[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the cues that you are watching a chick flick show?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: Truly Gay Detective.png (279 KB, 900x300) Image search: [Google]
Truly Gay Detective.png
279 KB, 900x300
I just finished True Detective Season 1, and saw an episode of Season 2: The Truly Gay Detective.

I am sad that the real "True Detective" is truly over. Especially after they hyped me up with that awesome intro sequence.
Really. I'm not a bigot, (as a _mostly_ straight man, I would be down with fucking Younger Russel with the shorter hair from the flashbacks) but I watch a lot of TV and I can tell when a show is catered to the female/gay audience. And it's not just the obvious cues like the father's remarks on buttfucking Aspen's dad or the fact that we get needless gratuitous shots of men's asses in a pointless shot of the men's room before cutting to a fully dressed woman in the woman's room.

I don't what it is, but I feel like if you forced the editors to cut all that out, and somehow inject some gratuitous female nudity I would still know I was watching a chick flick show, with the way boring plot was laid out like an episode of my mom's favorite show Poirot.

The woman in the bar singing her song made me think she must be the daughter of a rich man who paid the producers for exposure to her "talent."

How can you tell when you're watching a gay/chick flick show? Other than obvious gay butts, I mean?
>>
File: 5125125.gif (963 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
5125125.gif
963 KB, 500x250
>>64510609
TD season 2 was instantly good because it featured Tim Riggins.
>>
>>64510609
you're a pleb s1 is garbage s2 is an eye-opening absolute kinematic experience

really, s1 is shit with all that faux-phiosophycal crap
>>
>>64510721
S1 was really bad if you ignore the cinematography/directing which was really good.

Writing of S1 was complete bottom of the barrel tier.. Lifetime Show or some shit.
>>
>>64510721

literally this

Rust was reddit: the character and S1 was pleb trash and if you prefer S1 you seriously need to fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>64510721
>you're a pleb s1 is garbage s2 is an eye-opening absolute kinematic experience
What do you mean?
>>
>>64510763
>S1 was really bad if you ignore the cinematography/directing which was really good.
Literally all I care about when I watch TV. What are some other TV shows with excellent cinematography and directing and editing, that may or may not be pleb-reddit shows? It will never bother me since I don't know what reddit's like anyway and I don't need to compare things to an arbitrary website to decide whether I like them or not.
>>
>>64510779
s2 is a pretty good crime fiction that makes you care about its charcters, god knows what the authors had in mind with s1
>>
File: 1444560954093.jpg (298 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444560954093.jpg
298 KB, 1280x720
>>64510833
There are lot of well directed TV-shows and some not-so-good shows, even they have their moments.

Stuff like the Sopranos and the Wire feature extremely good directing and Sopranos features very nice artsy fartsy cinematography later on in season 3 and 4. The Wire too, but not so flashy.

So the answer to your question is just watch the most highest rated shows?

outside the popular shows I'd recommend Swedish Bron/Broen, features very nice cinematography of urban enviroments and people being swallowed by it. Pic not related as I am not on my desktop where my Bron blurays are. the night time photography is hnng worthy.

vikings is also surprising at times, going for very tryhard artsy fartsy stuff between their bbc nature photography.

>>64510864
Agreed.
>>
>>64510833
This is all under the assumption you've already seen Breaking Bad, which until TD season 1 had the best cinematography of any TV show ever. Fargo Season 2 was pretty good directing. They do a lot of weird cross cuts in the editing, but it's still better than 99% of tv.

Hannibal is very well directed too, Boardwalk Empire is good but I couldn't get through more than 2 seasons once the best character dies.
>>
>>64510953
>So the answer to your question is just watch the most highest rated shows?
I honestly never considered that. I usually watch shows based on whether I see 4chan mention them or not. I hate alot of popular movies like Star Wars: The References Awaken or most Marvel Comic Book movies so I tend to avoid seeing mainstream movies, but you're making it sound like I wouldn't mind mainstream television, and I think you might be right.
>>
>>64511660
Well.. the highest rated shows like
the Wire
Band of Brothers
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Planet Earth
whateverhwatever etc.

are all mostly well directed and include good cinematography, yes not all of it is flashy cinematography - the wire is very basic, mundane, but it has a reason and it works very well and some of them go pretty artsy like Sopranos later seasons. Some of them might not have particularly interesting cinematography but are well directed for other reasons like Generation Kill..
>>
File: Woody playa.jpg (23 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
Woody playa.jpg
23 KB, 403x403
>>64511730
Thanks alot bro. I realize it must be killing you inside a little bit to help suggest what you might consider plebshit to a pleb.

I felt the same way when I was bitching about what a bullshit movie Elysium was, and ended up inadvertently suggesting it to one of my friends who now thinks it's one of the best things ever and that it's even better fucking Terminator 1 and 2 in his opinion.

I will definitely look into that list of yours, but aside from that what are some "good" shows in your opinion.
>>
>>64511838
Elysium is well directed and has nice cinematography and set pieces, it's bit sketchy on teh writing.

My favorite shows?
Oh.

Bron/Broen, a Swedish-Dane show. Seasons 1 and 3 particularly.

Forbrydelsen (Danish, the original Killing) season 3 which is pretty good, the main character's arc and narrative through all three seasons is interesting to follow, humane story.

Generation Kill. A good show of Iraq invasion and what it was like for the soldiers at the start, very well directed, acting and everyone feels very natural here, flows very well.

Band of Brothers' Bastogne (winter time) episodes. Fucking cruel, hard hitting stuff but the entire show is really good but particularly when the winter arrives it goes hard.

SouthLAnd which is a pretty based police show following couple of detectives and polices around LA. Features very interesting cinematography and is really well shot and written overall.

Twin Peaks season 1 + the goood parts of season 2. Fantastic show by Lynch and Frost. Great writing in season 1, very well directed and fantastic cinematography and style.

I probably forget some. I really liked Justified from the recent shows I've seen.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

I see nothing wrong going from top to bottom with this list, it honestly features the best stuff out there. I haven't seen the anime stuff or cartoons on that list so I can't recommend them.

but even Breaking Bad was well directed (but badly written) after season 2, and the first 2 seasons are a good treat.
>>
Fargo's cinematography was like if the director had just finished a semester at film school.
>>
>>64512018
>even Breaking Bad was well directed (but badly written) after season 2
Having seen Breaking Bad, and enjoying it, I'm curious what your problems with it were.
>>
>>64512024
It was pretty basic in an annoying way, yeah I can see that.
>>
>>64512065
They blew up Tuco's joint in season 2 right?
Well, I felt like they took it way too high from the 'grounded' approach of earlier seasons which I liked. Badly written stuff, like just about everything Pinkman - that character did not need to survive/make it that far, it was like anchor in the show.
>>
>>64512168
>I felt like they took it way too high from the 'grounded' approach of earlier seasons which I liked.
Please... go on! Also, fun fact, the original idea behind Breaking Bad was to have Jesse Pinkman be a one-off character who dies relatively early with Walt avenging his death ruthlessly on the other drug dealers and the idea of Walt wanting to _earn_ the money rather than just _get_ the money any way he can (eg a donation from a friend) originated during approximately Episode 4.

According to Vince Gilligan before that the writers were just like "I dunno. I guess once he gets enough money he could just lose his fat stack at the end of every season, right guize?"
>>
>>64512306
I've only seen Breaking Bad once and that was when it was airing - I didn't like it that much for majority of its runtime and it's been a while since I saw it so it's hard to discuss it.

Once I read that about Pinkman (it was in some interview back then too) it made sense in retrospect. It wasn't good for the show to drag his carcass along with it for so long.

I like shows that completely gut and remove bad material, stuff that doesn't work simply.

ie. Z-Nation wrote themselves to a corner with two characters and they killed them relatively fast away so they are not there to drag the show down.

Same should've been done with Pinkman.
>>
>>64512372
You sound like a fun person to talk with. Wanna exchange skypes?

if you do, you can email this disposable email address so you don't get spambots scraping 4chan threads on your ass. [email protected]
>>
>>64512553
No I don't use Skype and even if I did I have terrible social anxiety and autism and I only shared my phone number with my family and one friend.
>>
>>64512618
>No I don't use Skype and even if I did I have terrible social anxiety and autism
b-but so do I... We could just text chat...
>>
>>64512640
>>64512618
Just fuck already
>>
>>64512306
stop _this_ you filthy newfag
>>
>>64513235
If I ever have to put myself near to a situation like that I kill myself.
>>
>>64512372
and
>>64513381
>If I ever have to put myself near to a situation like that I kill myself.
same guy?
>>
File: vincevaughn.jpg (389 KB, 1773x1330) Image search: [Google]
vincevaughn.jpg
389 KB, 1773x1330
>>
File: 1434965351147.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434965351147.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.