[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /tv/ justify holding elitist opinions on film whilst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: ToddHoward2010sm.jpg (38 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
ToddHoward2010sm.jpg
38 KB, 259x400
How does /tv/ justify holding elitist opinions on film whilst liking and defending the prequel trilogy? To me that's like being a literature elitist whilst defending Mills & Boon books.
>>
I dont have to justify shit to you asshole
>>
>>64544996
/tv/ utterly fails at being elitist. It thinks hating on superhero movies is the mark of a true cinema afficionado.

Mind you, I like the prequels meme. Beats Baneposting.
>>
>>64545484
That's fair enough, you don't have to justify shit to me. However to me it feels like doublethink to simultaneously hold elitist opinions about films and nitpicking every last thing whilst defending the prequel trilogy which at best are very flawed albeit fun action movies.
>>
>>64544996

Apparently the prequels were "redpilled" and had "integrity" and "ambition" because they weren't "reddit pandering" or "catering to SJWs" which makes them a kinegraphic magnum opus

If mainstream opinion turns critical on TFA watch the fucking Nathan Barleys on this board u-turn and start harping on about how TFA is even better than Empire
>>
>>64545521
>very flawed albeit fun
>fun
What the hell prequels were you watching?
>>
>>64545544
Well I feel the prequel movies are very bad but I can see why people would consider them "fun" because of the action scenes which I found uninteresting.
>>
>>64544996
pleb tier = thinking the prequels are good
reddit tier = thinking the prequels are the worst thing ever
patrician tier = realizing the prequels do some interesting things and have some redeeming qualities
>>
>>64545524
>If mainstream opinion turns critical on TFA watch the fucking Nathan Barleys on this board u-turn and start harping on about how TFA is even better than Empire
Why do idiots always fall back on this?
That would not happen because TFA has no ambition and no artistry.
>>
Fuck off Todd fallout 4 was worse than new Vegas and skyrim and it took twice as fucking long to make

Just like TFA and the prequels
>>
>>64545585
BUY MY GAME YOU WORTHLESS SHIT
>>
>>64545567
A few years ago would have ever believed that /tv/ would start circle jerking over how the prequels were really a misunderstood masterpiece? Obviously anything is possible. As long as an opinion is popular it will not be held by /tv/ or 4chan in general
>>
>>64544996

We're flatulent, feckless hypocrites but find it easier and more self-flattering to justify our position by making a big stink about how people like you don't "get" /tv/. Reddit moar liek PLEBBIT amirite /tv/bros?
>>
>>64545567

>TFA has no ambition and no artistry.

Neither did the prequels, as has been recognised for this board for as long as it's existed, but they're currently getting their dicks ridden by this /tv/ because le nigger le reddit le mary sue
>>
>>64545622
How long until capeshit revisionism?
>>
>>64545622
>A few years ago would have ever believed that /tv/ would start circle jerking over how the prequels were really a misunderstood masterpiece?

what else did you expect? I'll have you know being an internet hipster is serious business
>>
>>64545644
Of course the prequels have ambition. They're pretty big in scope.
>>
>>64545644
>Neither did the prequels
nah

>le nigger
No, Bodega gave one of the better performances, JJ is just a shit director.
>>
>>64545670

>Of course the prequels have ambition. They're pretty big in scope.

One man's "big in scope" is another man's "bloated"

We'll never know. Perhaps George envisioned a grand and sweeping plot and failed, or perhaps he just had to keep writing and writing and writing as the story spiralled out of control

the best thing to do is probably to judge on outcome rather than intention, and in this case we have "solid and safe flick" and "three fucking retarded trainwrecks"
>>
>>64545733
>the best thing to do is probably to judge on outcome rather than intention
No?
>>
>>64545772
Yeah man I know I definitely watch a film and enjoy it for what it tried to be rather than what it actually was.
>>
>>64545772

Great, so you're advocating, what, some kind of cultural marxist approach to filmmaking where The Room is just as good as Lawrence of Arabia because both directors intended to make good movies
>>
>>64545644
I'm no prequel defender, and I rate Force Awakens a solid 7, but in retrospect it does make the prequel trilogy look much more ambitious- and also in a sense artistic, in that so much of it is one man's vision. But they fail utterly as films.
>>
>>64545652
Just wait until a critically acclaimed reboot is released in any of the marvel franchises and people will start talking about how the avengers was a masterpiece and Thor: the dark world was a misunderstood classic of cinema
>>
>>64545831
>But they fail utterly as films.
Nope.
>>
It's the Zelda cycle. I fucking knew as soon as TFA came out there would be dozens of "Can we end the Prequels were bad meme" threads.
>>
>>64545852
I think it'll happen when the mainstream turns decisively against capeshit. I get the sense people are already tired of it, so it shouldn't be more than a couple of years.
>>
Prequel defenders deserve to be ridiculed.

TFA was not a brilliant movie.

That will never change just how fucking dreadful the prequels were and I suspect most of those defending them are not old enough to have witnessed them first hand in the cinema

fuck, I was 7 when Menace came out and I was old enough to realise something terrible was happening
>>
File: 1449092060423.jpg (482 KB, 1000x1926) Image search: [Google]
1449092060423.jpg
482 KB, 1000x1926
>it's a reddit thinks /tv/ is one person episode
>>
File: 1432783567462.jpg (62 KB, 1265x860) Image search: [Google]
1432783567462.jpg
62 KB, 1265x860
>>64545890
>films
weren't movies, pleb
>>
File: 1346390058765.jpg (54 KB, 985x135) Image search: [Google]
1346390058765.jpg
54 KB, 985x135
>>
>>64546030
>le guilt by association fallacy
>>
Todd reminds me about Aiden a little bit.
>>
>>64545567
And the fucking prequels did? Those CGI fests with awful plot decorated by even more awful dialogue and "poetry"? I haven't even watched TFA
>>
>>64546223
>And the fucking prequels did?
Yes, that was the implication.
>>
Its 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' psychology.

When TFA was released all its pleb fans were saying it 'stuck two fingers up at the prequel trilogy', and 'thank god it erased all memories of the prequels' creating a TFA v The Prequels dynamic. Since TFA was palpably shit yet somehow praised on release, people rally around its 'rival', the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>64546284
Um, no lol the prequels are just shit.
>>
>>64546250
Look at all this artistic vision
>>
>>64544996
they aren't the same people
>>
>>64546353
Yeah, they composited real footage of anerupting volcano into that shot.
>>
>>64545670
for you
>>
Pretty appropriate that a thread beginning with Todd Howard devolved into a TFA thread. Fallout 3 and 4 are just like it in that they make empty gestures toward the originals without really getting into the spirit / idea of them. Focus group tested pablum.
>>
>>64546429
Yeah except people aren't such contrarians they're saying Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is better than Fallout 3 +4
>>
>>64546503
I don't think anyone wants to argue that seriously. It's hard to take the NMA types seriously with the way the series went off the rails in the hands of Interplay. Even Fallout 1 and 2 have a bit of discord, then Tactics took the thing really far afield.
>>
>>64544996
Just relase the GECK Todd
>>
I want Obsidian to come back
Fuck you Todd
>>
>>64545772
are you retard?
>>
>>64544996
>elitist opinions on film

99% of this board is GoT, Star Wars, capeshit, memeshows and flavour of the week celebrity gossip. Where do you see elitism?
>>
WHo would play Todd in a biopic?
>>
>>64551787
Himself. He's like Audie Murphy, no one else can portray him. None can compare to his ability to hype up viewers and cause bitter Wojaks to drown in their own tears.
>>
>>64551787
peter dinklage
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.