[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Phantom Menace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: phantom menace.jpg (224 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
phantom menace.jpg
224 KB, 500x636
Just saw this last night, and I actually enjoyed it.

I don't understand the hate or the negative response toward Qui-Gon betting and the trade dispute (RLM)

It all made sense to me, even though I wondered why Palpatine couldn't just forge the the signature.

I think if Lucas removed that part, the movie would improve a lot. It has the same Lucas voice that's apparent in A New Hope, which is missing completely in TFA.

You guys should watch this flick with an open mind.

No, this isn't bait. I liked it.
>>
>feels the need to mention the plinkett reviews
>pinky swears he's not baiting
Yep, it's a contrarian bait thread.
>>
File: heavy.jpg (119 KB, 350x440) Image search: [Google]
heavy.jpg
119 KB, 350x440
It's been hilarious seeing all you fuckers doing a total 180 on the prequels after TFA came out.
>>
>>64470885
Because those were topics in the RLM review, anon. Mike went over and over how it didn't make any sense, even though Qui-Gon explained to Watto and the audience, very carefully, what he wanted in return.

>First: He would sponsor Anakin in the race. If Anakin wins, Qui-Gon gets the hyperdrive generator. If he looses, then Watto keeps Qui-Gon's ship.

>Second bet: Now that Qui-Gon knows about Selbulba, he changes his bet, saying that he wants both Anakin and Shmi. Since Watto disagrees, Qui-Gon wants Anakin then. They roll, Qui-Gon cheats, and wins.

It's not that hard to grasp.
>>
>>64470773

TPM is my favourite prequel and I don't understand why everyone sucks off RotS on this board, for me it's Clones-tier.

I guess most of the people on this board weren't old enough to see it when it came out
>>
>>64470939
>Constantly bombarded with prequel hate on the internet
>Decide to ignore them
>TFA comes out
>More prequel hate and love
>Ehh, why not, I'll give it a shot
Can't blame a guy for trying, anon.
>>
>>64470970

You're missing the point. Why are there teo bets in the first place, why needlessly complicate a plot point that will be dropped not five to ten minutes later. Its indicative of the movie really, how needlessly complicated and sterile it all is when it could be written far more efficiently for better effect.

I too think its the best of the prequels, since its the one that tries to be the most fun
>>
>>64470939
Seeing /tv/ be contrarian is always enjoyable.
>>
>>64471112
I disagree, there's nothing complicated here at all.

Because Selbulba is guaranteed to win, and especially since Anakin hasn't won a race. Due to the difficult challenge, Qui-Gon wants a stronger bet on his end. So he now wants the parts for the ship and Anakin's freedom.

It's not complicated at all. Factor in Qui-Gon's character, a man who lives by his own rules and ignores those who tell him what to do, like the council or Obi-Wan. It all makes sense to me.
>>
There's things I don't like about the prequels and its fun to mock some of the inconsistencies but honestly I never felt the extreme vitriol that so many others seem to feel
>>
>>64470773
>/tv/ is pretending to like the prequels now

ITS HAPPENING
>>
File: uouuouogh.jpg (15 KB, 206x191) Image search: [Google]
uouuouogh.jpg
15 KB, 206x191
>>64470773
>flick
>this isn't bait
>>
>>64470997
I think age plays a strong role in the hate. I'm going to watch AOTC and ROTS today or tomorrow.

>>64471170
Yeah, and like >>64471112 said, the writing could've been more stronger, like in TPM, but TPM honestly wasn't bad at all. It's overblown hate imo.

It's very different compared to "I want to be ANH" TFA, which I admired.
>>
>>64470773

It's at least the movie that really highlights that the Jedi were the morally questionable force in the universe and simply had to go. In the interest of 'peace' Qui-Gon stands by and watches a kid get ripped away from his slave mother, who will be eventually raped and beaten to death.

Why not just take your lightsaber, hold it to the flying Jew's neck, and ask if he'd like to sell the mother as well? Right, because the Jedi are cultural relativists who see no problem in allowing such activities to thrive.
>>
It's going to be remembered as a true classic after Disney has a few more years to rape the franchise further.
>>
>>64471163

I'm afraid you missed my point. Its not WHAT Qui Gon is doing, its how its written that is the issue. Sure you understand it fine, but that doesn't negate the fact that its needlessly convoluted for what that scene is trying to accomplish.

Again, the issue is with how its written
>>
>>64471344
You are just parroting what other people told you, I never had a problem understanding this scene even as a kid.
>>
>>64471459

Again, for the second time you've misunderstood what I said. Fuck me for trying to express how something is overwritten to a faggot
>>
>>64470773
>It has the same Lucas voice that's apparent in A New Hope

It had way more soul too
and it just had that Star Wars *feel*
>>
>>64471344
It's not convoluted. At this point, it seems you're mind set it stuck in prequel hate mode.

Come back when you see clearly.
>>
>>64471601
It really is a shame that's the tip of the iceberg with issues with the prequels
>>
>>64471511
>implying I'm even the same guy
It's not overwritten.
Just because it doesn't cater to your down syndrome sensibilities it doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
File: rational candylips man.jpg (33 KB, 716x537) Image search: [Google]
rational candylips man.jpg
33 KB, 716x537
>>64470773
It was a dull, confused movie
It was overly ambitious and insultingly childish at the same time. You had poop jokes mixed with murder and political intrigue.

The characters couldn't carry it, so all that was left were some neat action scenes and a great score.

You don't need a 90 minute review to explain this.
>>
Prequels
>computer painted fantasy cosmos straight out of Lucas' head

TFA
>filled with real shit that leaves nothing to imagination
>>
>>64471344
>Qui-Gon places a bet
>Watto jerks off to Selbulba's victories and "he always wins!"
>Qui-Gon, afraid, decides to make a new bet.
>Convoluted! xD
0/10 anon, apply yourself
>>
>>64471601

It absolutely is more convoluted and clunky than it needs to be, considering the scene os suppose to illustrate Qui Gon's cleverness but since Wado is already sort of stupid it comes off as overly complicated and not particularly clever.

This is again the third time I've had to explain simple scripting issues.
>>
>>64471191
Well I don't love them but now it's safe to talk about the enjoyable aspects without everyone jumping down your throat
>>
>>64471745
I never saw it as Qui-Gon trying to be clever other than him hiding the fact that the pod isn't his. Qui-Gon wants to leave the world, but with Anakin too, why is this so difficult for you idiots?
>>
>>64471703
>>64471601
>It's not overwritten.
>It's not convoluted.
did having two bets instead of one further the narrative, or inform our understanding of Qui Gon's characters in any meaningful way?
>>
I like Ep1 the best because it was before Lucas discovered he could just green screen everything. It looks more natural and like the old movies.
>>
>>64471785
See >>64471727

If you were in Qui-Gon's position, you would too raise your initial bet because of Selbulba. Why take the chance?
>>
>>64470939
I've been defending the prequels for years now and I'm certainly not the only such poster on /tv/. And I fucking loved Phantom Menace all the way back in 1999, dude you don't even know.

Not everything is the result of contrarian bandwagoning.
>>
>>64471703

I understood it fine, even back when I saw it as a kid. Doesn't change the fact that its written incredibly poorly, or is discussing simple problems in your childrens movie triggering your autism.

>>64471727

> lets spend time writing and rewriting how Qui Gon pulls a fast one over Wado
> this is important for the overarching plot in the phantom menace and does a very good job characterizing Qui Gon
>>
>>64471879
Let's not forget that Qui-Gon felt Anakin the moment he arrived via the Force. Since he's risking his ship, and because Selbulba is the top podracer, why not raise the initial bet you gave?

Think about it. Qui-Gon knows what's he's doing.
>>
>>64471823

Literally missed the point of that post. Selbulba is another character that can be altered, its not like they need to adhere to his character in any meaningful way.

>>64471782

There are better ways to keep the plot moving for Qui Gon to leave with Anakin. All this tunnel vision is embarrassing
>>
>>64471823
That doesn't answer the question, goofus

Do you understand the concept of a lean script? If a line or action isn't contributing to the narrative or character development in any meaningful way, then it is unnecessary. It doesn't matter if it "makes sense".

If a script has unnecessary lines or actions, its overwritten. This is not a complicated issue.
>>
>>64471926
>Selbulba is another character that can be altered, its not like they need to adhere to his character in any meaningful way.
What are you talking about? Please clarify

>There are better ways to keep the plot moving for Qui Gon to leave with Anakin. All this tunnel vision is embarrassing
Yes, anon, let's pretend that Qui-Gon goes full Rambo and charges at Watto, killing him, and stealing the part he needs. yes.
>>
>>64470773
I like it too.
There is nothing wrong with the PT the isn't also wrong with the OT.
>>
>>64471926
>Selbulba is another character that can be altered, its not like they need to adhere to his character in any meaningful way.

Why go to Tatooine at all then, why not set the entire movie in the tea room of the trade federation ship, it's more streamlined so it's better! it's simpler so it's better!
>>
>>64471933
My sides.

There's nothing overwritten about it, especially when Watto makes light of Selbulba to Qui-Gon right before the race. It's a good reaction on Qui-Gon's part. Qui-Gon doesn't have to spell out his agenda to you, Nolan eater. He has a plan and wants to succeed.
>>
>>64471933
If you still don't see it. Watch the scene, anon.

Qui-Gon questions Watto as to why he believes that Watto will win, ect, and then changes his bet. He doesn't say "Hey brah, gonna change that bet now! xD"
>>
>>64471944

What I mean is the argument that so and so had to do anything because of another is silly because its all written and thus could be rewritten to better tell its story.

Arguing what characters can and cannot do because of what other characters (especially minor characters) interfer with that is an argument for bad writing.

>>64471983

Wow its almost as if minor characters don't carry nearly the same weight as major plot points and settings in the script! Do you work for hollywood?
>>
>>64471983
Are you honestly getting this defensive over basic scripting principles?
>>
>>64472069
>Watto
Selbulba*
>>
>>64472075
Watto failed to mention Selbulba and his great chances to Qui-Gon and decides to gush about him right before the race, with high confidence. Of course Qui-Gon isn't going go roll over and say "good luck." All is on the line, so he changes it, wanting to free Anakin as well as acquiring the parts he needs.
>>
>>64472087
no u
>>
>>64472069
>it makes sense
>but what does it contribute to the character or narrative?
>it makes sense
>but what does it contribute to the character or narrative?
>it makes sense

This has been a really engaging conversation
>>
>>64471785
The first one is not even a bet, he simply uses his ship as collateral so Watto would pay the entry fee, he does is purely to get what he wanted: the parts to fix the ship.
THEN he finds out Watto is betting everything on Sebulba, so he bets the pod for the boy since he finds out Watto has no trust in the boy at all which gives him leverage for a more favorable bet.
>>
>>64472163

So you ignored my point. Fine, I'm genuinely glad you like the movie that much.
>>
>>64472190
You're failing to read my posts, anon. I'm saying, exactly what the narrative is trying to say and it makes sense. You're pointlessly arguing about "lean scripting" and basic principles without even factoring in the characters (wants, needs, and hidden agendas). It's clear, again, again, that Qui-Gon can't risk anything, especially loosing Anakin. He has strong feelings over him and his 20,000 midi-chlorian count confirms his belief.

And he has to leave with the others on the broken ship, so he needs to hurry up.
>>
>>64472190
Maybe for you.
>>
Why did Vader rely on Boba to capture Han and Leia? Why have a third party finding out where the Falcon went to?
Why did he do that whole convoluted thing about hiding in Cloud City and freezing Han? Why not just capture them when they land and torture them to bait out Luke and that's it?
Why even have Cloud City? They could have been captured in the asteroid and it would end exactly the same.
>>
>>64472243

>needs to leave in a hurry
> the script spends all this time with fucking watto of all things

Admit that there is probably a tighter way to do the watto stuff that doesn't come off as a waste of time. Pls, restore my faith in this board
>>
>>64470773
In the end it's all about Jar Jar. The movie has obvious faults but they would probably be forgiven if it wasn't for Jar Jar. Also maybe because it was the first prequel, after the first prequel the people expected nothing but it wasn't the case for the Phantom Menace that had to compete directly with the OT.
>>
>>64472310

Read the second part of this

>>64472075
>>
>>64472320
You could nitpick almost any movie this way, Mike.
This is not something that justifies why people don't like TPM.
>>
>>64470885
The plinkett reviews are now null and void after RLM shilled hardcore for TFA
>>
>>64472087
>basic scripting principles

art's subjective friendo, just because your Screenwriting For Dummies subreddit says you need to cut off all extraneous details and have the plot be as streamlined, simple and boring as possible does not necessarily mean it's 100% true you dig?
>>
File: 50 cent dislikes this.png (129 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
50 cent dislikes this.png
129 KB, 300x300
Is /tv/ the most pathetic userbase on 4chan? The contrarian mental gymnastics regarding Star Wars: TFA is incredible and at the same time absolutely loathsome.

The constant denial, backtracking and moving the goalposts.

>"TFA will be shit! Fucking Jew Jew Abrams, fucking nigger main character, fucking SJWs! People won't accept this! It will be worse than the prequels and a total flop!"
>Trailer drops. Record pre-sales, screenings booked out months in advance. Hype incredibly high.
>"I-it'll still be a flop! Guaranteed to be shit! Phantom Menace sold well too before people realised it was shit! N-nigger character!"
>TFA releases. 5 star reviews, record opening day. People love based Johnny B's performance, and he's very well received.
>"o-ok it might not be as bad as we thought, but it's still not going to beat Jurassic World! Disney are finished!"
>Beats Jurassic World, despite being released in off-season and no Chinese release.
>"J-just wait until based RLM eviscerates it for being A New Hope ripoff in a Mr Plinkett review! You'll f-fucking see then Starfags!"
>Mike loves it. RLM approve and think it has saved the Star Wars franchise from the prequels.
>"FUCKING SHIT FILM, MARY SUE JEW SHIT. PREQUEL LOVE THREAD. WHO FUCKING LOVES ATTACK OF THE CLONES? I DO. REVENGE OF THE SITH WAS BETTER THAN ROTJ. BASED GEORGE LUCAS. WELL AT LEAST TFA WON'T BEAT AVATAR

The mouthbreathing basement dwellers who strive to be contrarian have been backed into a corner really, they started so verbose. So confident that the film would be a flop, not break any records and would be panned by critics. Slowly as TFA has BTFO them on every conceivable level, they've been reduced to adopting some bizarre cult-like contrarian attitude to the prequels, proclaiming them as underrated gems, and trying to push some kind of narrative where if TFA doesn't beat Avatar, it's somehow failed, despite already being a record breaking movie and saving Star Wars.
>>
>>64472353
Boba is a minor character that heavily changed the plot because he interfered (I want Han for the bounty so we need to capture him alive and do all this cloud city arc).
>>
>>64472246
and this couldn't be established through a single bet?

>It's clear, again, again, that Qui-Gon can't risk anything, especially loosing Anakin
and yet he LITERALLY wagers on him and then puts him in a death race. How does that fit, at all, with your interpretation of the scene?

What was Qui Gon's plan if Anakin lost? or exploded? Is that when he planned to just threaten Watto?
>>
>>64472399
not reading that wall of autism thanks
>>
>>64472392
this
>>
>>64472357
> RLM must be behind this!

Did they even mention the script when talking about the Watto stuff?

>>64472397

True, except in this case its correct. You're being subjective when you say you like it, but objectively from a screenwriting standpoint there is a much tighter way to do that scene.
>>
>>64472425
I'm not that guy, friend.
>>
>>64472397
>art's subjective friendo
I don't have to justify my opinions
just listen and believe
>>
>>64472425
see
>>64472206

Also Qui-Gon knew Anakin had a hidden powerlevel which makes him put a lot of faith in the boy.
>>
>>64472453
>objectively from a screenwriting standpoint there is a much tighter way to do that scene.
Again, you could nitpick almost any movie in this way,

This is not something that justifies the irrational hatred surrounding the movie.
>>
>>64472415

Boba is a very minor character that only retroactively became important from the prequels.

He's just a gun for hire who gets eaten by the giant sand vagina on Jedi. Greedo in cool armor, phasma except he did stuff
>>
>>64472399
checked
>>
>>64472437
>sticking fingers in your ears
>>
>>64472320
In terms of scripting, Qui-Gon doesn't have a choice, anon. It's been confirmed that Watto has the part Qui-Gon needs, and Watto also owns Anakin, who interests Qui-Gon as well.

Even though it may seem like Lucas stretched out the Tatooine scenes because of the build up to the podracing sequence, we do feel what the characters are feeling. They've been stranded there for a while. Meanwhile Naboo is under siege, and Sidious sent Maul to hunt down the Jedi and the Queen.
>>
>>64472425
Why did Luke put himself in extreme danger and faced the Emperor? What was his plan if he lost?
>>
>>64472508
>This is not something that justifies the irrational hatred surrounding the movie.
you're moving the goalposts now, nobody ever said it was

If you want a broader explanation, I think this pretty much covers it >>64471705
>>
>>64472508
Its not nitpicking, we're talking about that specific scene anon. There are plenty of scenes that work, and some that could have gone through a few more rewrites. This feels like one of those, but Luke and Vadar's encounter at the end of Empire is pretty perfect.

And who is talking about the irrational hate for the movie here? We're talking about how retarded this scene is
>>
>>64472588
>
>>64471705
Doesn't say anything that isn't subjective.
>>
>>64471705
Way to simplify and ignore much of the clear exposition that explains everything, buddy. You better run along back to your RLM friends.
>>
You autists don't even realize the first "bet" is not a bet, it's just COLLATERAL because they were broke as fuck and needed Watto to pay the entry fee.
The bet thing is entirely separate.

I blame this on RedditLetterMedia effectively rewriting the scenes to make a misleading "funny" review.
>>
>>64472556
>In terms of scripting, Qui-Gon doesn't have a choice, anon.
He went to one goddamn shop

He couldn't shopped around and find somebody willing to exchange credits?
Or exchanged the ship or a smaller, functional one?
>>
>>64470773
Qui-Gon is a blank character, he has no personality at all.
The trade dispute could've been interesting if explored correctly, but it's all an uninteresting mess, confusing and boring.
I have to say that I liked Phantom Meance more than the other two, but they are still bad.
>>
>>64472715
>Qui-Gon is a blank character, he has no personality at all.
S U B J EC T I V E
>>
>>64472700
>He went to one goddamn shop
>He couldn't shopped around and find somebody willing to exchange credits?
Or exchanged the ship or a smaller, functional one?
"And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that."

you speak of scripting and miss the most blatantly obvious line in the movie that clarifies Qui-Gon's predicament.

You speak of wasting time on Tatooine, but scouting around will only prolong the sequence.
>>
>>64472634
So you've made uo your mind. How is anyone going to argue any thing with you when it all comes down to subjective opinions?

>>64472692

pls stop
>>
>>64472634
>Doesn't say anything that isn't subjective.
and subjective elements inform people's opinions of the movie?

I'm sure you enjoy it for entirely subjective reasons too. That doesn't invalidate your opinion.
>>
>>64472752
> Watto said it so it must be true

Please grow up
>>
>>64472752
>You speak of wasting time on Tatooine, but scouting around will only prolong the sequence.
instead lets wait overnight and go to an elaborate death race

No need to shop around. Watto said he has the only part on the planet, and why would he lie about that.
>>
>>64472747
Describe his personality traits then fuccboi.
>>
>>64472788
Are you joking? Please tell me you're joking. That line was to end that question of "Why can't Qui-Gon go somewhere else?" and to focus on Watto and Anakin.

It's clear to me that you have no idea how scripting works. Just stop dude.
>>
>>64472715
He's the embodiment of a space monk, senpai
Just because he has a relaxed and understated style it doesn't mean he has less personality.
I bet you loved the incessant capeshit quips in TFA.
>>
>>64472747
autism

You want to go ahead and tell me the "objective" elements of TPM that you enjoyed?
>>
>>64472805
>wise
>stoic
>loner
>rebel/loose cannon

Also
>fuccboi
tourist pls
>>
File: 1435321471543.jpg (34 KB, 368x263) Image search: [Google]
1435321471543.jpg
34 KB, 368x263
>dipshit prequel fans get called out
>hurrr durr ur just parrotting opinions

every time
>>
>>64472805
A rebel, lives by his own rules, and does things his own way, ignoring the Jedi way and the council. He gives no shits and is determined to come atop victorious. He's also over confident in his own abilities, which results in his downfall as he squares off against Maul.
>>
>>64472829
No.
The point is that there is objectively nothing wrong with the movie that isn't also wrong with the OT.
>>
>>64472817

You're joking if you think that is good writing. Watto says he has the only part, so Qui Gon HAS to wait there, so he can meet Anakin and get that part.

Its literally Watto's word and you're telling me that is sufficient writing?

Is this bait? Whats happening here?
>>
>>64472880
Contrasts well Obi-Wan, who is by the books and obeys any order. Watch AOTC and you can see clear how much he differs from Qui-Gon when Anakin constantly goes against Obi-Wan.
>>
>>64472893
what are these "objective" elements that you are talking about? name one
>>
>>64472868
But they are opinions.
Are you claiming otherwise?
>>
>>64472868
It was already explained why the betting scene is not convoluted and "unnecessary" and it mostly boils down to RLM basically complaining about things that didn't happen (there weren't two bets).
>>
>>64472935
no
>>
>>64472392
>>
>>64470939
how the fuck does someone think like this? I always liked the prequels. /tv/ is not one person!
>>
>>64472936
everything is an opinion

the only objective elements of TPM are the runtime and the aspect ratio.

You dumb faggots have a very loose grasp of the difference between subjective and objective
>>
>>64472905
Did I say that was good writing? Where did I say that? Instead of putting words in my mouth, you should see that Lucas intentionally put that line in there to end that question and to focus on Watto, who owns Anakin. Good writers know how to avoid those situations, but even then good writers also have to go along with it when they can't figure anything else out.

What Watto says in the narrative is the word of god in this case, because characters don't have the room to say otherwise or speak freely because of time restriction. Screenwriters have two hours to tell a story and to not fuck around. Of course Watto could say "go over there," but what's the point of that? What will that do other than prolong the sequence?

No it's not bait. I'm only addressing your stupidity.
>>
>>64472965
stop using words that you don't understand then
>>
>>64470773
episode one was good if they had chosen another character for comedy value other than jar jar it would be a very good star wars film.
>>
>>64473014
>
not conversing=/=lack of understanding
>>
>>64472190

>what does it contribute to the character or narrative?

It opens a way for Anakin to be free and leave the planet.
It shows how much does Qui Gon trust Anakin.
>>
>>64473059
but it sure does give that impression

Don't bring up the "objective flaws" or the PT or the OT if you can't think of a single one.
>>
>>64473097
>It opens a way for Anakin to be free and leave the planet.
>It shows how much does Qui Gon trust Anakin.
and you couldn't have done this with a single bet? You're missing the point entirely
>>
>>64473108
I can, but arguing in favor of the prequels is an utterly lost cause.
I'm done with this
>convo
>>
>>64473136
No he couldn't because Watto failed to mention Selbulba and his top chances of winning. Did you even watch the movie or are you shitposting because it's cool?
>>
>>64473136
>and you couldn't have done this with a single bet
There was only one bet.
>>
>>64473143
anon this is sad
>>
>>64473136
and anakin could have been free from the start, even more streamlined, brilliant.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 1000x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 1000x614
>>64472399
You're at about a 9.
We need you to dial that back to a 4.
>>
>>64473184
Anakin's slavery informs his character
It also gives you an excuse to have a podracing scene

Now you're just saying dumb shit for the sake of it
>>
>>64473238
Why is JJ such a soulless husk?
>>
>>64473136

Yes, you could, but it would have been worse.

If you think this is convoluted imagine if it was condensed in a single scene. Better space it.
>>
>>64472905
Hey anon, go and watch Thank You For Not Smoking. There's a hilarious scene in which Nick Naylor and that Hollywood guy decide to cover up a question with "thank goodness we invented so and so!" It's so true.

It's just scripting 101 in those cases.
>>
>>64473269
>hey Watto, I bet you this ship that Anakin will win the podrace
>if I win, I get the part and Anakin's freedom
>>
>>64472988
>Good writers know how to avoid those situations, but even then good writers also have to go along with it when they can't figure anything else out.
>What Watto says in the narrative is the word of god in this case, because characters don't have the room to say otherwise or speak freely because of time restriction. Screenwriters have two hours to tell a story and to not fuck around. Of course Watto could say "go over there," but what's the point of that? What will that do other than prolong the sequence?
>No it's not bait. I'm only addressing your stupidity.

You have the goddamn nerve to call someone else stupid
>>
>>64473321
and Watto doesn't gush over Sebulba and wants to be the father of his kids. And why would he? Gamblers don't pull out all of their cards at once.
>>
>>64473136
Why even have Watto? Just make the dealings offscreen and have Anakin race for them for the money they need.

Or even better: Instead of needing another convoluted character like his mother just make him an orphan so when Qui-Gon finds out about him they just leave the planet with the money he got from scavenging parts.
No convoluted betting, no convoluted shopping, no convoluted racing and no convoluted mother.
Just a simple streamlined plot, fat-free.
>>
>>64473325
>I don't know screenwriting, but I will shitpost anyway to defend myself!: The Post

>>64473321
kek. Watto would tell Qui-Gon to take a hike. Now way would he agree without a prior bet in place. Do you even understand this simple concept?
>>
>>64473321

What about Anakin's mother? Qui Gon doesn't try to save her as well?
>>
>>64473170
>>64473350
What would you lose if you took Sebulba out?
>>
>>64473359
>convoluted character like his mother
Not convoluted.

Also, Watto is a great character.

You're starting to sound like a TFA actionbabby who thinks fast paced=good pacing.
>>
>>64473406
A villain for the pod racing.

>>64473415
I was making fun of the everything-is-convoluted babbies.
>>
>>64473359
Anon's TPM version:

>Qui-Gon: Obi-Wan, I sense something. A boy is stranded on that desert world. We must go!
>*They go and land*
>Anakin: Thanks for picking me up!
>Qui-Gon: You are very strong in the Force
>Anakin: Yipee!
>Qui-Gon: To Coruscant!
>>
>>64473402
>I tried to free your mother Anakin, but Watto wouldn't have it.

WATCH

THE

MOVIE

NIGGER
>>
>>64473359
why even have the podracing scene? what does podracing have to do with the trade dispute? Just have a silent movie style caption card explaining who anakin is, and how Qui Gon bought him some time earlier.

Streamlined.
Simple.
Objectively good.
Absolutely no way anybody could get confused.
>>
>>64473415

>he would have changed the second bet scene for a Darth Maul tantrum against a control panel
>>
>>64473415
This, entirely this.
>>
>>64473429
>I was making fun of the everything-is-convoluted babbies.
Oh. Poe's law, you know.
>>
>>64470773
Turning Anakin into space Jesus was ridiculous. Jake Lloyd was also horribly miscast. They needed an actor that was at least four years older to make it even remotely believable.
>>
>>64473402
Uh, he tries to free both Shmi and Anakin after Watto talks about Sebulba. Watto says no because it's unfair, so Qui-Gon says "The boy then."
>>
>>64473392

> Watto is telling the truth about having the only part because the script needs him to. Everything happens the way it happens because Qui Gon needs to meet Anakin and there is absolutely no way it could have been handled better with less convenience and coincidenses
> Good writers still write themselves into corners and have to just go with it
> you are not an incredible faggot who "knows" screenwriting
>>
>>64473430

JJ's TPM desu

then more soulless action scenes
>>
>>64473511
>Anon, look man, they have to look elsewhere. Forget about Watto owning Anakin, why trust his word in the first place? Let's have the characters roam around and then go back when they decide that Watto is bluffing. AND not to mention that Watto owns Anakin! Ingenious!
It's time to go outside and play with your neighborhood friends, anon.
>>
>>64470773
>and the trade dispute

The trouble with the trade dispute is that it's really not a very compelling way to start off the saga, nor does it particularly lead to anything interesting before the film is over. If it were somehow shown to lead directly into the formation of the Separatist movement and the incitement of the Clone Wars, that would be one thing - but it's just wrapped up neatly and the "real" story doesn't pick up for another ten years.

In general, the biggest problem of TPM, and the Prequels as a whole, is the story composition. It's clear that Lucas just kind of winged it and didn't give a lot of thought to the movies as a whole when he started writing Episode I.
>>
>>64473429

Why do you need a villain? The point of the scene is for Anakin to display his innate piloting skills. Hes fucking ten literally they are all villains as far as he's concerned.

If he were older I would understand
>>
>>64473487
I genuinely don't understand the logic behind casting such a young actor to play Anakin in TPM and then turning around and hiring Hayden who is the same age as Portman.
>>
>>64473570

Podrace without Sebulba would have been way worse
>>
I've been watching the original films, one a day, this past week.

I enjoyed IV and V, VI was pretty good but flawed and I found TPM to be completely pointless, hollow and devoid of any tension or excitement.

It's just...nothing.
>>
>>64473643
All subjective critisisms.
>>
>>64473557
There's absolutely no way to showcase the Clone Wars and Palpatine's rise to power without political intrigue. Lucas should've rewritten the whole treaty thing and focus on the Trade Federation's subjugation of Naboo, with the Galactic Senate debating on whether or not to step in and mediate the whole debacle. The people of Naboo are killed/dying and the senate isn't doing a damn thing about it forces the Queen to take action and go to Coruscant, but they have to crash land on Tatooine. And so on...

Just another rewrite would've done TPM well.
>>
File: B^U.jpg (7 KB, 186x213) Image search: [Google]
B^U.jpg
7 KB, 186x213
>>64473437
>STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SCRIPT
>THIS IS HOW STUPID YOU SOUND
>WHY ISN'T ANYBODY RESPONDING? ILL POST IT AGAIN
>>
>>64473552
> Listen Anon, the script makes sense and completely works as is, and in no way could have fine tune some of the weaker aspects because, quite frankly, we got the scene to work. Qui Gon has met Anakin and really thats all that matters, who cares of we meander about Tattoine in the second act of the movie? The script works!

I'd say the same to you but I doubt you have any friends
>>
>>64473669
Yes, because all criticisms are subjective.

I'm just saying that consider how strongly I engaged with the first three I find it pretty shocking that I felt absolutely nothing from TPM.
>>
>>64472392

No you fucking retards.

TFA was 10 times better than PT. And you need to be a completely retarded monkey to think otherwise.
>>
>>64473669
can you give some examples of objective criticisms?
>>
>>64473631
Why?

Pls explain what we lose without sebulba.
>>
>>64473671
>Lucas should've rewritten the whole treaty thing and focus on the Trade Federation's subjugation of Naboo, with the Galactic Senate debating on whether or not to step in and mediate the whole debacle. The people of Naboo are killed/dying and the senate isn't doing a damn thing about it forces the Queen to take action and go to Coruscant, but they have to crash land on Tatooine. And so on...
This is pretty close to how it happened.
>>
>>64473688
>Anon, I elect to ignore even the most simplest of narratives and decide to shitpost about lean scripting and basic script principles! I know what what I'm talking about! Look mom! I'm contributing!
>>
>>64473742
But without treaties and legalization of the whole thing. The TF decides to invade Naboo because of trading disputes (maybe show this), and assumes control over the world. Palpatine is playing both sides, of course, as his first step in his rise to power.
>>
>>64473724
I guess i'm a retarded monkey.

>>64473734
no
>>
>>64473724

It was a capeshit movie, it wasn't even Star Wars

You're basically saying that Batman is better than The Phantom Menace, you can't compare them

Trying to say that TFA is 'better' than any of the actual Star Wars movies is a category error
>>
>>64472399

You can stop.

/tv/ is overrun with underage retards. They will never admit that they were wrong as fuck.

It's a great movie. Everybody with a working brain knows that.

Arguing with underage retards is completely pointless.
>>
>>64473557
They were on an age of peace, if it immediately started with pew pew lasers it wouldn't contrast well with the whole "sheev is bringing the galaxy into chaos" thing.
Also it's to mirror the original trilogy which first starts with the bad guys being the top dogs and then being defeated in the last movie.
Meanwhile the prequels start with the good guys in command and then being defeated in the last movie.
It's pure pottery.
>>
>>64473746

> still talking about scripting even though he didn't dispute any point made.

What are you wearing right now anon? I'm genuinely curious and want to get a bet going with me m8s
>>
>>64473570
There are more effective ways to display his skill as a pilot than an overlong scene devoid of tension.

Luke didn't require a scene like that in IV despite his claims of being an amazing pilot. He proved himself when he needed to.
>>
>>64473797
I did but you decided to shit post, as always.
>>
File: sebulba.png (1 MB, 1300x816) Image search: [Google]
sebulba.png
1 MB, 1300x816
>>64473741
hot babes
and every race needs its Dick Dastardly

Pod Racing scene contributed nothing to the plot, but it was pretty exhilarating and sold a lot of toys and video games. There's no point in complaining about it.
>>
>>64473741
What would we lose without Vader?
>>
>>64473773
>But without treaties and legalization of the whole thing.
wut
I haven't watched the movie in while, but it doesn't seem much different from what you're saying.
>>
>>64473775
>no
Then why bring it up in the first place?

Are you going to remind us that the sky is blue?
>>
>>64473784

It's worse than IV and V but better than VI.

And no, it's not a capeshit movie. It lacks the basic elements of capeshit movies. Action is nothing like in capeshit.
>>
>>64473788
>It's a great movie.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: you.jpg (7 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
7 KB, 248x203
>>64473788

>look how superior and exquisite my aged and matured opinions are! Now tally-ho, I'm off to discuss superior motion pictures on that infinitely more gentlemanly of sites, Reddit!
>>
>>64473741
How the fuck would you have any tension without a competitor.
>>
>>64473822
Yeah, you need to watch it in order for it to make sense. Palpatine needs the Queen to sign the treaty in order to make the TF's invasion legal. Without it, they have no leverage and are illegally doing bad things. There's more, but that's the simple understanding of it.
>>
>>64473674
>/v/ reaction image
>caps lock rant
>has autism
>thinks there is objectivity to his criticisms on art

surprising stuff
>>
>>64473789
>They were on an age of peace, if it immediately started with pew pew lasers it wouldn't contrast well with the whole
The first scene has pew pew lazers and a full scale invasion. Enough with your shitty mental gymnastics.
>>
>>64473819
Did you really just compare Vader to Sebulba?

What part of your brain thinks this is a fair and rational comparison?
>>
>>64473797
>try to bully someone on an anonymous imageboard
p pathetic 2 b h

>>64473806
>devoid of tension
nope
>>
>>64473857
Sometimes I wonder what anons look like behind the screen. I'm assuming you're a pimpled face and a fedora wearing lover.
>>
>>64473852

>action sequence every other minute
>ADHD pacing
>no emphasis on dialogue and character development

It's capeshit.
>>
>>64473891
They were both villans that bring tension to the plot.
Are you saying Sebulba shouldn't exist because he is not as powerful as Vader?
>>
>>64473846
no
>>
>>64470773
I agree op

Besides Jar Jar and the casting of Anakin, I think the movie is pretty fun and enjoyable flick.
People are just followers and hate on the prequels because "hurr muh jar jar."
>>
>>64473806

I think that because Anakin is much younger than Luke was, its important to establish earlier on that he is a capable pilot, rather than that skill manifesting itself without no set up which would have been jarring.

>>64473813

Helps establish Anakin somewhat, exciting action scene too. I'm not a particular fan of it but its probably one of the better if not most memorable scene from TPM

>>64473819

>Sebulba and Vader are of equal importance
>>
>hurr it's too childish
>ESB had an army of teddy bears in it

It's like some people don't even get Star Wars
>>
>>64473896
>Nope.

Obviously it's subjective, but at no point did I feel like the outcome was anything other than obvious.

Also, all this anger over children's movies is hilarious.

You wouldn't see this kind of shitflinging in a thread about Winnie the Pooh or Toy Story. Amazing.
>>
>>64473852
>better than VI.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>64473888
Yes, but it doesn't >>IMMEDIATELY<< start with lasers, it starts with a seemingly docile trade dispute.
l2read
>>
>>64473868

There's a whole race filled with alien competitors much older than our character.
>>
>>64473925

>implying any star wars movies have an emphasis on dialogue or character development
>>
>>64473960
FALSE FLAG
FALSE FLAG OT PURIST/TFA TOURIST
>>
>>64473928
Vader's presence is felt throughout the film even when he's not on screen. Sebulba exists in the moment. He isn't necessary to the overall story, or trilogy. Vader is. Sebulba is there as a brief obstacle for a character to overcome.

Vader is an imposing threat to the entire galaxy while Sebulba is there for a kid to prove he's quite good at being a pilot.
>>
>>64473905
I guarantee you that I am better lokking than you.
>>
>>64473987
Background competitors are not villains and don't bring tension, a named character that directly tries to fuck Anakin up is a villain that brings tension.

If there was no Sebulba you autists would complain that the pod racing is too soulless and had no tension.
>>
>>64473896
Eh, you're right, too mean.

>>64473928
One is a main character of the prequel saga and major reoccurring antagonist of the OT and the other is fucking Sebluba
>>
Threads like this make me wonder why I still come here.

I'm 27 and this is how I spend my free time? Reading a bunch of posts written by people getting mad over a children's movie?

I don't know who's more pathetic. You for posting it or me for reading it.
>>
>>64474039
>I guarantee you that I am better lokking than you.
>lokking
That's nice. Are you also an expert of weapons due to your experience playing Call of Duty?
>>
>>64474033
>let's just remove this character because he's not the main villain even though he's important for emotional leverage
>streamlined!!!
>>
>>64474051
Thats stupid anon. The tension shouldn't be coming from beating sebulba, it should be coming from trying to win the race and by extension, his freedom.
>>
>>64474134
>Why do you guys argue about the prequels!
Why did people debate about the world being flat vs round?
>>
>>64474145
At no point have I ever suggested removing Sebulba. My point was that it simply wasn't a fair comparison.
>>
>>64474155
Hey moron, Sebulba is the main source of tension. Without Sebulba, Anakin would win. With Sebulba, it's a tough race. He's that good, as seen through character expressions and dialogue.
>>
>>64474134

>27
>still on 4chan

You should probably reevaluate your life
>>
>>64471145
>>64471145
It's amazing yes
>>
>>64474155
That's like saying the tension shouldn't be coming from beating Vader and Sheev, it should be coming from trying to defeat the Empire and by extension freeing the galaxy.
You absolutely NEED a villain if you want to bring tension, you should be complaining that the prequels don't have enough strong villains, not that is has one.
>>
>>64474224
it's sad. I've seen 50 year olds on /b/. I'm sure there's old aging prunes lurking /pol/
>>
>>64474171
Because they're a bunch of under-evolved, know-nothing idiots.

>>64474224
I do that most days. It tears me up inside.
>>
>>64474214
Listen, this podracing scene establishes Anakin as a great pilot, as before this we would have no reason to believe he would automatically win, nor should he since he ia a kid in what is a very dangerous race. Why is Sebulba required to raise the tension when the tension is already there by the context of the scene alone?
>>
>>64472392
yup, especially when TFA had many prequel moments. "Hey what's that there? Is that the script?"
>>
jesus christ this thread is really sad
>>
>>64474307
> when TFA had many prequel moments

such as
>>
>>64474290
Of course Anakin wants his freedom, but he has to beat Sebulba in order to fulfill that. Therefore, Sebulba is the main source of tension. It's like racing or playing a video game of racing. You have to beat the #1 guy in order to win the whole thing.
>>
>>64474265
You misunderstand, the context of the relationship between Luke and Vader are obviously much deeper with a lot more going on than Anakin and Sebulba. Sebulba is less a villain and more a road block, which is.unnecessary since the whole situation of the podrace is a roadblock in and of itself
>>
>>64474290
Greater stakes makes scenes more interesting
>>
>>64474290
Because Sebulba is a dirty cheater that sabotaged his pod and wants to personally fuck Anakin up because he's the human underdog.
Sebulba represents the winner, the villain that Anakin needs to personally defeat him to win the race.
He isn't just a background character with no personal connection.
>>
Qui-gon don't give AF he just wants to get his gamblin fix. Worst case scenario he kills watto and chills in the ship goin through the hand maidens like fruit roll ups
>>
>>64474318
Watching the mental gymnastics of /tv/ in order to hate on TFA is amazing.
Seriously, one year of sheev posting and suddenly the prequels are good again
>>
>>64474362
>Of course Anakin wants his freedom, but he has to beat Sebulba in order to fulfill that.

No, he has to win the race in order to fulfill that. See what I mean by saying he's unnecessary? Maybe if it were a one on one race we'd be having a different discussion
>>
File: 5464646.jpg (48 KB, 640x552) Image search: [Google]
5464646.jpg
48 KB, 640x552
>>64474425
>>
>>64474400

But the stakes are high enough as it is without spending time setting up what is an unnecessary character.

Like I don't think people even remember Sebulba for the most part. They definitely remember the race though.

>>64474410
Seems like something that the script could have done without
>>
>>64474448
I agree with >>64474400 though. Sebulba raises the stakes. You mention Anakin's objective, but without an obstacle in the way? Anakin mentioned that "he's the only Human who can do it" and it's shown that he's a gifted podracer and mechanic, so there's no doubts that he could finish the race. Put Sebulba in front of him, and things get interesting.
>>
>>64474388
In IV Vader has no direct connection with Luke and Tarkin even less.
So why do they exist? Because the hero needs to fight against SOMEONE.
Without a villain conflict doesn't exist, you can't have the hero fighting against a broad concept of evil, there's no emotional tension in that.

This is writing 101.
>>
>>64474541
But the race is already interesting and those are the stakes. Its establishing him as a pilot, he can say he can do it but we don't know til the race is over.

And sure you can add Sebulba and be like "theres the reigning champ" or whatever but the scene works fine without him.
>>
reading through comments, and I don't think Sebulba needs to be a deep character, but he's been established that he's a podracing regular and always wins. Anakin needs to beat his ass now.
>>
>>64474444
i liked the prequels though. evenn though your get is dope, there is still no point about this arguing. literally nobody will change their mind, everybody will just stroke their ego and thats it
>>
>>64474632
Yeah, I do see what you mean regarding the track. There's a number of obstacles, but it's tough to get into that because of Anakin being the Chosen One and knows what to do when things go sour.
>>
>>64474600

He develops one after Vader kills ObiWan though, whereas Sebulba immediately disappears after the race.

Villains, as you define them, are not 100% necessary for every scene involving tension
>>
>>64474600
Yeah, Vader was pretty pointless in A New Hope, and he's only there to present a threat and to kill Obi-Wan, which creates more conflict in Luke.

You can say the same thing with Sebulba in which he's pointless but poses as a threat, which creates conflict in Anakin.
>>
>>64474681
But thats the thing innit? Even with Sebulba, Anakin is the chosen one, we know he'll win because we know who he ends up becoming
>>
>>64474712
Sebulba disappears because he has been defeated and the pod racing arc is over, him NOT disappearing would be weird and unnecessary.

You didn't explain why villains are not necessary to create tangible tension.
>>
>>64474747
Yeah, that's a given, though. We know he's going to win, but how will he? Sebulba also presents an antagonistic podracer who has a character, unlike the others who are just faceless racers. It's not that engaging.

Without Sebulba, You can root for Anakin, but it will be empty 2bh.
>>
>>64474727
Vadar is not pointless. He is the personification of the Empire for the audience. Sebulba is in the pod racing scene and is gone when its over
>>
>>64474809
Sebulba is the personification of the winning pod racer for the audience. See how simple it is?
>>
>>64474809
Nah, the personification of the Empire is the Death Star itself and Tarkin's iron grip over it. Vader is a mere henchman, who only follows orders. Releasing TIE Fighters to fight the X-Wings was a reaction. The only time he took active initiative is when "several fighters have broken off the main group."
>>
>>64474790

My point wasnt that it was weird that he didn't stick around, but rather that he was there at all in first place.

Villains are all well and good, I think its important to have them developed and realized rather than shoehorned in unnecessarily

>>64474801

This is actually kind of a brillaint point and one I hadn't really considered. I wasn't thinking about the pod race as a race at all, but rather as part of Anakin's characterization. I don't think Sebulba adds any tension really to the scene, but rather functions as someone to beat so that the audience can enjoy the victory at the end of the race. I suppose in that sense he has value and function.
>>
>>64474861
I agree in a previous comment actually
>>
Let me guess: RLM said Sebulba is unnecessary (even though he is). :^))))
>>
>>64474955
>This is actually kind of a brillaint point and one I hadn't really considered. I wasn't thinking about the pod race as a race at all, but rather as part of Anakin's characterization. I don't think Sebulba adds any tension really to the scene, but rather functions as someone to beat so that the audience can enjoy the victory at the end of the race. I suppose in that sense he has value and function.
Thanks, anon. I'll say that, that's the only way to see Sebulba, but I still think, by extension, he presents tension because Anakin has to beat him. Not just the track itself.
>>
>make Anakin 14 years old and a good young actor
>remove Jar Jar entirely and tone down Gungan nonsense
>cut down on midichlorian talk

I just made this movie a 9/10
>>
>>64475070
Do they mention him at all?

>>64475106

Yeah, I got my head pretty far up my own ass, since my initial criticisms were with the scene with Watto and somehow got to debating Sebulba.

I still maintain that he isn't there to add tenaion, or rather, a substantial amount if tension. Just someone for our hero to beat
>>
>>64475175
Mike, don't you have shill money to count?
>>
>>64475206
>Just someone for our hero to beat
Which adds ________
>>
>>64475246
Without an enemy to beat, it'll be empty.
>>
>>64475206
I can agree with that, anon.

As for Watto, he and Sebulba are connected in a way, so I'm guessing that's why the discussion turned into this.
>>
>>64475280
Exactly, it adds tension.
Having someone for our hero to beat adds tension, saying it doesn't is oxymoronic.
>>
>>64471459
Well you still don't seem to understand that qui gon changed his bet because he discovered anakin is strong with the force, not because of sebulba. He settled with just anakin because training him was his main goal.
>>
>>64475216

I like TPM
>>
>>64475246
Excitement, and personifies the race with an actual person. We know Anakin is not going to lose, so we want to enjoy seeing who he beats
>>
>>64474790
>>64474712
>Sebulba disappears
Doesn't he make a cameo in Clones/Revenge?
I think I saw him in a recent rewatch, but he's washed up as fuck.
Probably from the loss itself, because he was a sabotaging asshole.
>>
>>64472399
I was looking forward to the film.

I thought it would be good, it wasn't. I still think the prequels are shit.

Checked
>>
>>64470773
Never really got the hate, sure the thing is flawed but of all the three prequel movies it's the only one that somehow feels and looks the same as the original trilogy.

TFA is rather worthless though.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 1154x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 1154x616
>this thread
>>
>>64471727
Qui Gon is the opposite of afraid, he takes advantage of Watto's overconfidence in Sebulba
he also throws his (anakin's) pod into bet, but the winnings are on watto's end
It's weird, and while it was a straightforward plot mover (all the audience really needs to know is that anakin needs to win) it could have been used to illustrate character traits. Qui Gon manipulates the dice with the force, for instance, which is a good opportunity to emphasize that Qui Gon is a bit of a maverick. Instead, there's no distinct impression, or emphasisl, that Jedi would disapprove over fixing chance games
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 1080x492) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 1080x492
>>64470970
Qui-Gon Jinn is an antinomian?
>>
>>64476941
Looks the same in what sense? Most people say that Sith looks more like the OT.
>>
>>64477479
Visuals. Style.

Sith is 100% 3D crap, green screen. Nothing in this movie remotely looks legit aside from the actors, it's some kind of reverse Roger Rabbit.
>>
File: 1337385995099.gif (189 KB, 220x216) Image search: [Google]
1337385995099.gif
189 KB, 220x216
Dumb shit fucking tards say.
>Le rofl le cakes le xD, Qui-Gon is an idiot for taking a boy over a girl, what is he gay? xDD
>Why didn't he take both?
>Communications disruption doesn't mean an invasion repubtards
I for the first time wanted to choke slam my best friend till he stopped moving.
>>
>>64470773
I love it too, ever since I was 12 and first saw it. I never stopped liking it.
My favorite parts have always been the senate scenes. The idea of an galactic senate representing 1000s of systems is so wacky and great, I wish we could've seen the other planets discussing their own problems.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.