[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk differences between movie and books. I know about characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 485x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 485x200
Lets talk differences between movie and books. I know about characters like Tom Bombadil, lets get into more obscure shit like how characters were portrayed. For example last night an anon said Gimli is really different in the books, can someone elaborate?

Lotr general
>>
thread theme for now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCyZyN2sW4M
>>
best fuckin scene in all three

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmtjCfuRvc
>>
tfw no elf gf :(
>>
>>64457964
tauriel is so hot but i cant bring myself to watch those movies anymore
>>
>>64457007
Gimli is much less involved in the books, he has a few lines of dialogues, and they are all generic formal answers to practical questions, he has no personality. There is one scene though, where he admires the caves of Helm Deeps, and arrange Legolas to go visit them with him once the War of the Rings is over, that's not in the movies, and his characters shines a bit in those scene, but overall he's almost invisible.

Legolas hairs are brown in the books.
>>
>>64458070
makes me wonder if someone were ever to remake the movies many years from now, if theyd include things like
this or Old Man Willow, Tom Bombadil etc
>>
pipeweed isn't marijuana
>>
>>64457964

tfw no hobbit bf
>>
tom bombadil is retarded, leaving him out was the right decision
>>
>>64458070

Gimli is more stern and...dwarf-like in the books. The movies made him too comedic, like a comic relief character. Most of the dwarves in Hobbit were more jolly and shit, which they got right for the films for the most part. Except Thorin had too sudden mood swings and he was too cuntish
>>
During gandalfs fight with the balrog, he and the balrog fall so deep that they end up seeing horrible creatures that could only come out of an HP Lovecraft story. So the two say fuck that and head back up the stairs to continue their fight.
>>
>>64458382
I doubt it, their absence from PJ trilogy is not from his personal preference, it's a narrative decision to make the story hold more tightly together for viewers who wouldn't know anything about the lore beforehand. In a movie you can't afford to have superfluous content that has no relation to the whole or to the ending, the audience needs to have a thing that goes from A to Z without much deviation, otherwise they will get lost and lose interest.

Who is this guy? Why is he doing that? Why is that guy we've seen gone? Who was that?

These questions need to be kept minimal, and if they arise, they need to have reconnect with the plot at some point or with the ending. Tom Bombadil, old man willow, the caverns don't have any of that. They had the Old Man willow part hidden in the Fangorn scenes, when Pippin and Merry drink the water and the tree nearby engulfs them under his roots, so you got the superficial part of it there. The rest isn't necessary.

In a book you have much more freedom, the reader will be involved for many days/week, you can go in many directions, in a movie you can't do that, you don't have enough time.

In a future LOTR remake, I'm sure Gimli would still have that comic relief role, a role he doesn't have in the book. He's pretty much the only comic relief opportunity in the whole story, him and merry/pip.
>>
>>64458495

He was literally just a cameo appearance in the book with no actual purpose. That whole segment could have been left out.
>>
>>64458495

He really wasn't all that bad. It would've made a great scene for the extended version tbqh.
>>
>>64458533
The Hobbit book dwarves are even more bland and empty than Book gimli, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>64458543
That part is glossed over so much and theres only like two lines regarding it but it really does set the imagination on fire that Gandalf is beyond words to even describe what hes seen. I love that kind of shit.
>>
>>64457007
Who the fuck was Tom Bombadil anyway?
I remember reading that part very fast because the songs were shit and I wanted them to move on
>>
Why were bookfags so assblasted by this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdp5_12zW0

Isn't it good that Gandalf avoids Sue status and you get to see something that is tangible and not just "the dark black evil" put fear in his heart?
>>
>>64458986
I've never heard any bookfag seriously annoyed by that scene.
>>
>>64459009
it shows gandalf being defeated when in the books he sort of has that encounter knowing rohan is about to show up and smuggly talks to the witch king until rohans horns blow
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.