[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The target area is only two meters wide. >That's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: Thermal_exhaust_port.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Thermal_exhaust_port.png
2 MB, 1920x816
>The target area is only two meters wide.
>That's impossible! Even for a computer.

Seriously?

Has anyone here ever seen a hole with a two meter diameter? It's not exactly small. I reckon I could hit it. And I wouldn't even need the Force.
>>
>>64463510
While going hundreds of miles an hour flyin a plane? You're pretty good, kid.
>>
>>64463510
>Has anyone here ever seen a hole with a two meter diameter?
Yea, on your mom dude
>>
>>64463536
Rekt
>>
File: 1451398314118.png (502 KB, 616x595) Image search: [Google]
1451398314118.png
502 KB, 616x595
>>64463536
>>
>>64463536
You don't have to be a jedi to get into OP's mums 2 meter wide hole
>>
>>64463536
>greentexting his sentence instead of just hitting him with the punchline

hello /r/autism
>>
>>64463579
It's funnier that way you autistic faggot
>>
>>64463597
hello reddit
>>
Is SW tech as advanced as WWII powers ?
>>
Is it possible for a WWII bomber to hit that?
>>
>>64463620
hello tumblr
>>
>>64463620
No

We only see two instanced of the Spins tactical combat maneuver in the SW universe, both from very gifted or talented warfighters, young anakin skywalker, and TR-8R. WWII pilots performed Spins all the time.
>>
>>64463567
hello 9gag
>>
>>64463536
Slavery's over you can't be ownin niggas like that.
>>
>>64463679
>WWII pilots performed Spins all the time.

It's a good trick.
>>
>>64463579
>>64463608
le everything is Reddit poster please go
>>
>>64463536
BTFO
>>
>>64463579
>getting this upset over joke formatting on a laotian cave painting website

>>>/v/eddit
>>
they said norhing about a computer

people in the 70s didnt think computers would ever be able to aim better than a man
>>
>>64463693
Wow buddy
Who put a cock in your mouth this morning?
>>
>>64463733
Have you seriously never watched Star Wars?
>>
>>64463510

I like that the people who wish to defend TFA critique this scene but have no problem with Han Solo manually disengaging his lightspeed engine on approach to Starkiller Base. As I keep reminding my friends, it's not nitpicky to hate that scene, because it is what allows the characters to destroy the base. It is the most glaring plot convenience in the whole movie, and they didn't even stick with in universe science to do it. If right before the jump Han had just said to Chewie, "The coordinates are fine, just trust me," and the scene played exactly the same way without the "Now!" stupidity, it would have just been lazy. As it is, Han Solo can accurately judge going 186,000 mi/s when they have breached the shield.
>>
>>64463536
SOMEBODY CALL A DOCTOR THIS MAN IS TOO SAVAGE
>>
Deathstar is as big as the moon. The speed they must be going at to traverse that motherfucker is... well it's really fast. It's not a question of hitting a particular size of target from something like a long distance, it's the timing of it. To be fair, a computer should be able to do that easy. Our targeting systems could do that now.
>>
how did the millennium falcon get so close to the death star trench with nobody noticing?
>>
>>64463760
>>64463726
>>64463714
>>64463714
>>64463760
hello samefag
hello >(You)
>>
>>64463536
rekted/10
>>
>>64463775
I don't remember, do we really see him manually disengage from lightspeed? He could've shout "now" to announce they were coming out of it and had to retake manual control.
>>
>>64463810
It was traveling at 12 parsecs: completely undetectable by radar
>>
>>64463775
He says "now" because he's looking at the countdown timer for when the hyperdrive will deactivate.

Is everything OK now? Do you need a cookie?
>>
>>64463510
>I reckon I could hit it. And I wouldn't even need the Force.

It's hitting a stationary target while in motion that's the problem. It was a problem for most of my friend back in my jerk teenage years when we drove around egging cars every now and then. Miss miss miss miss.. The are less then 6 feet from a PARKED car but being they are leaning out a back window or a sunroof in a moving car going 40ish mph, they 100% miss.

now that I'm older and it's *sigh* random karma payback time and I some times get my own car egged, most teens STILL miss. Couple of egg shells in my drive way, egg shell on the law.. Funny to see most kids STILL can't hit the broadside of a fucking barn if they have to calculate for movement..
>>
File: 1407857478325.png (851 KB, 1079x1068) Image search: [Google]
1407857478325.png
851 KB, 1079x1068
>>64463536
>>
File: urartarded.png (13 KB, 351x156) Image search: [Google]
urartarded.png
13 KB, 351x156
>>64463841
Go home buddy

You're autistic
>>
>>64463510
can someone explained how his blast turned at a 90 degree angle into the hole after traveling along the surface? did I miss something? is he guiding it by remote?
>>
>>64463925
This
You know fighter pilots these days miss targets the size of several side by side tanks while going at almost stall speed from maybe a km or two away? with their nose gun.... 2m wide on a space fighter going nearly orbital velocity.. yeah i hope i'm there to wash your spattered remains off the trench.. and laugh.
>>
>that impossible even for a computer
>torpedo clearly changes direction
>almost as if a computer did it...
>>
File: 1451724406064.png (50 KB, 209x201) Image search: [Google]
1451724406064.png
50 KB, 209x201
>>64463536
brutal
>>
>>64463957
I don't get this either anon
>>
>>64463889

And then he pushes a button to disengage it. A countdown timer for fractional instants of time is ludicrous. Suspension of disbelief relies on plausible assertions. Science allows that one day we could surpass lightspeed. Cool, I'm on board with lightspeed travel. I am not on board with a human being who can accurately time a maneuver like that. He even says the reason for flying in at lightspeed is the shield's fractional refresh rate - so we're talking tiny instants, not seconds, or tenths of seconds. The computer always had o chart a course. Just let the hyperdrive computer just chart the course. It's still dumb that it was Han's big brain that was the first to think of this approach, and not one of the Resistance's bulletproof best pilots in the galaxy, but at least it wouldn't be pants-shittingly retarded
>>
>>64463810

Guns were off because Vader was in the trench. They cease fire on every pass when the TIEs would be in line of fire. But also probably, yes, because of gotta go fast
>>
>>64463579

what is a quote
>>
>>64463957
>>64463996
Lucas confused exhaust for intake. The "exhaust" port is supposedly sucking it in.
>>
>>64463957

They show it in the simulation. It's an arc, because he uses a proton torpedo and not a conventional laser blast, which presumably has mass which is acted on by the gravity of the death star. A 99-mile diameter ship would have some downward pull, but admittedly not enough to probably arc this torpedo the way it did. Source: I am an autist
>>
>>64464040
Exhaust can have intake too
>>
>>64463938
hello ms paint
>>
>>64464083
Then there's your answer, faggot.
>>
>>64464037
hello /r/books
>>
>>64464086

is there a mr paint?
>>
>>64463977

Which is why Poe Dameron picking off Stormtroopers two feet away from Finn is ri-goddamn-diculous.
>>
>>64464081
so it's the gravity of the death star and the vent sucking it in
>>
Why didn't they just put a shield over it that stops physical objects but allows air to pass through?
>>
>>64464139
Yes
Similar to OPs mom
>>
>>64464141

or like a wire mesh drain stopper
>>
>>64464081
>I am an autist
Then why didn't you take into account the death star is mostly hollow and calculate a reasonable approximation of its mass and gravitational pull at the surface?
>>
>>64464181

is it mostly hollow? Let me borrow your ILM making-of art books to verify. we only see a small part of it. There's no telling 98 miles of that thing isn't delicious nougat
>>
>>64464141
Because someone accidentally made a weak spot in the death star? And you know, plot.
>>
>>64463726
>laotian cave painting website
heh
>>
What I found annoying was the scene where the Starkiller base is destroying planets. It was in the same star system as the planet with the resistance, so the planets they were destroying were also in the system, which explains the fireworks the resistance get to watch. But they show at least one planet with people on it being destroyed. So how many planets are we suppose to believe have are inhabited in this solar system? And what the fuck was the First Order hoping to gain by doing this?
>>
>>64463977
>77
Star Wars was released in 1977
>>
>>64463536
>It's not exactly small. I reckon I could hit it. And I wouldn't even need the Force.
>>
File: xdQzI2d.jpg (668 KB, 1813x1201) Image search: [Google]
xdQzI2d.jpg
668 KB, 1813x1201
>>64464205
there's these cross section books, not sure if they're still canon or whatever though
>>
>>64464373
that's a big station...
>>
>>64464401
For moon
>>
>>64464401
for you
>>
>>64464127
which is why it looks badass, at least if it isn't jarring you out of the moment. Can't tell from that reply
>>
>>64464270

Who knows what their motive was? The main problem with TFA's aping of ANH is not the act of doing so, but the failed transfer. The MacGuffin of the Death Star plans no longer has plot significance (in this movie's arc, not in whatever sequel tentpoling needed to be done) since no act actually resolves into a search for Luke. The main characters have no real bearing on the third act. Han and Finn just waltz onto the planet with no unique information. The Resistance knew about the thermal tower. They could have easily sent Bro Damerica to do it at any point. And Starkiller serves no explicit purpose like the Death Star did, which was to be a deterrent to maintain galactic stability. What this movie (and the prequels and ROTJ to some extent) unfortunately does is reduce the empire to an unreasoned evil. They are not the evil Galactic Empire of ANH's opening crawl because they actually have no stated reason for doing what they do. I include ROTJ because it's where we meet the Emperor who is evil incarnate --which works symbolically as a stand-in for the propensity to give in to wicked temptations of power, but makes for slightly thin motivation. However, ROTJ would be a much better film if there wasn't a similar "what the fuck" flaw in the 3rd act as in TFA (with the lightspeed entry/no real plan whatsoever, I guess someone must know how to shut the shield down for us success). In ROTJ, I never understood why the Emperor didn't plan for the contingency of the Rebels actually seizing the generator. Why didn't he float them bad intel of a non-strategic shield generator? It should have just been powered internally on the Death Star and Luke would have had to turn it off before flying the coop. Imagine that, Vader lying there all wounded, panting: Go, son. Your friends are in danger. And Luke--you were right." Luke hustles to shut that shit down like Obi Wan and drags Dad's corpse into a T-16 before busting outta there.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (56 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
56 KB, 400x200
put a damn flap on the exhaust port?
>>
>>64464466

It depends on how much attention you're paying. It's "stormtroopers can't hit shit but the rebels are ace shots" to the power of 10. TIE fighters strafing Jakku can't pick off Finn and Rey when they're in a tent but Poe can bean a single guy in the chest when he's about to corner Finn. It took me out, Jerry. IT TOOK ME WAYYY OUT
>>
>>64464270
It was literally to show they were evil, since the hacks at Disney obviously can't write a decent villain to save their lives.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.