[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Hades in movies always the villain? In greek mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446894541432.jpg (28 KB, 677x380) Image search: [Google]
1446894541432.jpg
28 KB, 677x380
Why is Hades in movies always the villain? In greek mythology he is one of the nicest gods, while Zeus and Poseidon are huge assholes
>>
ALL the gods are assholes in greek mythology. hades is singled out because he guards the underworld and souls of the dead which immediately conjures images of hell and lucifer in a modern mind.
>>
People are afraid of death, and Hades' earthen dominion houses the dead. So they mistake him as the god of death and therefore someone to be feared.

He was a kidnapper, though. Not that any recent movie ever depicted that.
>>
because Hades as the greeks envisioned him was an overworked accountant who spent eternity counting souls in his underworld cubicle. a character like that is too boring to bother paying for the cgi to bring him to life. since greek mythology doesnt have a truly villainous deity, an obvious solution is to just make hades satan; killing two birds with one stone by getting rid of the boring accountant and injecting a real villain into the pantheon
>>
>>64514292

I like how in wrath of titans, he teamed up with zeus
>>
>>64514292
Why is Disney shit?

Why did they rip off Kimba the White Lion to make Lionking?

Why didn't anyone like the Frog Princess?

Why did everyone like shitty ass frozen?
>>
>>64515648

you're talking about a fanbase that averages 10 year olds, you mong pedoshit.
>>
>>64514292
something, something western flanderization
>>
Imposing christianity and modern western values for modern western audiences.
Simple transposing is easiest.
Hades = Underworld = Devil = Bad Guy

When I started getting into Greek mythology I thought Zeus was dick. Not a fan.
>>
>>64515943
>Imposing christianity and modern western values
yes because it's very christian and very modern to fear death
>>
>>64515994
people are fearing death more and more all the time now that atheism is taking hold

noheaven4u
noreincarnation4u
nonothing4u
>>
>>64514292
Retconning for the judeochristian monoculture.
>>
>>64515994
its not about fearing death. In Christianity the guardian of the underworld ALSO tries to make people to sin/be immoral. This characterises the devil as 'evil' and immoral.
Morality wasn't really part of Ancient Greek culture in the same way. God's were neither morally good or bad, they were multifaceted and usually greedy.
>>
>>64515994
do you lack reading comprehension?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.