166x849) Image search: [Google]
1452142013621.png
1 MB, 1166x849
>>64584461
>Cute Ani actor is the only thing good about it.
>>
>>64583457

I heard stories about a time with no internet
>>
>>64584420
To further this point, here's Liam Neeson's interpretation of the character:

"He's almost like a monk, an old-time warrior who is wise and quite philosophical, yet very skilled in martial arts. He has incredible confidence, as well as a magical quality that enables him to see into the future. He's not really a rebel, but he has his own code."
>>
watching the cartoon series "the clone wars" right now and maybe it's because I'm an idiot but why didn't they just clone the Jedi?

if 1 jedi = 100 battledroids, surely millions of Jedi would win the war right?
>>
>>64583814
kek
>>
>>64583128
>You reckon
Hey Texas how's that inbreeding treating you?
>>
>>64583029

"I have the high ground!"
"Good luck."
>>
>Qui Gon is a radicalist, trained by Dooku, and skirting the light and dark according to council
>they still for some reason let him train Obi the brightest current Jedi and some potential savior or destructor of the force

Jedi Council were complete idiots
>>
>>64584450
Is ambition not enough for you? Because "I want to save girl, girl in no danger, I save girl anyway, oh no girl dead, I want to still be evil" seemed weak.
>>64584493
Hell no, I'd drop the prophecies. Talk of balance could still occur, but I think it'd be interesting if the Jedi believed it had already occurred. The galaxy was at peace until the Clones came into town and started shit. Then Palpatine got into power, started enlisting citizens into the Army, built up the proto-Stormtroopers, dragged the Jedi into fighting (Anakin and Obi-Wan probably joined willingly).

I feel like among the chaos, the Jedi were desperate for someone of Anakin's talents, so went with it that way.
>>64584550
I feel like they should've addressed that too. I can kind of see why not though - it brings a level of unpredictability about the outcome of their training - but it does seem like something we should have heard from the Senate or something.
>>
>>64584749
>Talk of balance could still occur, but I think it'd be interesting if the Jedi believed it had already occurred.
To elaborate, I don't think "balance" means "equal amounts of Jedi and Sith." That's stupid.

But I do think the Sith's resurgence would have led them to realize that shit was out of whack again, so they would have started to make an effort to reattain that balance.
>>
>>64584566
I knew only steers and queers came from Texas.
>>
>>64583056
>Spouts redditlettermedia
>Thinks he has formed his own informed opinion now
>>
>>64584749
>Is ambition not enough for you?
Not really no, not without a rival or an enemy.
>>
>>64583029
He's like. Upper management in his office. He also understands that the right thing isn't always the thing that jives with office policy. He had good intentions hiring a 9 year old to be the future face of the company, but it proved problematic. His disregard for the rules was infectious and it's what allowed Dooku, his former boss and ex-VP of marketing, to manipulate his charge later in life, and eventually led to Anakin's transfer to the executive assistant position under the SheevEO.

He was kind of a hypocrite. He always did what he felt was right rather than the established right path, but at the same stressed composure and calm.

He's the key to all of this.
>>
>>64584566
>>64584814
Hey now. They say "reckon" all over the south. And I think there are gays around here too but they tend to move out due to hostility.

They're hostile towards other people too but I can't be assed to go anywhere.
>>64584996
Well, there's a war going on. And I suspect that in my concept the Clones would still be led by a Sith under the command of Sidious. But only one, a sort of "Proto-Vader" to keep on through all three movies.

All of that would likely push him to want to be better. But still, what's wrong with considering the entire Jedi Order to be his rivals? He begins to see it as a competition to be better than his peers, including Obi-Wan. When he wasn't a Jedi, he wanted to be one so he could be exceptional. But when you become a Jedi, among other Jedi, how then do you become exceptional?
>>
>>64584550
in the force unleashed 2 they say that until that point no-one has been able to clone a force-user (hence all the failed starkiller clones)
>>
>>64583029
Is there such a thing as fatherfu?
>>
He would have been the greatest Jedi ever...

...but he had full blown AIDS.
>>
>>64583029
I don't think anyone didn't like him per say, as he didn't have enough personality to dislike. Or to love for that matter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z29OVZLbZk

despite, he was alright, his fights with darth maul made the movie watchable
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.