[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I watched this three times and I actually unironically enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: kylo REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg (110 KB, 634x363) Image search: [Google]
kylo REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg
110 KB, 634x363
I watched this three times and I actually unironically enjoy watching it more than Return of the Jedi. This may be because its most like episode IV which is by far my favorite star wars movie.

ITT: People that unironically liked this.
>>
It was good. Great villains, funny heroes, and decent action. JJ Abrams has problems with pacing and etc. but it was all good fun and it definitely felt like Star Wars in the best possible sense.
>>
I liked it. But I acknowledge the movie has more flaws than it should and doesn't come close even to RotJ
>>
>>64499099
I enjoyed it more than RotJ because it's better than it.
>>
Wait, are there people who unironicly didn't enjoy this?
>>
>>64499099
i liked it better than vi but not as much as iii
>>
Idk, movie would would have been 5x better if it didn't have all the shoehorned quips everyone something from the OT was mentioned
>>
>>64499099

I just realized that nothing in the movie is actually fun and nothing warrants repeated viewings.

But for instance I could watch ANH still today and enjoy it and I could watch the Bespin duel or the Jabba barge sequence any time.

Nothing in TFA stands out. It's like a pilot for a tv show. There's no need to revisit it once you get all the information out of it. Nothing in it is memorable. It's like an entire movie constructed out of placeholders.
>>
File: bigger guy.png (428 KB, 612x564) Image search: [Google]
bigger guy.png
428 KB, 612x564
>>64499189
/tv/ seems to shit all over it and worship George Lucas and the prequels, I don't come here that often and can only assume you guys are memeing. All memeing aside, I like A New Hope better than Empire, I like The Force Awakens better than Return of the Jedi, and my favorite prequel was The Phantom Menace.
>>
Things I liked
>Actually an enjoyable watch
>Kylo Ren looked cool and as much as they love shoving the Vader helmet down our throats, I don't mind them shoving this guy's helmet down our throats now
>Same goes for his shoddily-crafted lightsaber
>Characters are perfectly fine, fun even, and Kylo was what Anikan should've been in the PT
>It doesn't matter that Rey is a personality-free Mary Sue because that's pretty much Luke and Anikan in a nutshell (and we didn't have to listen to her whine about fucking sand)
>Duels were on point, just two people bashing the shit out of each other like they should be
>Concept of "looking for Luke" and the lightsaber MacGuffin were kind of inspired
>Guy who played Hux is a good egg, even if his character was way too young to be a goddamn general
>Phantasm reference because fuck yeah Reggie
>Harrison Ford actually earned his paycheck
>I liked BB-8

Shit I didn't care for
>Sets looked like sets
>Kylo Ren's vehicle looked lame
>"Droid please"
>All action, hardly any substance whatsoever
>Carrie Fisher needs to moisturize her face
>Re-do of greatest hits of OT etc. etc.
>CGI Snoke looks like shit
>Barely a moment spent enjoying the new creatures, like those in Maz's pad
>Dumb fucking space station laser splitting was even stupider than the fact that it sucked star energy to function
>Hardly any characterization of Hux, Phasma, etc. but I guess that's in store for the sequels?
>Putting off too much for the sequel when we needed a stand alone movie

Solid 7/10 movie, perfectly fine Star Wars movie, but ultimately forgettable popcorn fare like the Avengers movies and what not. Fine attempt.
>>
>>64499380
>Kylo Ren's vehicle looked lame

The batshuttle is maybe the best design in the movie
>>
>>64499380
>It doesn't matter that Rey is a personality-free Mary Sue because that's pretty much Luke
This has been debunked a 100 times every single day ever since the premiere
>>
>>64499423
Eh, I guess I just didn't care for it. The effect just looked like a black shape, if we got a closeup (I assume so since we got to see him debark at least twice) I didn't pay attention.

>>64499445
How so? Are you saying she or Luke had an actual personality? Because yeah, they both did, but these types of movies have good side characters and, by comparison, much less interesting (personality-wise) heroes. Being a badass is usually trait #1. Fin was a deserter, a bit of a goofball, certainly a horndog, but ultimately overcame his fears. Poe was in this thing 5 seconds and he was obviously a cocksure, dutiful stand up guy.

Rey missed her pham. Luke wanted to be somebody. Anakin wanted to into fascism and knock up the 'shlag.
>>
>>64499347
Eh, nothing really jumps out like "the podrace scene", or "the jabbas palace scene", or "the hoth battle scene", but thats fine, its the first movie and doesn't need a single long scene to define it. I mean, did A New Hope have any elaborate scenes like those? There were some lighter ones like the Mos Eisley cantina showdown and blowing up the death star, on par with the good stuff in TFA.

Some memorable scenes from TFA off the top of my head are the excellent opening, the jacking of the millinium flagon, re-introduction of Han and Chewie, the battle on the green planet (whats it called again?) Hans death, and the final lightsaber duel. The biggest letdown for me was the whole starkiller concept and the assault on it at the end of the movie, I've seen it three times and sort of mentally dozed off every time. It was as forgettable as the death star 2 assault in Return.
>>
>>64499099
i saw it twice in theaters and enjoyed it both times
>>
>>64499099
You're right. As far as remakes of A New Hope go, The Force Awakens did a much better job than Jedi. It was a fun movie. A masterstroke of cinematic brilliance? No, but it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing it again when I get the chance, witch is a fucking miracle considering how much I hated Star Wars until December 18th.
>>
File: IMG_20151231_141103.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151231_141103.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Liked it. About to pic related HI time.

My biggest gripe is that that this movie can't stand on its own two legs the way ANH could.

You think they would've learned after the PT that it's better to make one film and then build into a trilogy rather than think leaving loose threads will entice people. SW is gonna sell anyway what's the point of leaving people hanging?
>>
>>64499569
Luke had personality, he was a whiny teenager yearning for more in his life. He struggled, and he bitched, and he made mistakes, but he eventually matured into a competent adult by RotJ. He also had chemistry with his comrades. Rey is just stony-faced serious at all times, and inexplicably good at everything. She's a boring Mary Sue, Luke was a human bean.
>>
>>64499099
His hood looks like a lego hood
>>
I liked it more than Return as well.

Return has too many problems for me to list. TFA may be a remake of ANH, but at least ANH is a good movie.

Only problem I have besides the rehashed elements are the ending with R2D2 just waking up magically, and Rey. Its not that I don't like Rey, its just that she has a very dull personality and is unexplainably competent for some reason. These issues COULD be addressed in the next 2 movies though.
>>
>>64499692
>there will never be a crossover where The Driver has to help Poe escape while Chromatics blares from the TIE Fighter stereo

I see what you're saying and I agree that Luke had more personality. I think Rey's shortcomings are more evident because she just stumbles into her force powers without really EARNING them. Still, Luke was definitely the weaker character compared to Han, 3PO, even Leia. He's supposed to be the guy that little kids project themselves onto, just like Rey is with the current crop of chicks who don't want to earn their fucking keep in this world and just want to magic into everything.
>>
>>64499641
A New Hope stands alone as a great movie and would still be good if they never finished the original trilogy. But you can't tell me that it didn't have a HELL of a lot of loose ends, just as many if not more than TFA. After seeing the entire original trilogy and the prequels its really difficult to watch ANH as a Star Wars virgin, but rewatch it and try to erase all you know about the series. It references so many things and shows you a lot of stuff without you actually knowing what your looking at yet. I mean, you don't really have a clue what Jedi are, you don't know anything about Vader, barely know about the force, Obi Wan is just some weird hermit who happened to know Lukes dad, we don't really know how.

TFA was good because it gave us some hints, the real test is the next movie and how they reveal everything.
>>
I don't get it. It's this like a reverse reverse shill thread? It's like you're intentionally pretending to being a very obvious shill, which is the point. You're pretending to be a shill, which is funny, but seriously I get it that you're trolling, but there are some people out there that really actually believe that stuff, so be careful, some people might actually believe you
>>
>>64499099

Kylo Ren is probably the best villain so far. Not to mention he seems to be way more powerful than any other villain we've seen, except maybe Palpatine. The powers he uses in the movie are nothing we've seen before.

>Vader can block a blaster shot with his hand
>Kylo can freeze one in mid air

>Vader can force choke people
>Kylo can lock up their entire body

>Vader has to freeze people in carbonite for transportation
>Kylo can use the force to put them to sleep, and just carries them

>Vader uses interrogation droids to extract information
>Kylo can dig into their minds, seeing deep repressed memories

I think these things go overlooked a lot
>>
>>64499812

It didn't have loose ends to the magnitude that TFA does

We are given just enough information, nothing much needs to be explained for us. Ben is the old wise hermit who guides Luke throughout his journey, what he knows about Vader and Luke's dad is irrelevant within the movie because it's its own self contained story. You know what the Jedi are; some ancient warriors of myth that are gone ever since the evil empire arose. You don't need to know anything about the movie to appreciate it

There is absolutely nothing that makes you go "wait why did X happen? How do these things fit into the narrative? What is the motivation for these characters?"

TFA being a direct continuation of the saga is riddled with huge plot holes and loose ends because it takes something that has already been previously established. In ANH you can safely assume that this huge Empire can build a weapon that destroys planets because there's nothing to actively oppose them other than the Rebellion which are clearly underpowered in comparison

In TFA it makes no sense for the First Order to have this mega weapon that can destroy solar systems because there's a galactic-wide government that should be opposing this evil rising faction. It makes no sense for Luke to go off into god knows where and leave his friends and the galaxy to their own because it completely contradicts his character in the OT. Nothing makes sense because it contradicts stuff from previous films

When a film cannot explain certain events or things by itself then it's a problem. No matter how much people want to speculate and say "b-b-but the novel explains it!" it doesn't matter because these things don't make sense within the movie. Not only does it not work as a standalone film, it also doesn't fit within the established SW saga. It's a piece of the puzzle that was forcibly added by smashing up the rest of the pieces (ignoring the PT completely, altering the character arcs from the OT, keeping the GCW status quo)
>>
>>64499935
So far Kylo is my favorite Star Wars villain, I don't care what /tv/ and my friends say. Please don't fuck him up Disney. Everything about him surpassed my expectations as well as went against them. We'll see where it goes, if he fags out I'll take back what I said. It could go anywhere. I'm definitely interested and he's my favorite new character.
>>
>>64500142
You are absolutely correct, and everything you posted is the very reason why episode IV is IMO the greatest Star Wars movie, and hell a great standalone movie even if you don't care about Star Wars. Everything changed with episode V, for better or worse. I'm kind of drunk, but do you get what I'm saying? Everything in ANH made sense because it wasn't living up to anything, it didn't owe us any explanation. It was an entirely new universe that made vague references about the past and nature of things. Every Star Wars story from then on out also has to fit into its story.

I mean, it blew up. There will never be another ANH, or even Empire (I don't like it as much, but they couldn't have made a better sequel). The more Star Wars they make, the more plot holes and corny references and unnecessary cameos we'll end up with. The only reason ANH made sense is because it was the first. From then on it'll make less and less sense and have bigger plot holes, thats the downside of a fiction franchise. But hey, we still eat it up. No Star Wars other than ANH will ever hold up as a standalone film.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.