[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between a flick, a film, and a movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: CAzUGYDUMAAjm3x.jpg (20 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
CAzUGYDUMAAjm3x.jpg
20 KB, 500x375
What is the difference between a flick, a film, and a movie?
>>
If you have to ask you belong on reddit
>>
>>64568177

You can't just ask. You have to learn it for yourself after years of exhaustive research. Come back then.
>>
There are a lot of people who don't understand the differences between the terms, so I will be the one to elaborate. I will use the word "cinemagraph" to describe these to avoid confusion.

A cinèma is typically an older cinemagraph that is very skillfully done, and is loaded with artistic merit. Examples are 2001, Gone with the Wind, and more recently, Interstellar.

Film and movie are used interchangeably, but they are different. A film is a modern cinemagraph that is not as good as a cinèma, but is still worth a good watch. Snowpiercer, Whiplash, and Birdman are examples. A movie is a typical cinemagraph that is mediocre and easily forgettable, like most modern horror cinemagraph.

Lastly, there is the flick. Flicks are what are ruining the industry of cinemagraphs today. They have no artistic merit, have no.effort put into them, but make easy money. These are the endless sequels, remakes, and especially the comic book cinemagraph.

If you have more questions, I will answer them.
>>
>>64568177
Flick: Interstellar
Movie: Moon
Film: Solaris
>>
>>64568292
what is a kino
>>
File: 1436696717901.jpg (32 KB, 620x462) Image search: [Google]
1436696717901.jpg
32 KB, 620x462
>>64568292
>it's a normative judgment
>>
>>64568177
Nothing.
>>
>>64568292
>and more recently, Interstellar.
>>
>>64568292
>being this wrong

a flick is made for fun and entertainment value, and primarily with money in mind

a movie is something that falls in between a flick and a film. primarily concerned with keeping the audience but also willing to actually have themes, a movie usually involves someone getting wronged and is more often than not a result of some sort of societal construct.

a film is usually more focused on the themes than the narrative and doesn't really care about keeping a sizable audience for the sake of simply having them there, money, etc. films primarily deal with philosophical issues and dilemmas and many will focus on the human condition and how we deal with it.

cinema consists of anything that simply wouldn't work as well in another medium, and is almost always auteur-driven; almost anything that successfully combines ambience and ambiguity falls in this category, but it is certainly not limited to these things. cinema by nature is a very open ended category, there are lots of possible examples with little alike.. the similarities are few, and the universals are even fewer.
>>
File: 1452128200463.jpg (342 KB, 545x1406) Image search: [Google]
1452128200463.jpg
342 KB, 545x1406
“A movie is made for an audience and a film is made for both the audience and the filmmakers. I think that The Game is a movie and I think Fight Club‘s a film. I think that Fight Club is more than the sum of its parts, whereas Panic Room is the sum of its parts. I didn’t look at Panic Room and think: Wow, this is gonna set the world on fire. These are footnote movies, guilty pleasure movies. Thrillers. Woman-trapped-in-a-house movies. They’re not particularly important.” - David Fincher

"My film is not a movie. My film is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam. It's what it was really like. It was crazy. We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane." — Francis Ford Coppola

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film#Terminology_used
>By contrast, in the US "movie" is the predominant form. Although the words "film" and "movie" are sometimes used interchangeably, "film" is more often used when considering artistic, theoretical, or technical aspects, as studies in a university class and "movies" more often refers to entertainment or commercial aspects, as where to go for fun on a date. For example, a book titled "How to Read a Film" would be about the aesthetics or theory of film, while "Lets Go to the Movies" would be about the history of entertaining movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsp05iSk7s [Embed]

movies are about economics.
cinema is about esthetics.
film is about politics.
-"How To Read A Film" by James Monaco

Also the separation is recognized in these texts
Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer
Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time
Delleuze's Cinema I&II
>>
Artistic merit
>>
File: 1451515790467.gif (3 MB, 300x258) Image search: [Google]
1451515790467.gif
3 MB, 300x258
this has to stop
>>
you flick a flick, you film a film, you move a movie.
>>
File: 1447799633603.jpg (153 KB, 1203x722) Image search: [Google]
1447799633603.jpg
153 KB, 1203x722
>>64568177
None, you dumb frogposter.
>>
>>64569042
>some meme pushing meme texter
>>64568691
>directors/artists/writers

who do i believe??
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.