[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just saw this in glorious 70km superhipstervision with overture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: Hateful-H8ful-Eight.jpg (36 KB, 838x510) Image search: [Google]
Hateful-H8ful-Eight.jpg
36 KB, 838x510
I just saw this in glorious 70km superhipstervision with overture and intermission included.

I loved it.

Now tell me what you disliked,
>>
It's just a westernized version of Reservoir Dogs. Not even Samuel L Jackson getting his dick wet makes the movie any different. Now it's not a bad film, just a bad Tarantino film, he's done a lot better.
>>
Using the same goddamned actors over and over again.
>>
Tell me about the cinematography, how was it? Describe it, not just rate it.
>>
>>64513509
The performances were average, you know you have shit performances when channing tatum carried that department. The sets were fucking terrible. Dialogue was shit. The movie fell flat, it just sort of ended.

He should just grow up and go back to making movies like Jackie Brown.
>>
Devastating in some new and inexplicable way. This is very combative, and less indulgent of an expectant audience.

We're not on the same page, he contends, and why talk about it on those terms anyway?

Division and unity each have their own individual horrors. So the muted critical reaction strikes me as a touch of Dylan-goes-electric--and it all plays into a winding treatise about the uncertainty of allegiance. How terrible, how terribly ephemeral, it all seems: this respect between old soldiers, between "professionals," between captors and captives. The blues and grays have faded, but you're not sure how much, and you're not sure where badmouthing Abe Lincoln is going to get you. But blood must be spilled, and mixed, because it's the only true guarantor of loyalty. And even then, Tarantino suggests--in the slightest and craftiest of sideways glances--that the urge to love or protect will have to run through something deeper and uglier than that.
>>
>>64513549
I don't get the Reservoir Dogs comparison I see people coming to.
Because they have to figure out who isn't what they seem?
>>
>>64513751
No because they're all fucking stuck in a room for 90% of the movie, except even less happens in this one but with a longer runtime.
>>
>>64513751
>I don't get the Reservoir Dogs comparison I see people coming to.
>Because they have to figure out who isn't what they seem?

The Hateful Eight has been in my mind for days now, and I'm starting to wonder how long it'll keep up

Going back to Reservoir Dogs - it no longer feels like its own work.

It's more of a skeletal test pattern--a mild experiment with obsessions, pop-musical context, chapter breaks, impostors--and the parallels send me right back into the masterpieces proper. What endures, however, is the sense of doom that surrounds its coolness. The fact that it tries so hard to be cool when the aftermath is right there. Everyone should have seen it--the "carefree" dialogue is tainted with a bubbling hate, aching and ready to be implemented. It so clearly presages the violence, but only Joe sees through it, and only then when he has to think about it. Even afterwards, they're still not thinking about it--disgusted by Mr. Blonde's rampage while saying "I'll kill someone if they're in my way" like this is some grand step up. So the framework is a little empty, but the character details keep it alive, because they strain and search without comprehending the tragedy of themselves. I'm not talking about details like Mr. Orange's wedding ring--which, I dunno, feels like a self-conscious, screenwriter-mystery fetish object--but the way he imagines himself activating a bathroom hand-dryer with the same, direct finger that he uses to close his apartment door. He knows just enough to get himself killed.
>>
>too long
>too much talking
>boring talking
>>
Look

Just listen to my nig enniro motherfucking morricojones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdlMXLPfGh4

This is what the movie felt like.
>>
>>64513567
>Tim Roth
>not great to watch
>>
>>64514671
I enjoyed Tim Roth acting as Christoph Waltz in the movie.
>>
Shot in glorious 70mm - spends 3 hours inside one fucking room. Also, shitty story. We really need a flash back to the takeover? Sam jacksons character already let us in on that. Overall = weaksauce.
>>
>>64514756
this
>>
>>64514756
>>64515372
Apparently you two haven't seen Four Rooms. Where he nearly acted exactly the same.
>>
>>64513509
The gore and swearing was a bit too over-the-top sometimes. Loved it, though. One of Tarantino's better movies, I'd say. It felt surprisingly "tight" for how long-winded it really was. And the character dialogue is fantastic, as usual. A part of me wished I could just sit there and watch them fuck around in the cabin and having conversations for the rest of time, it would be pretty rad. Then they all started shooting each other, and it was still pretty rad.
>>
>>64515471
Saw it in theatres m8.
I always enjoy Tim roth, kiddo.
>>
File: SHO00033.jpg (343 KB, 1749x837) Image search: [Google]
SHO00033.jpg
343 KB, 1749x837
I will NEVER pay to see anything with Samuel Jackson in it
>>
>>64515471
He looked the same as Christoph Waltz in Django though and the similarity in both looks and acting was undeniably big.
>>
>>64513549
>Now it's not a bad film, just a bad Tarantino film, he's done a lot better.
BAM! my sentiments exactly.
my friends were really hyped for this movie and they loved it after seeing it but i feel it is very meh.

i have actually lowered my standards for tarantino these days i don't expect much from him and i didn't get much either. it seemed like he phoned this one in
>>
>>64513567
>Saying this
>When David O'Russell exists

You're not wrong though.
>>
>>64513606
>The performances were ok
>Channing Tatum was good
>The performances were shit

Do you even proof read?
>>
YOOOU'RRRE GONNAAA LIIISTEN TO THAAAT DIIIIAAAAAABOOOOLLLLICAAAL BIIITCH?
>>
The weird slowmo kinda threw me off, also was expecting some kind of extra twist or turn at the ending.
The real question is: Was the story about his dingus true or just to make the general shoot him?
>>
>>64514756
I didn't for that reason. Might as well just make it Christoph waltz again.

Got over it eventually still slightly annoying though.
>>
File: 1414700757628.gif (2 MB, 250x400) Image search: [Google]
1414700757628.gif
2 MB, 250x400
Too catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGNhdCPmqI
>>
>>64513509
I'm not surprised you loved it. It's made for the audience who cares about things like 70mm film and intermissions, and probably has a preconceived notion of the movie going in, rather than for average cinemagoers.

It's the kind of movie that could have been a celebrated stage play, but instead is a boring movie. The medium spoils the message.

>>64513567
>>64514671
I don't hold this against QT because I actually think a lot of a his "posse" are very entertaining - consistently more entertaining that Tarantino himself, these days. Tim Roth's fake accent is probably my favourite thing about the Hateful Eight, for better or for worse.

>>64513751
I think the moment that clenches the Reservoir Dogs comparison in a lot of people's minds is the standoff towards the end, where SLJ, the sheriff and all the gang members simultaneously get shot. It's practically the same scene as Reservoir Dogs. (Of course, in true Tarantino tradition, that was already cribbed from elsewhere, City on Fire.)

>>64513773
This is my primary complaint with Hateful Eight. At least things happen in Reservoir Dogs. About 75% of Hateful Eight takes place on the exact same set, and is driven by dialogue rather than action.

>>64515527
He didn't even have to act for his role in this movie.
>>
>>64515752
He definitely made it up. It would just be weird if it had actually happened. First he just tells him he killed his son (which also may not have even happened), then tries to rub it in. When it's not working, he ups the ante with a forced blowjob. Even that doesn't do the trick. The thing that eventually sets him off is Warren saying it was the general's own fault his son was raped and killed.
>>
>like pulp fiction
>/tv/ says go back to reddit

>like inglorious bastards
>/tv/ tells me to go back to reddit

>like django unchained
>/tv/ tells me to go back to reddit

I can never win here. Like anything popular and its nothing but "hurr hurr reddit" bullshit.
>>
>>64516322
Like whatever you want. Quit caring about the opinions of strangers on the internet.

Inglorious Basterds is shit though.
>>
>>64516322
>Trying to impress bunch of cross-posting, shitposting redditors.

Come to irc

rizon #lbxd
>>
>>64515874
Roth as Waltz is done on purpose. It's disarming for when he turns into chav gangbanger Roth after the Tatum nutshot.
>>
>>64516322
Inglorious Basterds is literally his worst movie, though.
>>
>>64516496
Have you seen Death Proof?
>>
>>64516496
Nah, django is worse than inglorious basterds which is its second worst flick.
>>
> enjoying movie
> Tarantino himself interrupts the film and starts talking and explaining plot points, killing any tension and atmosphere that had been building until that point
NOW THIS IS MOVIE MAKING
>>
>>64516554
Have you?
>>
I saw the movie until the cabin and then fell asleep and then woke up to catch the end. The beginning dialogue is just plain bad. It's literally one character recognizing the other and then going on this long explanation of who they are to the other person with bad, unnatural dialogue. This goes on for 45 minutes. I was also luckily able to catch the black dingus scene. It comes off as so fucking stupid and Tarantino probably jerked off thinking about it. Then the end. It makes zero sense that two severely injured men could take on the whole gang. Why didn't Jody just shoot them again?
>>
>>64516605
Yes, it was just okay and way too long. Inglorious Basterds was a much more entertaining and memorable movie all around.
>>
>>64516638
> It makes zero sense that two severely injured men could take on the whole gang.
What? They don't, they both bleed to death in the cabin. The gang of 15 may not have even existed, it was just a bluff. Not that it matters in the end, because they bleed to death.
>>
>>64516775
Ignore this, I misread your comment. pls forgive me
>>
>narrator:" thats why this chapter is called domerguesgottasecret."

that moment when you realize you aren't watching a movie, but patrician cinéma.
>>
>expecting intermission
>great, I need to pee and refill my drink, why don't more movies have intermissions anymore?
>the theater cut the intermission, have to piss during the movie
fuckers
>>
>>64516880
Don't be a

|______________________________________|
>>
>>64515916
>This is my primary complaint with Hateful Eight. At least things happen in Reservoir Dogs. About 75% of Hateful Eight takes place on the exact same set, and is driven by dialogue rather than action.

Dialogue is what Tarantino does best though, so I like this. But then again I hated Django and didn't really care for Inglorious Basterds either.
>>
>>64514935
I watched Hateful Eight for the second time before watching Django Unchained for the first time, Django definitely should have been in 70mm
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.