[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the purpose of this scene?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
File: duel2.jpg (67 KB, 600x258) Image search: [Google]
duel2.jpg
67 KB, 600x258
What was the purpose of this scene?
>>
So you could discuss it on a vietnamese cheese appreciation board
>>
To illustrate that despite Obi Wan being a fantastic duelist, Vader's supernatural strength was enough to overpower him.

In terms of Lucas-patented Visual Poetry, it serves to call forward to the duel between Vader and Luke in Empire, where Luke lunges, striking with all his might, and Vader easily parries with a single hand.
>>
>>64573110
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64573158
Shouldn't it have been mirorring something from ANH though?
>>
>>64573242
As in the Ring Theory? Then it would be mirroring the joking of Captain Antilles in the first scene of ANH.

Speaking of, it recently struck me that they actually could have done the prequels without spoiling ESB's big revelation, but it would require serious jiggery-pokery in Revenge of the Sith. Essentially, RotS would have to end with everybody, the hypothetical chronological-order-audience included, believing Anakin had died. That way, the twist in ESB isn't that this monster is Luke's father, it's that this monster is actually what's left of our erstwhile hero Anakin.
>>
>>64573110
AAAAAHH HELP ME YODA!
>>
>>64573451

Go to bed shamalan
>>
>>64573451
I never made the ANH choking scene connection.
That's pretty good, anon.
>>
>>64573110
F-F-FUCK I HAVE A RAGING BONER RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>64573563
>>64573451
It fits too, end of the movie and start of the mirrored one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
>>
>>64573110
Create fake tension for the audience despite knowing who would eventually win the duel
>>
>>64573451
*the choking

>the joking of captain antilles

"So then I said to him, if this is a consular ship, pffft, get this, no, no, so I said, if this is a consular ship... where's the ambassador! And then he died. True story!"
"That's nice, Annie."
>>
>>64573615
I've seen that a million times and I still watched it again.

It really is impressive.
>>
>>64573816
The music really sells it just like Star Wars you could say
>>
>>64573908
It honestly was perfect.

Here's another video you'd probably enjoy if you haven't already seen it.
https://youtu.be/8VdcMWWh3s0
>>
>>64573995
Honestly the way everything fits together in the overarching plot is very nice, even though I might not agree with the individual scenes
>>
>>64573451
Interesting, but wouldn't the Good Friend scene be really weird
>Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine
>Darth Vader murdered your father
People would b confused how Obi already knows and trained this seemingly random person
>>
>>64573110
Darth Vader chokes people, get it?
>>
>>64574265
It's clear Lucas thought this shit through.
People give him way too much grief.
He is literally one of the most important people to ever have worked in cinema.
>Pixar
>Lucasfilm
>ILM
>THX
>Non-linear editing
He actually changed the way movies are made.
>>
>>64574317
Damn, that's a good point. And that's really a scene you can't touch with a 30 foot pole, it's a goddamn third rail.

Well, it was a thought.
>>
>>64573110
So I could have wet dreams of me choking Ewan and have him cum all over me obviously.
>>
>>64573158
>supernatural strength
>robot arm

Gungan, please
>>
>>64573451
Literally EVERYONE'S idea of how the prequels should have gone is better than what actually happened.

That said, I love this idea. Anakin should have just flat out died and Vader should not have been in the pt period.
>>
>>64574440
oops I got the arms backwards
>>
>>64573639
kekd
>>
to show that they were good friends
>>
>>64573615
that actually made me appreciate the prequels a little more desu anon
thanks for this I've not seen before
>>
>>64574572
>IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO
>>
>>64574366
>Non-linear editing
what exactly does this mean?
>>
>>64574705
It means you can jump to any part of the movie and do shit.
Before Lucas movies had to be edited from beginning to end with no jumping back.
>>
>>64574843
oh that machine they invented yes? can't place the name
I remember seeing something about that in doumentary
wasn't sure exactly what it was

that is a major leap in film making there
thanks anon
>>
>>64573110
is that annie?
>>
>>64575026
:)
>>
>>64574843
While I don't really respect Lucas as a director (and for being a douchebag with the OT), I really do appreciate what he and his team at Lucasfilm have done for the industry.
>>
>>64575393
I wonder how the prequels would have gone had the fans not unanimously rejected JarJar after TPM and caused them to create Dooku in a hurry to replace him
>>
File: dooku lightsaber.png (838 KB, 1440x816) Image search: [Google]
dooku lightsaber.png
838 KB, 1440x816
>>64575464
I really wish he had just completely scrapped Jar Jar and made Dooku from the start, would've been interesting having him be the real "phantom menace" or showing his descent to the dark side.

Every time I see these movies I feel sad about how much wasted potential there was in having Christopher Lee in these movies, he should have been giving Qui Gon some guidance while also having his own disagreements with the council (similar to Qui Gon). Hell Qui Gon should have been Dooku and fallen to the dark side (given how crooked he acted) while convincing Anakin and Obi Wan to join him.
>>
>>64575627
The prequels are good ideas and cool concepts completely wasted; the trilogy. I personally don't have a hateboner for them like a lot of people do. They're...adequate at times. There are a lot of cool underlying themes and ideas that exist in them (especially RotS) but aren't explored or are done poorly. I see what they could have been in what they actually are and find some enjoyment out of that.
>>
>>64575756
Same

And rewatching the OT after the prequels, TCW, clone wars and sheevposting nearly brought a tear to my eyes when I was watching the good friend scene
>>
>>64575756
I do the same, I went from liking them to hating them to being content with them being mediocre but still liking the concepts and laughing at the bad acting.

I still think Episode I is the closest to being a Star Wars film but Jar Jar really does ruin it greatly.
>>
>>64575756
I still really enjoy them as fun movies and love the universes they made.
Hell most of the really good extended universe stuff is based on the clone wars era.
>>
>>64575627
>>64575756
>>64575834
>>64575890
>>64575944
The Revenge of the Sith novel by Matthew Stover is a perfect example of how great that movie could have been if it'd been done properly. If you haven't read it I highly suggest it. It's much, much better than the movie itself.
>>
>>64576039
What are some of the differences between the book and the movie?
You've got my attention.
>>
>>64576039
Is it canon?
>>
>>64574345
I bet he choked his wife during sex, he's into that bdsm shit
>>
>>64576065
"The Clone Wars were the perfect Jedi trap.
By fighting at all, the Jedi lost.
With the Jedi Order overextended, spread thin across the galaxy, each Jedi is alone,
surrounded only by whatever clone troops he, she, or it commands. War itself pours
darkness into the Force, deepening the cloud that limits Jedi perception. And the clones
have no malice, no hatred, not the slightest ill intent that might give warning. They are only
following orders.
In this case, Order Sixty-Six.
Hold-out blasters appear in clone hands. ARC-170s drop back onto the tails of Jedi star
fighters. AT-STs swivel their guns. Turrets on hovertanks swung silently.
Clones open fire, and Jedi die.
All across the galaxy. All at once.
Jedi die."

Just an example from it

>>64576079
I'm going to say no, it's not. But it's still better than the movie.
>>
>>64573110
>when you nutted an he still force sucking
>>
I still love the duel from TPM, even if it's over-choreographed the setting is really cool plus the camera work looks more like Star Wars than that of Episode 2 and 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
>>
>>64576184
I may give it a read.
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>64576184
>>64576184
fugg the matthew stover episode 3 book is easily the best star wars book out there.

the fucking darkness poem is feels incarnate

The dark is generous.
Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding from the truths of others.
The dark protects us from what we dare not know.
Its second gift is comforting illusion: the ease of gentle dreams in night’s embrace, the beauty that imagination brings to what would repel in the day’s harsh light. But the greatest of its comforts is the illusion that dark is temporary: that every night brings a new day. Because it’s the day that is temporary.
Day is the illusion.
Its third gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self.
With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The dark is generous, and it is patient.
It is the dark that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt.
The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout.
The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light.
The dark’s patience is infinite.
Eventually, even stars burn out.

The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun, and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.
The brightest light cast the darkest shadow
>>
>>64576253
(continued)

The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.”
>>
File: Darth Sidious and Vader.jpg (31 KB, 549x653) Image search: [Google]
Darth Sidious and Vader.jpg
31 KB, 549x653
>>64576253
Exactly. The entire theme to RotS is the Sith evolved and darkness overwhelms light eventually. At one point in the fight between Yoda and Sidious he realizes that the Sith had evolved and grown stronger beneath the nose of the Jedi while they stayed stagnant. They had trained for a thousand years to fight the Sith from 1,000 years ago while the Sith had evolved. The Emperor is the culmination of a 1,000 year dynasty to destroy the Republic and the Jedi and Yoda admits that he'd lost before he was born because the outcome was inevitable.

Then the scene with Anakin turning into Vader has him fully come to realize just how badly he's ruined both his life and the lives of everyone close to him. He's now a slave to the man who tricked him into destroying the galaxy.

10/10 book. Highly recommend.
>>
>>64576364
>that fucking picture
Its like a shitty father son photo where the dad is trying to look cool for his son.
kek.
>>
>>64576364
>>64576253
It also gives Anakin a motive for his sudden desire to be a Jedi Master: Only Masters have access to the vault where Sith Holocrons are kept, including the Holocron of Plagueis. Palpatine's stories have lead him to believe that he can use the Holocron to save Padme, and it's this obsession that blinds him to Palpatine's true nature until it's truly too late.

Also, it's been a while, but I remember the book version of the "Is Padme alright?" scene being fucking amazing.
>>
Star wars:
>>64573615

Disney:
Rey wears Luke's helmet and acts cute
"What about that one?" "Oh that one's garbage!"
Melted Vader mask
Giant Death Star
>>
>>64576574
It's a much better product. The author uses second person narrative to describe Anakin, Obi-wan, Mace, and later Vader. The scene you're referring to is built up immensely (along with the fight between Anakin and Obi-wan, which is much more emotional than the movie) and it's damn good.

I guess novels will just always be better.
>>
>>64573615
This video is worth watching just for the music
>>
for selling Vader merch in the 21st century
>>
>>64576364
the part where they confront sheev is awesome. dude is literally a blur and cuts down two masters before they can blink. then when windu is dueling him he does his shatterpoint stuff where he finds peoples ultimate weaknesses and he figures out sheevs is anakins. plus it makes it a fact that sheev did indeed throw the fight
>>
File: kylo ren flipping out.gif (3 MB, 300x150) Image search: [Google]
kylo ren flipping out.gif
3 MB, 300x150
>>64576436
I wish there was one with Kylo Ren and Han Solo, I love how they made him into an angry manchild.
>>
>>64574454
>Anakin should have just flat out died
You don't understand Star wars at all
>>
>>64576774
Yeah, but it lacks memes so /tv/ wouldn't like it as much.
>>
File: sheev seducing anakin.gif (485 KB, 380x214) Image search: [Google]
sheev seducing anakin.gif
485 KB, 380x214
>>64576821
>throne room scene
>lacking memes
nigga what
>>
>>64576889
There's an edit of this with Annie's face pasted
>>
>>64576889
The novelization of the scene.
>>
>>64573615
Wow... it actually does rhyme.
>>
>>64576777
>DAD GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY ROOM
>>
>>64576574
>the Jedi didn't know the Sith still existed until palpie sheeved all over them
>they have his master's holocron
what
>>
>>64576436
It looks like a wrestling promo picture.
>>
File: UUUUAAAARRRAAAAHHH.gif (2 MB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
UUUUAAAARRRAAAAHHH.gif
2 MB, 320x239
>>64579005
>it's shocking then
>>
File: aniki is sleeping.png (214 KB, 472x357) Image search: [Google]
aniki is sleeping.png
214 KB, 472x357
>>64579005
Depending on the kind of "wrestling" you are talking about, we will get something similar this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qYz139G6LI
>>
>>64573451
Everyone would've seen the OT previously.
If you don't watch in order of release you are autistic
Seriously people watching it in 4 5 1 2 3 6
If you were a kid and saw the prequels first as they came out then it's fine
>>
>>64573995
literally Shakespeare
>>
File: 1445939072550.png (2 MB, 987x915) Image search: [Google]
1445939072550.png
2 MB, 987x915
>>64576217
>0:56
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64573615
Literally copying your own scenes from 30 years ago isn't really deep or impressive, the only one which is actually cool the one at 1:38.

Like, who the fuck cares if C3PO's head flew away the same way an in Empire, if the movie is shit.
>>
>>64573110
>Obi-won still has the high ground
>>
File: hit.jpg (157 KB, 700x609) Image search: [Google]
hit.jpg
157 KB, 700x609
>>64576217
>over-choreographed
non-sensical reddit letter media complaint

they're supernatural warriors with precognition and fast reactions

if you want to get nit-picky, the OT doesn't make sense, why are the best warriors in the galaxy sub-par duellers by earth standards?
>>
>>64573615
Don't usually agree with RLM but it's obvious he was just cannibalizing his ideas from the OT.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.