[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Meme understanding Han and Leia got together in Return of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: jj_abrams.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jj_abrams.jpg
58 KB, 1024x768
>Meme understanding
Han and Leia got together in Return of the Jedi!
>Deeper understanding
Their relationship would never work out.

>Meme understanding
Luke is a noble and great hero, and the best Jedi!
>Deeper understanding
Luke doesn't really understand what a Jedi is, and he can be a coward.

>Meme understanding
Han Solo is an amazing smuggler
>Deeper understanding
Han Solo is a total hack who gets lucky sometimes

>Meme understanding
Leia is a strong woman who doesn't need anyone
>Deeper understanding
Leia has strong emotions that she suppresses

JJ understands Star Wars more than I thought he would. I'm impressed.
>>
Too bad he doesn't understand what a strong female protagonist is.
>>
>Meme understanding
As Han Solo says in Episode IV: A New Hope, jumping to hyperspace is no easy thing. You have to make some preparations and wait for the computer to make all the navigation calculations, 'cause otherwise you could fly through a star or jump into a supernova and you're dead.

>Deeper understanding
You can jump to hyperspace anything (like starkiller base deathly shots) from everywhere (like just inside a cargo ship) to everywhere (like starkiller base surface through the atmosphere) in a matter of seconds.

I mean, why was George Lucas such a fool. He could have just hyperspaced some bombs to the Death Star's reactor and boom: fuck you Death Star! No need for x-wing squadrons.
>>
He added more depth to the old characters, but left the new characters fairly average. Finn sounds cool conceptually, but his background wasn't really explained much. Rey was kind of boring, I'm not gonna lie. Kylo was pretty interesting, but it's easy to make the villains interesting in a story so I'm not too impressed. Poe didn't really have much purpose at all. I hope they flesh the characters out a bit more in the next movie. And I really hope that Rey isn't Luke's daughter because that wouldn't surprise anyone at all
>>
>people aren't sure whether to call Leia "princess" since her planet was destroyed
>there are people still loyal to the Alderaan royal family (like that guy at the start)
Good attention to detail. Seems like things were actually thought through.
>>
>>64486155
Actually I just thought of something:

Their entire plan hinged on them getting out of hyperspace just bellow the shield, and infiltrating the crucial part of the ship, where for some reason they knew Rey is also being held, since that was Finn's plan.

Imagine if the station was rotated just a few degrees in any direction. It would be like landing in Chicago, and wanting to infiltrate the White House.
>>
>Luke can be a coward

Hold the fuck up, because that's bullshit.

Luke went into the battle of hoth
Stood up against Darth Vader
Stood up against Jabba and his thugs and they got BTFO, all to save his friends
Stood up against the Emperor and Vader

He may be a dweeb, but he's still brave. I'd like to think that he went to that planet to find the temple and train more, Goku-style.
>>
>>64485797
>Han Solo is a total hack who gets lucky sometimes

I guess that's why he was able to close-ranger hyperspace jump through Starkiller Base's shields, eh friendo?
>>
>>64485797

It's all a matter of trust. People who believe Disney and JJ are incapable and could not grasp anything beyond the most cursory and marketable knowledge will find that in TFA, those who believe Disney and JJ aren't so stupid and incompetent as to avoid doing research to make TFA a proper development of the elements that already existed in Star Wars, will find themselves enjoying the movies.

Pick your meme, folks.
>>
>>64486366
>He may be a dweeb, but he's still brave.
He has moments where he "snaps" and goes into hero mode. But his natural instinct is to doubt himself. He'd be hugely affected if he led to his friends' son becoming evil.
>>
>>64486366
Don't forget the part where it was because of him that Leia even got rescued, because the plan was only to wait until Obi-Wan turns off the shield generators and stay safe until then, but he insisted they risk their life, to save the princess.
>>
>>64486439

Han literally says he doesn't know if it will work and has never chosen to worry about that. He's definitely brave and can put on a good face but he's not truthful or practiced in any of his boasts or maneuvers.
>>
>>64485797
>Meme understanding
Rei is a mary sue
>Deeper understanding
Rei is an empowered and competend female protagonist
>>
>>64486503
>He is a pussy because he doubts himself
Dude. Someone who doesn't doubt their abillity to single handedly restore order in the galaxy, because of the gift of some mystical power they knew little about, defeating one (two by the time of Jedi) of the most feared and powerful people in existence is an ego maniac
Doubting whether or not you can take on a task no one else in the galaxy managed to do so far is not cowardly. It's comprehending the impossible odds.

Let's not forget that these movies came out before every movie was a video game where the protagonist knows they cannot lose
>>
>>64486366

Luke is ALWAYS running into danger to try to help his friends.

In ANH he's the one who wants to go and save the princess while Han doesn't want to.
Then he goes with a bunch of other pilots to destroy the Death Star, while Han runs away (even if he comes back later)

In ESB he goes into battle in Hoth and faces the AT-ATs, one of the most powerful Empire vehicles
Then he leaves Dagobah because he feels his friends are in danger, even when Yoda tells him to stay, and runs to fight Vader

etc.

He's not a fucking coward, JJ made him a coward.
>>
>>64485797
>han
>hack

nah lad
>>
>>64485797

>Meme understanding
The Millenium Falcon is the fastest ship because Han said so
>Deeper understanding
The Millenium Falcon is a piece of shit that Han talked up to con a dumb hick boy and an old coot into paying him for passage. It's only still flying because of its crew's (ie. Han & Chewie's) intimate knowledge of her workings and their lack of money.

Too bad JJ didn't grasp that
>>
>>64486703
>Too bad JJ didn't grasp that
They literally introduce it by calling it garbage
>>
>>64485797
This is why professional critics whose job it is to analyse films enjoy his work, but the pleb masses on /tv/ don't. JJ Abrams is secretly patrician.
>>
>>64486966

Just like Luke!

Then Rey masterfully pilots the Falcon by herself. Which took both Han and Chewie, or in the case of Lando, an additional 3 crew members in the cockpit
>>
>>64486966
And then the moment they find out it's the Millenium Falcon, they can't stop gurgling on its dick, and saying how amazing it is.
>>
>>64487250
>this is the millennium falcon? You're Han Solo?
That's it. The gurgle its dick because it's a famous ship, not because it's good.
>>
>>64486539
Yeah, he just had the raw intuition as a pilot to be able to pull off the maneuver without vaporizing everyone, and successfully navigate an asteroid field in the OT.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>64486155
>>64486313
Maybe hyperspace navigating had improvements over 30 years?
>>
>>64487401
not on the same old ship from 30 years go
>>
>>64487490

Obviously it's fine because of the improvements
>>
>>64485797
The irony is that JJ is a total hack who just got lucky
>>
>>64485797
>han gets lucky
He has a high midichlorean count. That explains all of his skills and explains why Kylo is so powerful coming from two parents with strong force blood. He simply doesn't believe in the force enough to wield it.
>>
>Meme understanding
Palpatine is evil
>Deeper understanding
Palpatine is not evil at all, he's just a good politician
>>
>>64487321
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8HTKLsKkU

falcon is at least 90 years old of course is garbage highly modified garbage
>>
>>64487401

Yeah I bet those scavengers made a lot of sick improvements to the Millenium Falcon while it was taking dust parked out there (remember Rey said nobody flied the ship for years).

I'm sick of you fools trying to justify JJ for all of his "let's just do this because it looks cool" shit, when he didn't even try to justify any of it at all.

Including:
> hyperspacing from inside cargo ships
> hyperspacing through atmospheres and shields into planets
> hyperspacing death beams
> being able to watch said death beams thousands of light years away
> building planet-sized death stars on self-exiled losers tier budget
> the planet-sized death star to be 'use and throw' because it needs to drain its own sun every shoot OR hyperspacing an entire planet
> placing your most valuable prisoner in the most vulnerable spot of the entire planet-sized death star
> hyperspacing to this exact spot just like nothing
and not forgetting many others like...
> Rey speaking wookie
> a stormtrooper with a lightsaber being a match for a sith/dark knight/whatever you want
> the space reggae pub in the middle of nowhere that's still very crowded though you don't know how or why all that people got there
> the space reggae pub owner who knows everything and has Luke's lightsaber yet doesn't notice she's pub is filled with spies
> the simple fact that both First Order and the Resistance have spies in this pub, I mean wouldn't they rather be tracking where the Resistance base is or checking if these imperials are building another Death Star instead of being getting some drinks with Maz?

And so on.
>>
Leia and Han's relationship only failed because Han ran away from his problems instead of dealing with them. All signs point to them having a happy and fulfilling marriage until Ben went over to the dark side

it's a recurring theme of the movie. Kylo Ren murders his father instead of dealing with his pain head on. Luke leaves the galaxy instead of trying to help fight the First Order, etc.
>>
>>64488125

she's pub -> her pub*

fug
>>
>>64485797
I actually agree he nailed that shit OP, but let me burst your bubble

>Meme understanding
The force is cool magic powers that lets you do cool stuff!
>Deeper understanding
The force is religion distilled down to its most basic appeal, that the impossible is possible through belief

JJ and Kasdan completely omitted the central theme of the force in a movie called THE FORCE AWAKENS. There are no scenes like luke turning off his targeting computer to trust his faith, or luke telling yoda that lifting his x-wing is "impossible", and yoda replying "that is why you fail".
>>
>>64485797

Throwing the word meme around like an idiot.
>>
>>64488125
>a stormtrooper with a lightsaber being a match for a sith/dark knight/whatever you want
got btfo when ren got tired of toying with him
>the space reggae pub in the middle of nowhere that's still very crowded though you don't know how or why all that people got there
you mean exactly like jabba's palace?
>>
>>64488125
>this autism

holy shit, how do you people even enjoy movies

I bet you're the guy who unironically doesn't like LotR because they should have just flown the Eagles to Mordor
>>
>>64488517

>got btfo

He actually got to hit Ren

>jabba's palace
>palace

It's a palace, not a pub.

Jabba is there with all his servants and slaves. Most of those people probably live there, and the only visitors from the outside are Boba and Luke and his friends.

Now this Maz place is a fucking pub/cantina. People go there for some drinks and then go home. They don't live there. Or at least that's how normal pubs work.

Now the question is: given that this thing is in the middle of nowhere, would you travel across the galaxy (ok, let's just say the planet) to go to Maz's? Where are all the ships of all that people parked? Did they get there walking? Even more: Where are those 'clean ships' Han went looking for to this place? How come did they finally go in the Millenium Falcon to the rebel base if it was so 'filthy' and easily traceable? They just saw the enemy blowing up some planets and they thought now it was less risky for the imperials to know where the base was?

Stop defending JJ's bullshit. He didn't care, why should you?
>>
>>64485797
Tell thst to kanjiklub Jar Jar.
>>
>>64488282
>luke telling yoda that lifting his x-wing is "impossible", and yoda replying "that is why you fail".
I always thought that the Force was like that Bible verse, "if you had even a mustard seed of faith, you could move mountains".

In other words, literally anything is easy to do, but people are held back by not believing they can do it.

But of course then a fight between two force masters wouldn't be a lightsabre battle. It'd be two people willing each other out of existence.
>>
>>64488880

I like LotR. I like all 6 of the other Star Wars movies (even though the prequels are not great, but I take them because I like Star Wars). This film I somewhat enjoyed (even though I think it doesn't feel Star Wars and has serious flaws), but I can't stand people trying to make logic out of what has none.
>>
>>64488905
>he actually got to hit ren
ren's a sado masochist and a cuck

ok I agree that the area the pub was at seemed kind of scarce. would have preferred to see some towns or settlements around like mos eisley but it doesn't mean they don't exist because they weren't shown on screen. laziness on their part.
>>
>>64488282
>Rey letting the Force guide her to beat Kylo
There you go
>>
>>64486029
These movies are practically written by focus groups.
>>
People change. I was pretty brave in high school, willing to fight people who shit talked my friends and doing reckless shit.

10 years later I'm reluctant to drive anywhere out of fear someone will hit me. I'd probably shit myself now if someone tried to fight me.

30 years is a long time, and Luke was young. I hate
>>
>>64489114
>Oh i forgot i had powers lol!
>Test of faith

no
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.