[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a star wars film for people who don't like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 480x320
>it's a star wars film for people who don't like Star Wars

Straight shit. I love all 7 Episodes. Just bc it was good enough to attract new viewers doesn't mean it's not worthy, or not Star Wars. It felt like Star Wars, not like JJ, Star Wars. And that's what we've wanted since Return of the Jedi, it delivered and there is another.
>>
>>64576074
Just ignore these shit opinions mate.

They only hate what is popular here.
>>
And that's your opinion OP.
But in my opinion this is Star Wars for the next generation, and it's leaving us old fans behind.

I hope you enjoy the upcoming Star Wars films, and I wish that I could.

Have fun OP.
>>
>>64576074
I thought it was a fun romp. The type of blockbuster I expect out of JewJew.
>>
>>64576074
>it's a star wars film for NORMIES
>it's a MARKETABLE star wars movie
Yeah it's mind boggling. Totally don't get it.
>>
>>64576074
your opinion is wrong
>>
>>64576138
The right way to disagree.

>>64576204
The reddit way.
>>
I don't know how anyone could say it doesn't feel like Star Wars when it's such a retread of ANH. I hope the next movies are a bit more originalk, but I'm glad Star Wars is back to being about smugglers, bounty hunters, and rebels on the fringes of society fighting against an authoritarian regime. Plus the Force is back to being a mystical religion and Force users have their mystique back instead of running around everywhere being the Galactic police force.
>>
Why is Star Wars put on such a pedestal? I like it but they are far from perfect flicks. Why do people hold it to such a high standard? Is it because they fuck up their nostalgia? I don't really get it, my family.
>>
Show me where it feels like Star Wars and not a Marvel superhero film. Its fine if you like it...i dont really care but i want you to go back and watch the OT and even the prequels and critically compare and contrast the first 6 to 7. Especially the OT. 7 is nothing like any of them. The whole SW movie for non SW fans is actually a fitting description.
>>
>people complain it isn't like Star Wars
>same people complain it's too much like A New Hope

lol, people are just jaded it wasn't exactly what they wanted. Strong women also terrify most of /tv/.
>>
File: 1452117034309.jpg (139 KB, 800x432) Image search: [Google]
1452117034309.jpg
139 KB, 800x432
>>64576074
I am just going to leave this here.
>>
It only sort of feels like Star Wars because it copy pasted ANH's plot (with added holes) and has OT characters in it. Other than that it's literally a Marvel movie with its breakneck pace, lack of meaningful character interaction and quippy humour. Perfect for retarded millennials with a 10 second attention span who think the OT movies are slow and kind of boring
>>
>>64576419
How does rehashing a plot line create the feel of Star Wars though? The plot doesnt create the characters, or the visuals or even the settings. All it is is an overarching objective within the story.
>>
>>64576419
strong womyn, more like mary sue.
>>
>>64576419
You got it right.
>wah it's not Star Wars fucking hack
>wah it's Star Wars you fucking hack

>>64576379
JJ nailed the stormtroopers and the first order
He nailed Chewy and Han
He nailed BB8
He nailed Kylo
Kanjiclub
>>
>>64576516

>1138 coincidences

i appreciate the anon who wrote that. i smiled
>>
>>64576670
i caught it too. more subtle than abrams
>>
>>64576564
>the plot doesn't create the visuals

No, but it does dictate them. The look was there. The Falcon was perfect, the First Order sets were Star Wars as fuck, the cantina felt right. The only thing that felt out of place to me was kanjiclub scene with the cgi monsters. You're jaded, friendo.
>>
>>64576138
We knew that was how it had to be if they are going to introduce new characters and connect things to the OT. The next two Episodes could allow the lore to breathe more I'm intrigued by the move to let Johnson write and direct Episode VIII

>>64576316
It's a fantasy comedy space opera samurai western, I wonder why
>>
>>64576731
At first I thought so but the kanjiclub subtitles were throwback as fuck to Jabba and it's nice to see the same old Han from Jedi
>>
>I fucking hate the Force Awakens
>I can't wait to see episode 8 to see if they fix it
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 480x320
>>64576516
>Han phoning it in
But that's not what happened and you fucking know it
>>
File: 1435551743401.png (917 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435551743401.png
917 KB, 1280x720
The first three movies really show the influence of Kurosawa. They're well paced, and very pretty in a turn of the decade sci-fi way.

Beyond that the movies are worthwhile only for giving glimpses into and expanding the Star Wars univers. The Force Awakens just has no fucking imagination behind it. It's worthy of the comparison to capeshittery because those movies also exhibit a distinct lack of imagination.
>>
>>64576516
It's sad that this is true. Why couldn't Disney leave this shit alone, or at least let Lucas do whatever the fuck he wanted? Do they love money so much that they wouldn't bat an eye at destroying something like SW.

Maybe the prequels were not as good as we wanted them to be, but at least they tried to do something other just grab money.
>>
File: 1439553713330.jpg (145 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1439553713330.jpg
145 KB, 720x960
>>64576811
Rian Johnson has to fix Abrams fuckups as well ass build the new trilogy's "Empire Strikes Back". JJ might've been able to get away with aping ANH, but Empire is a whole different beast.
>>
>>64576944
I agree that the prequels best aspect is worldbuilding they work best as a type of flashback, space fairytale esque that would be talked about as myth.

But in calling episode VII shit like that you are comparing an entire trilogy to one film. Yes ANH is similar to TFA and that's why you need to calm your shit and watch the next two before you make a decision bc most of what happened in the OT happened in Empire and Jedi

>>64576957
Same goes for you, watch episode VIII whenever you feel like and see if it's worth it before you drop the trilogy. What's good about the OT is the different direction
>>
>>64577113
We shall see it's a good sign he's the sole writer of VIII and IX. Maybe his creative juices will flow like kasdans did
>>
>>64576731
Ehhh i dont know if i agree with any of that. Even the Falcon felt off. Especially in the interior of the falcon.

>>>64576379
>JJ nailed the stormtroopers and the first order
I'd agree about the ST's but not the FO overall. The felt far more campy then the Empire.
>He nailed Chewy and Han
Sure, benefits from OT
>He nailed BB8
Sure
>He nailed Kylo
Debateable. I think he built a good foundation.
>Kanjiclub
No

Characters dont change the fact though that there is little to no exposition. It was action set piece after action set piece with some stupid quippy dialouge in between. No room for the film to breathe or for any meaningful interactions to take place like in the OT or even some points of the prequels. There was almost know originality to the film at all. No fucking soul at all. Thats not good.
>>
>>64576944
There is a lot of John Ford in the OT too
>>
>>64576074
ROTJ was absolute shit though
>>
>>64577616
He nailed absolutely nothing NOTHING
JJ is an hack a fraud and a liar
He is Reddit : the director
this stupid flick will be forgotten in one month.
it is a Disney capeshit and JJ couldnt nail anything
>>
>>64576516
>1138

underrated post right there
>>
>>64577616
It's an exact replica of the Falcon. How can it be off?
>>
Star Wars has always been okay in my book–like yeah, lightsabers are kinda cool and Darth Vader was a cool villain even if he's overplayed these days. So I liked it, but it was never anything truly special to me. I watched the first six movies exactly once and pretty much left it at that.

But with Episode VII... I dunno. It's a rehash in the worst way of previous bits and pieces of Star Wars, for sure, but it's somehow MY rehash. The best way that I can explain it is in terms of Pokémon games. Every generation is just a slightly improved rehash of the same old gameplay, but everyone has their favorite generation.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm the next generation of fan that >>64576138 is speaking of.
>>
File: borderlands.gif (833 KB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
borderlands.gif
833 KB, 245x187
>>64576516
>1138
>>
>>64576957
>Do they love money so much that they wouldn't bat an eye at destroying something like SW.
I'm almost tempted to vote for Sanders in hopes that he takes a fat shit on these fucking kikes.
>>
>>64577787
There's no way you're older than 15.
>>
>>64577885
I'll be 22 next month.
>>
File: disgusted kitten.png (661 KB, 804x451) Image search: [Google]
disgusted kitten.png
661 KB, 804x451
>>64577914
>this is your generations star wars

speaking as part of your generation, you are subjectively wrong and you should vacate this mortal coil post haste

faggot
>>
>>64577962
I never said it was my generation's Star Wars. I said that I was part of the new fan generation. That has nothing to do with age. A new fan could be 10 or 80.
>>
>>64577151
It's true that I'm being somewhat hasty. However, my reasons are as follows:

A) The generic visual direction
-Did the stormtrooper - nazi connection need to be made even more expilcit?
-The planet environments and glimpses of alien culture were much duller than any of the other movies

These two primary points have essentially removed any serious interest I would have for future movies. I'll watch them, but I don't expect them to be much better unless something radical occurs.

B) The lackluster writing
-Overuse of themes from the first in place of original creation
-The self awareness in some of the quips was almost physically painful to hear
>>
>>64578034
but we can all agree than anyone who identifies as a "star wars fan" is cancer as per OP pic
>>
It's capeshit wars is what it is you faggot

Nu Wars are for the modern addle brained masses
>>
>>64578081
depends on what kind of star wars fan
>>
>>64577787
>reading this gave me cancer'
Please post your address so I can send you my medical bills
>>
>>64578095
Star Wars was never a highbrow intellectual film series, you know. It's always been "Capeshit Wars," since day one.
>>
File: whatthefuckamireading.png (516 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckamireading.png
516 KB, 640x480
>>64578081
i would argue that the point that people started discussing aspects of what has traditionally been associated as 'geek culture' beyond online fourms and specified congregations, geek nexuses, and in the privacy of their homes is the point that it went to shit. i won't say that when it went 'mainstream' starting in the late 2000s is when it became unbearable, but it was at that point that 'normies' became more aware of this sub aspect of american culture.

but then im talking out of my ass on a Portuguese ceramic glazing social
>>
>>64578197
>>
>>64578217

It wasn't produced on a structured basis like an assembly line with set dates and derived from rehashed material

this is the end game of generation turn your brain off
>>
>>64578238

hey that's my address too :^)
>>
>>64576153

> Star Wars was never for normies

You are fucking delusional
>>
>>64578040
Valid criticisms the planet and spaceship designs are better in all other movies. this can only get better in the next ones.

The nazi thing was always implied aesthetically and technically but the empire was more of just a totalitarian society. JJ hams it up bc he's a Jew and bc his direction he explicitly stated what would it be like if nazis went to Argentina at the end of the war and fought amongst themselves to rebuild it. Fine they are on the outer rim and since they've lost they've upped their propaganda and nazism/Stalinism. You can like it or hate it. The writing shouldn't be as in your face about it in the next one as the climate should be more engrained and they should just fall into the background like they did in the OT
>>
>>64578217
Movies aren't just divided into highbrow intellectual ones and capeshit.

Star Wars was a simple tale of good and evil with sincere, relatable characters that were developed well

Capeshit is a style over substance pile of shit that sacrifices character interaction for pointless action scenes and dialogue for humorous quips

TFA is closer to the latter
>>
>>64578252
With all the idiocy going on in the world today, is the tipping point for you really that they structured the Star Wars reboot so rigidly?

>>64578273
spooky
>>
>>64578320
It's does the latter better than the prequels, sheev memes aside he's great but serious about dat Galaxy. TFA did the lightheartedness of the OT better than the PT and it had enough soul of the OT partly due to Harrison to continue to story
>>
>>64578320
>Star Wars
>well-developed characters
u wot m8?

Fixed:
>Star Wars 1-6 were simple tales of good and evil with sincere, relatable characters
>Star Wars 7 was a simple tale of good and evil with sincere, relatable characters

It's pretty much the same shit.
>>
>>64578408
Last I checked most women are emotional tyrants not mary sues, gtfo. Also without fail villains that have tantrums and whine are horrible villains, faggots who think kylo ren have depth need to lobotomize themselves
>>
File: PA-7966337.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1989) Image search: [Google]
PA-7966337.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1989
>>64578290

Sorry but, yeah?
>>
>>64578572

Are you implying those aren't normies waiting for Jedi?
>>
>>64578408
Luke - a simple farm boy who dreams about space adventures, gets his ass kicked a couple times, but works hard and becomes the last Jedi Knight

Han - an asshole smuggler who only cares about himself and money falls in love and becomes a Rebel war hero

Both simple but done well, also we see how at first they dislike each other, then they go through some shit together and form a closer bond before becoming good friends. Meanwhile in TFA

Rey - my personality begins and ends with I'm good at everything and everybody likes me

Finn - I don't like killing so I'll leave the First Order while killing them in bunches before being reduced to bad comic relief for the rest of the movie

They meet, Rey beats the shit out of him, they run from two TIE fighters and become best friends 10 minutes after first meeting and fighting. It feels forced, rushed and fake
>>
>>64576138
>this is Star Wars for the next generation

not outside the US it isn't
>>
>>64578549

Pls stop watching movies and stick to video games

>>64578599
This is so fuckong obnoxious, you're comparing characters that have three films worth of characterization versus characters who have but one, and even then of the four you listen Finn is probably the most unique of the characters with the most going on.
>>
>>64578599
Seriously doesn't Transformers have better character development? I haven't watched TMNT. I wouldn't be surprised if that has better character dev too.
>>
>>64578681
No, jesus christ
>>
>>64578641
You're such an obvious reddit faggot its not even funny
>>
>>64578681
I guess Rey learns to let go of Jakku but it feels very unsatisfying because the very notion of her family coming back is retarded and she doesn't struggle with anything in the movie
>>
File: jim.jpg (5 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
jim.jpg
5 KB, 224x225
>>64578707
>He posted an opinion that I don't agree with!
>Quick, call him a Redditor!
>>
>>64576419
Direction, cinematography and acting was far from new hope. Character traits (reys situation on desert planet) Vader killing the obiwan being close to han and kylo and obi wan was most like a father figure to him given the age, despite referring to each other as brothers or good friends, finding droid with secret plans that bad guys want, etc. Visually JJ, premise and plot points ANH, and acting simply JUST
>>
>>64578761
I'm drunk so excuse some of the bad phrasing here but I think you guys will get what I'm trying to say
>>
>>64576138
It's definitely a modern movie, but I think there's enough for the old fans to like. I mean we're getting obi-wan/yoda Luke in VII so that alone should excite fans of the OT. As for VI, yeah it was a bit jarring to watch the OT feel a certain way for decades but that's just it, it's been decades. Movies have changed a lot and this movies shows how. They're faster, 'funnier,' and have cgi action scenes.

I don't fault it for those aspects changing with the times, as long as the message and star wars feels are there.
>>
>>64578756
>>64578760
>obvious samefag is obvious
Rey's parent love is so fucking shallow you may as well announce to the world you're a complete fucking moron bringing that into an argument. None of the characters in TFA even have motivation
>>
>>64578809
Anyone who claims to be an OT fan and like TFA should probably kill themselves. TFA shits all over everything that happened in the OT. Han becomes a piece of shit and leaves his one and only love in the universe, Luke becomes a complete fucking pussy and Leia is a complete joke compared to her OT counterpart.

Not only that TFA completely fucking irreparably damages the star wars mythos, effectively making all the struggles Jedi and Sith have gone through completely pointless, meaingless and just generally garbage
>>
>>64578836

Lmao different guy posted that reply but whatever faggot, shout reddit abd then double down on your faggotry and retardation so you can share your epic memes woth your middle school m8s tomorrow morning.

Also you have no fuckong.idea what motivation means for a character don't you? Because they literally all have very simple to follow motivations
>>
>>64578901

> muh characters didn't get a happily ever after
>>
File: Untitled 2.png (33 KB, 1244x107) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 2.png
33 KB, 1244x107
>>64578836
Swing and miss. I wasn't even defending TFA's awful characters
>>
>>64578836
>posts were only ten seconds apart
>calls samefag
Yeah, okay...
>>
>>64576074

It felt like Star Wars purely but it also felt like A New Hope because of all the rehashes. I'll have to see the 2nd film to discern whether it felt like Star Wars because J.J genuinely captured the feel of the franchise, or just because it drew a lot more than inspiration from Episode IV.
>>
File: 1366142725895.jpg (84 KB, 435x326) Image search: [Google]
1366142725895.jpg
84 KB, 435x326
>>64578901
>>
>>64578290
The prequels were not for normies.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.