[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joy Is a masterpiece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: joy-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg (461 KB, 2000x1076) Image search: [Google]
joy-gallery3-gallery-image.jpg
461 KB, 2000x1076
Anyone agree? I came across this essay about the film:

Joy is even better the second time around. The first time around, the detractors' contrasting arguments (it's "messy", it's incomprehensible, it's a lot of "empty style") didn't make sense to me. As a movie viewer going in for a well-told yarn, you get really caught up in this story of a lone female warrior taking on the patriarchal world.

But the second time around, their arguments really wither and don't hold up at all. The second time, the beats are familiar, and you can focus on the way Russell draws out this very complex world of femininity buckling with masculinity, of American-Dream success mingling with tragic failure, of fakeness clashing with reality.

Russell's uncanny knack with actors comes out in much richer nuance than a first-view would warrant. There are so many levels to Neil (the Bradley Cooper character) that it makes my head spin.

Joy is also an astounding metaphor for the process of filmmaking and Joy can be said to be a stand-in not only for O. Russell the person (in terms of his pro-feminist stance and his beliefs), but also O. Russell the director. Joy, like O. Russell, faces immense backlash from their crazy decisions; lots of people don't believe in the power of the finished product because they see the rushes and think it's going to be an immense failure. Indeed, like the long and tired development of the miracle mop, there are many hiccups and outbursts on an O. Russell set that make it seem the end product will be terrible. But it isn't. With time, patience, shrewd negotiation with producers (Bradley Cooper) and actors (Joan Rivers/Cindy) and the writers (Joy's family) and set-designers (the factory-owner) and all the other people that make the Taylorized machine of filmmaking work: with all of this, the end product is well worth the effort put into it.
>>
>there's an alternate universe happening RIGHT NOW where russell doesn't get to make movies and lawrence faded into obscurity after winters bone

once again, stuck in shit timeline R, not even asking for goat timeline A.. just something that isn't this retarded
>>
>>64554727
i didn't ask for these emotions anon

take back what you said, extract this from my brain
>>
>>64554617
Joy was premier Oscar bait at its worst.
>>
>>64554617
My gay friend sisters son loved this film.
>>
Russell is a hack I'm glad it's becoming more obvious now.
>>
>>64554999
Gee I really wonder why he loved the film. I MEAN SERIOUSLY.
>>
>>64555035

What is the film about? Why are faggot SJWs in love with this piece of garbage?
>>
>It's a Jennifer Lawrence movie

Penntrashman.jpg
>>
>>64554727
Nah, I bet she sucked Harvey Weinstien's dick like a fucking demon. He would have found something to put her in.
>>
>>64555056
a woman getting bullied around by her family and not doing anything about it until no one is around to see it and she tells people later how bad-ass she was.
>>
File: 1451768548951.png (313 KB, 818x643) Image search: [Google]
1451768548951.png
313 KB, 818x643
>>64555085
This

>mfw watching Jennifer Lawrence act
>>
>>64554617
Russell isn't pro-feminist.

He's a bipolar opportunist. He wasn't a feminist when he called Lily Tomlin 'a stupid bitch' and 'a useless cunt' in front of the whole cast and crew
>>
>>64554617
Fuck you monty, you ruined truefilm with your giddy plebism. Ever heard the phrase "brevity is the soul of wit"? No of course not, that's why you vomit paragraphs that amount to so much drivel. Joy is a masterpiece, but not because you were qualified to recognize it. Seeing Cooper as a "yuppie QVC exec"... No wonder you're harbored at Stanford, the rest of the productive world has no taste for your liberal twaddle.
>>
>>64556048

Truefilm is true fucking shit. Where did all the faggot SJWs come from? That place is such a fucking cesspool, even beyond reddits own standards
>>
>>64557145
It didn't used to be, it was just a level minded oasis from r/movies in the beginning and the mods were quite friendly at encouraging different films and genres to the crowd. Then it really started taking off and we got started getting whack jobs, but the downturn started when more mods were brought in board, lordhadri, montypython22 and the sub stopped being a forum and became a pontificating platform for these dopes who felt the need to display how superior they were to everyone else. The older mods are now almost all absent from the place
>>
>>64558854

Yeah I posted there for several years now, it used to be a great place for serious discussion. Now every thread has some kind of SJW agenda to it. It is just cringeworthingly bad. I badly want to unsub from it but it is good to write a bunch of analytical shit about a movie sometimes.

Then again it's not worth seeing constant annoying threads like the one about Joy over and over again. Every time it's always SJW nonsense.
>>
>>64559004
Joy is a great film though, and not really because of feminism; it'd be just fine with a male lead, only that's not in fashion right now. O Russell is by far the most confident camera technician right now, you can see him just gleefully adopting styles from all over the place, the Godfather here, Lynch there, etc. Contrast that with H8 which looks like flat dogshit peppered with exposition shots from The Thing.
>>
>>64559321

I'm glad you think so, the truefilm post really turned me off, but I generally like David O Russell's stuff and wanted to see it. I don't want to see it if it has anything to do with feminism
>>
>>64555026
Agreed. Three Kings is his only good movie.
>>
File: 1451959104379.jpg (17 KB, 259x328) Image search: [Google]
1451959104379.jpg
17 KB, 259x328
Russel go back to making movies for the audience or yourself instead of for the Academy.
>>
>>64556048
This isn't your blog. Go back to Reddit
>>
Just in time for the daily Jennifer Lawrence hate general I see.
>>
>>64559494
You can read whatever feminism you want into it, the basic idea is that the dreams of our past selves come to haunt us and that the world is hostile whether or not you persue these dreams so you might as well give it a go. I really enjoyed it as an entrepreneurial tale. And Russell doesn't just go "yay she won", the ending is rather bitter sweet and staged like a Godfather meeting, success pretty much divides her family and segments her from the world. It's fascinating if you have the brains for it.

>>64559518
>>64559566
>>64559610
Implying you faggots aren't reddit incarnate. reddit hates Russell, I'm sure it's coincidence that you do too.
>>
>>64554617
>Russell the person (in terms of his pro-feminist stance and his beliefs)
Lelwhat. Has he ever been outspoken about this shit?

> like the long and tired development of the miracle mop, there are many hiccups and outbursts on an O. Russell set that make it seem the end product will be terrible

Holy fuck.

The person who wrote this should unironically kill themselves.
>>
File: limitless.jpg (23 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
limitless.jpg
23 KB, 600x337
>>64554617
Gimme that pill
>>
>>64559845
That's monty for you. He writes for the Stanford paper, must be paid by the letter.
>>
>>64559817
Yeah, this place wants to seem independently minded, but they're in complete lockstep with reddit on DOR.

I just wish I could understand why. There's so many mediocre directors. Even the best sometimes puts out a turd. Why does DOR create such reliable seething hatred? It's baffling. He's not an offensive director at all.
>>
>>64561456
I'm guessing that people dislike him based on his previous asshole behavior on the sets of Three Kings and I Heart Huckabees. Either he's mellowed or he'll continue to use the same core cast for all of his future movies because they get along.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.