[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spike Lee did it - he actually topped the dolly shot from Malcolm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Spike Lee did it - he actually topped the dolly shot from Malcolm X with this one. Also, I broke down at the end of Chi-Raq when Chiraq says 'no' to the contract and walks away, and the mothers in white come out from behind the police line. Can we talk about the best film of 2015?
>>
>>64492522
yeah who was your favorite character, mine was Kylo Ren
>>
I kinda want to watch just for the sexy negro ladies.
>>
>>64492522
spike lee fell off a long time ago. now his just trying to milk the black power movement to get some attention again
>>
>>64492799
Importan Joe was pretty cool. I wish Furiosa did more than drive
>>
>>64492522
I loved it too. Even though he HAD to have the white people be buffoons as usual, it's still an incredibly important film. His best since 25th Hour.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 242x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 242x320
>mfw I'm a black guy that likes Spike Lee and even I thought the brother lost his damn mind And what the hell was going on with John Cusack and that accent?
>>
>>64492522

>Can we talk about the best film of 2015?

Sure, dug the massive car chase across the desert. Furiosa cuking Max was da bomb.
>>
Spike Lee has never made a good film
>>
>>64492522
Spike Lee, the nigger who managed to ruin nba this year?
Hahah op confirmed tribesman with no taste

t. Cultured Gentleman
>>
File: critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>Every Spike Lee film is a piece of agitprop, but few of them are entertaining. His newest, Chi-Raq, fails at both goals. The reasons why are as infuriating as today’s uninformative headlines.

>Lee’s use of Public Enemy’s song “Fight the Power” in Do the Right Thing (1989) made for an entertaining opening scene, but there is nothing comparable in Chi-Raq’s agitprop. From pseudo-Greek choruses to Samuel L. Jackson as a pimp/moderator wearing ice-cream-colored suits; heart-to-heart conversations to song-and-dance numbers; statistics and song lyrics in a pre-credit sequence to text-message frames popping up on screen; plus many, many speeches — Chi-Raq is aesthetic chaos. Lee piles up numerous Brechtian strategies as if to enlighten audiences about the issues at stake in Chicago’s crises, but, as usual, he gets to the bottom of nothing. That’s why white liberal critics respond to Lee’s movies more intently than black moviegoers.

>One scene of flagrant badgering shows John Cusack as a lay priest presiding at the funeral of a child (a victim of gang crossfire); his eulogy becomes a ten-minute diatribe against the National Rifle Association, even though the NRA has nothing to do with gang violence. Lee repeats editorial-page ranting as the essence of his insight. As an African-American artist, he fails to look closely at the grievances that cause unrest among young blacks — the reasons why restless males oppose each other, the urges that cause “ride-or-die” females to also sustain turf battles and ego wars. The Lysistrata device does not penetrate the psychic anxiety and cultural traditions of post-slavery African-American life.
>>
>>64495301
was Inside Man agitprop?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.