[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ridley Scott is 80. He's still making big successful movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: ridley-scott.jpg (388 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
ridley-scott.jpg
388 KB, 1500x1125
Ridley Scott is 80. He's still making big successful movies and he seems fit. His legacy consists of some of the greatest movies ever made.

Is there anyone alive today that is greater than him?
>>
God
>>
>>64504268
JJ Abrahams
>>
He just makes well made flicks.
>>
Kiarostami, Malick, Scorcese, Allen

And a lot more. That's just in his age bracket.

He made a couple great genre films 30+ years ago.
>>
>>64504268
I think he just gets whatever budget he wants so really hes there on each film to approve everything whereas there are alot of people on set doing alot of his work

Id expect a few newcomers to break through and have a similar style because they filled in alot of the director duties on films like The Martian
>>
>>64504479
>genre films

Back to /lit/ buddy. "Genre film" isn't a thing. All films have genre, no exceptions.
>>
>>64504268
In the THR interview he was kick-ass, he called Tom Hooper out on his pretentious shit and shoved off every other director's kissass praise. He's cool as fuck.
>>
>>64504268
Clint Eastwood? i mean if you merely go by his work as a director inspite of winning 2 oscars and making the highest grossing war movie ever Scott is probably ahead but if you include Eastwood's early work as an actor i feel like he can compete
>>
>>64504479
Scorcese's age is really showing though.

Within the parameters of OP's question I would say Allen is untouchable. He's evolved into something unrecognisable, and I would say his older works probably don't receive as much props as they should from younger generations.

Why? I'm not sure.
>>
>>64504530
I think you greatly underestimate how much Scoot is a problem solving machine. You sound you really don't know how he works.
He's done more than a couple thousands tv ads besides his movies. He has shot in every single condition and location you might imagine, with all kinds of budgets and crews. He storyboards everything he does himself, he is super prepared when he shoots. He never went overbudget. He doesn't do rehearses either, that's how prepared the guy is when he comes on a set. I don't believe he has ever done any re-shoots after principal photography. He has discipline, expertise and experience. He's the real deal. He's always working on something.
>>
>>64506506
yet he has barely 150m. numbers do not lie.......
>>
>>64504268
well after making Alien, Blade Runner and the underrated The duellists, some directors would just fuck off for a while and enjoy their genius status. But the man is respectable at least for the fact that he keeps making movies as if he was just one of the technicians in some motorcycle company.

The problem i have with him lately is that he keeps pulling out visually great movies, but with terrible scripts. And if you know Ridley, you know that normally he does give a shit about scripts and he makes people rewrite and stuff so...i'm thinking that he doesn't care anymore about it, and that he might be interested in the project for only one element of it.

So he'll make 1 good movie out of 5 bad ones. It's still a pretty good score at his age.
>>
File: 1266637265242.jpg (148 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1266637265242.jpg
148 KB, 550x550
>>64506598
150M? wtf you are talking about?
>>
>>64506506
Im not underestimating him. Im just suggesting that with the amount of films he keeps churning out, he gets alot of help.
He has final say no doubt but he'll definitely have a couple of right hand men
>>
>>64506850
This is /tv/ not /lit/.
You are aware that cinema is a collaborative art form yes? It is normal to have a couple of right hand men. Every single director you might know have them. Every single one. From Chaplin to Hitchcock to Goddard to Lynch to whoever the fuck you want.

If you don't like Scott it's fine, say so and feel free to share your opinion, but don't give us that kind of inept pointless argument.
>>
>>64507040
stop getting angry
>>
File: 1364607765623.png (659 KB, 629x515) Image search: [Google]
1364607765623.png
659 KB, 629x515
>>64507070
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.