[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you hate him so much /tv/? Is it because he makes movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: Richard-Linklater.jpg (56 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Linklater.jpg
56 KB, 600x399
Why do you hate him so much /tv/?

Is it because he makes movies about straight white males without any degeneracy? Would you rather he be more like your favourite Rabbi JJ Abrams?
>>
people just like to always point out that boyhood took 12 YEARS TO MAKE. i love linklater btw
>>
>>64561338
>Why do you hate him so much /tv/?
DUDE HOMESPUN STONER PHILOSOPHY LMAO

DUDE EVERY 9 YEARS LMAO

DUDE 12 YEARS LMAO

DUDE JACK BLACK LMAO

DUDE ROTOSCOPING LMAO

If I met him in real life I'd fucking kill him.
>>
File: le armond white face.jpg (12 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
le armond white face.jpg
12 KB, 250x375
“Hipster Patriarchy” might be a better title for Richard Linklater’s Boyhood. Depicting a white American male from childhood to adolescence, it celebrates the emblematic figure of American social power. Starting with youth’s inherent innocence and appeal, Linklater gives his protagonist, Mason (Ellar Coltrane), centrality in the passing parade of his Texas family (including a sister and divorced parents) and then, ultimately, confers importance upon Mason and his “normalcy.”

Sure enough, the cultural media have responded on cue: Praising the deliberately mundane Boyhood fits the pattern unconsciously followed by most culture writers (who also tend to be white males) seeking to confirm their own privilege and importance — but without examining it. Some women and men of other races also worship this unscrutinized authority, which partly explains why Linklater’s lackluster filmmaking (from Suburbia, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight to School of Rock and the atrocious Bernie) almost always gets overrated.

As much as fanboys falling for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Linklater’s think-alike idolators seem to have forgotten the significant films Boyhood imitates. The widely hyped story of Boyhood’s twelve-year production ignores the similar periodic method English director Michael Apted employed on the documentary series 7 Up (he filmed a group of British schoolkids at seven-year intervals); the hype also ignores how François Truffaut’s Antoine Doinel series (from The 400 Blows, Love at Twenty, and Stolen Kisses to Bed and Board and Love on the Run) encompassed a 20-year span in the fictional youth’s life.
>>
Linklater discussion got killed by capeshit redditors
>>
>let me explain life to you kid in the dullest way I know how

Boyhood was torture
>>
>>64561529
Life doesn't give you bumpers.
>>
>>64561510

so you hate him because of your own bizarre need to type in allcaps?

that's really crazy anon, you should seek therapy
>>
>>64561585
>life is dull and random so the flick was dull and random

BRAVO
>>
>>64561624
DUDE OBAMA LMAO
>>
File: armond white critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
armond white critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>>64561521
Capeshit redditors are the ones who love Linklater's shit.
>>
>>64561661
Stick to wriitng psuedo intellectualism analysis of contrived shit like Under The Skin and Birdman if you can't handle life.
>>
>>64561529
The only torturous part was seeing Patricia Arquette go from milf tier to this bloated panda
>>
File: 18k2cuaso9xdajpg.jpg (65 KB, 340x493) Image search: [Google]
18k2cuaso9xdajpg.jpg
65 KB, 340x493
>>64561709
Linklater's films are contrived psuedo intellectual shit.
>>
>>64561793
Okay BASED ARMOND.
>>
>>64561709
Under the Skin and Birdman were meme flicks and Oscar bait, respectively. Doesn't make Boyhood any better.
>>
>favourite
>jj abrams
Pick one
>>
>>64561960
LIFE

DOESN'T

GIVE YOU BU
M
P
E
R
S
>>
>>64561976
Literally 99% of this board was Star Wars for almost 3 months straight.

It hasn't really ended
>>
Boyhood was a nice slice of life movie about growing up. The filming style added to the experience, but it wasn't THE experience.

The fact that the press and marketing concentrated on the gimmick was always going to happen because it's unique. People really conflate the inquiry into the unique nature of the production as Linklater and Co acting like the production schedule is what made the movie good, ie "It's good because it took twelve years to make." When really, almost any movie is covered by the press based in the most shallow aspects. Was Birdman covered as an existential comedy in the human condition and the soul of the artist made with technical finesse? Because pretty sure it was covered as LOL BATMAN IS BIRDMAN.
>>
>>64561512
Are movies centering around decent white males really not allowed anymore in the US?
>>
File: 121415256956.png (99 KB, 249x345) Image search: [Google]
121415256956.png
99 KB, 249x345
>>64561687
>implying /tv/ didn't have a hard-on for Linklater before Boyhood memes
>>
>>64562176
>Defending the most heavily shilled reddit meme flick of the last decade
Hello reddit
>>
>>64562176
>filming style

kek

>the gimmick is unique

Yeah, there's this thing called the 7up ser-BOYHOOD IS THE FILM OF THE 21ST CENTURY
>>
>>64562312
Only the closet redditors. Linklater was such a literally who that no one even cared about a few redditors talking about "Muh based before" until Memehood blew up and all of a sudden he became a high priority threat and butts then needed to be shut down.
>>
File: Richard Linklater.png (362 KB, 760x374) Image search: [Google]
Richard Linklater.png
362 KB, 760x374
I don't hate him. His music is pretty catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00hL7SYO8Wk
>>
>>64562398
>Linklater was such a literally who
So you admit you are an illiterate who had no idea about Slacker, Dazed and Confused or the Before trilogy before he made Boyhood?
>>
>>64562545
No, "I" had seen all of those movies, but he wasn't at all relevent to this board. There were no 300 reply Before Midnight threads. Most linklater discussion that would happen on this board would be people posting a few quotes from his movies with pictures in a reddit sensibility circle jerk manner before it would fizzle and the board would continue on
>>
File: 1284149653815.gif (985 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1284149653815.gif
985 KB, 170x170
>>64562682
>There were no 300 reply Before Midnight threads.
>implying there needs to be maxed out threads like we're on /v/ for good discussion
Such a reddit sensibility :^)
You remember 2013 quite differently than me friend, because most people here loved Before Midnight. Just go through the archive and see how many people picked it in their top 10s for that year. Also A Scanner Darkly used to get threads all the time.

>Most linklater discussion that would happen on this board would be people posting a few quotes from his movies with pictures in a reddit sensibility circle jerk manner
So, normal /tv/ discussion? OK.
>>
>>64562834
>because most people here loved Before Midnight.
No they didn't. At least not those who are actually /tv/, and not just an ideological tourist posting here. You'd have to be a reddit sensibility poster to post real lists in those top 10 threads.

As an authentic /tv/ poster you don't publically praise movies, you attack those who do. The whole point of those threads is redditors posting their "taste" to get a validating pat on the head from fellow redditors. If you cared about this board you'd be on those threads insulting every single person who posted a list.

>So, normal /tv/ discussion?
Hello reddit.
>>
>>64562939
>As an authentic /tv/ poster you don't publically praise movies, you attack those who do.
Trying too hard there, reddit.
>>
>>64562967
I'm serious. There is literally no reason to praise a movie other than to bait for upvotes. I don't care how many years you've been here, you've been posting with a reddit sensibility the entire time.
>>
/tv/ circlejerks GoT and Dr Who they're not really anyone to judge
>>
>>64563730
Nope. No /tv/ poster has ever praised either of those shows. GoT and Dr Who are crossposter territory.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.