[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is harry potter better than star wars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10
File: 4533394-6134649770-harry.jpg (870 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
4533394-6134649770-harry.jpg
870 KB, 1200x799
>>
No.
>>
It is not.
>>
both only have 1 good movie
>>
>>64490358
Depends.

If in terms of which world I'd rather live in and be one of the specials in, I'd say Harry Potter.

In terms of movies, dunno, never watched the 4-6 but prefer Harry 1-7 more than SW 1-3

In terms of impact and fans, SW wins hands down
>>
File: 1451668731363.jpg (1 MB, 1596x2856) Image search: [Google]
1451668731363.jpg
1 MB, 1596x2856
Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
They're both very different series.

HP is comfy though. At least the first two movies.
>>
>>64490410
Star Wars has three great movies, two good movies and two shit movies with one or two cool things in them.
>>
>>64490542
>>>/lit/
>>
>>64490593
every star wars movie is bad, except RoTS, which is only kind of bad
>>
I'd rather live in the Star Wars universe but Harry Potter is super comfy
>>
>>64490630
>pleb dogshit
>>>/b/
>>>/trash/
>>>/r/movies
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>64490542
why did you save such uninteresting pasta?
>>
reminder that slytherin is the best house and being a slytherin gets you sweet frat connects and a one-way ticket to the wizarding equivalent of investment banking or management consulting

reminder that hufflepuff is the house for rejects and losers who are neither clever, cunning, nor brave

reminder that ravenclaw is pretty good as long as you stay away from the 'freshman year philosopher' types, of which at least half of them are and total fags
>>
>>64490714
But who has the hottest girls or the most easy?
>>
>>64490714
ravenclaw is for nerds, hufflepuff is for neets, slytherin is for alphas, but then what is grynindor for?
>>
>>64490680
Because its true?
>>
Harry Potter is girl Star Wars.
>>
>>64490825
Leftists
>>
>>64490798

slytherin girls: probably a lot of them are pretty stuck-up, come from really wealthy, well-connected families. Some solid wife material ladies here but not exactly where you'd do to get an easy lay. although I bet if you can get in there, there's a lot of the 'cocaine and leather whip' type sex parties that the rich like to have.

ravenclaw girls: a lot of them are probably completely unfuckable, but also probably a pretty healthy contingent of kinky, hotter than they realize nerds. i bet there's a good, underrated, untapped vein here.

gryffindor girls: probably a lot of jocky, fun girls. I imagine probably pretty easy to get laid if you're relatively alpha, it seems like a fun loving house. but you have to come correct and be bold, i bet if you're a meek loser, a house where girls have self-confidence would not go well for you.

hufflepuff girls: a lot of fat, desperate, loser types, weird girls, and so on. the kind that want to stay in on weekends and just chill out and do nothing interesting. but I bet there's also the kind of girls who just like to party and get fucked up and fuck. i bet there are some easy pickings here.
>>
>>64490358
The only people who could think it's up for debate are HP fans.

It's like the people who debate that the Rolling Stones are better than the Beatles. They're both amazing, but the Beatles were on another league completely.
>>
Is Harry Potter like super big in europe?

Is like no one fucking cares here in America

Yet I see people jizzing over it on the internet
>>
>>64490885
>this
>>
>>64490358

Yes
>>
>>64490825

id say gryffindor is the jockier, more 'alpha' house in the traditional sense. Slytherin is the more WASP-y house.

if george bush is a gryffindor, mitt romney is a slytherin, barack obama is a ravenclaw, and jimmy carter was a hufflepuff.
>>
>>64491050
Its big with low IQ shitskins that use it to learn English
>>
>>64490358
Hermione > no Hermione

Think about it
>>
>>64490358
Tumblr: the book series
>>
>>64491018
harry potter is better acted and produced. i don't like harry potter though aside from the third movie. both are for children
>>
>>64490714
Being in Slytherin is like openly being a neo nazi at a Jewish school. It's the place where all the death eaters' kids conveniently gather in one place. Want to see an end to Voldemorts "army"? Kidnap all the Slytherins and kill them one by one until they surrender unconditionally and turn their comrades in. It's not like they're worthwhile kids to begin with.
>>
>>64490825

Normies, obviously
>>
I want to fuck second movie emma watson
>>
>>64491175
Then you get wizard isis... slysis
>>
>>64491175

lol yeah i mean i bet being in slytherin could really suck because at least a quarter of the slytherin house are fucking frothing wizardo-nazis or weird old-money aristocrats. but i bet the other 3/4 are pretty cool guys, smart and focused, looking to get ahead in the world. you just don't hear about them.

speaking of which, how the fuck did crabb and goyle get in? they were borderline retarded, not cunning or ambitious at all. theres some fucked up wizard nepotism happening there.
>>
>tfw mudblood in real life and would never be accepted in Slytherin
>>
>>64491253

>speaking of which, how the fuck did crabb and goyle get in?

You answered your own question, nepotism
>>
>>64491253
No. They're 100%, mustache twisting evil. There are no "good" Slytherins shown because there aren't any. The old reformed ones are still driven by greed or malice in some way and they hero worship a guy that wanted to exterminate and imprison unpure races (not even talking Voldemort, but Salazar Slytherin). Belonging to Slytherin is pronouncing that you're an irredeemable prick at the very best.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>64491435
>no good slytherins
>Horace Slughorn
>Andromeda Tonks
>Regulus Black
>Severus Snape
>>
>>64491159
>no asians
>no hispanics
>no indians
i'm literally shaking right now
>>
>>64490358
Harry Potter is in the same group as Twilight and The Hunger Games, Star Wars is in another group.
>>
>>64490825
Slytherin is for the bully alpha types, Gryffindor is the house of bro alphas.
>>
>>64491777
>Harry Potter is in the same group as Twilight and The Hunger Games

Fuck no
>>
>>64491777
This. The HP drones will try and tell you otherwise but its true
>>
>>64491777
the difference between those movies and star wars is that they have interesting characters
>>
>>64490358

Yes. That's not saying much, but yes.
>>
>>64491871
Hahaha deal with it you sad little welp.
>>
>>64490465

>In terms of impact and fans, SW wins hands down
>fans
>SW wins

jesus christ, are you for real? the star wars fanbase is the most autistic fanbase there is when it comes to movies. fuck no
>>
>>64491977

Every place on the planet has been touched by starwars, people in remote areas of africa that are without power know what it is.

Impact is something that touches way beyond what it is
>>
File: 1418667814974.png (275 KB, 430x391) Image search: [Google]
1418667814974.png
275 KB, 430x391
>>64491977
>>
Star wars is better but I still enjoy Harry Potter.

As for the movies I think 1-2 are good for the nostalgic value but pretty bland movies, 3 was ok, 4 was good but really lacked detail from the books, 5-6-7 are excellent and 8 was good but also terrible at the same time, mostly the shit ending and bad CGI castle war ruined everything.

Oh and Luna is waifu tier.
>>
No.
>>
>>64492316

In other words, all HP movies were at least decent but most were very good while SW had the 3 awful prequels and 4 other decent to good movies. HP wins and it's not even close. All killer, no filler
>>
File: 1338121967526.jpg (65 KB, 458x288) Image search: [Google]
1338121967526.jpg
65 KB, 458x288
Same anti-art pleb shit, different pile
>>
>>64490358
One of the Patil twins still has her wand..

Both fail to capitalize on their expansive universes. Star Wars probably better because the pre-quels as shit as they are and THe Clone Wars series actually explore the rest of the mythos/lore/etc.
>>
>>64491435
>no good Slytherins
the fuck?
>>
>>64492457

>tfw no Harry Potter animated cartoon or TV show
>>
>>64490465
Maybe because Star Wars has 20 years on HP.
>>
>>64491925
They are still in different groups
>>
>>64492555
I would kill for this.
>>
>>64492471
You have to admit that Rowling kinda fucked up by making the vast majority of them completely unsympathetic assholes who always side with the obviously bad guys.

It's to the point where you have to wonder why Slytherin is even still a thing or why they don't watch the hell over Slytherin.

Like 90% of all Slytherin alumni are fucking pricks.
>>
>>64492664

If JK wasn't a hack she could have made a parallel to the ratio of Arabs/Iranians to terrorists or something.

But she has a mind of a 9 year old and all Syltherins deserve to be locked up at the end while their classmates cheer.
>>
>>64492777
I don't hate JK nor do I hate HP but it was kinda dumb.

Also we almost never get any insight into Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. The former especially is probably the most interesting House that we never get to see much of.
>>
debatable if SW is better or worse than HP
neither are as good or comparable to LotR however
>>
>>64490377
/thread.

The gayest part about harry potter is that not ONE person had a fucking gun.
>>
>>64492664
The rule that "Slytherins are just jerks because they're Slytherins" was established in the first book which was aimed at 8 year olds. As the series progressed JK fleshed out some major Slytherin characters and introduced good and good/bad flip-flopping Slytherin characters.
>>
File: Vernon_rifle_1.jpg (26 KB, 456x326) Image search: [Google]
Vernon_rifle_1.jpg
26 KB, 456x326
>>64493061
>>
No. But tfa is worse than every Potter film, for sure
>>
>>64493235
I'd argue that she still didn't really do that good of a job at fleshing out and humanizing Slytherins though. Most of them still wind up being jerks.
>>
>>64490542
>didn't let speilberg direct
>let an ensemble of talented directors do it instead

wow. she did good
>>
>>64493270
>rifle
nigga please
>>
>>64490358
Sheev would rek Dumbledore and Voldemort.
>>
>>64493270
just imagine the last battle in Hogwarts if there were fucking airstrikes and machine guns. I'm sure the powerful wizards could repel the bullets, but all those giants and monsters and the students? woulda been toast.
>>
>>64493349
In the book it's a rifle, in the movie it's a shotgun
>>
ahahahaha all those fucking manlets holy shit
when will they learn
>>
>>64491586
All out of school by the time the first movie/book begins. Irrelevant. Also, Horace was purposely withholding information that could have stopped Voldemort to protect his reputation. Snape was ONLY helpful because Lily died. If it was just James and a Harry, he'd never have switched sides. One redeeming act doesn't make him good. Regulus and Tonks are the only two that have redeeming qualities beyond "they came around eventually". Those two would have been a worthy sacrifice to eliminate decades of warcrimes perpetuated by their ilk.
>>
Harry Potter
>>
>>64490542
holy shit pls tell me u don't actually believe in that image u posted
>>
>>64491586
two of those willingly joined the wizard nazi movement
>>
>>64493439
The EA Deathly Hollows games were basically Call of Duty: Hogwarts at War anyway.
>>
>>64493482
>All out of school by the time the first movie/book begins. Irrelevant.
>these characters don't count because I say so

>Snape was ONLY helpful because Lily died
Snape switched sides because he realized that people actually got hurt by his dumb shenanigans. When most people joined the Death Eaters they were teenagers and pretty much like 4chan nerds all pepped up on ideas of supremacy. A lot of them bailed when shit got real and people started dying. Snape didn't just run from the Death Eaters but spent nearly 10 years undercover and died hated alone to undo his wrongs.
>>
>>64493235
Slytherins in the early books were basically meant to be HP's version of the Sith, right down to ambition + wizard = evil while SW had passion + Jedi = evil.

Probably the only thing that stopped Rowling from keeping to that formula in later books is how popular Draco became.
>>
>>64494040
Yeah because they were raised by families who believed in wizarding purity and then they were pushed into social groups full of people who shared those ideas. Both Regulus and Snape realized their errors and died trying to atone for them.
>>
>>64494273
Snape only did after finding out that one of the people he told Voldemort to kill was his childhood waifu.
>>
>>64490358

Nobody non-ironically watches Harry Potter nowadays and the fact that they cucked Hermione only makes things worse. Ghost Buster with chicks worse.

So the answer is no.
>>
>>64494177
>probably the only thing
Or she just started developing the universe a lot more and strayed away from the old "bad guys are bad because they are bad."
One of the big themes in HP is choosing your destiny. Harry could have been a Slytherin but he chose not to be. Plus he says to his kids that it's okay if you're in Slytherin. Sure they started off typically evil for the sake of evil but the plot required more depth to its characters than that as readers got older and the books became more complex.
>>
>>64494347
Yeah and Snape begged Voldemort not to kill her. Her death just showed Snape that Voldy didn't give a shit about him or any of his followers.
Once Voldemort was partially destroyed by the Killing Curse rebounding Snape was pretty much in the clear as long as he kept his head down. He didn't have to join the Order, he didn't have to act as a double agent, he didn't have to die to take down Voldemort.
>>
File: gods and mortals.png (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gods and mortals.png
39 KB, 400x400
>yfw when voldemort did nothing wrong
>yfw when muggleshits have b een destroying magical history from the beginning
>yfw when they celebrate christmas not yule, halloween not samhain
>yfw dumbledore is a pandering weak willed leftie cuckold
>yfw magics have every right to treat muggles like shit, considering the past crusades against witches and magick in general
>>
After Voldemort is defeated and global wizard equality is achieved, the influx of half-breeds and less-capable wizards into Hogwarts and other magical schools grows dramatically. Criticisms of this change are met with accusations of bigotry, including calls of "you are starting to sound a lot like You Know Who with that talk!" This process continues, with miscegenation becoming "all the rage" for the next hundred years.

By the year 2100, magical blood lines have become so diluted that very few people can actually use magic. Magical creatures find that they cannot communicate with students at school, wands begin to refuse ownership, and tensions rise as "pure" students begin to unite. The fear of a return to the Dark Days is still strong, and those critics who raise concerns over the decline in quality and use of magic are called "bigots" for their anti-muggleblood views.

In more progressive circles, prominent "intellectual" wizards begin to suggest that magic doesn't really exist- not objectively, anyway. It is merely a social construct, and witchcraft and wizardry can manifest themselves in many different forms, most of which don't involve the use of magic at all. This is met with great approval by the majority of muggleborns, though there is still discontent among those who continue to actually use magic "correctly".

To combat growing discontent, the Ministry of Magic decrees that "flagrant displays of magic" are now illegal on school grounds, as this can result in prejudice and feelings of unwelcomeness for muggleborn witches and wizards, who are utterly incapable of casting spells (even those who manage to keep wands). The school removes most of it's "applied magic" curriculum, instead replacing it with "Justice-Oriented Magic" and "Muggleborn Studies", which focus on present-day social issues and the various expressions of "Alternative Magic" that are popular at the time, such as Ouija boards, Tarot cards, and divination of palms and tea-leaves.
>>
>>64490358
Yeah, Harry Potter is a lot better than Star Wars.
>>
>>64493625
HOOOOOLY FUCK
MUH DICK
>>
>>64494560
Voldie was actually a filthy halfblood
So was Harry
So was snaps

All tip top wizards. Harry was actually mediocre desu

But anyway Voldemort was a fucking hypocrite and literally worse than hitler
>>
>>64494759
Snape was a Potions Master, not necessarily good wizard

Voldemort had immense knowledge of magic in general

Harry was weak as shit, basically only beat Voldemort cause of fate of some other dumb shit

Voldemort was only a hypocrite when he went insane during the 70's, presumably because he split his soul so many times.

100% soul
Diary - 50% left
Ring - 25% left
Locket - 12.5% left
Cup - 6.25% left
Diadem - 3.125% left
Nagini - 1.5625% left
Potter - .78125% left

You can see that he really didn't start going batshit until the late 70s.

Look, I just think that JK is a shitty author and wrote these books as some sort of shitty Mary Sue-Gary Sue, leaving Voldemort no personality, goals, or desires. He was just evil snake man, kill kill.

And for all this Dumbledore is best schtick she had going, Dumbledoresure didn't give Tom Riddle a chance. From the moment he met the boy, Tom was "evil" and "couldn't be saved."
>>
>>64494759
Dumbledore was half-blood as well

>>64495065
>Snape was a Potions Master, not necessarily good wizard
He was the only one besides Voldemort that could fly and was always said to be a GOAT at Dark Magic stuff by Dumbledore
>>
File: 312uyhh.jpg (27 KB, 464x351) Image search: [Google]
312uyhh.jpg
27 KB, 464x351
No, it's, not, it's bullish.
Oh, hi mark
>>
>>64490358
not even half as good as the star wars prequels
>>
>>64491871
>hunger games and twilight star a protaganist with incredibly bland personalities apart from one trait so they can be easily related with in a vague but somewhat interesting setting with very little explained about the world
>generic bad guy with generic goals
>in the end everyone learns that they are special
Face it dude Harry Potter is exactly the same
>>
>>64491925
>implying Harry fucking Potter inspired as many youths with a lasting emotional impact as Luke Skywalker did
I doubt that Harry Potter has the GLOBAL recognition that Star Wars does. Even if you havent seen star wars its almost impossible to not know at least one character. Harry Potter is a western phenomenon only, and even then is really restricted to USA, UK, and probably Canada. Star wars meanwhile, is everywhere.
>>
>>64495065
Riddle's transformation into Voldemort is still one hundred times better than Anakin into Darth Vader.
>>
>>64495885
Isn't HP ridiculously popular in Japan?
>>
>>64495885
Again, Star Wars has 20 years on HP.

>>64495109
Also occulemcy and Patronus charm (which even though kids don't seem to have much trouble with it, people in the HP universe constantly remark on how advanced it is)
>>
>>64495885
that post was a joke, but every star wars character is extremely shallow... the only change characters go through is from good to evil or evil to good, which is an extremely simplistic and childish interpretation of morality. the star wars universe is much less interesting than people give it credit for, unless looked at from the perspective of a child.
>>
>>64495983
That's sorta what I was saying with that post, however JK doesn't even show it as a transformation... Tom was always "evil"
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.