[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much time passed in between ANH and ESB? Why is everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13
File: vader.png (678 KB, 710x532) Image search: [Google]
vader.png
678 KB, 710x532
How much time passed in between ANH and ESB? Why is everyone on board this ship deathly afraid of Vader? Why is he now giving commands? Yesterday, I just watched ANH. Vader seemed nicer and was definitely not in charge (Peter Cushing was). In this one, he is already giving orders, killed a General, and promoted Admiral Piett to first in command. What the hell happened? He seemed to have a nonspecific though Imperial-affiliated military role, almost like a mercenary previously. Now he is somehow in charge of the Imperial army and just allowed to kill anyone, including high-ranking officers? In public?
>>
The amount of time between them doesn't matter. The changes in Vader's role in the Empire are because the original Star Wars was not written with Empire in mind. Vader was one of the more iconic things to come out of the original Star Wars and so they wanted to give him a bigger role in Empire.
>>
>>64582141
ANH was 0 BBY

ESB was 3 ABY

So that's three years after the battle of Yavin.
>>
>>64582258
I realize. There was a better way to do it than to just have Vader become the leader of the entire fucking military when in the last movie he's just another guy who happens to have some jedi powers.

>>64582275
So three years? That doesn't seem like much time.
>>
Tarkin and a shitload of other imperial higher ups died on board the Death Star making Vader the big cheese of the Imperial Armada.
>>
>>64582141
Two ways to solve this.

The Real Life version: Vader was a mere general/space samurai during production of "Star Wars" and Lucas expanded his role for "Empire Strikes Back" due to public love for the character

The plausible in-universe way (somewhat compatible with the prequels): for whatever reason Vader is assigned to Tarkin's commandship. He was at the same level as any other Imperial officer, so anyone working under Tarkin was brave enough to not fall to Vader's fear-inducing methods because they have the support and security from Tarkin himself. Vader is later assigned control of his own fleet and army, giving him complete freedom to use and dispose his officers and crew the way he want, like Tarkin had with the Death Star workers. He later oversees Jerjerrod in the sequel, so Jerjerrod is under his direct command and therefore capable of being killed because he gave Vader a bad look, okay?
>>
File: 1451791970991.jpg (14 KB, 502x293) Image search: [Google]
1451791970991.jpg
14 KB, 502x293
Sheev thought he should give his good friend a promotion.
>>
File: imperialwalker.png (1 MB, 1294x572) Image search: [Google]
imperialwalker.png
1 MB, 1294x572
>>64582295
Higher than the general he killed? If the word is to have the same meaning as it does for us, there's only one general and he's the head of the army. So what Vader did is pretty extreme.
Hard to believe but I guess that's the best explanation.

Whose idea was it to have 'imperial walkers' as they call them on a planet covered by ice and snow? I could think of tons of problems with these things. They 'walk' - they could get stuck, fall through snow/ice into water, get stuck between crevices, or get pushed over.
I find this choice of technology weird.
>>
>>64582141
>Why is everyone on board this ship deathly afraid of Vader?
Because he crushes windpipes yo
>>
>>64582141
Lots of high ranking peeps died on the Death Star.

Its clear Vader as high up in ANH, but after anyone near his level is dead and now Vader is basically number 2 in the empire with a huge power gap between anyone else, and Vader can just kill any officer with impunity.
>>
>>64582366
Just found out why they have legs - so Luke could use the brilliant idea of using the ship's tow-cables to ensnare them.
Other than this set up, why else would you have such a stupid piece of technology in a movie?
As if I'm supposed to believe that the empire wasn't aware of THAT weakness in the imperial walkers.
>>
>>64582366
They deployed them just to fuck with the rebels on Hoth
>>
>>64582366
In a galactic wide empire, i'd image there's more than one general.
>>
>>64582141
Do you think Vader ever got stuck in that thing and had to get Imperial officers to unlock it?
>>
File: toostrongforblasters.png (1 MB, 1320x542) Image search: [Google]
toostrongforblasters.png
1 MB, 1320x542
>>64582435
There's only one for the American Empire. But you could be right.

So here. Luke has the bright idea to ensnare the legs of the imperial walkers because he says their armor is too strong for blasters.
Then, the imperial walker trips and falls, and explodes after being hit by just TWO shots from the ships that were shown just thirty seconds ago to be too weak to blast thru its armor.
I don't see why this is everyone's favorite star wars movie. I liked ANH a lot more.

>>64582449
No I wager he could just use the force to open it.
>>
>>64582366
In most militaries there's more than one general and they dont hold the same rank. In the US military a 5 star general is the highest rank in the military. Sometimes in war one man is promoted to general and admiral commanding control of both the army and navy.
>>
>>64582449
I imagine that meditation chamber was comfy as fuck

>big screen monitor
>head massage machine
>direct access to choking anyone who fucked up without having to be there
>nacho cheese dispenser
>scented candle scent dispenser
>>
>>64582366
>Whose idea was it to have 'imperial walkers' as they call them on a planet covered by ice and snow?

General Veers
>>
>>64582479
The US has over 300 active duty generals currently.
>>
>>64582483
Isn't the president the commander in chief of the armed forces?

>>64582529
Seriously??

>>64582523
Ah yes, that retard. It's a miracle he got as far as he did in the empire.
>>
>>64582564
You're thinking of General of the Army or Commandant
>>
No, it doesn't make sense and only happened because viewers liked Vader.

You just have to accept that its a silly space adventure with mistakes in it.
>>
>>64582572
Yeah I am. What is the difference?
>>
>>64582564
The pres is the commander and chef, and the top of the military technically, and command the military, but usually they dont really draw up battle plans and isn't a member of the military, and holds no offcial rank (I think)
>>
>>64582621
Head Chef Obama
>>
>a meme hope is good
it almost killed the franchise
>>
>>64582523
AT-ST are featured in both Endor and Hoth. In TFA we also see Rey using the remans of an AT-AT as her house in Jakku.

The Imperials used AT-AT and AT-ST at any given circunstance. Veers was followinf standard Imperial military logistics and strategies.
>>
>>64582366
If the whole planet is ice year round, thered be so much permafrost that breaking through the ground wouldnt be a serious concern
>>
>>64582402
Armies don't work that way, people would simply have been promoted to fill those roles.
The better explanation is that Vader operates in an extremely unofficial capacity and has as much power as Sheev says he does.
>>
That's why Tarkin should have been at least a supporting character in the prequels. The political/military side of Sheev's rise to power which would also explain why Vater as a shitlord would have to listen to him.
>>
>>64582366
Vader created them so that he would always have the high ground
>>
File: based sheev.jpg (70 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
based sheev.jpg
70 KB, 880x880
>>64582141
Because Vader was the only Deathstar survivor so he got promoted and after destruction of Deathstar Sheev ordered to kill for failures to motivate troops
>>
>>64582769
Why would Vader being given the Executor and at least three Star Destroyers in an unofficial way?
>>
>>64582767
Not necessarily. And who says its ice all year round? Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.

>>64582769
This was the case in ANH. But he wasn't just allowed to kill high ranking officers and he didn't really seem in charge in an official way.

>>64582819
Yup, exactly. I'm really surprised there was no Tarkin in the prequels.

>>64582865
Yeah some other anon offered this suggestion.
>>
>>64582880
>Yup, exactly. I'm really surprised there was no Tarkin in the prequels.

Probably would have required a better thought out fall of the Republic. Which was hamfisted in horribly. Lucas really connected both triologies as rushed and sloppily as possible.
>>
>>64582865
>Vader was the only Deathstar survivor

Is that true then? I thought that guy Chief Bast (remember him, the guy who warned Tarkin there was a slight threat and asked if he wanted his escape craft readied) also survived.
>>
>>64582965
Yup. He absolutely did. It'd be hard to do it worse than he did it. It's sad, too.

>>64582994
Did he? Do we ever see him again in any other movie?
Is desertion allowed in the Empire? I'd wager no. I figure he died with everyone on it.
>>
>>64582994
No. Tarkin not allowed to escape. Everybody died in explosion
>>
>>64582877
"Hey Vader, you're now the supreme commander of a small fleet, go find the Rebels who blew up the Death Star."
>>
>>64582141
>Michael Sheard as Admiral Ozzel

He was Hitler in Jones & the Last Crusade, Mr Bronson in Grange Hill and Herr Grunwald in Auf Widersehen Pet too. You've really got to wonder just how fortunate one actor can be.
>>
>>64583074
>Ozzel is Hitler and Veers a mere Nazi officer in Indy 3
pottery
>>
>>64582141

Tarkin is a governor, he outranks Vader.

In ANH Vader is among a group of high ranking Imperials, he's just there as the representative of the Imperial military.

In ESB Vader is on a mission to track down the rebels, we see him in his own environment managing his own minions. Hence he has absolute power.

In the original draft of ROTJ there was another Grand Moff like Tarkin who outranks Vader but the character was reduced to being the officer guy Vader intimidates at the beginning of the movie.
>>
>>64582819
I've always felt Kenobi should have been a general under Organa (you know, as it was implied in ANH) and that Anakin (not as a general) should have served under Tarkin.
>>
File: Jerjerrod-hd.jpg (66 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
Jerjerrod-hd.jpg
66 KB, 500x654
>>64583170
Jerjerrod was such a pussy. Based Tarkin forever in our hearths
>>
The scene of Darth Vader's TIE Fighter spinning out of control was added late in the film at the insistence of George Lucas. Other members of the film crew were opposed to including this shot, feeling that it set up a sequel (at the time sequels were generally regarded as inferior cash-in movies), but Lucas insisted upon its inclusion nonetheless.
>>
>>64583191
Geez literally anybody can make better prequels than Lucas
>>
>>64582819

>That's why Tarkin should have been at least a supporting character in the prequels

holy shit how much of a pleb am I to have never thought of this criticism before
>>
>>64583191

Well that would require the Jedi being an elite military strike force like they were originally intended to be instead of a weird creepy cult that abducts and indoctrinates children. So that just couldn't be.
>>
>Harrison Ford found the dialogue to be very difficult, later saying, "You can type this shit, but you can't say it."

Oh wow, this explains why his acting seems to bad and unnatural in ANH.
>>
File: 1442530627095.jpg (38 KB, 393x836) Image search: [Google]
1442530627095.jpg
38 KB, 393x836
>>64582529
DUDE $10000 BASE PAY LMAO, they put pay charts in the barracks, it dont cost to be the boss in the military
>>
>>64583105

Julian Glover is also Grand Maester Pycelle in Game of Thrones. As a "bookfriend" he once spoiled the shit out of the organizers of a panel on which he was appearing because he assumed they knew as much as he did, bless him...
>>
>>64583220
Originally Star Wars was supposed to have 12 movies and they put all 12 movies in one movie but then they wanted to make sequels. Star Wars is so ucked up
>>
File: tarkin.jpg (28 KB, 350x477) Image search: [Google]
tarkin.jpg
28 KB, 350x477
>>64582819
Iam glad they actually didn't ruin based Tarkin like all other OT characters
>>
>>64582141
Simple.

In ANH, he's palling around with Tarkin, who's the one guy in essentially the galaxy that's equal rank to Vader, so he's willing to defer to him. With no Moffs or Grand Moffs around, Vader had no reason to defer to anyone
>>
>>64582141
Meh. Even in ANH Cushing wasnt "in charge" of Vader. Vader and Tarkin are pretty much equals, but they are on Tarkin's command base. Tarkin never actually ORDERS Vader around. He just says "That's enough, Vader".

Kind of the same thing they have going in TFA. The admiral and Kylo are sort of parallel in power.

The difference is Tarkin and Vader respect each other, Ren and Hux are in a power struggle.
>>
>>64583308
Well, that idea obviously only makes sense if the prequels were to be handled competently.
>>
>>64583308
B-but Tarkin was reborn as an astormech droid, anon...
>>
Any problems you have with this movie:

In 2010, George Lucas sent Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, the executive producers of TV's Lost (2004), a letter congratulating them on the show's end and letting them in on some (possibly facetious) secrets about his development of the Star Wars movie series: "Don't tell anyone ... but when 'Star Wars' first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories - let's call them homages - and you've got a series."
>>
File: thestarwarsvader.jpg (444 KB, 621x641) Image search: [Google]
thestarwarsvader.jpg
444 KB, 621x641
In rought draft Vader was degraded officer to stormtrooper. That's why he wears armor, he was supposed to be stormtrooper captain
>>
>>64583308
>Young Han Solo is disgusted of dogs
>Young Tarkin has a struggle against Alderaanians
>Young Lando loves mining
>Young Mon Motthra has a love affair with Manny Bothans
>Young Ackbar spends time watching masturbating to selfies of confusing looking people
>>
File: 1432529953885.png (398 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1432529953885.png
398 KB, 792x540
>>64582720

Actually no. AT-AT are long range artillery that can also transport things.

They were used on Hoth because extreme cold made it hard for speeders. Remember how Rebels needed days to convert their speeders so they could be used there?

Stupid games and other EU shit made Empire use AT-AT every time because they were made by retards.
>>
>>64583415

>I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance
>implying this is a surprise to anybody

"A young jedi named Darth Vader"
"You can't win, Darth"
>>
>>64583415
Many shows aren't planned out ahead. I was surprised f.e. how little Breaking Bad was thought out in advance. I guess it shows a little, but keeping that in mind it's surprising it didn't turn into literal dog shit as Battlestar Galactica did.

And LOST.
>>
>>64583396
How are you reborn as a droid?
>>
>>64582865

Vader is the reason why Death Star was destroyed.

It was his idea to let Falcon go so they could track them to Rebel base.

It's really fucking stupid that he's in charge now. But they did it because he was so popular after SW. That's really the only reason.
>>
>>64583191
>Obi-Wan trains and knights Anakin
>They get different assignments heading into the Clone War
>Anakin serves under Tarkin
>Tarkin introduces Anakin to fascist ideology
>When the Republic is reconstructed into an Empire Anakin is an Imperialist and betrays the Jedi

Fucking George Lucas.
>>
>>64583074
>>64583105

And retards claim TFA started the space Nazis crap.
>>
>>64583509
Nobody says that.
They're saying it was too much of it.
>>
>>64583492
It would have added so much more meat to their fateful confrontation before Vader's defeat.
>>
>>64582141
Vader's position was always unique and outside the ordinary structure of the empire, which is why some people felt they could try their luck with Vader. Tarkin got away with bossing him around because a) he was in charge of the death star and thus one of the empire's most important operations and b) Vader respected him, and c) he had Sheev's support.

There's a deleted scene from RotJ where Moff Jerejod talks shit to Vader and survives because he was doing it on Sheev's orders. As powerful as Vader was, he couldn't deny Sheev, so anyone that had Sheev's backing was ok. That was the case of Tarkin in IV
>>
>>64582290
>So three years? That doesn't seem like much time.
Really? Because 2015 seemed to last an eternity.
>>
>ESB is the best film in the OT
>>
>>64582141
>What the hell happened?
Chain of command. Vader was not in charge at the Death Star, but he was in command of a whole battle group in ESB.
>>
>>64582564
>Veers
>retard

The only imperial officer that shows any sort of competence and smashes the fuck out of the rebels.
>>
File: Cap056.jpg (37 KB, 691x485) Image search: [Google]
Cap056.jpg
37 KB, 691x485
>>64583430
What's the sauce on this pic? Is there actually a comic based upon an early screenplay?

Because I would very much like to read that.
>>
>>64583571
>There's a deleted scene from RotJ

Iam glad they deleted it because it's so retarded

Vader had order to guard Sheev and Moff was "move out!" be chocked and start crying like bitch "that's Shev's order" and Vader was "ok let's go then. Gee why he didn't say "Sheev want to see me" or something at first
>>
File: imag0848.jpg (845 KB, 2592x1552) Image search: [Google]
imag0848.jpg
845 KB, 2592x1552
>>64583670
Yes there is comic based on rought draft
>>
>>64583430

Why was Dustin Hoffman in this comic
>>
>>64583275
Generals make 180k a year on average, don't know what you're going on about.
>>
>>64583758
Who else would play a perfect jackass?
>>
IT
IS
A
MOVIE
MADE
FOR
KIDS
>>
>>64583805

It's not but OK
>>
>>64583805
No it was a family movie that's difference
>>
>>64582564
The analogue to the president would be the Emperor
>>
>>64582141
He did such a fantastic job protecting the death star in IV that he was promoted and given his own ship.
>>
>>64583821
>>64583827
I bet you both watch anime.
>>
>>64582621
The President's official rank is Commander and Chief, but he's a civilian not a member of the military. However, if he wanted to draw up battle plans he could. Presidents don't generally draw up battle plans because they're not stupid enough to try.
>>
>>64583880

Nope.
>>
>>64583880
I despise anime
>>
>>64582854
underrated
>>
>>64583922
But I bet you just looove the SW cgi cartoons, you filthy Gelfling!
>>
>>64584005
No I've never watch that shit
>>
The REAL reason why Vader was more important in TESB?

He leveled up. Lucas is a closet D&D fag.
>>
>>64584021
Good for you. It's canon though. So, by watching any SW, you're actually watching cartoon-tier shit.
>>
>>64582290

A ton of important military officers like Tarkin were killed on the Death Star. Vader gained greater authority as a result because he had fewer superiors to which he had to defer
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
>>64584040
>>
>>64582508
nice
>>
>>64583670
its called the star wars, on /co/ they have a star wars thread where you can download it free
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.